Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2010, 15:30   #496
BHPian

One more negative experience at KPN - on a recent trip from Bangy to Chennai, the AC was not very effective from the beginning. The bus was very noisy too. It left Bommanahalli at 11.40 PM and by 2.30 AM I noticed that the bus was entering Vellore town. Around 4.00 AM it had crossed the Sriperumbudur toll plaza. Exactly at that time the AC was switched off. I was also surprised when he reached T Nagar by 5.00 AM. On the highway, the driver had little regard for other vehicles and did not hesitate to cut lanes. Even inside Chennai city he was driving at speeds in excess of 60 kmph.
As Srikanth mentioned the quality of their service is deteriorating. They probably have the largest fleet and many of their crew are arrogant with passengers. From Chennai the buses invariably leave behind schedule. They do not have a decent waiting place - if it rains passengers have a harrowing wait and cannot avoid getting wet.
Old 22nd September 2010, 15:55   #497
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnaganathan View Post
One more negative experience at KPN - on a recent trip from Bangy to Chennai, the AC was not very effective from the beginning. The bus was very noisy too.
Are you referring to a A/c Sleeper bus, if so it could be a case of both of us talking of the same bus, because strangely the bus which I boarded between Chennai - Dindigul (Palani being the destination) had a KA registration number, may be on account of more regulars in the Chennai - Bangalore sector KPN must have decided to move off this bus to the low priority route like that of one which I took.
Old 22nd September 2010, 15:59   #498
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnaganathan View Post
... the driver had little regard for other vehicles...

... the quality of their service is deteriorating. They probably have the largest fleet and many of their crew are arrogant with passengers. From Chennai the buses invariably leave behind schedule. They do not have a decent waiting place - if it rains passengers have a harrowing wait and cannot avoid getting wet.
+1 to what you said.

KPN's services always run behind schedule. Never ever have I found their Chennai - Coimbatore service reach the destination not less than 1 hour late. Most of their buses are poorly maintained too

Any day, I would prefer ARC Tours (A/C) or Parveen (Non AC) for Chennai - Coimbatore segment.
Old 22nd September 2010, 17:08   #499
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
+1 to what you said.

KPN's services always run behind schedule. Never ever have I found their Chennai - Coimbatore service reach the destination not less than 1 hour late. Most of their buses are poorly maintained too

Any day, I would prefer ARC Tours (A/C) or Parveen (Non AC) for Chennai - Coimbatore segment.
How about ABT on Coimbatore-Chennai route? I guess their Bangalore services are prompt.
Old 22nd September 2010, 17:30   #500
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
How about ABT on Coimbatore-Chennai route? I guess their Bangalore services are prompt.
I think ABT are the best guys around now if you are looking at any TN destination be it from Chennai or from Bangalore. They have managed to successfully do what Conti was not able to do, maintain very high standards and expand your network as well at a fast pace. There network may not match the likes of KPN yet but its only a matter of time. Also interestingly they have managed to reach this stage with a Full A/c fleet devoid of Volvos'.
Old 22nd September 2010, 23:02   #501
Senior - BHPian

Any experience with the B9R multi-axle Volvo bus running between Bangalore and Trivandrum by Sharma travels? Planning to book tickets for my family this weekend.
Old 22nd September 2010, 23:32   #502
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
Any experience with the B9R multi-axle Volvo bus running between Bangalore and Trivandrum by Sharma travels? Planning to book tickets for my family this weekend.
If it is from tvm to blr try sofialines multi axle , their buses arereally good and punctual service as well
Old 22nd September 2010, 23:51   #503
BHPian

Quote:
A friend of mine took the Sharma multi-axle to Kayamkulam and was disappointed with the service. It started close to an hour late and kept stopping at major junctions trying to pick up people, which lead to delay. I've booked on Sofia Lines for this Friday in fact.
Old 23rd September 2010, 00:03   #504
Senior - BHPian

Thanks. I did not see Sofialines listed in redbus.in. Booked tickets for Sharma. Hope it will be fine.
Old 23rd September 2010, 10:15   #505
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
I think ABT are the best guys around now if you are looking at any TN destination be it from Chennai or from Bangalore.
My experience with ARC is a tad better than that with ABT. Both are on par, i would say, in terms of maintaining schedules, buses, crew, etc. Where ARC scores is, in terms of creature comforts such as better seats with calf support and cushioning, better blankets, water bottle.

Quote:
they have managed to reach this stage with a Full A/c fleet devoid of Volvos'.
That's true. It proves two things:
1. You don't need a Volvo or Merc or Isuzu for a super-comfortable premium bus service, ALs are good enough
2. Being customer-centric makes a hell lot of difference, rather than simply sticking on to legacy or brand name
Old 23rd September 2010, 10:28   #506
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
SRM and Sophia Lines are best in Bangalore-Trivandrum route, if concerned about running time.
SRM operates two multi axle Volvo services via Kerala route and TN route.
Old 25th September 2010, 09:44   #507
MCR
BHPian

Bangalore-Mysore

Travelled by KSRTC Merc yesterday evening from Bangalore to Mysore.

Interiors :
The bus has funky LED lit interiors. The upper luggage holder deck is all plastic. The AC vents can control the amount flow but not the direction of flow. The reading lamps are good. The interior feels plasticky and there is no carpeting.

Seats :
The seats are not as chunky and comfortable as in Volvo. Also the Hip point of the seat is set higher and this meant inadequate back support. Under thigh support is not as good in Volvo. The seat recliner on my seat was damaged and this meant the seat would comeback to its original position. This was not expected in a brand new bus.

AC :
The AC is pretty good as well as the circulation.

Drive (Perception) :
The pick-up is surely missing. I could see the bus struggling to move ahead after slowing down for speed breakers. This in spite of the bus being in first gear. The bus takes a lot of time to attain triple digit speeds, once there, cruises comfortably. I feel the turbo-lag is huge and the first two gears are very sluggish. This is because, the bus struggles to move ahead in these gears.

Ride Quality :
Excellent and smooth. The engine and road noise is very well insulated.

Comparo :

Compared to Volvo, Merc is surely not as nimble and luxurious. But it is still better than Isuzu.
My Rankings,
1.Volvo
2.Merc
3.Isuzu
Old 25th October 2010, 13:25   #508
BHPian

One doubt on KSRTC(KK) boarding point. I have booked one ticked from Bangalore to Ernakulam. Boarding point kept is Shantineketan bust stand. Now most people are telling Christ college is the normal boarding point. Im a bit confused as I didnt see this among the boarding point options that was provided and Shantiniketan is bit inside when compared to the normal route. Can any one traveled before confirm if bus comes to Shanthineketan depot?
Old 25th October 2010, 13:33   #509
BHPian

The last time I took a KPN from BLR to Nagercoil, the A/C developed some problems after A2B. Then he reduced the temp so much to compensate for the circulation issue that it started condensing and leaking water right on top of my seat and couple of other seats. It was a horrible horrible time as I couldn't move to another seat as they were all booked. Had to use the blanket and after some time it got drenched completely. My first choice is always ABT though their seats are not so comfortable, but at least you have an on-time journey and courteous staff ( relatively).
Old 25th October 2010, 13:49   #510
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
..... I boarded between Chennai - Dindigul (Palani being the destination) had a KA registration number, may be on account of more regulars in the Chennai - Bangalore sector KPN must have decided to move off this bus to the low priority route like that of one which I took.
Buses leaving from Palani to Blore have a KA number... but this is a new info for me as To chennai having a KA number. Soon or later they will get new registration numbers I believe

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks