Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2011, 16:11   #661
Team-BHP Support

Re: Intercity Bus travel reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
The driver can certainly contribute to the mileage by proper driving. Why do you feel that the driver cannot contribute? A properly driver bus will certainly give better mileage than a rashly driven bus.

In Kerala, with the introduction of a mileage target, the accident rates came down from 0.39 to 0.19 per Lakh kms operated. This is because the drivers changed their style of driving - hence the corporation saves on fuel as well as expenses on accidents!

If you are talking of KaSRTC, they have an AMC with Volvo, and hence all spares are the responsibility of Volvo. If there is a breakdown, Volvo responds to the call and takes action to get the bus back to road.
On some stretches agreed, the driver can control his speed and get a better mileage. But what on stretches like the Shiradi ghat? Also, how do they account for traffic jams?

About the spares from Volvo, I very seriously doubt that! I/my friends have been in quite a few Volvo breakdowns on the Pune-Mangalore and Bangalore-Mangalore route and each time, a normal KaSRTC bus came in and carried out repairs. If you see some of the old Volvos plying on the Blore-Mlore route, you'll see broken mirrors, side-panels, the gear changed replaced with local spares (the one you'll find on a Rajhamsa).

When I first travelled in a Volvo (2005), the driver did stop at Kundapura (where there are Volvo technicians) to get things checked. But nothing such of late.
Old 9th February 2011, 19:31   #662
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
On some stretches agreed, the driver can control his speed and get a better mileage. But what on stretches like the Shiradi ghat? Also, how do they account for traffic jams?
I am sorry, but I find this foolish. The driver is expected to control his style of driving to achieve the said mileage. Buses running on ghat routes will be accounted for differently - since they would run more on lower gears and hence consume more fuel.
Old 10th February 2011, 14:21   #663
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Please remember that the Shirali ghat section is only 50 kms of total distance of around 350 km. If not at these ghat sections, the driver is expected to drive economically at other places, wherever possible. This also excludes traffic jams. Not every driver is expected to maintain the overall target of 4.5 kmpl. Each route has its own target and it is enough if the driver achieves these.
Old 11th February 2011, 12:10   #664
BHPian

I had a chance to travel from Chennai to Trivandrum two days ago by the famous SRM Volvo Multi-axle (Reg no. KA-01 AA 757). Departing Chennai at 08:00 pm, the bus reached Thirunelveli at 4:00 am, Nagercoil at 05:20 am and Trivandrum (Manorama Junction) at 07:00 am. The whole leg was done in 11 hours flat!

Although there were two halts (between 11:10 pm and 11:20 pm and between 4:00 am and 4:10 am) for change of driver, only the first one qualifies as a halt. The second halt for driver change happened in Thirunelveli when passengers were alighting and some time was taken up for washing the front windshield.

The one who took to the wheel from Chennai (and who also did the Thirunelveli-Trivandrum stretch) was a "rough" driver. His driving was characterized by frequent downshifts to the second gear straight from the fifth/sixth gears and again back to the fifth/sixth gear. The Nagercoil-Trivandrum stretch was covered in one-and-a-half hours in medium traffic that mostly comprised trucks and buses. In one instance he overtook five trucks in a single overtaking maneuver. Had it not been for this driving style, it would have taken even more time to cover the Nagercoil-Trivandrum distance.

The other driver had a steady driving style but he was by no means slow.

It still beats me to think how a bus could cover the distance from Chennai to Trivandrum in 11 hours!!
Old 11th February 2011, 16:06   #665
Senior - BHPian

SRM is known for fast and timely service at least for me.
They do Ernakulam - Bangalore in 8 hrs (10.30 pm Vyttila; 6.30 am-Madiwala). It sometimes reaches faster than 7pm dep Kallada B9R (Alleppy-Bangalore)

Last edited by coolclouds : 11th February 2011 at 16:16.
Old 12th February 2011, 21:36   #666
BHPian

It still beats me to think how a bus could cover the distance from Chennai to Trivandrum in 11 hours!!

I was a regular in this stretch from 1995 for abt 8years.Fastest I ever made it was about 13hours once in Rathi Meena (are these guys still around?)and once surprisingly in a SETC rattletrap (I think it was RGTC then!). First trip wasaround1985 in TTC which took about 18 hours!!! For me I had to catch the 3 PM RathiMeena service to make it to TRV before 7AM. Other operators were SRM (non volvos of course then) , a service called "Tippu Sultan"and briefly NJK. KPN I think never touched the route (they are strong in TRV BLR though). But TRV MAA had services from the early 1970s. I remember my Dad mentioning about Pallavan services then. Kerala SRTC never had a service although they did operate a push back 2 x 2 between COK and MAA in the mid 1990s.

Last edited by TKMCE : 12th February 2011 at 21:37.
Old 13th February 2011, 19:32   #667
BHPian

Re:BLR Ernakulam Airavaths

Hi
A couple of quick questions. I have to go to Aluva this week from Bangy. Had a booking for Garib Rath but it is a full train and got a side middle birth. I also have lots of luggage - one big suitcase and one biggish bag and another bag with the office gadgets.

Thinking of cancelling the Garibrath since with a side middle birth and me not being the slimmest guy around , I dot think I am going to have a luxurious ride.

Now looking at volvo options - Karntataka SRTC seems to have 4 Airavaths as per their website - 7.30/8.15/9 PM and a 9.30 club class.

All these are starting from Mysroe road and next stops at Gandhi Nagar which is the most convenient for me .

1 If I have to reach before 7.30 AM at Aluva which is the best bus (all 4 right now have seats avaialble)
2 WIl lI be charged for all these luggage (all routine stuff - books clothes and assorted junk of 4 years). Also can I stow all these in the Volvo luggage compartment under the bus or willthe crew create problems because of the weight/bulk ecv??
3 Since I have all these bulky luggage should Ii go to Mysroe road to board or can I do it from Gandhi Nagar?? Also will there be problems getting down at Aluva becuae of the same reason- now they have a official boarding point at AlLuva

Any advice appreciated as it is the first time I am thinking of travelling in a bus with big luggage and also long time since i took a Airavath from Blr (Did a couple of trips in the other direction)

Thanks in advance.
Old 13th February 2011, 20:38   #668
Senior - BHPian

Re: BLR Ernakulam Airavaths

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKMCE View Post
Thinking of cancelling the Garibrath since with a side middle birth and me not being the slimmest guy around , I dot think I am going to have a luxurious ride.
Contrary to popular expectations, I hear that the SMBs are pretty comfortable. But getting is a tortuous experience according to some. Luggage space is badly compromised in GRs, and hence could be an issue for you.

Quote:
All these are starting from Mysroe road and next stops at Gandhi Nagar which is the most convenient for me .
I guess you mean Shanti Nagar. IIRC, KaSRTC has pickups at Satellite, Shantinagar, Dairy Circle, Konappana Agrahara and Electronic City.

Quote:
1 If I have to reach before 7.30 AM at Aluva which is the best bus (all 4 right now have seats avaialble)
As of now, I'd suggest the Club Class. They are putting an ETA of 0731 for EKM, and the bus has been spotted reaching there before this time. Plus, this bus does not go into any town en-route. So, this bus should be making an early arrival at Ernakulam.

Quote:
2 WIl lI be charged for all these luggage (all routine stuff - books clothes and assorted junk of 4 years). Also can I stow all these in the Volvo luggage compartment under the bus or willthe crew create problems because of the weight/bulk ecv??
I was once charged for luggage - I had one carton with me (I was shifting some of my books from bangalore to thrissur), and a trolley bag. I was charged Rs. 100 for luggage. I guess it depends on the conductor.

Quote:
3 Since I have all these bulky luggage should Ii go to Mysroe road to board or can I do it from Gandhi Nagar?? Also will there be problems getting down at Aluva becuae of the same reason- now they have a official boarding point at AlLuva
No problems.. Since Aluva is an official alighting point, the crew will drop you as well. But let them know the previous night itself. Buses stop for an appreciable amount of time at Shantinagar - so putting in your luggage would not be an issue.
Old 14th February 2011, 14:07   #669
Senior - BHPian

Traveled from Trichur to Bangalore yesterday in 8PM KeSRTC A/c "AIR" bus. The bus reached Bangalore at 5.15am via Palakkad and the staff were very good.

I was sitting in the last row and never felt like I am traveling in an air suspension bus. I was thinking of the air suspension buses in 90's (Like Kallada's first generation buses) where the suspension was as good as a Volvo.
Old 14th February 2011, 14:33   #670
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
I was sitting in the last row and never felt like I am traveling in an air suspension bus. I was thinking of the air suspension buses in 90's (Like Kallada's first generation buses) where the suspension was as good as a Volvo.
Is that the Tata Globus service? I couldn't understand what you implied by the quoted part of your post - you meant to say it was as good as a volvo, or that you felt the suspension was no better than a regular suspension bus?

Last edited by silversteed : 14th February 2011 at 14:35.
Old 14th February 2011, 14:39   #671
BHPian

Quote:

I was a regular in this stretch from 1995 for abt 8years.Fastest I ever made it was about 13hours once in Rathi Meena (are these guys still around?)and once surprisingly in a SETC rattletrap (I think it was RGTC then!). First trip wasaround1985 in TTC which took about 18 hours!!! For me I had to catch the 3 PM RathiMeena service to make it to TRV before 7AM. Other operators were SRM (non volvos of course then) , a service called "Tippu Sultan"and briefly NJK. KPN I think never touched the route (they are strong in TRV BLR though). But TRV MAA had services from the early 1970s. I remember my Dad mentioning about Pallavan services then. Kerala SRTC never had a service although they did operate a push back 2 x 2 between COK and MAA in the mid 1990s.

Folks,
3 days back me and my friend had some work in Nagerkoil.Finished around 9.0pm had dinner in gowrishankar and reached b/s.Surprised that a KPN multiaxle 9.45 had seats.Bus left at 10.pm sharp and was in Tambaram @ 6.55 hrs.

tx
Old 14th February 2011, 15:19   #672
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Is that the Tata Globus service? I couldn't understand what you implied by the quoted part of your post - you meant to say it was as good as a volvo, or that you felt the suspension was no better than a regular suspension bus?
Sorry, if you got confused.

Yes, it was the same Globus service. The suspension was very poor at least for the back seats especially on Trichur-Walayar stretch. I felt the same with many of the air buses nowadays.

I was remembering those Kallada buses in 90's (I guess, their first gen air buses with lot of innovative designs) driven through Kochi city traffic and the entire bus floating while the driver applies brakes/someone gets in to the bus. Their suspension were so soft.

Last edited by coolclouds : 14th February 2011 at 15:21.
Old 14th February 2011, 16:27   #673
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, it was the same Globus service. The suspension was very poor at least for the back seats especially on Trichur-Walayar stretch. I felt the same with many of the air buses nowadays.
The globus is absolutely "impartial". The ride is the same wherever you sit - its horrible! I was told by a top officer of KeSRTC that the buses are frequently getting cancelled for want of spares - it seems TATA is unable to supply spares for these buses - especially those related to the retarder and the airconditioning. I was told that these buses would be returned to TATA shortly for complete overhaul - they expecting the same buses to run for another two years

Quote:
I was remembering those Kallada buses in 90's (I guess, their first gen air buses with lot of innovative designs) driven through Kochi city traffic and the entire bus floating while the driver applies brakes/someone gets in to the bus. Their suspension were so soft.
Those "floating" buses are no more. I was told by an operator that the suspensions are stiffer these days, to give longer life. The softer suspensions, they say, give off faster. The new lot of Volvos come with pretty hard suspension these days - so much, that I couldn't really distinguish between ride quality of a regular bus and an air-suspension bus!
Old 16th February 2011, 12:16   #674
BHPian

Thanks Binaiks for your reply

I saw your post late, so ended up at Satellite. As as you said Shanti Nagar would not have been an issue (or in my case may have been as well since the conductor on my bus - the 1930 Airavath service to EKM from Satellite) seemed to be very new on the route and actually told one guy who got in at Shanti Nagar without reservation and wanted to purchase a ticket to Trichur, to get off since according to our man the bus goes to Ernakulam via Salem , Coimbatore and Palakkad but not Trichur Fortunately the driver came to the rescue and a ticket was issued to Trichur byepass!!!

I didnt reserve in advance as seats were available in all 4 buses (7.30/8.15/9 and 9.30 Club Class) although the last two were filling up fast. Anyway reached Satellite at 6.30 and the 7.30 bus was already parked. Conductor was clueless about Aluva but the driver was nearby and he told me that I have to purchase an EKM ticket and unloading luggage will not be a problem. He opened the boot and I pushed the stuff in. Conductor told that since one of my bags was a big suitcase he has to charge me for the same - 51Rs - manual receipt issued. Was also given seat No 6, aisle seat in second row. The guy might have been below average in Kerala geography but above average in English , told me politely to take care of my laptop if I had one as bag lifting is getting too common and when the bus reached Alwaye, not only did the guy remember about my luggage but without asking unloaded the heavy stuff by himself. Was glad to tip him although he never expected one -very good service!!!

Driving was excllent , bus never entered any bus stand including Palghat or Trichur and I was at Alwaye byepass by 6.20 AM. Dinner stop was not at the usual rip off near Krishnagiri, but at a very clean place somewhere after Hosur which had a Mc Donald, Coffee Day and a very reasonable Sri Krishna Inn. Very clean rest rooms also - hardly any buses were stopping here though - just saw one KPN service that is all There was another brief halt before Trichur for 10 min

Overall, an excellent service!!!. Glad that I cancelled the GR ticket. The xtra expense was worth it!!!

A litle bus spotting : all the KeSRTZC Globuses now seem to be running -saw the 6.30 PM Kottayam and the 7.30 PM Trichur at Satellite. Also during holidays when every bus is full, there are two optons to CJB which you may still get seats at last minute. There is one Karnataka Sarige via Mysore, Sathy at around 6.30 PM (which you can reserve tickets in advance) and a TNSTC around 8 PM which goes via Saty but does not go via Mysore but instead takes the direct route from BLR. Bus hopping via Salem is tedious and not recommended, so it is better to take atleast one bus all the way through to CJB and these are the last to fill up.

Last edited by TKMCE : 16th February 2011 at 12:28.
Old 16th February 2011, 12:44   #675
Senior - BHPian

I've booked a ticket in the KeSRTC SDX AirBus to Palakkad that starts from the Satellite Bus Stand at 21:30hrs for tomorrow. Any reviews on this service? I remember getting into a SDX bus on a saturday morning (around 4am) to reach Majestic from Madiwala. It was very comfortable. Is it the same bus?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks