Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2011, 17:52   #1276
BHPian

Re: Intercity Bus travel reviews

But why should KeSRTC increase the fare? Has the permit charges also increased?

Also, does TNSTC charge the same fare as KeSRTC while doing Palakkad-Coimbatore is the charge different?
Old 25th November 2011, 18:24   #1277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
But why should KeSRTC increase the fare? Has the permit charges also increased?

Also, does TNSTC charge the same fare as KeSRTC while doing Palakkad-Coimbatore is the charge different?
On interstate routes, the corporations are required to charge the fares that the particular state government has approved. That is, if a KeSRTC runs to TN, then KeSRTC has to charge TN fares for the portion run in TN.

Both TNSTC and KeSRTC would charge the same fares between two points, provided they run on the route - the fare charged between CBE and Palakkad would be the same in either operator's buses (of the same class).

TNSTC's Express buses would charge the same fare as KeSRTC's Fast Passenger buses.

This is why KeSRTC finds is profitable to run buses to Karnataka than to TN - KeSRTC gets to charge a good 85 paise per km for Express , while could charge a paltry 38 paise/km in TN and 65ps/km in Kerala.

Quoting an example from my blog:
Quote:
The Ernakulam-Bangalore route - there are three different routes between these two cities. The first route goes via Coimbatore-Hosur, the Second via Thrissur-Nilambur-Gudalur-Mysore and the Third via Kozhikode-Bathery-Mysore. In the first and second routes, the buses would have to travel through TN. Let us take an example of an imaginary Super Express of Kerala SRTC running between the two cities, in all the three routes.

In Route 1: Via Coimbatore - the bus would travel 171 kms in Kerala, 358 kms in TN and 35 kms in Karnataka. (Total Kms: 564) The bus would be able to charge an end-to-end fare of Rs. 277 (Kerala rounds off its fares to the next multiple of 5, so the fare would be Rs. 280). Breakup of the fare would be Rs. 111.15 for the 171kms in Kerala (@65 ps/km), 136.04 for the 358kms in TN (@38ps/km - SD Fares) and 29.87 for the 35 kms in Karnataka (@85 ps/km - Semi-Deluxe fares).

Route 2: Via Gudalur-Mysore - the bus would travel 229.9 kms in Kerala, 38 kms in TN and 238 kms in Karnataka (Total Kms: 505.9). The end-to-end fare would be Rs. 367 (rounded off to Rs. 370). The breakup would be Rs. 149.4 for 229.9 kms in Kerala, Rs. 14.44 for 38 kms in TN and Rs. 366.17 for 238 kms in Karnataka.

Route 3: Via Kozhikode-Mysore - the bus travels 329 kms in Kerala and 236.2 kms in Karnataka. Total kms: 565.2. The end-to-end fare would work out to 414.6 (Rounded off to 415). The bus makes Rs. 213.8 for the 329kms in Kerala and 200.77 for the 236.2 kms distance in Karnataka!
Now TN as approved higher fares - 42 paise for Ordinary, 56 paise for Express, 60 Paise for Super-Deluxe, 70 paise for Ultra Deluxe, 90 paise for AC and 110 paise for Volvo. So KeSRTC is able to recover more money per km.
binaiks is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th November 2011, 18:40   #1278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
On interstate routes, the corporations are required to charge the fares that the particular state government has approved. That is, if a KeSRTC runs to TN, then KeSRTC has to charge TN fares for the portion run in TN.
Thanks Binai! You are a Treasure Trove of Information with regards to buses.
Old 28th November 2011, 23:36   #1279
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys!

I need to book some Bangalore-Chennai tickets.

Do the KSRTC Club Class Multi-axle Volvo's have toilets on board? Or where do they usually stop for a break? Are the toilets clean?

Cheers!
Old 29th November 2011, 08:43   #1280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post

Do the KSRTC Club Class Multi-axle Volvo's have toilets on board? Or where do they usually stop for a break? Are the toilets clean?
On-board toilets are not offered by any operator (except Olivea - who offer what they call an "Executive" service). KaSRTC Club Class buses stop at decent places these days - they stop at the fuel station near Shoolagiri (towards Chennai) - the toilets are in good shape there.
binaiks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2011, 11:19   #1281
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
Hey guys!

Cheers!
Quote:
On-board toilets are not offered by any operator (except Olivea - who offer what they call an "Executive" service)...

Olivea claims to have toilets, but most of their buses DO NOT have working toilets on board. If you want a minimum travel time and space and other amenities, then go ahead and book tickets. Their friday and sunday services almost always get booked very fast. Week days services cost as much as a Shatabdi ticket.

I'd posted my review of Olivea a few pages back. Take a look.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2011, 20:26   #1282
Senior - BHPian

I need to book ticket from Madras to Kochi for next week online through redbus. However, all tickets are sold out it seems(don't prefer upper berth because elderly people are travelling with Me)
So, I am thinking of booking Madras to Coimbatore instead and Later Catch Bus from Coimbatore to Muvattupuzha.
I would like to Know Which is the preferred A/C Semi Sleeper Bus in Madras-Kovai Route and preferably reaching earliest. How is Conti Travels and "Barathi Travels"?

Last edited by deepclutch : 11th December 2011 at 20:28.
Old 11th December 2011, 20:34   #1283
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
I need to book ticket from Madras to Kochi for next week online through redbus. However, all tickets are sold out it seems(don't prefer upper berth because elderly people are travelling with Me)
So, I am thinking of booking Madras to Coimbatore instead and Later Catch Bus from Coimbatore to Muvattupuzha.
I would like to Know Which is the preferred A/C Semi Sleeper Bus in Madras-Kovai Route and preferably reaching earliest. How is Conti Travels and "Barathi Travels"?
Conti Travels is a good operator - but their service on the Chennai-Coimbatore route doesn't seem to be having great reputation with regards to time taken. I haven't heard of the operator called "Barathi" travels - could be a regional operator.

ARC/ABT would be the best bets if they still have tickets available. Parveen/SRM are also reliable operators on that route. Alternatively, try out the KPN Multi-axle running to Ernakulam from Chennai - since the bus leaves very late, they arrive late at Cochin and is not a very preferred bus for many. The bus is a very new one, and runs dedicatedly on this route.
binaiks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2011, 22:32   #1284
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Book only in regular services. I had very bad experiences with weekend special services. In addition to Binai's recommendation, you may find Mettur Super Service, City Travels, SRT etc which are `ok'.
coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2011, 00:14   #1285
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Conti Travels is a good operator - but their service on the Chennai-Coimbatore route doesn't seem to be having great reputation with regards to time taken. I haven't heard of the operator called "Barathi" travels - could be a regional operator.

ARC/ABT would be the best bets if they still have tickets available. Parveen/SRM are also reliable operators on that route. Alternatively, try out the KPN Multi-axle running to Ernakulam from Chennai - since the bus leaves very late, they arrive late at Cochin and is not a very preferred bus for many. The bus is a very new one, and runs dedicatedly on this route.
I want to find a A/C Bus leaving from Madras in the evening 4-5PM, reaching by early morning in Coimbatore. But Seems like Only Ernakulam Services are having that departure timings and tickets are not available at least online and I am booking ticket online because, I fear it will be difficult to get the ticket from Madras during 22nd of this Month because of Christmas Holiday Rush?

Is KSRTC running schedules as usual in Kerala-Coimbatore(MP issue) Since We would be Reaching Coimbatore in the Morning.
I think KSRTC is the Easiest option available from Coimbatore to reach Muvattupuzha.I know, Supaa,No.1 etc have had Bus Services to Ernakulam, But do they have morning services?
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Book only in regular services. I had very bad experiences with weekend special services. In addition to Binai's recommendation, you may find Mettur Super Service, City Travels, SRT etc which are `ok'.
I know. have experienced the hassles travelling in regular tourist buses used as special buses charging atrocious amounts

Thanks

Last edited by deepclutch : 12th December 2011 at 00:20. Reason: formatted the post
Old 12th December 2011, 08:30   #1286
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is KSRTC running schedules as usual in Kerala-Coimbatore(MP issue) Since We would be Reaching Coimbatore in the Morning.
I think KSRTC is the Easiest option available from Coimbatore to reach Muvattupuzha.I know, Supaa,No.1 etc have had Bus Services to Ernakulam, But do they have morning services?
Newspapers have reported that KeSRTC has resumed its schedules on the Coimbatore route. Hope things do not go bad on the day you need to travel. Supaa has a service to Ernakulam at 0700 AM, it is an AC bus (iT09).
Old 12th December 2011, 17:56   #1287
BHPian

I found KPN CHN-EKM Multi Axle very reliable.It leaves from chennai at 8 pm.It stops for dinner by 9pm after city limits and then it picks up speed like anything.It clocked Krishnagiri at 01:15Am the day i was traveling.So its just like 3 to 3.5 hrs Chennai- krishnagiri avoiding city traffic and dinner break.In GPS i found speed clocked 138KM/HR in a stretch near Ambur.Refueled at salem pump by around 2:30 and dropped me at TCR bypass by around 7:05 AM. Return, i boarded from EKM at 8 Pm and got dropped in Chennai by 7:30 AM.

There is a tricky way to get tickets in KPN. KPN has two seats blocked as emergency quota in each of their services. In non a/c and Multi axle it would be seat nos 3,4 and in sleeper a/c that would be L3,L4. This seats get released exactly 3 hours prior to departure time,and this system is computerized.
For instance: You need tickets for 22 Dec EKM service from Chennai. Dep time is 8:00pm. Emergency quota opens at 5:00pm amd seats nos 3 and 4 will be available.Either you need to book online or else it would be better to tell agent that you need emergency quota seats and just tip him. He will get the seats even if it is a fully packed up day.
gold class is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th December 2011, 19:44   #1288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold class View Post
I found KPN CHN-EKM Multi Axle very reliable.It leaves from chennai at 8 pm.It stops for dinner by 9pm after city limits and then it picks up speed like anything.It clocked Krishnagiri at 01:15Am the day i was traveling.So its just like 3 to 3.5 hrs Chennai- krishnagiri avoiding city traffic and dinner break.In GPS i found speed clocked 138KM/HR in a stretch near Ambur.Refueled at salem pump by around 2:30 and dropped me at TCR bypass by around 7:05 AM. Return, i boarded from EKM at 8 Pm and got dropped in Chennai by 7:30 AM.
Thanks for the info on emergency quota tickets. I hope even KaSRTC do have something like this.

Was this KPN a KL01 registered one? I found one last month near Avinashi which was doing similar speeds and rash.
Old 12th December 2011, 20:11   #1289
Team-BHP Support

KSRTC will now accept the SMSs sent on booking a ticket as proof of booking- no ticket print out required in case of e-ticketing or mobile ticketing.

It is quite a good move - will sure go a long long way in cutting down paper use/wastage.

Here's hoping all operators fall in line.

Source : News and Events | Book Bus Ticket Online - KSRTC

Last edited by libranof1987 : 12th December 2011 at 20:33.
Old 12th December 2011, 20:27   #1290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Was this KPN a KL01 registered one? I found one last month near Avinashi which was doing similar speeds and rash.
Yes. KPN has only two KL registered Volvos, and they run on the Chennai-Ernakulam route. They have very decent patronate from Ernakulam - I've seen them going full even on weekdays! KPN always stops at decent places for food these days, and they are trying hard to regain their lost reputation, i guess.

Pics of the KPN buses that run on the route:
Intercity Bus travel reviews-img_2881.jpg

Intercity Bus travel reviews-img_6863.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Close on the lines of Indian Railways' move of accepting SMSs as proof of booking, KSRTC too will now accept SMSs - no ticket print out required in case of e-ticketing or mobile ticketing.
The Indian Railways does not accept "SMS" as a ticket - they accept what they call a "Virtual Reservation Message", which is essentially a snapshot of the ticket confirmation or an image of the e-ticket output shown on the phone, ipad or a laptop.

On the other hand, KaSRTC sends an SMS when a ticket is booked. This SMS is valid as a ticket. I have used this during my past two KaSRTC journeys, and there was no confusion on the part of the conductor at all! They happily accepted the SMS as my ticket, and they only asked for my identity proof.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks