Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2011, 17:45   #1141
Senior - BHPian

Re: Intercity Bus travel reviews

The longest route could be VRL Bangalore-Ahmedabad Volvo. The longest service could be Kallada's Bangalore-Kochi-Bangalore-Kochi... day and night service by same bus and same crew

Also, Looks like SETC got some new buses recently. Latest one spotted was Bangalore - Trivandrum ultra deluxe today noon at BETL.

Last edited by coolclouds : 20th September 2011 at 17:49.
Old 20th September 2011, 18:23   #1142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
Which is the longest bus route in operation in India, now?
I think Blore - Mumbai ~1200 km is longest.
Correct me if I am wrong!
I think Bangalore-Mumbai was overtaken long long ago. Bangalore-Shirdi was the longest for some time. Until a month ago, Hyderabad-Ernakulam was the longest route. Now its Bangalore-Ahmedabad of VRL.
Old 20th September 2011, 22:20   #1143
BANNED

So, what is distance between Hyderabad and Kochi?? Or is that route (discussed a few months back) no longer in operation?
Old 20th September 2011, 22:45   #1144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
So, what is distance between Hyderabad and Kochi?? Or is that route (discussed a few months back) no longer in operation?
Hyderabad-Kochi is very much operational - two operators run this route daily: Kallada (Suresh Kallada) and Kesineni's. They operate via Kurnool-Anantapur-Madanappalle-Krishnagiri-Salem-Coimbatore. The route works out to about 1100-odd kms.

Comparitively, Bangalore-Mumbai is under 990kms, while Bangalore-Shirdi is about 1000-odd kms. Bangalore-Ahmedabad is about 1500-odd kms!
Old 21st September 2011, 06:50   #1145
Senior - BHPian

Wondering why no Bus operator is considering a toilet in a Bus?

The B9R Multi-Axle can definitely take a toilet, and when equipped with one can do Kanyakumari - Srinagar for sure!
Old 21st September 2011, 09:57   #1146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post

The B9R Multi-Axle can definitely take a toilet, and when equipped with one can do Kanyakumari - Srinagar for sure!
Toilets are not prefered by passengers in bus journey and more over the operators are not intrested to compensate the reduced seating capacity by installing a western closet, also the cost is very high upto 3 lks.
THere are some tourist operators in Delhi who have WC even in regular 12M if not in B9R.
Old 21st September 2011, 13:01   #1147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The first Volvo bus in India had a toilet. It is easy to accommodate one but maintaining it clean in Indian conditions may be an issue.
Old 21st September 2011, 22:35   #1148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
Toilets are not prefered by passengers in bus journey and more over the operators are not intrested to compensate the reduced seating capacity by installing a western closet, also the cost is very high upto 3 lks.
THere are some tourist operators in Delhi who have WC even in regular 12M if not in B9R.
Mann and Ajay Travels, to name a few advertise Volvos (not B9R) with Chemical Toilets. If I'm not mistaken, the Volvos which lack the rear windshield have Washrooms. Anyhow, these operators utilize buses for City tours, Corporate Bookings, Inter-state bookings etc. and not on Scheduled Inter-City Bus Services. The bulk of inter-city Volvos run Delhi to Chandigarh, Punjab and Himachal Pradesh routes and don't have washrooms.
Old 22nd September 2011, 08:37   #1149
Senior - BHPian

The Bus Operators are hitting a glass ceiling, they already have non-stop long distance services running, now the only way to increase the distance covered is to get a Toilet in the Bus.

There will not be much of a sacrifice in seats, 5 seats will have to be sacrificed at the maximum and anyways the last row is empty in most of the Busses
Old 22nd September 2011, 09:32   #1150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk13 View Post
.... If I'm not mistaken, the Volvos which lack the rear windshield have Washrooms.....
This is just a show piece and need not be attributed to the presence of Chemical toilet!
Old 22nd September 2011, 16:19   #1151
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk13 View Post
If I'm not mistaken, the Volvos which lack the rear windshield have Washrooms.
Sadly, you are mistaken. The Rear windshield is an optional fitment. The presence or absence of it does not signify the presence or absence of a toilet.

Quote:
There will not be much of a sacrifice in seats, 5 seats will have to be sacrificed at the maximum and anyways the last row is empty in most of the Busses
Sadly, the toilet is NOT fixed in the last row. Remember that the last row is right over the engine, and the headroom here is very low. If you are to keep the toilet there, where would the associated tanks be kept?

The Toilet is typically towards the middle of the bus, around the rear axles.
Old 22nd September 2011, 18:14   #1152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
I think Bangalore-Mumbai was overtaken long long ago. Bangalore-Shirdi was the longest for some time. Until a month ago, Hyderabad-Ernakulam was the longest route. Now its Bangalore-Ahmedabad of VRL.
Most of these Long distance routes are in place where train services take a long time ex Bangalore Ahmedabad by train is usually 35 hrs while by bus it takes less than a day. The same with Bangalore - Mumbai. I am waiting for an operator to take on the ultimate route Mumbai - New Delhi which takes 16-20 hours by Rajdhani ( a distance of 1400 Kms?) . A Volvo 9400 should be able to do it (assuming an average speed of 75 KMPH given the excellent GQ roads) which is close to 19 hours. I guess babu's in railways will not take kindly to it.
Old 23rd September 2011, 12:47   #1153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
Sadly, you are mistaken. The Rear windshield is an optional fitment. The presence or absence of it does not signify the presence or absence of a toilet.

Sadly, the toilet is NOT fixed in the last row. Remember that the last row is right over the engine, and the headroom here is very low. If you are to keep the toilet there, where would the associated tanks be kept?

The Toilet is typically towards the middle of the bus, around the rear axles.
I did see Volvo B12M's in the UK which had chemical toilets and these were in the rear above the engine. http://lh3.ggpht.com/-cJgUaS4cr_o/Ta...A/P9260088.JPG

But these toilets are difficult to maintain and are very cramped.I dont think we have the infrastructure to start maintaining chemical toilets,which is very different from the trains .This will unnecessarily add to the costs of maintaining the toilets and also increase ticket prices due to reduced seatingAlso ,these toilets were very difficult to use and I always used to avoid them.

Also its a pain for passengers sitting near the toilets .In India ,you also have to deal with bad roads which will add to the maintainance woes.

Trains would anytime be a more preferred mode of public transport over distances covering more than 15 hours than buses.Thats the reason,I have serious doubts on the viability of the Bangalore-Ahmedabad bus service
Old 23rd September 2011, 19:30   #1154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
I did see Volvo B12M's in the UK which had chemical toilets and these were in the rear above the engine.
AFAIK, the Engine sits in the middle of the bus in a B12M, not at the rear. The Chemical toilets are usually not placed above the engine, for obvious reasons.
binaiks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2011, 07:54   #1155
Senior - BHPian

It seems logical to assume that passenger preference for Trains when the journey times are long is what keeps Busses within their ranges

I think the LUXURY service between Chennai and Bangalore has a toilet, there are huge black tanks above the bus at the rear.

Most Viewed