Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2011, 17:10   #1126
BHPian

Re: Intercity Bus travel reviews

27 Aug 2011. Started from Chandigarh Sec 17 ISBT at 0220pm. Stop at Karnal for tea from 0415pm to 0445pm. Finally dropped off at Kashmiri Gate ISBT, New delhi at 0655pm. Rs 515/- for a 250km Journey. Was in seat no3, Good driving, no Harsh braking, maintained a good cabin temp, 2 bottles of water, Indian Express Newspaper, Dainik bhaskar Hindi paper, decent staff, a latest Hindi Movie brought by the driver in his Pen drive.. This video is of a stretch between Panipat & Sonipat. the stretch between Ambala & Panipat(100km) is undergoing work(6laning)..
sandeep959 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2011, 10:01   #1127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdnivara View Post
Private inter-city runners are a big hit in south india, including TN.
But, compared to other state run transport corporations, one can vouch that SETC is the worst.

Having said that, times are changing now. They have sent out a tender notice for online reservation system (yes, SETC doesn't have one ) and they have started courier service in Coimbatore section, to make some revenue.
So true but sad for a corporation that had computerized anywhere reservation for its buses in the late eighties. I had once traveled on a SETC A/C sleeper coach (with toilets) from Erode to Chennai in May 1983. The service did not last long though.
Old 12th September 2011, 16:09   #1128
Senior - BHPian

SRS too started its B9R service to Trivandrum via Nagercoil.
Old 12th September 2011, 21:57   #1129
Senior - BHPian

Thanks good informative video. But seriously poor driving habit! overtaking from everyside the driver wishes, no indication while changing lanes. what was the driver thinking? such morons cause accidents in the highway. I feel before teaching them to drive a volvo, teach them to drive in the highway first.
Old 12th September 2011, 22:39   #1130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
Thanks good informative video. But seriously poor driving habit! overtaking from everyside the driver wishes, no indication while changing lanes. what was the driver thinking? such morons cause accidents in the highway. I feel before teaching them to drive a volvo, teach them to drive in the highway first.
I definitely agree with you.. I'm not in anyway justifying but he was doing it to maintain that speed and as such the other moron drivers were not adhering to the lane discipline. He was pretty careful in changing lanes..
Old 17th September 2011, 22:49   #1131
BHPian

KPN Bangalore- Chennai Multi axle Volvo met with an scary accident on Friday night(16th night) near Vaniyambadi (my friend was travelling). Per him, the bus was travelling at 80 odd kms overtaking a lorry from the left lane. It seems that the steering got locked whilst shifting lanes. The driver somehow managed to stop but the vehicle went over the median with the left front wheel coming off. Fortunately there were no casualties/injuries and the passengers were accommodated in other KPN buses. The vehicle apparently had done 1 lakhs kms.
Old 18th September 2011, 00:47   #1132
Senior - BHPian

Awesome APTDC

Instead of driving to Tirupati,this time I decided to take the APTDC package tour. The bus was one of the first models of the B7R and I was definitely not impressed looking at the bus from the outside when there were brand new B9Rs from private operators standing just besides our bus (for the same route).

For the first time in the last few years ,have I come across a B7R driven in such a perfect manner .The driver was fast ,but all lane changes or overtakings were done with proper signalling.He was sticking to the left lane on 4 laned roads and wasnt taking any chances when overtaking .For the first time ,did I see a driver dipping the headlights when overtaking !! And on the regular 2 laned highway ,I hear a loud whooooosh and a flash of lights .It was the b9R that had just overtaken our bus and in the process had a near miss with an oncoming truck .Around mid-way ,the other driver takes over and to mu surprise i see that even this driver is awesome ,though his gear changes were a bit jerky.

Including a dinner break and the Bangalore traffic,this bus did Bangalore -Tirupati in about 5.5 hours of which the last 170 kms was in under 3 hours !
Old 18th September 2011, 09:14   #1133
BHPian

I had to travel to Tirupati on Tuesday and chose APSRTC this time. I booked the 22.00 Service from Hyd to TPTY. The service was cancelled and the depot manager called all passengers travelling on the service ahead of time to accommodate them in other services.
+1 to the service, first time I saw this in a govt owned dept.
Old 18th September 2011, 18:04   #1134
BHPian

Took a ride last nite from hosur to Coimbatore in an SRS Non-a/c sleeper.It's a b'lore-Cbe service.Boarded at 11.55pm and reached Coimbatore(Hope collage) at 5.15am.The bus stopped thrice for nature calls and at Salem bustand as well.A very good timing indeed considering the halts and that the changapally-Coimbatore section of the road is under 6-lane widening.The driver was really grumpy though.He literally had some passengers running back to the bus after the loo.

I once did a Hosur-Chennai in SRS travels as well.Boared at 11.45pm and woke up at chennai central at 4.40am.That was one of the most confused wakeups i have had...5Hrs flat.Coming to think of it..its scary actually.
Old 18th September 2011, 19:38   #1135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam.k View Post
Took a ride last nite from hosur to Coimbatore in an SRS Non-a/c sleeper.It's a b'lore-Cbe service...
I've travelled in that bus. It's really comfortable. But it had stopped at Hosur and Salem for quite some time, and hence reached Gandhipuram only at 6:30. It was a festive season, I think, hence the traffic on the route was more than usual.

Quote:
I once did a Hosur-Chennai in SRS travels as well.Boared at 11.45pm and woke up at chennai central at 4.40am.That was one of the most confused wakeups i have had...5Hrs flat.Coming to think of it..its scary actually.
That's their usual timing, if you're referring to the AC Hispano bus. They rip mercilessly. I'd travelled in that bus only once, and that one time was enough to give me a high fever and a terrible back pain that left me sick for one entire week.
Old 19th September 2011, 08:44   #1136
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
That's their usual timing, if you're referring to the AC Hispano bus. They rip mercilessly. I'd travelled in that bus only once, and that one time was enough to give me a high fever and a terrible back pain that left me sick for one entire week.
Exactly. Long back I did Chennai - Bangalore on their Hispano. When I got down at Silk Board, I took an oath that I'd never ever board their bus (at least, CHN-BLR service) anymore and stand by that till date.

Oh yes, the timings.
Chennai - 12.05PM (late by a good 50 mins)
Bangalore - 04.10AM

That guy over took the Parveen's Volvo somewhere after Krishnagiri which left Chennai at 10.40PM
hdnivara is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2011, 13:58   #1137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
This was AL and the ride was pretty comfortable a it was a sleeper.Once on the way back from Hosur to Cbe by car i was overtaken by an SRM multiaxle at 110kmph.these guys seems to get lucky every nite without any accidents at that speed. Hope it remains that way always.
Old 19th September 2011, 14:14   #1138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam.k View Post
This was AL and the ride was pretty comfortable a it was a sleeper
I understood :-) I've travelled in that sleeper bus too (here). That's a very comfortable bus. I felt a floating effect, even better than the suspension in Volvos.
Old 20th September 2011, 16:28   #1139
Senior - BHPian

Which is the longest bus route in operation in India, now?
I think Blore - Mumbai ~1200 km is longest.
Correct me if I am wrong!
Old 20th September 2011, 16:32   #1140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
Which is the longest bus route in operation in India, now?
I think Blore - Mumbai ~1200 km is longest.
Correct me if I am wrong!
Guess the VRL Bangalore-Ahmedabad service should be the longest Volvo service

Most Viewed