Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2013, 09:17   #2491
Senior - BHPian

Re: Intercity Bus travel reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by venki.bala View Post
Need to travel to Chidambaram in the last week of January. There is a direct Kesineni which reaches Chidamabaram at around 10 am. I would like to explore any other option to reach earlier than that. Is there any other choice like going to Vellore by 4 am? will it help if i take buses from there to Villupuram and then to Chidambaram. Any idea on the bus frequencies in this routes. Any pointers would really be appreciated? Thanks.
Depending on how early you could leave, why not look at booking one of the Hyderabad-Salem volvos, you have a lot of options from 4PM onwards, the ones leaving Hyderabad around 4 should reach Salem around 3 AM.

You would have buses to Vridachalam, Cuddalore every 30 minute or so alternatively if you are not averse to hopping you could go via Athur - Ulundurpet to Vridachalam which could take you about 30/45 minutes extra but would have buses every 10 minutes.

Once you reach Vridachalam you can reach Chidambaram with buses every 15 minutes or so in about an hour. So theoretically you could reach Vridachalam in about 5 hours max from Salem.

I doubt if you could reach faster by opting to get off at Vellore, because the Kesineni Multi I assume goes via Vellore on its way to Chidambaram.
pypkmsrikanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2013, 15:18   #2492
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
Depending on how early you could leave, why not look at booking one of the Hyderabad-Salem volvos, you have a lot of options from 4PM onwards, the ones leaving Hyderabad around 4 should reach Salem around 3 AM.

I doubt if you could reach faster by opting to get off at Vellore, because the Kesineni Multi I assume goes via Vellore on its way to Chidambaram.
Hi Srikanth,

Thanks for the suggestion. I never thought of this route. But I donot think I will be able to go through that route. I am going to stick on to the Diwakar Pondy bus who is promising to drop in pondy by 6 am. I think from Pondy Chidambaram will be couple of hours. While coming I am going to book Kesineni chidambaram - hyderabad volvo. Will keep posted about the timings and bus after i make the trip.
Old 15th January 2013, 06:27   #2493
Senior - BHPian

Still to recover from the shock - KaSRTC dropped me in Bangalore well before schedule.

Did a Thrissur-Bangalore journey in the 2131TRCBNG Airavat Club Class service last night. The bus (KA-01-F-9346) left from Thrissur at 2138hrs (7mins late). The conductor was a typical KSRTC guy - there were some 11 seats reserved ex-Palakkad. He filled up Thrissur-Palakkad seats in all those, and even managed to get two Bangalore passengers for two seats where reserved passengers did not turn up!! Initially the driver too was typical KaSRTC style - lugging the engine all the time, and the poor engine was crying for mercy. I was on Seat #16, and I could clearly hear the engines cries. He became possessed shortly after crossing Mannuthy - on the pothole ridden roads, he was literally ripping, overtaking vehicles at ease.

Reached Palakkad at 2301hrs (Scheduled time 2250hrs), picked up the 11 passengers and got moving at 2304hrs. After Palakkad, the driver was a total road ripper. He becomes possessed at times when he would honk to glory and keep overtaking vehicles, and sometimes he'd get very sober - at this point he'd lug the engine. The driver was not drunk for sure - he did not smell of alcohol. I had one deep continuous sleep after the bus got on to the 4-laned section after Chengappalli (near Perundurai). I woke up sometime when the bus stopped for break - did not bother to see where we were. I woke up at 0400hrs again - we were just passing Krishnagiri Toll. I slept again, and woke up suddenly hearing the radio come alive playing Suprabhatham! The conductor shouted out "Electronic City"... The clock showed "0503". Nobody to get off. Lights were left on. I was dropped at Bommanahalli at 0510hrs!! A whole hour before my anticipated arrival time!! The bus has a scheduled arrival time of 0615hrs at Majestic (KBS) - I am sure the bus would've reached before 0600hrs!

I am still to recover from the shock of the bus reaching before time - the last time, the service (its opposite service - 2111BNGTRC) took 1.5hrs more than the already long running time, and it really scared me off KaSRTC. If my experience with KaSRTC remains positive during my the 25-27Jan weekend trip too, I am sure to make KaSRTC my preferred choice for by Thrissur-Bangalore runs (I'd prefer Kallada G4 for the opposite direction).
binaiks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2013, 09:31   #2494
BHPian

The driver must have been the same character a couple of us experienced on the Ernakulam Airavath service.. In my case the 2035 Ernakulam reached at 0625 in Majestic. But dont depend on KaSRTC too much for an early arrival. I used to take the 1828 Ernakulam Bangalore Merc which is supposed to lave Trichur bus staiton at 20 15 but leaves mostly around 9 PM. Most times I have reached Majestic only around 7 AM. I take them for their sane driving (I am no fan of road racing) and the convenience of the arrival at Majestic.

How about the 9 PM Kodungallur Bangalore Multi Axle of Suresh Kallada??? I believe this one leaving at 9PM is one of the earliest overnight Multi Axles from Trichur via Salem(the KaSRTC Merc from Ernakulam is theoretically the earliest). Does the Kodungallur service have a good reliability in terms of an early arrival at Bangalore ?
Old 15th January 2013, 10:14   #2495
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKMCE View Post
How about the 9 PM Kodungallur Bangalore Multi Axle of Suresh Kallada??? I believe this one leaving at 9PM is one of the earliest overnight Multi Axles from Trichur via Salem(the KaSRTC Merc from Ernakulam is theoretically the earliest). Does the Kodungallur service have a good reliability in terms of an early arrival at Bangalore ?
This one normally reaches Bangalore by 0600hrs - not always true. The scheduled arrival is 0530hrs. The drawback is that the bus leaves from Kodungallur at 1900hrs, but leaves Thrissur only at 2100hrs - wastes a full 2 hrs for a 38kms run. Often, they send pick-up van to Kodungallur while the bus waits at Irinjalakkuda.

The rates are too unpredictable during weekends too - it is Rs. 1260 at times, sometimes it goes up to Rs. 1600 - that is too much for a 480kms run - and I am not ready to shell that kind of money for the small distance.
Old 15th January 2013, 12:10   #2496
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
Still to recover from the shock - KaSRTC dropped me in Bangalore well before schedule...
I'm in a similar shock. Boarded the KaSRTC 2135 PGT-BNG Multi-axle Volvo (KA-01-F-9354) last night. There was some confusion at the time of boarding, as there were some people who'd booked on a 21:45 special service and boarded this bus by mistake. After clearing up all the confusion, the bus left Palakkad at 21:45hrs.

The bus stopped for a tea break at Madukkarai (I don't understand why they stop for tea, within an hour of starting the trip. They stop at this same place on the way to Palakkad too, even if the bus is running very late, which happens almost all the time), at 22:35hrs. Until this point, the driver was lugging the engine, and I was not able to sleep properly. Now he started driving in the correct gears, and the engine noise was bearable (I was in the last row, VIP seat, #47M). I slept continuously till about 02:45 when they stopped at the infamous Uthaiya hotel near Krishnagiri. Nobody got down, except the driver and conductor. Resumed the journey at 03:05hrs. Got dropped at Madiwala at 04:20hrs. I didn't find the driving rash, nor did I hear many honks. I was not thrown off my seat too. So, full marks for the driving.

This bus usually reaches Madiwala at around 05:30hrs, almost along with the KSRTC 21:00 PLKD-BLR Super Deluxe. Once the Super Deluxe had dropped me in Madiwala at 04:30hrs too, but that was one possessed driver, who used the brakes only when he was left with no other choice. I've changed my loyalty these days to KaSRTC, because the ageing Super Deluxe buses of KSRTC rattle a lot and the suspension also leaves a lot to be desired.

Last edited by silversteed : 15th January 2013 at 12:14.
Old 15th January 2013, 12:24   #2497
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
The bus (KA-01-F-9346) left from Thrissur at 2138hrs (7mins late). ..............I was dropped at Bommanahalli at 0510hrs!! A whole hour before my anticipated arrival time!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
....the bus left Palakkad at 21:45hrs....... Got dropped at Madiwala at 04:20hrs.
Both cases, looks like the truck traffic was very less due to Pongal. I found few KPN buses arriving at Madiwala at 4am, a KeSRTC Super Express at 4.05 and Palakkad-Bangalore 9pm Super deluxe reaching Bommanahalli at 4.15am!
Old 15th January 2013, 14:07   #2498
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

'driving in the right gear without lugging the engine' is a big surprise on KaSRTC multi axles, that too on 3 separate buses - such coincidence ! (unless,
- KaSRTC has earmarked a team of road-rippers for in the kerala routes OR
- department-wide they have less optimistic mileage targets now OR
- the lugging would have resulted in service cost increase for these buses, which far exceed the fuel savings OR
- volvo would have sent a memo pleading them to 'drive in the right gear once in a while please'
)
Old 15th January 2013, 14:22   #2499
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Both cases, looks like the truck traffic was very less due to Pongal. I found few KPN buses arriving at Madiwala at 4am, a KeSRTC Super Express at 4.05 and Palakkad-Bangalore 9pm Super deluxe reaching Bommanahalli at 4.15am!
Could be true between CBE and BLR. I found the usual truck traffic between PLKD and CBE.

OT, where you in the Palakkad-Blr SDX by any chance? I was roaming inside the depot from 8:30 or so until the KaSRTC bus driver opened the door.

Some CBE and Salem bound passengers were asking the SDX conductor to let them travel as standees, as most of the Coimbatore bound buses were crowded

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
...volvo would have sent a memo pleading them to 'drive in the right gear once in a while please'
)
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2013, 14:36   #2500
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
OT, where you in the Palakkad-Blr SDX by any chance? I was roaming inside the depot from 8:30 or so until the KaSRTC bus driver opened the door.
Actually, I traveled by Ernakulam-Bangalore Super Fast Express and got down at KR Puram at 3.30 and found these buses while going towards my home near Bommanahalli.
Old 15th January 2013, 14:48   #2501
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Benny try and avoid private operators and of the whole lot Kallada are the real low life scum bags with absolutely no regards to their customers.
Certainly agree with you. I have travelled twice with them since I had no other option. Once Chennai-Thiruvalla and other occasion Chennai-Thrissur. On both occasions the driver was very abusive and behaved badly with the passengers. People who have previously travelled on this route might know this short fellow. I even complained on their website. Didn't get any reply. That was the last I travelled with them. Last time I tried SRM and the experience was fair enough.
Old 15th January 2013, 21:27   #2502
Senior - BHPian

These early arrivals are not only because of reduced trucks on road but entire traffic is reduced including cars. Today morning I reached chennai in SRM AC 12M sleeper, by 0515 - a flat 7 hour from Palani ( 480 kms). This includes 30 min dinner break at Dindugal and one bio break at SRM checking point at Ulundurpet.
Previous record was with ARC, 12M AC seater - 8 hrs between Koyembedu and Palani. Departure 2045 and arrival 0445. If you take from Perungalathor it will be equivalent to 7 hrs.
Old 16th January 2013, 09:45   #2503
Senior - BHPian

Just Read a report in times of India regarding an accident on Hosur elevated highway. A Trivandrum bound SRM transport bus crashed into the median and came to a stop leaning precariously on the elevated highway late night yesterday. Luckily passengers were safe.
As per the report, bus driver told the police that he was indeed speeding, because as he was behind schedule. "We're supposed to reach Thiruvananthapuram before 4.30am to avoid a huge traffic jam," he said, according to the report.

Link to the report:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/18040472.cms

Have read a lot about SRM buses being driven rashly many a times. This incident kind of confirms this? Anybody has any more details on the accident?
Old 16th January 2013, 11:37   #2504
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post

Have read a lot about SRM buses being driven rashly many a times. This incident kind of confirms this? Anybody has any more details on the accident?
I have travelled on a couple of occasions to TVM from Blr by SRM and on both occasions, the buses were driven extremely fast. First time, it was an AC sleeper and the guy rear ended an LCV near Salem on the by pass resulting in a cracked windscreen and a broken mirror.

On the second occasion, it was an i SHIFT Multi Axle during Diwali and despite maddening traffic on the Blr - Hosur Stretch (we crossed Hosur ~930 PM), he dropped us at TVM by 8-830 AM if I recall correct. And the bus was on the Kerala route. So the speeds must have been quite high indeed throughout the journey. And there was a lot of honking and sudden braking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
These early arrivals are not only because of reduced trucks on road but entire traffic is reduced including cars. Today morning I reached chennai in SRM AC 12M sleeper, by 0515 - a flat 7 hour from Palani ( 480 kms). This includes 30 min dinner break at Dindugal and one bio break at SRM checking point at Ulundurpet.
Previous record was with ARC, 12M AC seater - 8 hrs between Koyembedu and Palani. Departure 2045 and arrival 0445. If you take from Perungalathor it will be equivalent to 7 hrs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Looks like it was a night of super fast journeys everywhere. My parents were travelling to Chennai by the Roadlink Volvo. Departed from Madiwala at 1105 PM and they were dropped off at Koyambedu by 340 AM - flat 4.5 hours for a ~350 km journey - the fastest I have heard for a bus on this stretch !
Old 16th January 2013, 12:03   #2505
BHPian

Quick review on the travel I undertook from Bangalore - Hyderabad in Dec 2012.

Operator Name: Kesineni
Booked By: Redbus.in
Vehicle Make: Volvo
Vehicle Type: Multi Axle Semi Sleeper (2+2)
Seat Chosen: Last Row Window
STD: 11:00 PM
Actual Time of Departure: 11:30 PM
STA: 6:30 AM
Actual Time of Arrival: 6:45 AM
Cost: INR 900

Notes:

1. Kesineni has no dedicated terminal/ bus stop. Boarding is at Anand Rao Circle. The nearby SRL complex can make you regret your decision to book with Kesineni!

2. No blanket/ water bottle was provided.
3. The bus will pick up passengers from other points in Bangalore.
4. Do not choose the last row of seats ever. They don't recline as much as the others.
5. The bus itself was well maintained and free from niggles/ squeaks. Ride was comfortable.
6. Cannot comment on the stops as I had fallen asleep after 90 minutes.

Special thanks to TKMCE, venki.bala and binaiks for helping me with the bus choice!

Last edited by lordavenger : 16th January 2013 at 12:04. Reason: Included Cost

Most Viewed