Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2005, 13:30   #16
BHPian

One thing i have noticed about BMTC bus drivers is their arrogance. When i try crossing the road and if a BMTC driver is coming in the opposite lane, i have seldom seen a driver slow down the bus. They make it a point to come very close and brake at the last minute!

This is something i have not seen in coimbatore. But then things are different there. I think the problem is too many techies in blore. They are like "Why take a risk. Let me just go on"

In my home town, if a bus driver or a lorry driver indulges in some sort of aggression like this, we stop the car, stop the bus and get out of the car. The by-standers too join in and that alone gives the bus drivers a fright.

IMHO as long as the people here dont open their mouth and say anything there will be aggressive taxi drivers, bus drivers and pump attendants. Yes i have had experience with all three and made sure i gave them a piece of my mind in their own language much to the chagrin of my fiancee sitting next to me.

It really makes me mad to see that something like this happens and people dont do anything about it! Catch a driver, tie him up and hand him over to the police for rash driving. He will avoid your streets after that. A few people do that and if that makes headlines, everyone will drive properly. Really. High time we made something about this. No point depending on the police. They ask for a bribe to file a FIR!

Damm should have been my place. The driver would be sorry that he was so rash. Next time on he would not cross 50kmph!

Christ I have been rambling i guess... but guys frankly i am too pissed off with the bus and auto drivers in bangalore!

Last edited by Harrie : 9th May 2005 at 13:31.
Old 9th May 2005, 13:58   #17
Senior - BHPian

About traffic conditions in B'lore, the less said, the better. I had a horrid experience yesterday. I and my wife had to shop at Gandhi Bazaar. I knew if I take my car, it will be hell out there, especially on Sunday evenings. I remember circling Gandhi Bazaar many times before I got to park my car. So, we decided to take a rick. We did all the shopping and wanted to return home. It took us around 45 minutes in that busy place to get an auto back home. Most of the auto drivers would never even consider picking up, even after seeing my seven-month-pregnant wife struggling on the road there. I really wonder what happened to people of Bangalore? There were days when people used to help you even at the slightest discomfort, even without you asking for it. I myself have dropped people at their homes when I figure out that they were in trouble on the roads; not one time, but many times. Why shouldn't the auto drivers stop atleast on humanitarian grounds? I believe living with some animals in the forest makes for a better thing than living with these so-called humans. I have just started despising Bangalore, eventhough I was born here and have spent a better part of my life here. Sickening...

The way these BMTC drivers behave while driving is pathetic. I experience this almost everyday when I drive my car or ride my bike. They just dont have any traffic or civic sense. One of my acquaintences had a very bad day when the bus driver started to drive the bus when she was getting down in the bus stop where it had stopped. She had a major head injury and she has just recovered. Whether I drive my car or my bike, I never feel secured.
Old 9th May 2005, 15:31   #18
BHPian

We all agree that these are terrible but absulutely avoidable incidents. Is there anything we can do proactively?? Will we take the lead at some initiative? T-BHPians are is most parts of the country. Moreover we are all motorists. Can we not do do someithing??

I am thinking aloud...Ideas welcome!
Old 9th May 2005, 18:52   #19
Senior - BHPian

While traveling in a private bus, I had seen a photograph of a woman with a kid on her hip and other standing next to her with wordings pasted

" I want you to come back and play with our kids, DRIVE SLOW AND SAFE". This reflective sticker was pasted on the front miror corner.

Iam not sure to what extent this works. I personally feel that this will surely have any positive impact
Old 9th May 2005, 19:19   #20
BHPian

chennai is worse too!

Chennai is equally worse. There are people who ride two wheelers and at the same time speaking over phone. worse is that they dont even use a headset. The last minute speeding before a signal turns red. The share autos, maxi cabs that run illegally add to the trouble of the road users. They just squeeze you down and scare you every moment where they are going to cut into your line and scratch your vehicle. It is tense every moment on the road.

People dont like to wait until the signal turns green. They will honk at you if you are waiting for a turn. Pedestrians cross the road anywhere and everywhere.

I get too irritated when some moron comes in the opposite direction just on your right near the median. Particularly cyclists and motorists do this and some bullock carts on the chennai-bangalore highway via chitoor. i have seen this.

Absolutely no sense. people dont like to go in the opposite direction, take a U turn and go on the other side. They just come straight in front of you by the median and use the cut on the road. so much for civic sense. Considering the popluation and the number of violations it seems that it is the fate of the country. how many people can you scold on the road or educate. Absolutely ridiculous.

the government machinery has to be strict or we will see more lives ending in a tragedy.

Last edited by readonly : 9th May 2005 at 19:21.
Old 9th May 2005, 19:19   #21
Senior - BHPian

I remember this extremely strange case that had a befitting ending.

Two bus drivers had double parked their buses on the busy Chandni Chowk road just so that they could enjoy a conversation. Vehicles behind were incessantly honking but to no avail. Even the presence of a fire-brigade with sirens on really didn't deter the selfish interests of the two. The firemen apparently got out of their truck, pulled out both the drivers and thrashed them black and blue while one of the firemen just drove the errant bus to the side of the road.

Last heard, the public didn't spare a thought and joined the party.

Moral of the story: If you can't join them, just beat em' (bus drivers that is)

Revv
Old 9th May 2005, 20:49   #22
BHPian

You guys are all quite right, I've been in situations where i wanted to beat up the driver black and blue.. But then, i thought to myself, that if i am having a tough time riding my two wheeler to work and back for 20 minutes one way. Imagine what these poor souls might be going through whole day of travelling through never ending traffic in bangalore..

Of-course, i don't justify the bus-walahs driving wrong side and over foot-paths and crushing people.. But i guess, it all starts with proper training and manners.. These folks ought to be taught some manners and decency by their seniors.. I guess anxiety control is one thing that they need to learn big-time..

I see a huge contrast whenever i travel abroad in the manners of the bus-drivers there. Heck, I've seen the bus-drivers stop the bus at a bus-stop, hold hands of young children and elderly, make them comfortable in the bus, before issueing them the tickets and then driving off..

Well, i agree that we are more densely populated than any of those countries and that we have more people travelling by public transportation.. But if at all we could embibe some of the qualities of bus-drivers abroad..
Old 10th May 2005, 09:43   #23
BHPian

Some of you might remember this incident where at least 40 vehicles and a garment factory were damaged in stone throwing all because of one stupid BMTC driver
http://www.hindu.com/2005/04/09/stor...0918370300.htm
Old 10th May 2005, 10:03   #24
Team-BHP Support

i have seen this too many times. for every unfortunate adccident there are 10 near misses. this is simply a matter of driver education.
see http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showth...light=training
Old 25th July 2007, 22:09   #25
Senior - BHPian

On some of my mumbai bangalore trips by volvo the buses take an hour atleast to get out of mumbai.Stop at pune to pick up passangers with the usual lunch dinner nastha paani breaks and all which accounts to about 3 to 4 hours on the entire trip and then too they make it to bangalore in an amazing 17 to 18 hours which clearly shows at what speeds they must be driving.
Old 25th July 2007, 22:34   #26
Senior - BHPian

Thanks humyum for reviving this thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
first he has no traffic sense going over to the wrong side to avoid the jam..what was he thinking ? the others waiting in queue were fools ?
This is an usual & natural occurence on the hosur - bangalore highway because of the inter state Commercial Tax/RTO/ forest checkposts here, it takes forever to cross the border (as if this is an India-Pak border) & not only the private buses, all the private vehicles (cars etc) do this right from ashok leyland till after attibelle. accidents like this were waiting to happen all the time.

Quote:
secondly a powerful vehicle makes these drivers feel invincible..another case in point is the Sumo and Trax drivers ....they drive as if they own the road.
most of our drivers are not even equipped to handle the mass & the power of an AL/TATA bus.

Quote:
I mean we require stricter laws for these public transport drivers , they are responsible for the lives of the passengers as well.

anyways i just hope the guy is given the treatment and just not gets away and joins another transport company and continues endangering lives !
for all you know, this guy will be your driver next time you take a bus to bangalore. , so it is better to drive yourself.
cheers
Old 25th July 2007, 22:36   #27
Team-BHP Support

Its terrible and a sad reality at that damn border, you have to be very alert and cautious while traversing that patch, especially early in the morning and late nights.

I have see an exact same accident there, only thing was it was a amby taxi that hit the pedestrian.
Old 26th July 2007, 09:14   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Thanks humyum for reviving this thread.

This is an usual & natural occurence on the hosur - bangalore highway because of the inter state Commercial Tax/RTO/ forest checkposts here, it takes forever to cross the border (as if this is an India-Pak border) & not only the private buses, all the private vehicles (cars etc) do this right from ashok leyland till after attibelle. accidents like this were waiting to happen all the time.

most of our drivers are not even equipped to handle the mass & the power of an AL/TATA bus.

for all you know, this guy will be your driver next time you take a bus to bangalore. , so it is better to drive yourself.
cheers
What do you think of me.. Getting out from Ashok Leyland Everyday Looking both sides, Dunno where is the next bike, moped,auto is gonna come from

anyway this hapened nearby, MY CAR

Don't want to post the details, but I was on the right side.

Old 26th July 2007, 09:57   #29
Team-BHP Support

Jomy, your car's really taken quite a bit of beating.

P.S. : What happened to the intw?
Old 26th July 2007, 10:19   #30
Senior - BHPian

OMG, Where all these happened, Jomz???

Abhi

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks