Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2010, 11:12   #166
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
+1, why planes do not have reverse gear.
Well they do have reverse thrust, which is used just after touchdown to decelerate and later disengaged when taxiing speed is achieved.
Old 4th May 2010, 23:18   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Watch this:

BTW, while I wholeheartedly share the views of the 747 fans here, I'd still consider this as the ultimate flying machine, flown by someone who will scoff at the fly-by-wire gizmodome of a modern glass cockpit:

The above video points to another site, hope this will not clash with our rules...

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 4th May 2010 at 23:28.
sandeepmdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2010, 00:21   #168
Senior - BHPian

@flyboy747

With reference to the Emirates episode over Kochi in the recent past, could you take us through the incident to enable us to understand the factors that led to the airplane dropping nearly 18000 feet or more and the subsequent recovery by the pilots.
Old 5th May 2010, 00:54   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Also I'm surprised that Boeings don't have FWB.
AFAIK, the 777 family has FBW controls. It was the first aircraft family from Boeing to get the FBW controls.

And about lights, please read the below to get more information.
http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo...ad.main/93082/

(I really don't think that they are for scaring off birds! (I maybe wrong, am not a pilot))

Last edited by A350XWB : 5th May 2010 at 01:03.
Old 5th May 2010, 07:58   #170
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy747 View Post
All modern airplanes are safe.
This line reminds me the question asked by the instructor when I attended a quality process class long back. The instructor was quoting examples of Aircraft manufacturing. He asked, "If Boeing or AB says that 1 of its 1000 planes will fail - will anyone travel in the world"

As far as I know the Airplane operations are done in India is exactly the same way it is done in developed world.
Luckily in India except the fog season in North India, we do not have weather catastrophic scenes like in South America esp in the ITCZ where the Air France plunged into Atlantic last June. I went through a lengthy thread by ex pilots ( will try to post it) and the posts cleared showed the havoc played by extreme weather and failure of the systems.

Thanks Sandeepmdass for the yt video and what about reverse mirrors, sensors etc...

Last edited by RGK : 5th May 2010 at 08:03.
Old 6th May 2010, 19:28   #171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have some basic doubts- pardon for ignorance
1. why all lights outside the aircraft is switched on even during daylights also
2. why windows shades are asked to lift and cabin lights switched off during takeoff and landing
3. what is auto pilot
1. there are different kind of lights outside an aircraft.they include navigation lights, strobe lights, beacon along with landing and taxi lights.

These lights are installed for vehicles and other airplanes to identify the aircraft and the direction in which it is travelling,

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
Well they do have reverse thrust, which is used just after touchdown to decelerate and later disengaged when taxiing speed is achieved.

reverse thrust is usually used to aid decelleration but is not used below 80 Knots
Old 7th May 2010, 11:01   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
@flyboy747

With reference to the Emirates episode over Kochi in the recent past, could you take us through the incident to enable us to understand the factors that led to the airplane dropping nearly 18000 feet or more and the subsequent recovery by the pilots.
Does this really happen and if the plane drops so much in a very short time, wont there be extensive damage resulting in a definite catastrophy? While Emirates stated that the plane dropped only 200 feet, all news channels reported 18000 feet. Wonder what the truth is and if it really is possible?
Old 7th May 2010, 12:10   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobgeorge View Post
Does this really happen and if the plane drops so much in a very short time, wont there be extensive damage resulting in a definite catastrophy? While Emirates stated that the plane dropped only 200 feet, all news channels reported 18000 feet. Wonder what the truth is and if it really is possible?
That is why I want it from a Pilots perspective.

Drops of a hundred feet or so are very common. Especially when coming into Delhi the ride after Jaipur can be very bumpy. I myself had a very scary experience in 2008 September (more due to cross winds) when our plane was almost tipped over while banking right. The pilot must have used all of his skills to get us back on level. In the cabin we had stuff from some of the overhead bins falling out and there was not a soul in the plane that was not praying. In the same flight we had to abort landing several times due to cross winds and once lifted back up from as low as 600 feet. I myself was so scared by that experience that for almost the entire 2009 I travelled by train or by road. Even now as soon as I board I just hook into the entertainment system and try to lose myself in the movie or what ever, the trouble is when you hit an air pocket even the entertainment system skips/goes off momentarily reminding you where you are. Oh! by the way there was no mention of the almost flipped over episode in the media neither print nor air.
Old 7th May 2010, 13:42   #174
BHPian

Awesome question
Jet planes are dependent on engines and airflow for foward movement only. THe whole principle of jet movement is based on the fact that air flows in one direction , forwards to backwards due to which lift,pitch etc etc are controlled.
It would be mechanically impossible to have a mechanism to have the aircraft go backwards and still have a controlled flight. And since they do not have a mechanism to back up there are trucks who push them from the air-bridge in reverse after which they can taxi out after spooling their engines.

Take off of my favorite airline , SQ , from Zurich back to my favorite airport , Changi. The plane is also my favorite a 773.

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote,
click here (How to MULTI-QUOTE (when replying to a thread) on Team-BHP).

We advise you to read the
Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by moralfibre : 24th July 2013 at 09:35.
ambivalent_98 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2010, 14:05   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
Aircraft can use their own power to reverse(on the ground that is :-)). This type of operation is called Powerback. More info on it here.
It is generally not used as
1.They need more power. And power translates to more fuel which they would like to avoid. Most airlines do not power on all their engines when on ground. They run only one (or one bank;usually the starboard side) just to maintain the hydraulics and hotel power.
2.Using reverse thrust could lead to catastrophical distruction if not performed carefully as the engine could throw objects onto the front of the aircraft and may even cause flameout on jet engine.
3.Aircrafts do not have reverse camera or RVM:-) So Pilots do not know where they are going.
Using Tractor to do pushback cost fraction of cost than Powerback and is lot safer. Infact, if airlines like Virgin had their way they could have used tractor to take the plane until the end of taxiway. This operation was rejected by aviation authorities due to logistical reason as well as potential of engines not being sufficiently warmed up before take off and any failure in engine holding up aircrafts behind.
DWind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2010, 15:11   #176
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
That is why I want it from a Pilots perspective.

Drops of a hundred feet or so are very common. Especially when coming into Delhi the ride after Jaipur can be very bumpy. I myself had a very scary experience in 2008 September (more due to cross winds) when our plane was almost tipped over while banking right. The pilot must have used all of his skills to get us back on level. In the cabin we had stuff from some of the overhead bins falling out and there was not a soul in the plane that was not praying. In the same flight we had to abort landing several times due to cross winds and once lifted back up from as low as 600 feet. I myself was so scared by that experience that for almost the entire 2009 I travelled by train or by road. Even now as soon as I board I just hook into the entertainment system and try to lose myself in the movie or what ever, the trouble is when you hit an air pocket even the entertainment system skips/goes off momentarily reminding you where you are. Oh! by the way there was no mention of the almost flipped over episode in the media neither print nor air.
No dear.. the praying is done by all every time and it is more evident during those kind of flights you had that on a particular day..As said rightly, train and road are believed to be more safer and we do not have anything to do once the flight is airborne rather than listening to music or try to sleep.
RGK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2013, 16:44   #177
BHPian

Re: Airplane Review (Boeing 747-400) by a Pilot : A first for Team-BHP!

Hey... Your thread was an inspiration for me to review the airbus a320

Have a read... Hope you likey likey!
ifly is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2014, 14:53   #178
BHPian

I really can't believe i'm seeing all this. I'm totally amazed at the composition of this Forum!!
gabrielthomas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2014, 15:34   #179
BHPian

Can we get an picture of how it looks from the Cockpit while landing?
Old 13th March 2014, 16:50   #180
BHPian

Came across this horrific video of a 747 crashing in Afghanistan. All 7 personnel on board were lost.

Last edited by rjalihal : 13th March 2014 at 16:51. Reason: Adding link
rjalihal is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks