Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2011, 18:29   #556
Distinguished - BHPian

Rear axle of Vestibule buses

Guys, is the rear /3rd axle of vestibule buses of a slightly floating nature ? Happened to notice one bus when it was turning left, and the 3rd row wheels/axle seemed to point slightly in the opposite direction.

I was driving, so could not really notice it closely enough. Keep an eye out, will ya ?
Old 30th January 2011, 18:39   #557
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rear axle of Vestibule buses

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Guys, is the rear /3rd axle of vestibule buses of a slightly floating nature ? Happened to notice one bus when it was turning left, and the 3rd row wheels/axle seemed to point slightly in the opposite direction.
Yes you are right!
They are steerable.
Old 30th January 2011, 18:59   #558
Distinguished - BHPian

3rd axle mechanism

@Ashley, thanks.

Considering the focus in these buses on cost effectiveness, I dont think these are actually "steerable". The implementation may be something simpler & mechanical in nature and not very sophisticated.

Would you have any details of how it is implemented in these buses ?
Old 30th January 2011, 19:43   #559
Senior - BHPian

Re: 3rd axle mechanism

Quote:
@Ashley, thanks.

Considering the focus in these buses on cost effectiveness, I dont think these are actually "steerable". The implementation may be something simpler & mechanical in nature and not very sophisticated.

Would you have any details of how it is implemented in these buses ?
I too think Ashley is right. By steerable, I think when taking a big turn, like a U-Turn for example, the rear most wheels turn in the opposite direction of the front wheels. I have noticed it in close quarters in Chennai CMBT terminus. But I too don't know about its working mechanism.

Since you have started the topic of Vestibule Buses, being a big fan of them, I would like to attach a picture of the Ashok Leyland Vestibule Bus of TNSTC Trichy.
Attached Thumbnails
City Buses of various STUs all over India-tnstc-trichyal-vestibule-bus.jpg  

Old 30th January 2011, 19:47   #560
Senior - BHPian

Re: City Buses of various STUs all over India

I seriously doubt the rear most axles being steerable, considering the length of those buses, the fact that they would have to turn in the opposite direction and that the lengthened part is not exactly rigidly attached to the front.

The last reason is also probably the reason why the rear tyres looked to be moving in a different direction. Just like in a train on a turn, the front axle may be moving in a completely different direction than the rear most axle. A similar thing on a smaller scale is the case with these buses.
Old 30th January 2011, 21:25   #561
Senior - BHPian

APSRTC has included some TATA Marcopolo AC buses in Hyderabad. These are the same pattern as the DTC buses. Previously the Hyderabad had Volvo 9400 but don't seem to prefer them unlike BMTC.
Old 31st January 2011, 01:38   #562
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I was driving, so could not really notice it closely enough. Keep an eye out, will ya ?

I have kept a keen eye on these buses during my Chennai days. The wheels in the rearmost axle turn in the opposite direction as that of the front wheels, probably facilitated by some fairly simple mechanical linkages.

I think Ashley2 meant the above, when he said they are steerable.

MTC has a lot many of these buses plying between Thiruvanmiyur and Tambaram - not many twisties on that road, so it's easy for these vestibule buses to run. I once witnessed a less-experienced driver trying very hard to reverse one of these buses inside the Tiruvanmiyur depot workshop.

Last edited by silversteed : 31st January 2011 at 01:41.
Old 31st January 2011, 08:45   #563
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
...The wheels in the rearmost axle turn in the opposite direction as that of the front wheels, probably facilitated by some fairly simple mechanical linkages.

I think Ashley2 meant the above, when he said they are steerable.
You are right about that. They steer opp to the direction they make a turn.

Quote:
MTC has a lot many of these buses plying between Thiruvanmiyur and Tambaram - not many twisties on that road, so it's easy for these vestibule buses to run. I once witnessed a less-experienced driver trying very hard to reverse one of these buses inside the Tiruvanmiyur depot workshop.
T51 - Vestibule buses taking a right turn to enter Tiruvanmiyur depot is a classical example. There are cases where even the buses make a U turn without even entering inside the depot. The road width will not be more than 25 meters.
Old 31st January 2011, 08:59   #564
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
You are right about that. They steer opp to the direction they make a turn.

T51 - Vestibule buses taking a right turn to enter Tiruvanmiyur depot is a classical example. There are cases where even the buses make a U turn without even entering inside the depot. The road width will not be more than 25 meters.
Does AL do the body building for the vestibules? How are the sales and what is the future trend?
Old 31st January 2011, 09:45   #565
Senior - BHPian

I think only AL makes vestibule buses. APSRTC also has quite a few of them running in Hyderabad.
Old 31st January 2011, 10:29   #566
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Does AL do the body building for the vestibules? How are the sales and what is the future trend?
Attached a image which shows the Mega bus built on Vestibule platform. This is a low floor concept avatar of Vestibule bus.
Volume should be upto 400 to 500 buses/year.
Body is built by Suppliers only based on ALs design
City Buses of various STUs all over India-hand_shak.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
City Buses of various STUs all over India-hand_shake_20ad.jpg  

Old 31st January 2011, 10:39   #567
Senior - BHPian

Will it be a low-floor bus, like the RE buses supplied to KeSRTC? Or, similar to the Viking SLFs?
Old 31st January 2011, 11:24   #568
BHPian

Quote:
In fact at the Tambaram end (the other end point of T51) they definitely need to take the U turn in Velacherry road, just before the level crossing as there is no bus terminus and all buses start from the road.
Old 31st January 2011, 13:45   #569
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
I seriously doubt the rear most axles being steerable, considering the length of those buses,
Quote:
... The wheels in the rearmost axle turn in the opposite direction as that of the front wheels, probably facilitated by some fairly simple mechanical linkages.
There will be a drag link connected to the rear axle which is coupled from the front drop arm. This will facilitate the steering of the rear axle. You could see this clearly near the turn table(which actually makes the swirl)

Quote:
Will it be a low-floor bus, like the RE buses supplied to KeSRTC? Or, similar to the Viking SLFs?
The tractor will be similar to conventional one where as the trailor will have stepless entry.
Old 31st January 2011, 14:29   #570
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There will be a drag link connected to the rear axle which is coupled from the front drop arm. This will facilitate the steering of the rear axle. You could see this clearly near the turn table(which actually makes the swirl)
That explains how the wheels turn proportionally with the front wheels

Quote:
The tractor will be similar to conventional one where as the trailor will have stepless entry.
So, which one will be longer ie.,higher seating capacity - the tractor part or the trailer? And will there be air suspension in the trailer, and at least the rear axle of the tractor?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks