Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2013, 18:17   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Beat DIY - Unlocking Features in the Speedo console

OT

GM never misses opportunities, they fleeced Government of India by misrepresentation on Tavera emissions

They have shown similar behavior with customers patronizing their cars by not letting them have features for which the hardware compatibility is already there and a mere switch was to be provided, which calls for no investments instead with all these goodies, they could have got few more sales.

Too bad GM
i74js is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2013, 19:03   #17
BHPian

Wonderful writeup Soumya

I too am toggling the displays like a kid . Waiting for our next meet whenever anyone of us comes up with another brainwave(i am putting my money on Salbin again)
adg_andy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2013, 19:39   #18
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic work and the attitude to do it is praiseworthy especially such precise job. I am sure that many Beat owners would follow suit. Shame on GM India's part not to offer these as OE.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2013, 23:50   #19
BHPian

That's interesting, Great DIY! Pretty neat explanation/documentation You can make this thread a generic DIY trails for Beat. Have explored anything else?

Initially, I thought you are just going to unlock the feature by lock unlock kinda thing seen in Figo console for temp but this definitely needs courage. Someone would land up replacing the whole dash meter console if they fry their board while soldering, no? Be very cautious if you are going to try this sitting alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Money, my friend. The facelifted version would definitely carry this feature and more feature means more money.
Exactly, They just wanted to differentiate variants or facelifts from the previous rather than giving everything at once and have nothing to differentiate later. Makes sense from their point of view in my opinion. And its not only GM but almost all international automakers does this as we have noticed with VW, Ford on Auto-Up, Unlock driver door alone and so on.

O.T: Beat in general is a very nice car other than the boot space and engine noise. Interiors seemed really good compared to other cars in its segment. Too bad that Chevy couldn't do anything more to push it. What on earth made them to think of bringing Sail twins? That has in a way had a bad impact on the Chevy design honestly. Enough of going OT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i74js View Post
OT
GM never misses opportunities, they fleeced Government of India by misrepresentation on Tavera emissions
I certainly feel they are not the only one doing this. This has been discussed else where that many manufacturers tune in their cars for testing purpose alone. As suggested by the committee, it would be good to conduct any testing at the dealer level (or even random customer cars) rather than the planned visit at manufacturer level.

Last edited by ganesc : 30th October 2013 at 00:01.
ganesc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2013, 06:55   #20
BHPian

Great find, guys. Thanks for sharing. This is an area we haven't explored much yet. Other models/brands should also be having similar features hidden. It's time to explore more!

Cheers.
Old 30th October 2013, 11:18   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post

May I know how the DIY team came up with the idea that the feature was hidden till date? What led to "we know what" DIY?
Let me give you and idea about this.

@ramkris posted the very first clue here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post3245113

From his post got a lead to an international owner (may be a Russian) who discovered the Trip Computer and posted all the DIY detailed step here in a Russian photo album http://photo.qip.ru/users/1667132/39...l/?mode=middle

But it's our own dear @salbin who dare to open his console http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3258269 and look into it.

Rest is history

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidyanand View Post
Great DIY and Excellent guide.
I wonder if something like this could be implemented on the New Gen i20 after they removed this features on the lower variants.
Not possible since i20 don't have the required hardware like our Beat PS for unlocking the Trip Computer or speed sensing Auto Lock (for lower variant).

Cheers!

Vinu

Last edited by myavu : 30th October 2013 at 11:20.
myavu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th October 2013, 12:36   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
May I know how the DIY team came up with the idea that the feature was hidden till date? What led to "we know what" DIY?
Rate this thread 5 stars (Sorry could not do it while inital posting)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vidyanand View Post
This would be interesting, waiting for the reply.
Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
Let me give you and idea about this.
@ramkris posted the very first clue here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post3245113
From his post got a lead to an international owner (may be a Russian) who discovered the Trip Computer and posted all the DIY detailed step here in a Russian photo album http://photo.qip.ru/users/1667132/39...l/?mode=middle
But it's our own dear @salbin who dare to open his console http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3258269 and look into it.
Rest is history
@ myavu,
I was about to post the same and found you have already done it.
Thanks.

Further things to be explored:

- Adding the temperature sensor for Beat LS variants.
Since mine is LT, it was not required and hence did not check further.
May be someone having LS can take-up it further.

- Adding Bluetooth functionality - a wild guess - chances are rare.

- Adding steering mounted controls for the audio system in LT/LTO versions.
It should be very much possible.
The switch module is available in ebay.
http://www.ebay.ph/itm/2010-2011-201...item416c93e18f
But Very costly
It comes with the switch module and the clock spring assembly like this:
Chevrolet Beat DIY - Unlocking Features in the Speedo console-steering_control_spark.jpg
Chevrolet Beat DIY - Unlocking Features in the Speedo console-steering_control_switch_spark.jpg
Chevrolet Beat DIY - Unlocking Features in the Speedo console-steering_control_clock_spring.jpg
salbin is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th October 2013, 14:16   #23
Senior - BHPian

Very nice DIY! The only slightly difficult part is removing the plastic covers from the steering and dashboard to access the speedo console. Apart from that; I feel that for Beat owners this DIY is worth doing. Thanks for sharing such a nice thing. Now I need to check if something exists for the Micra as well!
W.A.G.7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2013, 15:46   #24
BHPian

Soumyajit & Salbin

Tremendous DIY and pictorial reference.

I am wondering why did Chevrolet hide these when the costing involved was peanuts.

i am also interested in knowing the tip-off which led to this DIY.
nidhin0816 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2013, 16:04   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
Wow !! That's incredible for the Russian guy to do this experiment.
If I am not wrong, in the second part, he installs the Temperature sensor ?

May be our PS owners can take clues from this guy to install a temperature sensor, that would make them at par with LT !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by salbin View Post
- Adding the temperature sensor for Beat LS variants.
Since mine is LT, it was not required and hence did not check further.
May be someone having LS can take-up it further.
The Russian guy has shown pictures of installation of a temperature sensor, if only someone could decode the Russian text in the pictures !!

Quote:
- Adding Bluetooth functionality - a wild guess - chances are rare.
We could go with an after market one, but I don't think our inbuilt Blaupunkt HU in Beat could have bluetooth feature.

Quote:
- Adding steering mounted controls for the audio system in LT/LTO versions. It should be very much possible.
The switch module is available in ebay.
http://www.ebay.ph/itm/2010-2011-201...item416c93e18f
But Very costly
It comes with the switch module and the clock spring assembly like this
This does the job perfectly, but I opened my calculator and started calculating, and came to approx 5k !!
That is shockingly costly !!
Old 30th October 2013, 16:26   #26
BHPian

Superb work guys!! :-) I hope the Chevy guys have a good reason for not giving the switch!! Cost cutting wouldn't suffice as an excuse in this case!! :P

Wish it could be a transformer as well!!
Sonubbsr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2013, 19:34   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganesc View Post
O.T: Beat in general is a very nice car other than the boot space and engine noise. .
Engine Noise !! I guess Beat is amongst the quietest of them all (if you are referring to the Petrol version). But yes- the luggage space is pathetic (Wish I could have my Boot as organized as Salbin )
adg_andy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2013, 21:09   #28
BHPian

Its good news for all the beat owners. I own a beat LS diesel and it's been my trusted partner through numerous long journeys and would like to have this function enabled in my car also but i have zero knowledge about the soldering stuff. I guess this goes viral and somebody offers to do this mod at any price. I will be the first to get it to done. My only grouse is the sound from the brake calipers (grinding noise). The svc has attended to this several times but the sound comes back after a couple of 1000 kilometers or so.
Old 31st October 2013, 01:06   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adg_andy View Post
Engine Noise !! I guess Beat is amongst the quietest of them all (if you are referring to the Petrol version). But yes- the luggage space is pathetic (Wish I could have my Boot as organized as Salbin )
Sorry for not being clear. I did mean that 3 cylinder Diesel motor. No experience with the petrol motor.
Old 31st October 2013, 01:49   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adg_andy View Post
But yes- the luggage space is pathetic (Wish I could have my Boot as organized as Salbin )
My boot too is little utilized till date. Permanent stuffs are like, a Double barrel foot pump, a Jopasu Car Duster, a Spare bulb, Triangle reflector and few shopping bags. (one extra big bag for carrying whole boot stuff along with teddy, napkin box and few other inside stuff while Beaty on service)

Cheers!
myavu is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed