Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2014, 13:58   #46
BHPian

Re: VW Polo DIY: OEM front armrest

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanomics View Post
Looks same, except that extra piece of metal next the main base stand and those extra screws (only three required with the one's we have fitted). Good they are giving washers though!

Would suggest not to order this as its not the same as majority here have successfully fitted (mostly from VW Shanghai). Rather order from Vagtune dot com as the price is less than ebay one, and possible custom duty is common to both so doesn't matter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
This armrest is meant for the Golf and Jetta MKIV and although it looks very similar to the Polo's OEM armrest, the dimensions may be different. Don't take the chances.

If not Aliexpress, check out J & J Motorwerks. They are retailing both the armrest models - the normal one and the one for the GTI with the cupholder at the rear. Their contact details can be had from their Facebook page.
Thanks amanomics and gannu
If possible can you please share some of the pics with the seats positioned according to your driveability and does the armrest touches the handbrake when it is in the lowest position and the handbrake is engaged. It happens in Vento.
Old 9th October 2014, 14:27   #47
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidhinsarath View Post
does the armrest touches the handbrake when it is in the lowest position and the handbrake is engaged. It happens in Vento.
The armrest will interfere with the handbrake when it is swiveled to the lower most position and the handbrake is engaged but IMO the most comfortable position of the armrest is when it is parallel to the ground and not inclined. And it does not interfere with the handbrake when located this way.

Do keep in mind the armrest is not height adjustable. It can only be swiveled/rotated about the rear.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2014, 15:04   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanomics View Post
Yes ofcourse it will fit!
I fitted mine last week, and ordered it two months before getting the delivery!
amanomics, can you share the AE link where you ordered the armrest from. Looks like there are quite a few fake ones on AE.
Old 12th October 2014, 15:57   #49
BHPian

Quote:

Do keep in mind the armrest is not height adjustable. It can only be swiveled/rotated about the rear.
You meant to say that its not like the one in Vento. Vento armrest can be adjusted in 3-4 positions.
Old 12th October 2014, 17:43   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crskumar View Post
amanomics, can you share the AE link where you ordered the armrest from. Looks like there are quite a few fake ones on AE.

Mr. Kumar I had posted the link, but its of no use now as that seller is no more shipping this product.

Would recommend J&J Motorwerks as I know few people who are facing the same issue on AE and going through JJ now. Contact details on their FB page.
amanomics is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2014, 18:16   #51
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
You meant to say that its not like the one in Vento. Vento armrest can be adjusted in 3-4 positions.
That's right. The armrest is not height adjustable.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2014, 18:30   #52
BHPian

Quote:
That's right. The armrest is not height adjustable.
When i drive vento i used to keep it in the second position that is parallel to the hand brake. The first position almost touches the hand brake when it is engaged. I hope this will be compatible with my driving position.
I enquired with J&J, they quoted 7800 for the ordinary one and 9000 with the cup holder. I'm also planning to get the VCDS cable online, but couldnt find any in indian sites. Since i am working in kochi, planning to visit vagtune to get the tweaks done. I hope they will do it.
Old 22nd October 2014, 12:13   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta5 View Post
I have attached the picture of the armrest as it came in the box, n I had to pry open the marked panel to fix it in. It did come out with gentle push with a screwdriver and some force later on.
Hi Delta5,

My armrest was also shipped completely assembled and I can't for the life of me figure out how to pry open the LHS panel. I can see the clips but don't know how to loosen them - one of the clips is all the way inside and almost inaccessible.

Can you (or anyone else who shared the same predicament) please share how you went about doing this, exactly?

Thanks!
Old 18th November 2014, 23:47   #54
BHPian

I've finally managed to source my armrest. But I've never done a DIY before and am a little wary. Any recommendations of places I can go in South Bombay/Thane to get it fixed?
Old 19th November 2014, 09:41   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by holysmoke View Post
I've finally managed to source my armrest. But I've never done a DIY before and am a little wary. Any recommendations of places I can go in South Bombay/Thane to get it fixed?
Any car shop mechanic would be able to fix it. Just follow Gannu's instructions from here.
Old 19th November 2014, 23:14   #56
BHPian

My armrest was the GTI one, with a different base as gannu has mentioned later on in the thread. Wasnt as easy, but finally got it installed at an accessories shop.
Old 24th December 2014, 14:18   #57
BANNED

with the excellent step by step process laid out by gannu i was able to do my first DIY in installing the armrest with relative ease. i'd like to share a few things which i observed to anyone who tries this next on their own.

installing the bolt on the left side of the base is the hardest part due to the angle but after that rest of the steps are quite easy.

i want to point out 2 things here. This won't matter to 95% of the population. but for the rest of 5% like me who are into the detail of things these 2 points will make a huge difference....

1. once the left bolt is installed the right one has a bit of play available. This is important as there is movement of about close to less than an inch available to angle the the base forward to backwards. This sounds very less but i tried installing the base all the way forward/left and the all the way backward/right and then trial installed the armrest on the base in both angles.

This makes a difference to which direction is the Armrest is pointed after final installation and it then makes a difference in the way you want to keep your arm on it and helps in finding out which angle suits you best. I drove around a little in both situations to find the perfect angle.

2. After you find the correct angle, you tighten the right side bolt. Now you fix the armrest onto the base and pass the bolt through the base into the armrest hole. while tightening it the top part of the armrest tends to move around a bit before finally settling at a particular angle.

At this time take help of another person to push the top part of the base all the way forward while you are tightening the bolt. this makes sure that the armrest installs as forward as possible. I did this as i feel the length of the armrest is a bit smaller than i'd like. So every possible cms/inch it is forward while installing will make a difference.

cheers

Last edited by rana_kirti : 24th December 2014 at 14:19.
rana_kirti is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st December 2014, 09:49   #58
BHPian

Today i ordered an arm rest with cup holder for my polo from Vagtune.
Price quote: 10791/-:(
Old 31st December 2014, 10:11   #59
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Today i ordered an arm rest with cup holder for my polo from Vagtune.
Price quote: 10791/-:(
That sounds a bit on the higher side. Did you contact JJ Motorwerks? I recall spotting a lower price few months back.
Old 31st December 2014, 10:16   #60
Senior - BHPian

I don't recommend Vagtune for things like armrest. He is importing from the same sources in Aliexpress, but keeps a margin for himself.
poloman is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks