Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2015, 10:00   #46
Team-BHP Support

Re: DIY: VW Polo Bi-Xenon Projectors. Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III Installation

Ganesh, there are 2 ways to go about with the projector setups on the new Polo/Vento.

a. If you go the bi-xenon way, one barrel will be empty (the high beam one since that seems to be have the smaller reflector). With this method, both your low and high will be working out of a single projector.

b. If you go for the projectors for only the low beam, the high beam will continue working out of the stock halogen bulb. Or vice versa.

So figure out how you want to go about with this. Both are doable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
I checked the Morimoto Mini Stage III D2S page
If you are going the bi-xenon way, I’d advise the FXR although it might be a little bit laborious compared to the Mini D2S. Between the Mini D2S and the FXR, the FXR offers a better output and throw. Cutting the reflector to suit the FXR is the only part that will take some time and effort but will be worth it IMO. Do consider it. That said, I have been content with my setup so far - absolutely no regrets. Have done several night and early morning drives and this has proved immensely helpful. Get the 3” lens if you can.

Quote:
The current Polo comes with independent H7 bulbs for high and low beams. What is the harness to be used?
Honestly, I have no clue at the moment. The current setup is a bit more complex because, unlike the earlier headlamps wherein each bulb had its independent harness and connector from the factory, in your headlamp it comes with a single harness and connector:

DIY: VW Polo Bi-Xenon Projectors. Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III Installation-img0830.jpg
Source: Google Images

Perhaps you will need an adapter cable to split the low and high beams out of the existing connector while the remaining indicator and parking lights continue to operate out of another connector like the stock one plugged into the headlamp itself. Something like this:

DIY: VW Polo Bi-Xenon Projectors. Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III Installation-1.png
Source: Google Images

Frank may be able to answer what was the harness type used as one of the new TSI owners with the dual barrel headlights have upgraded to the FXRs. I believe he has also ordered the FXR setup.

Quote:
Tried an online chat with TRS support, the support person suggested CAN Bus: H7 harness.
In fact, the TRS Support chaps suggested me the Canbus harness as well, going by the Golf and Jetta sold in the US market but that wasn’t the case with our Polo which had the H4 bulbs back then.

Quote:
Which of the bulbs in the present headlight assembly should I replace with the projector?
The low beam one since the reflector is bigger and would be easier to install.

Quote:
I guess it is the outermost one which is the low beam.
Correct.

Quote:
If I replace the low beam lamp with the projector, what will be done with the existing high beam lamp?
If it’s a bi-xenon projector, the high beam reflector will be empty.

Quote:
Will the BCM throw a bulb error for this?
The current Polo models do not have a bulb-out warning IINM. Why don’t you try removing a bulb (low or high) and check if you are getting a bulb-out warning on the cluster? You can also check VCDS if it gives an open circuit error.

Quote:
When you decided to go with 4150K OSRAM Xenarc lamps, what was this decision based on? How did you make the choice between 4150K, 4200K and 5500K
I wanted an OEM grade HID bulb with a yellow-white output without any bluish tinge.

Quote:
How do I choose the shroud? I see there is a very long list. Is the shroud selection based on looks, or is it also based on mechanical dimensions and match to the headlight assembly?
Mechanical dimensions of your reflector and housing first, followed by looks. I had to trim the shrouds when I installed it on my headlamp.

Quote:
Is there a document or online resource that can help in understanding about all these choices? I could not find any detailed documentation on the TRS website.
TRS has an online forum where the admins are the owners of TRS. Do give it a shot - HID Planet

Quote:
As always, thanks in advance for the guidance.
No problem.
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2016, 16:00   #47
Team-BHP Support

Hi Ganesh,

Need some advice.

I got the HID projectors installation done at Lumens systems Bangalore. Overall the installation has come out well in terms of fit, look, light intensity etc. I am trying to solve a few issues.

1. While driving back from Bangalore, I noticed one of the beams to be oscillating heavily when the car was going over rough roads. I doubted that the projector was moving inside the assembly. After reaching home, I found that the projector + reflector assembly was moving when I hold the rear side of the bulb and apply some pressure. Looks like one of the guiding screws for lateral and up/down movement of the reflector is not fit correctly. Any way I can make this connection without having to open up the assembly?

2. I am not satisfied the way the wiring has been done. All the connections are done right and the light is working as it is supposed to work. But they have used regular insulation tape for the joints. As the connections are inside the engine compartment, I don't think the regular insulation tape will last long. I want to redo the wiring myself with proper joints with heat shrink tubes. I remember having seen in one of your threads (forgot which one) you had mentioned about heat shrinking tubes. Where can I get these? Local electronic shop or automobile wiring shops? Is there any online source for this?

3. I am not satisfied with the alignment. They aligned the lights against a wall with some fence in the foreground. So, the cutoff is not sharp. I will have to do this myself or get it done at somewhere. Where do they usually do HID alignment? What type of shop should I look for?

If I can solve these above issues, I think the projector upgrade will be a complete success.

Can you please give me some guidance on these?

Also, as you had explained in your earlier post, the wiring was indeed complex. As they did not have a mating connector, they wanted to splice wires from the wiring harness. But I was stubborn that this should not be done. So, they salvaged some blade terminals and plugged these terminals into the wiring harness. I am planning to get the below connector from AliExpress and create my own wiring harness to make this proper plug and play.

Polo Wiring Connector

DIY: VW Polo Bi-Xenon Projectors. Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III Installation-headlight-wiring-connector.jpg

Here is a picture of the projectors.

DIY: VW Polo Bi-Xenon Projectors. Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III Installation-projectors.jpg

Got the loose reflector issue resolved. Using the rear of the bulb, I held the reflector tightly on the upward direction, and turned the alignment screw. I felt the screw threading into the nut inside, and now the projector assembly is not shaking anymore.

Now, I need to align the projectors.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 11th January 2016 at 16:51. Reason: Back to back posts merged.
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2016, 09:12   #48
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I got the HID projectors installation done at Lumens systems Bangalore. Overall the installation has come out well in terms of fit, look, light intensity etc. I am trying to solve a few issues.
Congrats Ganesh, the setup looks great.

Quote:
1. While driving back from Bangalore, I noticed one of the beams to be oscillating heavily when the car was going over rough roads. I doubted that the projector was moving inside the assembly. After reaching home, I found that the projector + reflector assembly was moving when I hold the rear side of the bulb and apply some pressure. Looks like one of the guiding screws for lateral and up/down movement of the reflector is not fit correctly. Any way I can make this connection without having to open up the assembly?
Unfortunately no. The plastic threaded shaft has to be accessed after opening up the headlight. Opening the older single barrel light is pretty simple and you may not need another round of butyl glue for this. The newer ones are a pain I heard.

How did the installers mess this up? If you’ve paid for this retrofit, I would expect them to fix it at their cost.

Quote:
2. I am not satisfied the way the wiring has been done. All the connections are done right and the light is working as it is supposed to work. But they have used regular insulation tape for the joints. As the connections are inside the engine compartment, I don't think the regular insulation tape will last long. I want to redo the wiring myself with proper joints with heat shrink tubes. I remember having seen in one of your threads (forgot which one) you had mentioned about heat shrinking tubes. Where can I get these? Local electronic shop or automobile wiring shops? Is there any online source for this?
Heat shrink tubing can be bought from eBay (Link) locally. Pick a size as per your requirement. On top of this, insulate the heat shrink joints using a flexible plastic tubing and cable ties - they are available at the local electrical outlets. The job will look neat without the individual joints exposed.

This is the tubing I am referring to:

DIY: VW Polo Bi-Xenon Projectors. Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III Installation-10length12widthsplitloomwirecableflexibletubingwireconduithosecovercar.jpg

Quote:
3. I am not satisfied with the alignment. They aligned the lights against a wall with some fence in the foreground. So, the cutoff is not sharp. I will have to do this myself or get it done at somewhere. Where do they usually do HID alignment? What type of shop should I look for?
I suppose you got this part resolved from a Bosch service center as per the update above. But the alignment still looks a bit off. As in, the lights are focused towards the center whereas they should have been a bit wider. This can be done by rotating the alignment screws using a hex key/Allen key.

I believe the projectors are secured using a nut behind the reflector. Did they not use an epoxy adhesive or m-seal in front of the reflector to permanently secure the mount? Else the nut will eventually loosen due to the vibrations and you will have to tighten it from time to time. If you are opening up these headlights again (I believe you should ask your installer to), please ask them to use M Seal to fix the projector with the reflector on the front side of the bowl.

Just curious, what are the specs of the bulbs and ballasts?
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2016, 10:14   #49
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Congrats Ganesh, the setup looks great.
Thanks Ganesh. Your DIY was the trigger for the upgrade

Quote:
Unfortunately no. The plastic threaded shaft has to be accessed after opening up the headlight. Opening the older single barrel light is pretty simple and you may not need another round of butyl glue for this. The newer ones are a pain I heard.
Fortunately, this did not require opening up the headlights. Before I took the car to Bosch, I had tried to lock the screw and nut by turning the alignment screw. It looked like the movement got arrested. But when I was driving to Bosch, the assembly became loose again. Turned out I had tried the trick on the wrong screw. At Bosch service, the guy understood the problem and said there is a chance he could solve this without opening the assembly. And he was able to do this. He explained something about a locking mechanism which could be fixed from outside. Now the projetors are not moving anymore.

Quote:
How did the installers mess this up? If you’ve paid for this retrofit, I would expect them to fix it at their cost.
When the installation was complete at 8PM on Sunday, we noticed a very small stain inside the glass. I wanted this to be removed. This required opening up the headlight again. As it was getting very late, I think the technician ended up with this mistake. As it was past 9PM, I too did not have the presence of mind to get the alignment checked once again. I noticed this issue only on the drive back to Coimbatore Monday early morning.

The installer is very co-operative in getting the issue resolved. Had I been in Bangalore, this would have been done. But as I was back in Coimbatore, we needed to figure out how to get this fixed. Either the installer had to come to Coimbatore, or I had to go to Bangalore or I had to send the headlight assembly to Bangalore. All of these were a pain in terms of logistics. However, before we could decide on the course of action, the issue got resolved at Bosch center.

Quote:
I suppose you got this part resolved from a Bosch service center as per the update above. But the alignment still looks a bit off. As in, the lights are focused towards the center whereas they should have been a bit wider. This can be done by rotating the alignment screws using a hex key/Allen key.
I think I posted the wrong image just before completion of alignment. I remember the technician doing lateral adjustments to get the beams wider. This is the final picture, where the beams are wider. Should I make it still wider?

DIY: VW Polo Bi-Xenon Projectors. Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III Installation-dsc03084.jpg

Quote:
I believe the projectors are secured using a nut behind the reflector. Did they not use an epoxy adhesive or m-seal in front of the reflector to permanently secure the mount? Else the nut will eventually loosen due to the vibrations and you will have to tighten it from time to time. If you are opening up these headlights again (I believe you should ask your installer to), please ask them to use M Seal to fix the projector with the reflector on the front side of the bowl.
Yes. The projector is secured using a nut. They did not use any epoxy to secure the projector to the reflector. As there is no need to open up the headlights now, is there anything I can do from outside? Like use something like LockTite on the projector's nut to prevent it from becoming loose?

Quote:
Just curious, what are the specs of the bulbs and ballasts?
Bulbs: CN bulbs, 55W, 5000K
Ballast: Fast Bright ballast, 55W
Projectors: NHK Gold Series (similar to Morimoto Mini H1)

In the HID conversion thread, distinguished member sgiitk mentioned Hyalutek is the best in ballast. The installer said he is getting Hyalutek ballasts for the next batch and has promised me he will send them to replace the Fast Bright ballast.

Quote:
Heat shrink tubing can be bought from eBay (Link) locally. Pick a size as per your requirement.
Thanks a lot for the link. I was searching in sites like element14, mouser etc (where I shop for electronics components), and the prices there were astronomical. Your ebay links are lifesavers. I will select a few sizes and order.

Last edited by graaja : 12th January 2016 at 10:20.
Old 26th January 2016, 15:39   #50
Team-BHP Support

Hi Ganesh,

I am planning to get a set of rubber caps for the headlights so that I can properly seal the headlights against moisture. TRS sells these rubber caps in various sizes.

TRS rubber caps

The minimum size available in TRS is 75mm. I tried to measure the size of the flange on the headlight on my car, but could not measure due the cramped interiors. I managed to measure the inner diameter of the rubber cap though. It was 72mm. By the way the cap fits the flange, I think the flange may be 73mm. So, 75mm cap from TRS may be a loose fit.

Following AliExpress page has various sizes of caps and 72mm is also available.

AliExpress caps

Not sure which of these to go for. When you made the PVC extension for the headlight, did you measure the OD of the flange? Do you remember what the size was?

EDIT: Though the AliExpress product page heading says 72mm, in the picture with all the products, there is only 75mm in 4 different models. So, should I just go with 75mm from TRS?

Last edited by graaja : 26th January 2016 at 15:44.
Old 1st March 2016, 11:26   #51
BHPian

Quote:

We used a couple of cable ties (initial idea was to use a jubilee clip but zip ties did the job beautifully) to secure the PVC pipe properly.
Gannu, I didn't understand this point. Can you please elaborate on this?

Also, is it compulsory to remove the existing OEM butyl sealant and use a fresh one like you did?
I've heard that the same OEM sealant can be re-used around 6-8 times so the tedious task of removing and cleaning it before inserting a new sealant can be avoided. What is your opinion on this?
Old 4th March 2016, 17:46   #52
BHPian

Experts,

I went through almost all the threads on modifying headlight of polo/ Vento and now I am planning to get mine modified tooFirst thing to mention that I am not going to do on my own (not even in my dreams), I have planned to buy the complete kit from Retro Rides in Gurgaon. After talking to Mr. Dikshit (Retro Rides) he has quoted me 24K for Mini D2S square (x lens).
Kit will include:
Morimoto Projector Mini D2s Square
Morimoto Bulb (Yet to decide for 45K or 55K)
Morimoto Ballast 55W
Square Shroud (Not sure on specification).
Another 5500 for Angel eye setup and approx. 4500 for DLR(optional).
Now I need your advise that is it a good option as I think I am spending a lot on this setup.
Why go for Square , does it improve output or is it just aesthetic ?
I am assuming that its Bi-Xenon setup so it will serve both high and low beam, am I right ?
Also what are the other questions that i should ask him before moving ahead?
PS: He have declined to install FXR on Vento

Last edited by vineet1712 : 4th March 2016 at 17:49.
Old 11th March 2016, 10:40   #53
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeru View Post
Gannu, I didn't understand this point. Can you please elaborate on this?
Will click a snap and share it here sometime later. Have to do some work on the front bumpers and the headlamp units have to be removed + new mounts have to be screwed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeru View Post
Also, is it compulsory to remove the existing OEM butyl sealant and use a fresh one like you did? I've heard that the same OEM sealant can be re-used around 6-8 times so the tedious task of removing and cleaning it before inserting a new sealant can be avoided. What is your opinion on this?
No, the stock sealant is sufficient if you don't scrape off the glue from the cavity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineet1712 View Post
Now I need your advise that is it a good option as I think I am spending a lot on this setup.
It is if you are looking for a good bi-xenon setup. You will realise it when you do night drives.

Quote:
Why go for Square , does it improve output or is it just aesthetic ?
Aesthetic mostly and smaller reflector bowls can accommodate square projectors easily over the round ones.

Quote:
I am assuming that its Bi-Xenon setup so it will serve both high and low beam, am I right ?
Yes.

Quote:
Also what are the other questions that i should ask him before moving ahead?
Where will the ballasts be secured? How are the projectors sealed inside the reflector bowls? Wiring connectors outside the headlamp? Please request him not to do a shoddy tape job as it will come off eventually. Use proper connectors wherever applicable.

Quote:
He have declined to install FXR on Vento
Why is that? Is this on a single barrel old headlamp or the newer dual barrel ones? It is possible to install the FX R on the older bowls.
Old 13th March 2016, 10:30   #54
BHPian

i am all set, Thank a lot Gannu

A glimpse of my Morimoto setup:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...-vento-13.html

I am still trying to understand the best alignment of projector to get best focus.
Old 25th March 2016, 08:37   #55
BHPian

Gannu_1, I need wiring diagram of polo 10 pin headlight connector in order to fit headlight levelling motors. If you could provide layout of the wires it would be of great help.
Old 25th March 2016, 08:50   #56
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilsoft View Post
Gannu_1, I need wiring diagram of polo 10 pin headlight connector in order to fit headlight levelling motors. If you could provide layout of the wires it would be of great help.
DIY: VW Polo Bi-Xenon Projectors. Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III Installation-wiring.png

This should help for converting from the dual barrel headlight to the previous model.
Gannu_1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th March 2016, 10:21   #57
BHPian

Quote:
i am all set, Thank a lot Gannu

A glimpse of my Morimoto setup:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...-vento-13.html

I am still trying to understand the best alignment of projector to get best focus.
I have also got a similar sort of setup from retrorides. Did you had h4 headlights?
For alignment you can take a look at graaja's thread or youtube videos. As a rule of thumb the incoming traffic side beam should be 3 inches lower than the other side.
Old 27th March 2016, 13:42   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilsoft View Post
I have also got a similar sort of setup from retrorides. Did you had h4 headlights?
For alignment you can take a look at graaja's thread or Youtube videos. As a rule of thumb the incoming traffic side beam should be 3 inches lower than the other side.
Yes Sunil I have H4 and I have also aligned the lights accordingly.
When did you got it setup from retrorides, share some pic if possible. How is it performing?
Old 27th March 2016, 15:17   #59
Senior - BHPian

That's an extremely neatly executed DIY. Congrats.

Just one question. What is so special about the Morimoto projectors which makes them so expensive compared to other projectors?
pedrolourenco is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2016, 16:03   #60
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Attachment 1490250

This should help for converting from the dual barrel headlight to the previous model.
Hi Gannu,

When I upgraded to projectors using previous generation H4 headlight housing, I lost the vertical range adjustment function. Because of this, when I have passengers in the rear, my headlight is pointing a little high and possibly glaring oncoming traffic.

I am planning to install headlight leveling motors to the setup. I checked for headlight leveling motors and there are some options available in AliExpress and eBay. But I am not sure which of them would fit the H4 headlight assembly.

AliExpress Option 1

AliExpress Option 2

eBay Option 1

eBay Option 2

Do you have the part number for the headlight range control motors in your car?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks