Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2014, 09:50   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
Spot on. Creaking not just on downward inclines, but also on big road imperfections.

Wow that's one brilliant DIY solution to a relatively small but really irritating problem! Thanks.
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2014, 09:54   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: DIY - VW Polo/Vento: Getting rid of Door Rattles

VW have suggested Krytox special lubricant spray G052 172 A2 (Part number) for this problem. One of the FM's had shared the technical service handbook with the subject "Squeaking Noise from rubber seal". This was issued way back in December 2011. I am surprised that the problem continues even today. A colleagues face lift Vento Tsi has had this problem right from delivery day. Undulations in the road is enough for the creaking noise to be heard and it is very irritating.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 18th November 2014 at 09:56.
Old 18th November 2014, 10:06   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
VW have suggested Krytox special lubricant spray G052 172 A2 (Part number) for this problem. One of the FM's had shared the technical service handbook with the subject "Squeaking Noise from rubber seal". This was issued way back in December 2011. I am surprised that the problem continues even today. A colleagues face lift Vento Tsi has had this problem right from delivery day. Undulations in the road is enough for the creaking noise to be heard and it is very irritating.

Probably not a one time permanent solution. And also, would't lubricant spray be a dust magnet?
Old 18th November 2014, 11:29   #19
BHPian

Thanks for posting the DIY.

My Rapid has started rattling for some time now. Happens only on rough road and nothing on smooth highways.
It goes away after service and returns in no time.

Will definitely try this.
500ContyCruiser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2014, 14:11   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
And also, would't lubricant spray be a dust magnet?
I am sure it will. Seems to be the only solution on offer from VW.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post3582680
Old 18th November 2014, 14:30   #21
BHPian

My rapid has this rattling sound.
It sounds as if something is lose and is bouncing there.

I dont think it is from the door as it sounds as if it is coming from the engine bay above the left tyre.

I dont see anything lose inside .
One of the two pieces is metal for sure.
The second can be hard plastic or metal.

Any suggestions?
Old 18th November 2014, 14:38   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
I am sure it will. Seems to be the only solution on offer from VW.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post3582680
Yeah, it seems that worked good for a year. Should be good as the lubricant would get rid of friction between the rubber and metal. But if this DIY solves the problem once and forever, I think it would be better than having a lubricant applied to exposed parts in our dusty road condition. I usually don't let the car wash guys apply any liquid even to the tyres (for the black shine) after wash, to avoid dust accumulation.

d_himan has already mentioned that the bucket test has been carried out and no leaks were detected. That should be good enough. However since our monsoons are pretty strong, I would just re-confirm the same during routine pressure wash to ensure it does not leak at all. Thanks.

Last edited by ajaypjayaraj : 18th November 2014 at 14:45.
Old 18th November 2014, 16:37   #23
BHPian

I've been getting that sound right from the day I took delivery of my Vento TSI in July this year. It for sure is the sound of rubber from the doors. It's like the sound you get from the overhead bins of airplanes when they are taxing to the runway.

It isn't as frequent now....

Sometimes, I like that sound
Old 18th November 2014, 17:35   #24
BHPian

There is a service advisory(SA) for this already - you can refer to the same.
2 solutions.

1. Go to VW, they will apply thin plastic film to the inner door frame. SA advisory link here.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3347891

2. WD 40 does work - i am using it for last 3 years. You need to spray the WD 40 on a cloth and then apply the same on the RUBBER lining on the doors frame. Both on the rubber seal and also on the velvet fininsh on the door.
3. Other creaks like armrest can also be arrested by WD 40.
newtonMeter is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th November 2014, 12:50   #25
BHPian

BTW How did you guys identify that the sound was from the door and not from anywhere else?
Old 19th November 2014, 14:01   #26
BHPian

I have an older Polo, 2010 highline. The vehicle has a few squeaks, which seems to be emanating from the hooks - where the seat is connected to the floor. Any ideas about what we can do to trouble shoot, apart from visiting the A$$, please?
Old 19th November 2014, 18:06   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKap View Post
It for sure is the sound of rubber from the doors. It's like the sound you get from the overhead bins of airplanes when they are taxing to the runway.

It isn't as frequent now....

Sometimes, I like that sound
You'll like the absolute silence much better, trust me! Also, apparently, some of the noises reduce with age apparently with the rubber 'setting in'

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtonMeter View Post

1. Go to VW, they will apply thin plastic film to the inner door frame. SA advisory link here.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3347891

2. WD 40 does work - i am using it for last 3 years. You need to spray the WD 40 on a cloth and then apply the same on the RUBBER lining on the doors frame. Both on the rubber seal and also on the velvet fininsh on the door.
3. Other creaks like armrest can also be arrested by WD 40.
Thanks for the link! Will get it done 5 months later for my first check up in case I feel the need to. For now, the pipe is keeping me very content!

WD 40 didn't work for me at all - this was the first thing I tried. I then cleaned it all up since it was also attracting some dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by manas27587 View Post
BTW How did you guys identify that the sound was from the door and not from anywhere else?
I didn't know 100% it was from the door - I thought initially seat belt holder for sure, or something inside the doors themselves. I has no idea that rubber hitting metal can also make a rattling sound like metal hitting metal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshuman_v View Post
I have an older Polo, 2010 highline. The vehicle has a few squeaks, which seems to be emanating from the hooks - where the seat is connected to the floor. Any ideas about what we can do to trouble shoot, apart from visiting the A$$, please?
Try WD-40 first.
Old 20th November 2014, 13:39   #28
BHPian

@ d_himan, thank u very much for an informative post. I too was little worried about the rubbery noise from my polo while going over speed breakers, inclines etc, but could never figure out the real cause. I thought it was some kind of body frame making noise due to torsional forces. After seeing your post, I am convinced about the root cause of the noise as I verified the same in my own way..! In fact u can 'check' that noise in the following way:

Put your palm on the rear window and apply to and fro pressure on the glass (window fully closed) in the direction as shown in the pic. The pressure has to be applied inwards, as if u want your palm to go through the glass. You can now audibly hear the squeaking noise.. if it exists!! I really works...!

I will try the method as suggest by d_himan to get rid of the noise today. Thanks a lot.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY - VW Polo/Vento: Getting rid of Door Rattles-p1.jpg  

Last edited by akash_m : 20th November 2014 at 13:42.
akash_m is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th November 2014, 14:56   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_m View Post
@ d_himan, thank u very much for an informative post.
I will try the method as suggest by d_himan to get rid of the noise today. Thanks a lot.
Thanks Akash, already have a couple of messages that it’s worked for their Polos. I hope it works out for you!
Old 20th November 2014, 20:05   #30
BHPian

I do agree with d_himan about liking the silence better. Believe it or not, that sound from the doors seems to have disappeared. I did nothing. I just let it "set in". It's been 4 months since I took delivery of my car and the sound just stopped!! The only annoying sound now left is that of the armrest.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks