Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2018, 11:43   #1
BHPian

DIY - Removing moisture buildup from the foglamps (Maruti Ertiga)

Every monsoon I always spot cars with water filled fog lamps and moisture holding up in headlight or taillight housings. It may not look like a big deal, but the water will start to corrode the reflector in two to three weeks and the dried water residue will start accumulating on the lens/ glass making it difficult or nearly impossible to clean.

I also faced this issue with my car, with the recent heavy rains, I had to drive the car through a feet deep water, and this is when the water seeped in.
I ignored it at first, thought the water will drain itself or maybe dry up with the heat from the bulbs, but it only worsened it. The reflector began rusting and I had to act quick to make sure they didn't corrode completely.

This guide is specific for Ertiga (2015 model), the older model (2012) has a different method to remove the fog lamp housing.
The previous model had screws for the housing on the inner side of the bumper, so taking the bumper out was necessary.
But in the 2015 model, the fog lamp housing can be accessed without removing the bumper.

Taking out the fog lamp housing cover:
This cover is held in place by some flexible and irritating clips that do not come out easily. They bend when you try to pull them out making the work more difficult. In case you are unable to free it from the front side you will need to open the bumper from the wheel arch, and undo the clips manually. To remove the cover start prying from the area pointed by the red arrow. Use a flat head screw driver and cover it with an insulation tape to prevent it from scratching the black plastic. Once it's free from here you can slowly pull it out till the other end.
DIY - Removing moisture buildup from the foglamps (Maruti Ertiga)-img_20180730_144131.jpg

The 9 clips and their locations:
DIY - Removing moisture buildup from the foglamps (Maruti Ertiga)-img_20180730_144741.jpg

Close up on the design of the clips:
DIY - Removing moisture buildup from the foglamps (Maruti Ertiga)-img_20180730_144749.jpg

In case you are unable to free the clips like mine, take out the screw that holds the bumper in place, from the wheel arch. Then gently pull the bumper outwards, once you are able to access the fog lamp housing, you can free the clips one at a time. Since its difficult to see inside, you can turn ON your phone camera and look at the position of the clips, or better yet take a video. It work's.

Opening the bumper to access the housing:
DIY - Removing moisture buildup from the foglamps (Maruti Ertiga)-img_20180730_141624.jpg
DIY - Removing moisture buildup from the foglamps (Maruti Ertiga)-img_20180730_160515.jpg
DIY - Removing moisture buildup from the foglamps (Maruti Ertiga)-img_20180730_160525.jpg

Once the cover is out you can see the housing being held by two star head screws. Take the screws out and the pull the housing out carefully.
DIY - Removing moisture buildup from the foglamps (Maruti Ertiga)-img_20180730_142630.jpg

The wire and the light will be connected to the housing after taking it out, press the clip on the holder and undo it. Now the bulb and the housing will be separated from the car. To remove the bulb, press it inside and twist it in anticlockwise direction, it should pop out. If it doesn't come out try rotating it clockwise.

The housing, holder and the bulb:
DIY - Removing moisture buildup from the foglamps (Maruti Ertiga)-img_20180730_144604.jpg
DIY - Removing moisture buildup from the foglamps (Maruti Ertiga)-img_20180730_145649.jpg
DIY - Removing moisture buildup from the foglamps (Maruti Ertiga)-img_20180730_145152.jpg

Once the housing is out, hold it firmly and swing it vigorously to remove all the water accumulated inside. There is a vent to remove the moisture and water out, but it doesn't seem to work as expected.

The vent with a plastic grey cover, underneath it is a rubber cover with a mesh and below that the vent hole:
DIY - Removing moisture buildup from the foglamps (Maruti Ertiga)-img_20180730_144530.jpg
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180730_144604.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	2.97 MB
ID:	1788789
DIY - Removing moisture buildup from the foglamps (Maruti Ertiga)-img_20180730_144612.jpg

Since the swinging doesn't take out the water completely and there are some fine droplets still inside. I decided to heat the housing to ensure all the water was evaporated. Before doing so, make sure you have both the housings taken out and swung dry, so that you can reduce the heating time as much as possible.
Before proceeding with the heating use a dry clean cloth and using a flat head screw driver push it inside the housing, making sure the screw driver doesn't scratch the lens. Move the cloth inside to clean the lens to remove water residue, else it will dry up on the lens itself during heating.

Cloth to remove the water:
DIY - Removing moisture buildup from the foglamps (Maruti Ertiga)-img_20180730_145314.jpg

Rusting at the bottom portion:
DIY - Removing moisture buildup from the foglamps (Maruti Ertiga)-img_20180730_145502.jpg

The fog lamps themselves generate a lot of heat, and since mine were upgraded one's(80W) they were helping a lot to evaporate the water. Before starting to heat, make sure the vent is completely open and the mesh rubber and plastic cover is removed. Install the lamps inside the housing and start the car and turn on the fog lamps. Since you need to keep the lights on for more than 15 minutes, I will recommend to keep the car ON, so that the battery doesn't drain out. Also you will need to hold the housing upright while the heating is going on. You will need to cycle between both the lamps or better yet take help of someone to hold it upright. The reason to hold it upright is to ensure water comes out from the vent hole.

The housing with the lights on and water clearing slowly from the lens:
DIY - Removing moisture buildup from the foglamps (Maruti Ertiga)-img_20180730_143241.jpg
DIY - Removing moisture buildup from the foglamps (Maruti Ertiga)-img_20180730_143246.jpg

Once most of the moisture is out, you can turn off the lights and the car.

Since I had upgraded the fog lamps the rubber ring that prevents water from seeping in had become hard. It was not keeping a water tight seal. So I swapped it with the original bulbs rubber ring.

The fog lamp with the rubber ring:
DIY - Removing moisture buildup from the foglamps (Maruti Ertiga)-img_20180730_145621.jpg

Once done put everything back in place, including the vent mesh cover and plastic cover.
When putting the grey vent cover make sure to not press it completely inside but keep some free space between it, to ensure ventilation.
If at all the moisture does come back, then using a fine needle or safety pin make small holes on the mesh to increase the ventilation.

Before cleaning:
DIY - Removing moisture buildup from the foglamps (Maruti Ertiga)-img_20180730_150339.jpg
DIY - Removing moisture buildup from the foglamps (Maruti Ertiga)-img_20180730_150440.jpg

After cleaning:
DIY - Removing moisture buildup from the foglamps (Maruti Ertiga)-img_20180730_150503.jpg

Last edited by francis_vaz : 10th August 2018 at 14:28.
francis_vaz is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 13th August 2018, 08:38   #2
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!

Last edited by GTO : 13th August 2018 at 08:38. Reason: Bump
Aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2018, 09:07   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

re: DIY - Removing moisture buildup from the foglamps (Maruti Ertiga)

Nice thread Francis and thanks for the details. At first when I read the title, I presumed you were facing some other issue than the moisture inside the fog lamp housing. This is because, I used the stock fog lamps for nearly 120,000 kms, experimented with both H8 and H11 bulls (with a cut on the holder) and also drove quite regularly under heavy to very heavy rains, water logged roads (especially elevated flyovers and closer to medians on Bangalore's Outer ring road) but with all this, I never faced the fogging/moisture issue with this assembly.

The only irritant, constant one at that was the deposits of asphalt on these lamp housing, mainly due to roads taken which were freshly laid. So I did end up with a cleaning process, but the external side using Tar remover spray and managed to bring it to a better condition if not best and had posted that here.

Few pictures from that DIY:

DIY - Removing moisture buildup from the foglamps (Maruti Ertiga)-bumper_removed_inside-.jpeg

DIY - Removing moisture buildup from the foglamps (Maruti Ertiga)-fogbefore-cleaning.jpeg

DIY - Removing moisture buildup from the foglamps (Maruti Ertiga)-fogduring-cleaning-1.jpeg

DIY - Removing moisture buildup from the foglamps (Maruti Ertiga)-fogafter-cleaning.jpeg

Honestly, there is no such difference between the Before-After pics as the scratches remained and were irreparable .

And you are right, the bumper has to be removed in this case unlike your model which I feel is super easy (Like the First Gen Swift) where even Horns were easily accessible from the outside.

Later, I fell prey to ORSAM LEDriving Fog lamps that was retailing at 10,999/- on amazon and have been using it ever since.

Over a casual discussion with nkrishnap, he also hinted at these Fog lamp assembly (Stock replacement) from Hella. They were not only universal fit for the Ertiga or most cars with 90mm Dia but also came with Glass reflector along with higher wattage (H11-55w against H8-35w) which I was contemplating but picked the OSRAM LEDriving Fog lamps during an offer on Amazon. You may certainly want to have a look at the Knight Breakers.

Last edited by paragsachania : 13th August 2018 at 09:13.
paragsachania is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th August 2018, 15:54   #4
Senior - BHPian

Re: DIY - Removing moisture buildup from the foglamps (Maruti Ertiga)

Any tips for headlight and tail lights folks? My city headlights are fogging from inside during rains.
Old 13th August 2018, 17:05   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
Any tips for headlight and tail lights folks? My city headlights are fogging from inside during rains.
You should find something similar for headlights. I have not seen taillights fogging unless there is a crack in the lens.

After reading this, I checked my A-Star headlight and sure enough there was a rubber cap and filter exactly the same as pictured in this thread. The filter looked clogged with dirt and had turned black.
I had seen this cap before but was not aware that it was the vent cover. It felt hard to move/wiggle. It looked like hard plastic and I believed it was part of the headlight molding itself.
I was looking for this since two years now. Super glad to find it but alas the headlight clear lens has got stained with left over scales and now I need to replace the whole unit.

Previously after a water wading incident, the fog lights started to steam and looked like a one eye cataract. I got it checked with ASS and they changed the fog light for a cool 1K. All I needed to do was remove the vent cover
Old 13th August 2018, 17:23   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Nice thread Francis and thanks for the details. At first when I read the title, I presumed you were facing some other issue than the moisture inside the fog lamp housing. This is because, I used the stock fog lamps for nearly 120,000 kms, experimented with both H8 and H11 bulls (with a cut on the holder) and also drove quite regularly under heavy to very heavy rains, water logged roads (especially elevated flyovers and closer to medians on Bangalore's Outer ring road) but with all this, I never faced the fogging/moisture issue with this assembly.
Thank You!
We also owned a 2012 Ertiga before we took a new one last year. But the previous model never had this issue although it had seen more rains and water logged places in 4 years. This newer model is however facing this issue more often, as we speak water has collected again and I will need to remove and clean it again. I think there is some problem with the assembly, will get it checked with the SA and maybe get both replaced.

Quote:
The only irritant, constant one at that was the deposits of asphalt on these lamp housing, mainly due to roads taken which were freshly laid. So I did end up with a cleaning process, but the external side using Tar remover spray and managed to bring it to a better condition if not best and had posted that here.
That stuff is really irritating to remove especially from the body.
I use a cloth dabbed in kerosene and gently scrub the area and wash the kerosene off with foam/shampoo. It does not leave any marks and works quite well. If kerosene is not available I use diesel to clean both body and glass and especially wheels. It makes cleaning easier.

Quote:
Later, I fell prey to ORSAM LEDriving Fog lamps that was retailing at 10,999/- on amazon and have been using it ever since.
To spend 11K on fog lights only I'll have to take written permission from my Dad.
But do share the light output photos if possible so I can compare them with the 80W halogens I am using currently.

Quote:
Over a casual discussion with nkrishnap, he also hinted at these Fog lamp assembly (Stock replacement) from Hella. They were not only universal fit for the Ertiga or most cars with 90mm Dia but also came with Glass reflector along with higher wattage (H11-55w against H8-35w) which I was contemplating but picked the OSRAM LEDriving Fog lamps during an offer on Amazon. You may certainly want to have a look at the Knight Breakers.
I am currently using HELLA 80W halogen bulbs as I mentioned earlier, the product you have mentioned; does it have any special reflector design that enhances the throw of the light or just a higher wattage bulb in the reflector assembly.

Quote:
As far as headlights go, fogging can be normal as I was told by MS technician.
Reason is the headlight assembly is not air tight as headlights don't have washers or rubber rings like fog lamps. The fogging will clear out eventually.

If water is collecting in the assembly than it's got to be a crack somewhere on the assembly.

Last edited by Aditya : 13th August 2018 at 20:50. Reason: Back to back posts merged
francis_vaz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2018, 20:40   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by francis_vaz View Post
As far as headlights go, fogging can be normal as I was told by MS technician.
Reason is the headlight assembly is not air tight as headlights don't have washers or rubber rings like fog lamps. The fogging will clear out eventually.

If water is collecting in the assembly than it's got to be a crack somewhere on the assembly.
I start the headlight so that the heat can evaporate the water. But don't think that it is normal for fogging in headlamps. None of my previous cars had this issue.
Old 13th August 2018, 21:02   #8
BHPian

Quote:
I start the headlight so that the heat can evaporate the water. But don't think that it is normal for fogging in headlamps. None of my previous cars had this issue.
I am assuming you have H4 type headlights. If you take into consideration the way the lights fit, you will notice that there is no air tight seal to keep water and moisture out. The assembly is exposed to the atmosphere.
Hence there is fogging on the lens.
If it was sealed, than moisture accumulation would have not been an issue.

I am adding a picture of how the H4 lights fit. There is a rubber cover that sits above this, that is the dust cover.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY - Removing moisture buildup from the foglamps (Maruti Ertiga)-webp.netcompressimage.jpg  

Last edited by francis_vaz : 13th August 2018 at 21:04.
Old 13th August 2018, 22:35   #9
BHPian

Quote:

Hi Parag / Francis,

Very appropriate thread Francis - at this time of the year.

Do you know if these "Knight Breakers" would be a direct fit on the SX4? More importantly, would the "fog lamp" wiring on the SX4 be able to handle the 55W bulbs in the "Knight Breakers"? Is the throw much better than the useless original fog lamps?

Regards,
SS
Old 13th August 2018, 22:49   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am assuming you have H4 type headlights. If you take into consideration the way the lights fit, you will notice that there is no air tight seal to keep water and moisture out. The assembly is exposed to the atmosphere.
Hence there is fogging on the lens.
If it was sealed, than moisture accumulation would have not been an issue.

I am adding a picture of how the H4 lights fit. There is a rubber cover that sits above this, that is the dust cover.
Not sure if I have the H4 type. I have a Dec 14 VX model. Also, this happens on one headlight only.
Old 13th August 2018, 23:10   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
Hi Parag / Francis,

Do you know if these "Knight Breakers" would be a direct fit on the SX4? More importantly, would the "fog lamp" wiring on the SX4 be able to handle the 55W bulbs in the "Knight Breakers"? Is the throw much better than the useless original fog lamps?

Regards,
SS
You can measure the size of the fog lamp lens from outside, I am assuming it will be 90mm as MS shares most of the parts with its other cars. As far as the fitting goes as Parag sir mentioned earlier they are universal fit for all 90mm fog lamps, so fitting won't be an issue.

Coming to the wiring part and the capacity to handle 55W bulbs, I would suggest you to have a look at the SX4 user manual or where you can get details regarding the rating of the fuse used for the fog lamps.
A simple calculation can help you with it.

Assume the fuse used for fog lamps is rated 20A and the voltage for it to work is 12V.
To find wattage multiply voltage and current. i.e 12V*20A= 240W. This is the maximum wattage that the fuse can handle without any issues.
Now if we take example of Knight Breaker's , they are rated at 55W each, total would be 110W.
So it should work without any issues on your stock wiring.

About the output, I have not used the lights, so won't be commenting on that.

Quote:
Not sure if I have the H4 type. I have a Dec 14 VX model. Also, this happens on one headlight only.
Yes I just checked online, it has H4 adapter type bulbs.
You can show it to your SA and see what he has to say about it.
I have the same issue in my Ertiga after washing the car, but it goes away by itself in sometime. So I don't really worry about it much.
I cleaned the fog lamp assembly due to rusting and water accumulation.

Last edited by francis_vaz : 13th August 2018 at 23:21.
francis_vaz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2018, 09:04   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
But do share the light output photos if possible so I can compare them with the 80W halogens I am using currently.
Here's a video that I posted last year: Post: ORSAM LEDriving Fogs for Ertiga (Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here).

Quote:
The wiring will certainly not be an issue. I have used H11 (55w) on my stock reflector for quite a few months before I moved to OSRAM LEDriving Fogs.

It is my presumption that SX4 also comes with the Standard (or rather universal) 90mm reflector for the Fog Lamp Assy and hence you should be able to Kinight Riders without issues.

I am checking with Audioholic who has an SX4 to confirm the same for you.

Last edited by paragsachania : 14th August 2018 at 09:08.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th August 2018, 10:19   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Parag / Francis,

Regards,
SS
Quote:
Here's a video that I posted last year: Post: ORSAM LEDriving Fogs for Ertiga (Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here).

It is my presumption that SX4 also comes with the Standard (or rather universal) 90mm reflector for the Fog Lamp Assy and hence you should be able to Kinight Riders without issues.

I am checking with Audioholic who has an SX4 to confirm the same for you.

Yes Parag, it is the same fog lamp assembly that goes into most Maruti Suzuki cars, except the recent Swift, Dzire and Celerio and Ignis. They come with a different one. The rest have the same assembly.

@Suzuki_San, Yes you can indeed upgrade the wattage of the fog lights without any wiring changes since there is already a relay for the fog lights and the current wiring can take up the extra 20W load. I was running 55W fogs on my WagonR without any issues until I sold the car. However, I had to slightly grind one of the tabs at the base of the bulb in order to fit the H11 bulb into H8 seat. The coupler for both bulbs are same so no worries on that. However, to be honest, since the reflector of the fog light is average and not much focussed, the higher wattage fog lights would not make a huge difference to the overall light output. Hence, even if you invest in H11 bulbs get the regular ones and not the ones which are expensive like nightbreaker, Xtremevision etc.

Last edited by audioholic : 14th August 2018 at 10:48.
audioholic is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th August 2018, 11:01   #14
BHPian

Quote:
The output is properly focused in these lights.
Also I noticed that in the video the lights were pointed downwards, did you align them like that or it is the default setting.
What is the color temperature of these lights and are there any heating issues considering you are using them from the past one year.
Old 14th August 2018, 11:09   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Also I noticed that in the video the lights were pointed downwards, did you align them like that or it is the default setting.
I didn't change anything. They were fitted with the default setting.

Quote:
What is the color temperature of these lights
Color temperature: up to 6,000 K

Quote:
and are there any heating issues considering you are using them from the past one year.
Absolutely no heating issues. In fact, more than the fogs its the DRLs that are part of this unit that work all day during driving and the wattage of the DRLs is rated higher. Fogs are rated 16w while the DRLs within are 24w.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks