Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2021, 02:38   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: DIY - Tata Nexon XZ+ - Osram 35W HID conversion kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYAM View Post
Thanks for the amazing write up and attention to detail. I am planning to follow your footsteps and install the same bulb in my 2018 Ecosport low beam projector.
Happy as always to know the thread helped!
Quote:
However I got a bit confused after seeing the product images in Amazon.
Apparently there is a plastic portion behind the bulb's mounting point, which is not visible in your DIY images. Is there such a part in the actual product. If it is there, i am afraid I wont be able to close the dust cap after the installation of the bulb.
Can you please paste the link of the product you are checking on Amazon? The bulb design that you have shown in the image, is not H7. I suspect its the DH4 spec bulb. Check the low beam specifications for your EcoSport. Typically it would be H7 or H1. Not H4. So look for the Osram kit accordingly.

Also, as a personal opinion, I'd suggest using 55W HID kit from other brands than this. I have replaced the Osram kit and the 55W kits are unquestionably superior in lighting quality, at same or lower price. These as well as the Osram kits tend to be made in China. So there is no right/wrong there either.

Good luck. You can reach out in case you need any further information. Cheers.
Old 2nd October 2021, 18:56   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post

Can you please paste the link of the product you are checking on Amazon? The bulb design that you have shown in the image, is not H7. I suspect its the DH4 spec bulb. Check the low beam specifications for your EcoSport. Typically it would be H7 or H1. Not H4. So look for the Osram kit accordingly.
Thank you for the prompt response, Reinhard.
The link I used was the one you posted in the DIY.

Quote:
Amazon might have re-designated the link to another product. Ecosport facelift uses H18 halogens (65W) for low beam projectors. Since H18 HIDs/ LEDs are hardly available online or retail, I was planning to use H7 with some slight modifications. As you are advising to go for 55w HIDs, can you suggest any products?
Old 3rd October 2021, 20:24   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for the prompt response, Reinhard.
The link I used was the one you posted in the DIY. Amazon might have re-designated the link to another product.
Right - I just checked. Seems they have used a generic image of a DH4 bulb, and even a separate relay kit in it . Can be ignored. The product link is still for DH7, which is the counterpart for H7 halogens. So thats OK, sorry for getting confused earlier looking at that image.
Quote:
Ecosport facelift uses H18 halogens (65W) for low beam projectors. Since H18 HIDs/ LEDs are hardly available online or retail, I was planning to use H7 with some slight modifications. As you are advising to go for 55w HIDs, can you suggest any products?
I see, never realized that the EcoSport had H18. Do check the bulb mount once, I believe H18 has an extra cut notch in the base of the bulb. In case the mounting base inside the headlamp has a complimenting structure - you'll need to slightly tweak the HID bulb base (in worst case, probably not at all).

Yes - I'd definitely suggest using 55W. GS / AES / IPHCar / CrystalEye - all are good. Pick whichever is available. Try BlazeIndia (you can look them up on FB & connect from there. If you want - DM me & I'll give you the phone number of the proprietor). Or - you can check MotorBasket.com. Also - there are a large set of sellers based in Karol Baugh Delhi - who supply these. You can look up a bit and find something even on internet. Blaze & MotorBasket - I have plenty of personal experience of procuring from them so can vouch. Others - I have not dealt with.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2022, 14:31   #49
BHPian

Amazing thread. Not sure how I missed this one previously!

I have a Scorpio with H7 Halogen projectors for the low beam. Woefully inadequate for night drives. Seriously contemplating doing this conversion too, most likely DIY.

Just had a question regarding the alignment of bulbs in the holder. Please could you explain in a bit more detail on how to make sure I get this right?

Also along with Osram, could you share a few more details/links of the other branded conversion kits you have mentioned? Which one is best?

Thanks!

Ps. Really sorry to see how the rats damaged all your hard work.
s4ch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2022, 11:18   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4ch View Post
Amazing thread. Not sure how I missed this one previously!
Thanks! Glad you found it useful.
Quote:
I have a Scorpio with H7 Halogen projectors for the low beam. Woefully inadequate for night drives. Seriously contemplating doing this conversion too, most likely DIY.
Poor stock lights is like an axiom in our market. Hardly any exceptions. Better do it DIY unless you know a really trustworthy electrician / accessories store fellow. They tend to hustle it in overconfidence often, and do a shabby wiring job or tear up the dust-cap poorly.
Quote:
Just had a question regarding the alignment of bulbs in the holder. Please could you explain in a bit more detail on how to make sure I get this right?
Don't worry much - the base of the bulb has "universal" notches, that fit in H7 and some other holders. In H7 - the notch may fit in 2 different orientations. Before you fit it all and close the headlamp rear cap - test it once. If you see a shadow of the front terminal wire in the focus throw - just rotate the bulb in the other orientation. This is the easiest way to go about it. Depending on the projector design - in some cars a mild shadow may persist - but its easily ignorable and you'll stop noticing it in a week. If the shadow is prominent - you need to rotate the bulb.
Quote:
Also along with Osram, could you share a few more details/links of the other branded conversion kits you have mentioned? Which one is best?
Ps. Really sorry to see how the rats damaged all your hard work.
Well - the rat attack was a boon in disguise. I changed the Osram kit to a more powerful 55W HID kit, and the result is excellent!
Here is a sample test video of my setup after changing to the new kit -

You can contact Blaze India and few others in Delhi (Like MotorBasket) who are reliable sources of imported HID conversion kits. The brands that I have used multiple times in quite a few cars are (In order of preference) -
  1. GS - Best packaging and quality. This is made in Taiwan, not PRC.
  2. IPHCar - De facto brand in the HID / projector fog lights area.
  3. CrystalEye - well known brand in HID and LED auto lighting.

GS - you'll get easily with BlazeIndia generally. Others generally don't stock this set too often. Price difference is marginal and worth it.
I'd definitely suggest going for one of these 55W kits over the 35W Osram ones (which are Chinese made too and show no difference in any material quality compared to these cheaper alternatives).

Last edited by Reinhard : 16th May 2022 at 11:20.
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2022, 11:12   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Better do it DIY unless you know a really trustworthy electrician / accessories store fellow. They tend to hustle it in overconfidence often, and do a shabby wiring job or tear up the dust-cap poorly.
Thanks, will definitely give this a go in the coming weeks. I plan to order replacement dust caps from Boodmo, easily available, and work on those, get it right and then head down to the car for fitment.

Quote:
Well - the rat attack was a boon in disguise. I changed the Osram kit to a more powerful 55W HID kit, and the result is excellent!
Here is a sample test video of my setup after changing to the new kit.
Your setup looks amazing. I do a lot of Pune>Bangalore drives and inevitably the last leg sometimes ends up being at night. So definitely looking forward to using this setup soon.

I think I am going to go with Osram as it is easily available on Amazon, with a no hassle returns policy. Please could you check this link to see if this would work? I believe it is the Gen2 kit (labelled as "Conversation" rather than "Conversion"!, whatever that means! Osram Xenon DH7 4200K HID Conversation Kit Generation 2 Headlight Bulb (12V, 35W)

It mentions 4200K as standard colour and 6000K as "high". Do you know what that means? I really only want 4200K as that is best for visibility.

Thanks again for all your help.

PS. I am also in Pune. If possible could I ping you if I get stuck anywhere in the middle?
Old 19th May 2022, 11:34   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I think I am going to go with Osram as it is easily available on Amazon, with a no hassle returns policy.
So - if this is the only reason to go for Osram, rather than the 55W kits - I'd reiterate my recommendation to go for the 55W ones. I can connect you with reliable folks who give good pan India shipping + proper replacement warranty without hassle.
Quote:
Please could you check this link to see if this would work? I believe it is the Gen2 kit (labelled as "Conversation" rather than "Conversion"!, whatever that means! Osram Xenon DH7 4200K HID Conversation Kit Generation 2 Headlight Bulb (12V, 35W)
It mentions 4200K as standard colour and 6000K as "high". Do you know what that means? I really only want 4200K as that is best for visibility.
Yes - this is the one that you have to buy. The link is correct. Of course - verify the delivered package to say 4200K. In the worst case if they end up shipping the 6000K one - you'll need to opt for replacement.
Quote:
PS. I am also in Pune. If possible could I ping you if I get stuck anywhere in the middle?
Of course!
Old 14th April 2023, 19:06   #53
BHPian

Bumping up this tread since I plan to replace the stock halogen of my Nexon. @Reinhard - Would you recommend HID or LED (considering the new 4200k 50W LED from Osram)? I posted some of my questions in the LED thread and understand that LEDs are not very efficient when it comes to auto lightning, but I am more concerned about the heat and long term damage to the projector. I still can't figure if HID or LED generates more heat. Also, do you encounter those black shadow lines in the beam?
Old 17th April 2023, 10:27   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.sumit View Post
Bumping up this tread since I plan to replace the stock halogen of my Nexon. @Reinhard - Would you recommend HID or LED (considering the new 4200k 50W LED from Osram)? I posted some of my questions in the LED thread and understand that LEDs are not very efficient when it comes to auto lightning, but I am more concerned about the heat and long term damage to the projector. I still can't figure if HID or LED generates more heat. Also, do you encounter those black shadow lines in the beam?
Hi Sumit, here are my thoughts about your questions -
  1. First of all, if you want to go for LED - don't go for the 4200K etc. Typically, LEDs provide maximum lumens in white. The warmer temperatures are achieved by adding a tint over the chips, thereby actually also reducing the light output a bit. Go for 5000K etc, white light LED.
  2. LEDs are now a days really good I have to say. I've always been a fan and strong proponent of HIDs, but latest gen LEDs are remarkable. Now my Nexon is the only car that has low beam HID and projector HID fog lamps. Here are the car setups -
    1. Ignis - H4 LED headlamp, Bi-LED projector fog lamp
    2. Polo - H7 LED low beam, H7 LED high beam, H16 LED fog lamp
    3. Nexon - 55W HID low beam, H7 LED high beam, 55W HID bi-xenon projector foglamps.
  3. So - completely LED upgront in the Ignis and Polo! And - I'm mighty impressed with how these 2 are performing. Of course - both cars are with reflector setup, no projectors in headlamps.
  4. LED installation in a stock projector - is a bit tricker than reflectors. You may have to try a few LED options to find the best matching one for the OEM Projector, as the distance of the chip of the LED from the focal point of the lens, is what matters the most for the perfect beam.
  5. I have now replaced the 35W Osrams with GS 55W HID kit in the Nexon. The lighting is so bright, that the shadow no longer exists. I think it gets flooded over by light even if there is one! In the Osram kit - there definitely was a slight shadow visible.
  6. As for temperature - Halogen IMO heats up the most! So LED and HID - both are fine for the stock projector.
Old 17th April 2023, 18:47   #55
BHPian

Quote:
[*]First of all, if you want to go for LED - don't go for the 4200K etc. Typically, LEDs provide maximum lumens in white. The warmer temperatures are achieved by adding a tint over the chips, thereby actually also reducing the light output a bit. Go for 5000K etc, white light LED.
The new Osram 50W LEDs either have 4200K or 6000K color temperature. I was considering 4200K since I don't like the color difference when stock halogen is used in high beam. I guess I will have to go all in and order 2 pairs to cover both high and low beam.

Quote:
[*]LED installation in a stock projector - is a bit tricker than reflectors. You may have to try a few LED options to find the best matching one for the OEM Projector, as the distance of the chip of the LED from the focal point of the lens, is what matters the most for the perfect beam.
I have seen a YouTube video and the low beam pattern of these Osram 50W LEDs was excellent. No issues there.

Quote:
[*]As for temperature - Halogen IMO heats up the most! So LED and HID - both are fine for the stock projector.[/list]
That's a great insight, I was worried about it since manufacturers use a fan with LED to keep it cool.
k.sumit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2023, 15:37   #56
BHPian

I am about to upgrade the stock low beams on the projectors of my Nexon EV XZ+ and have procured LED Headlight G5210 50W 12V PX26D 3XFS10X2 4F OSRAM Wattage: 50W Voltage: 12V 4200k.
While installing, should I install each bulb sideways meaning the led chips are one pointing upwards and one downward or to install it vertically whereby the led chips are pointed one left and one right.
Any pointers on how to align the led bulb will be greatly appreciated, many thanks in advance.
Old 26th July 2023, 17:36   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo29 View Post
I am about to upgrade the stock low beams on the projectors of my Nexon EV XZ+ and have procured LED Headlight G5210 50W 12V PX26D 3XFS10X2 4F OSRAM Wattage: 50W Voltage: 12V 4200k.
While installing, should I install each bulb sideways meaning the led chips are one pointing upwards and one downward or to install it vertically whereby the led chips are pointed one left and one right.
Any pointers on how to align the led bulb will be greatly appreciated, many thanks in advance.
Hello, how is the mounting plate of the LED bulb? Does it come with an H7 mount base? Or its generic? If its an H7 specific mounting - then it will anyway dictate the orientation in which the bulb will be installed, because the 3 notches on the base plate, will align and fit in the existing slots in the headlamp housing. Then you simply have to insert and twist the bulb into position, which will happen only in 1 position.

If its a generic mount, best is to install the mounting plate, then soft-insert the bulb, turn it on while holding the heatsink, and turn it slowly. The position in which you get the sharpest cut-off and highest light concentration, will be the position in which to mount it. Depends a lot on the specific bulb model and positioning of the projector lens' focal point. Even this trial and error is not too tough, will be over in 5 minutes.
Do post the output pictures. Good luck!

Last edited by Reinhard : 26th July 2023 at 17:37.
Old 26th July 2023, 17:51   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Hello, how is the mounting plate of the LED bulb? Does it come with an H7 mount base? Or its generic? If its an H7 specific mounting - then it will anyway dictate the orientation in which the bulb will be installed, because the 3 notches on the base plate, will align and fit in the existing slots in the headlamp housing. Then you simply have to insert and twist the bulb into position, which will happen only in 1 position.
Many Thanks for a quick revert, very much useful.
It's the H7 mount plate and same setup as that of an ICE Nexon.
I will certainly post pictures during and post installation.
diablo29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2023, 13:00   #59
BHPian

I have now upgraded the stock low beam halogens of Nexon EV to Osram 50w LED warm white 4200k and the lights looks awesome.
However have a query on the first headlight position on the stalk at which the led doesn’t light up. The DRL just dimes a bit , without the low beam headlight turning on dimly. Pictures attached showing the headlight stalk position and the corresponding pic of headlight in that position. Would this be normal behaviour for the led setup or I have not installed it correctly ? Appreciate any guidance on the topic . Thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails
DIY - Tata Nexon XZ+ - Osram 35W HID conversion kit-img_1497.jpeg  

DIY - Tata Nexon XZ+ - Osram 35W HID conversion kit-img_1496.jpeg  

Old 27th July 2023, 15:10   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo29 View Post
However have a query on the first headlight position on the stalk at which the led doesn’t light up. The DRL just dimes a bit , without the low beam headlight turning on dimly. Pictures attached showing the headlight stalk position and the corresponding pic of headlight in that position. Would this be normal behaviour for the led setup or I have not installed it correctly ? Appreciate any guidance on the topic . Thanks in advance
Ah - thats the standard behaviour of the DRL in the Nexon and many more, that have the LED DRL inside headlamp housings. Just that you have only realized it now - in your Nexon EV as well, before you changed the bulb - the functioning was exactly the same, don't worry. In no car will the actual Low beam turn ON in position lamp setting. Either the DRL dims or there is a separate very small (T10 usually) bulb that turns on.

The position lamps (some call them parking lamp) are usually turned on during dusk / when parked temporarily. In the developed world (and maybe in India as well) - the regulations state that the DRL must dim when its dark (i.e. when lights are ON, because the unusually styled white LED strips otherwise can cause distraction for oncoming traffic). Carmakers use the regulation + LED capability to get rid of the small position lamp bulb altogether. They simply dim the DRLs - which are still far brighter than the usual small halogen position lamp bulb.

So no - you have not installed your bulb incorrectly . Its not supposed to turn on unless you are in 2nd position of the headlamp stalk.

Last edited by Reinhard : 27th July 2023 at 15:12.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks