Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2019, 13:09   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: DIY - Tata Nexon XZ+ - Osram 35W HID conversion kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by samay300 View Post
I am planning to do the same kind of set up in my brezza..Thanks for demonstrating the installation process. It was very informative.
I have just one suggestion regarding this type of setup for Brezza, save your money, don't go the HID way in Brezza. The OEM projectors aren't that good to do justice to HIDs. You'll have more of glare. If at all you want to try it, I'll suggest to see a Brezza that has HID setup in stock projector and then decide.

Brezza headlights are not that great so if you really want, get a retrofit done. But retrofit has its own headaches. Since can't send you a PM, sharing a thread here for your reading with due apologies to Reinhard. Link (Terrible experience with Autobots, Gurgaon (headlight upgrade))

Last edited by BoneCollector : 25th September 2019 at 13:34.
BoneCollector is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th September 2019, 13:11   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post

No Nexon has manual headlamps. No auto feature.

This is a bit of a shocker for me. Flipping the lights is standard with H4. I absolutely don't understand why the low beam is being switched off when high beam is turned on in manual mode in your car. Is that standard in all XUV5oo s? Or thats a result of some aftermarket bulb fitment wiring etc? Its a bit risky too, since in this case when on high beam - your car is actually not lighting up the nearer road area and can lead you into a pot-hole! It shouldn't be this way. Get it changed if you can please.

In all cars with twin bulb headlamps - in manual mode, the low beam stays on when high beam is flashed for pass or turned on by pushing the stalk farther towards console. Low beam does not turn off.

HID should not be used in a scenario where lights turn on/off often. Not only do they have a "start-up" time, frequent power cycles are also harmful for the ballast, igniter & bulb's lifetime.
May be i was not able to put it correctly. The concern is related to flashing of headlight only. I manual mode, flashing momentarily switches on the high beam when you touch the stalk and back to low beam when your release it which is standard to all the vehicle. No aftermarket fitting here.

Anyways i think i got my answer. If this is the situation then low beam may take time to lit up which is not preferred for HID setup.
Old 25th September 2019, 13:25   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_3306 View Post
May be i was not able to put it correctly. The concern is related to flashing of headlight only. I manual mode, flashing momentarily switches on the high beam when you touch the stalk and back to low beam when your release it which is standard to all the vehicle. No aftermarket fitting here.

Anyways i think i got my answer. If this is the situation then low beam may take time to lit up which is not preferred for HID setup.
I understand that it happens only for flash. But its still incorrect. This is not how it happened in my Vista, not how it happens in my Nexon & not how I have seen in any other double barrel headlamp car. If headlamps are ON, and you flash high beam, LOW BEAM should stay on & high beam should light up and go. Low beam should not go out for even those few moments. High beam gets "added" to the low beam, not replace low beam. M&M should rework the wiring if this is how it is in all XUV5oo s. But I think thats not how it is.
Old 25th September 2019, 14:18   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I spent a total of about INR 6500.00 including zip ties! One can't get better VFM while getting a product from a recognized brand like Osram.
I agree - a very good price for a branded unit coming from a German Company . But was disappointed to see them offering just a 1 year warranty. Would expect 2 years from such top brands.

Quote:
I feel for cars that have factory fit projectors - this should be the FIRST step of lighting upgrade. Many prefer going to BiXenon projector fog lamps (Blaze India/Morimoto/XenonPlanet etc.). They are of course good & should be the go-to upgrade for reflector equipped cars.
Good Point - totally agree.

Quote:
STAGE 2 lighting upgrade. I plan to replace the rudimentary stock fog lamps. They are just 19W! Dhuh. Plan is to replace with 55W bi-Xenon projector fog lamps soon.
Awaiting to hear about your Bi Xenon Projector Upgrade...

Overall an excellent thread and your step by step explanation is very easy to follow and understand.
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2019, 14:34   #20
BANNED

Excellent thread sir.

Good explanation with clear images for all individual steps which will help everyone attempting this kind of upgrades.

Quote:
I feel for cars that have factory fit projectors - this should be the FIRST step of a lighting upgrade. Many prefer going to BiXenon projector fog lamps (Blaze India / Morimoto / XenonPlanet etc.). They are of course good & should be the go-to upgrade for reflector equipped cars. For cars that already have a projector, the OSRAM HID conversion kit should be the primary means of improving road illumination.
+1 to this. Hope the unit is reliable and runs long.

After I got my Creta, had bought the same Osram Kit first from PayTm which was a Dead-on-arrival - disappointed, returned and got the same again from Amazon.in. Installed and it ran well for 2 days. The third day, the left bulb failed. Uninstalled the whole kit and reverted to stock. Returned the Osram kit to Amazon. Locally only the 6000K version kits were being sold and I wanted the 4200K one.

After a little more researching, bought the Morimoto D2S 4.0 Stage III projector retrofit kit. Been over 23,000 kms and almost a year since the retrofit. All is good.
a4anurag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th September 2019, 16:08   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Awesome Reinhard. This is indeed a wonderful DIY and glad that it was executed without much ado and was fully successful too. The output as I expected is indeed very good.

Like you, I too wasn't aware of this product till I was hinted by bhpian speedsatya who ran the same set-up on his Ciaz for over 70,000 Kms (talking about reliability). So when another friend of mine picked up the Ciaz, the first upgrade was for the headlights and we installed exactly this product and even this Ciaz has now clocked 21,000 Km after this installation and works like charm.

Regarding the cut-off pattern, I guess one will always need to check thoroughly the way these HID Bulbs fit into the slot in the headlamp cluster. Even if they are fitting with the slightest deviation, the cut-off will not be perfect. In my case, as I had explained earlier, I had to remove the RHS headlight cluster to properly seat the bulb in place.

DIY - Tata Nexon XZ+ - Osram 35W HID conversion kit-img_20180930_175119.jpg

I never had to doubt about the quality of products from Osram (barring their night breaker series) because I also use one of their other product - LEDriving Fog since last 2 years and at least 70,000 Km without a single incident of these going kaput.

But yes, at times wrong installation during these DIYs or ordering from sources that you can't rely can damage your pocket and the product. I am sure that has not been the case with most of us who pick products from Osram on Amazon.

Wish you happy, safe and well illuminated driving with the upgraded lights . The DIY thread helps a lot because you have provided all the required information for those who would like to execute this for their cars that also come with same spec of headlamp bulbs.
paragsachania is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th September 2019, 16:30   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
After I got my Creta, had bought the same Osram Kit first from PayTm which was a Dead-on-arrival - disappointed, returned and got the same again from Amazon.in. Installed and it ran well for 2 days. The third day, the left bulb failed. Uninstalled the whole kit and reverted to stock. Returned the Osram kit to Amazon. Locally only the 6000K version kits were being sold and I wanted the 4200K one.

After a little more researching, bought the Morimoto D2S 4.0 Stage III projector retrofit kit. Been over 23,000 kms and almost a year since the retrofit. All is good.
Overall, Osram Products have been excellent if I have to compare them with other cheaper imitations that require a lot of adjustments to fit into our cars. They come with crystal clear installation details for both type of installation - with and without Canbus.

Coming to the buying experience of these products, a lot depends on the seller profile too and we often see many many end up buying from unreliable sellers (more than the sites) and receive counterfeit or damaged products. Apart from this, these products are to be handled with care during installation and things can go wrong if not taken care and then we blame the product itself.

I know of a case where an accessory shop fellow in the name of "hardwiring" a Dashcam, cut the plug side wires and directly connected that to 12v power resulting in complete damage to the Dashcam because they need 5v to function and not 12v. So, it is very important that the DIY is done keeping in mind all these aspects and not just as just another DIY.

Nevertheless, congratulations to BHPian Reinhard for the nice upgrade and such great explanation.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th September 2019, 11:07   #23
BHPian

A very professional install Herr Reinhard! We never expected any lesser from you anyway
This should be one of the new features of the upcoming Nexon facelift. In our country, proper illumination is of utmost importance and you have done a very stellar job at it
aveoman19 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2019, 20:16   #24
BHPian

I cant find any mention of this product in OSRAM's official website, Let me know if any of you'll find it. Can I use the OSRAM Ballast/Amp with D2S bulbs and morimoto projectors, connectors point of view? Thanks
Old 27th September 2019, 07:43   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiplash7 View Post
I cant find any mention of this product in OSRAM's official website, Let me know if any of you'll find it. Can I use the OSRAM Ballast/Amp with D2S bulbs and morimoto projectors, connectors point of view? Thanks
Yes that's right. I had tried to find too but couldn't. Anyway a lot of products on their site appear to be out of sync. The site seems to be geared up towards LED. Since this kit isnt street legal in EU perhaps its not on the portal. Dont know.

I have not worked with the Morimoto projector and D2Sbulbs yet. Have a look at the couplers coming from the D2S bulbs versus the ones in my images. If they match in specs and orientation, they would work. Assuming they are rated 35W too. Keep a note that this is a 35W kit.
Old 28th September 2019, 16:39   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_3306 View Post
However, when lights used in manual mode, while flashing the low beam cuts off showing only high beam unless you put on high beam which will lit up both low and high beam until moved to low beam.
A lot of vehicles do this. For dual barrel headlamps, by reducing foreground lighting, your distance vision is drastically improved. High beams used when driving fast, will keep your eye focussed where it should be and helps you notice obstacles before its too late. There are a lot of arguments for and against this. I'm just stating the original intent. As for regular headlamps, a lot of dual filament bulbs cannot handle both filaments being lit together (H4).

Quote:
I was wondering how HID works in manual mode since it may take some time to get fully lit after you flash the lights. Is this so ?

Experts your view please. This is the reason I am yet to try HID on my XUV.
Unless this is a function that can be deactivated at the ECU, you'll need to wire in a separate harness that lets you control your low beam separately. HID lamps do not take well to flashing.
Old 3rd October 2019, 09:36   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Managed to find a proper upright wall in a dark parking finally. Here are a couple of shots of the beam cut-off after the bulbs were properly set in the holder. The bleed / glare seen in previously posted pictures is no longer there and its quite sharp now. Illumination was anyway good already & continues. Distance is about 3-4 feet from wall.

Image with default auto exposure
DIY - Tata Nexon XZ+ - Osram 35W HID conversion kit-normalexposurebeam.jpg

Image with reduced exposure
DIY - Tata Nexon XZ+ - Osram 35W HID conversion kit-reducedexposurebeam.jpg
Reinhard is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th October 2019, 23:18   #28
BHPian

Hi Reinhard, just wanted to know if Phillips is a viable option for the bulbs apart from Osram, would you recommend similar specifications from Phillips? I’m also thinking of getting my Nexon’s bulbs changed.

Also, are the headlights still working well? I hope you haven’t encountered any hitches since the fitment.
Old 23rd October 2019, 14:19   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilthegunner View Post
Hi Reinhard, just wanted to know if Phillips is a viable option for the bulbs apart from Osram, would you recommend similar specifications from Phillips? I’m also thinking of getting my Nexon’s bulbs changed.
Why not. Philips is equally good. If you can source an H7 conversion kit in a good price - its absolutely fine. I found Osram at a very good deal so went with it. In fact - you can really install ANY HID conversion kit in the same way as per my DIY guide. Brand hardly would make a difference. Even kits from AliExpress would follow the same process. There are some good IPHCAR & CrystalEye kits available even with 55W power. Those might be worth a try too. Come with 1 year warranty. I have ordered one such kit with projectors for fog lamp conversion. Its in shipment from Delhi and will be installing once it reaches. Hopefully in a week's time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilthegunner View Post
Also, are the headlights still working well? I hope you haven’t encountered any hitches since the fitment.
Flawless. Pune has been experiencing very heavy daily rain since last 2 months in the evening (cloudbursts pretty much!). I have extensively used these in rain & the difference is easily evident. During evening / night rains, on first few occasions I was getting frustrated at people driving very erratic & slow on the highway causing me a lot of trouble.

On the 3rd day when driving in same conditions I realized that I was able to see everything so well & was able to speed on easily while they were pretty much all driving with 0 visibility & scared of potholes & unmarked road edges! So much is the difference .
Reinhard is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2019, 14:30   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Flawless. Pune has been experiencing very heavy daily rain since last 2 months in the evening (cloudbursts pretty much!). I have extensively used these in rain & the difference is easily evident. During evening / night rains, on first few occasions I was getting frustrated at people driving very erratic & slow on the highway causing me a lot of trouble.

On the 3rd day when driving in same conditions I realized that I was able to see everything so well & was able to speed on easily while they were pretty much all driving with 0 visibility & scared of potholes & unmarked road edges! So much is the difference .
This is what I wanted to know from you and you pretty much echo what my friend experienced in his Ciaz including myself.

There is no doubt that this upgrade is the most sensible and a clean one if anyone is looking to improve their OE Lighting that has Halogen Projectors. I feel the product is worth the money spent!
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks