Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2019, 10:02   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: DIY - Tata Nexon XZ+ - Osram 35W HID conversion kit

One tip - In case you notice slight vibrations at beam edges.

The Nexon's (and many other cars') headlamp dust caps are rubber/PU based. They are soft & foldable. If the wires coming out from the bulbs are not secured very tight & strong behind the headlamp, the weight of the wires, igniter etc - causes them to vibrate when the car goes over bumps or rough road. Since the dust-cap is soft - these vibrations get transferred to the bulb & holder inside the projector & you might see the beam slightly vibrating at edges.

This will be unnoticeable to many - but can be a bit annoying to those who do notice it. No safety issue as the vibrations are minuscule.

Fix is simple - just ensure the wires and igniter are very well secured in as many places as possible. This ensures no actual vibrations get transferred upto the dust-caps and bulbs. If you follow the way I have secured the wiring - you'll be good. I got a little vibration once on the LHS - added one more zip tag under the headlamp & its gone now.
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2019, 16:43   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
One tip - In case you notice slight vibrations at beam edges.

The Nexon's (and many other cars') headlamp dust caps are rubber/PU based. They are soft & foldable. If the wires coming out from the bulbs are not secured very tight & strong behind the headlamp, the weight of the wires, igniter etc - causes them to vibrate when the car goes over bumps or rough road. Since the dust-cap is soft - these vibrations get transferred to the bulb & holder inside the projector & you might see the beam slightly vibrating at edges.

This will be unnoticeable to many - but can be a bit annoying to those who do notice it. No safety issue as the vibrations are minuscule.

Fix is simple - just ensure the wires and igniter are very well secured in as many places as possible. This ensures no actual vibrations get transferred upto the dust-caps and bulbs. If you follow the way I have secured the wiring - you'll be good. I got a little vibration once on the LHS - added one more zip tag under the headlamp & its gone now.
Your DIY Headlight upgrade has tempted me to go ahead with OSRAM HID Conversion KIT for my Ciaz. befoe going ahead with the purchase from Amazon, could you please confirm if the item received from Amazon if Genuine or Counterfeit by doing a verification check on OSRAM Website.
Old 13th November 2019, 20:02   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurudatta Nayak View Post
Your DIY Headlight upgrade has tempted me to go ahead with OSRAM HID Conversion KIT for my Ciaz. befoe going ahead with the purchase from Amazon, could you please confirm if the item received from Amazon if Genuine or Counterfeit by doing a verification check on OSRAM Website.
Hello Gurudatta, no I didn't check at all. I'm in fact fine even if its a counterfeit considering how cheap it is on pocket. I dont think it appears on Osram website, but thats quite usual with these companies. Not all products are always listed or updated to current catalogue.

It has been known to work well in Ciaz. It fact it was bhpian Parag's DIY in Ciaz that got me going!
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2019, 10:46   #34
BHPian

@reinhard, I have a Nexon Kraz, so no projectors here. I found the throw to be too short so will try to get it fixed during my first service (also the high beam is falling where the low beam should be, yes I did check the headlight leveling ), would you recommend HID for low beam for reflector headlights? If not, whats the alternative?
gharika is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2019, 10:53   #35
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gharika View Post
I found the throw to be too short so will try to get it fixed during my first service (also the high beam is falling where the low beam should be, yes I did check the headlight levelling).
If you can find a wall (preferably white) and can park the car 25ft away, you can align the headlights yourself. All you need is a star screwdriver and an insulation tape/marker. Use this image as reference and align the headlights.

DIY - Tata Nexon XZ+ - Osram 35W HID conversion kit-fb_img_1518759094352.jpg

Quote:
would you recommend HID for the low beam for reflector headlights? If not, what's the alternative?
Please don't try this as the light output will be less and glare would be more. You can try getting a slightly more powerful bulb with a wiring harness.
a4anurag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th December 2019, 14:20   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
@reinhard, I have a Nexon Kraz, so no projectors here. I found the throw to be too short so will try to get it fixed during my first service (also the high beam is falling where the low beam should be, yes I did check the headlight leveling ), would you recommend HID for low beam for reflector headlights? If not, whats the alternative?
Use the white dip-head type plastic screws besides the headlamp's black housing to adjust the actual beam manually. 2 screws per headlamp. One for horizontal & the other for vertical adjustment.

No - Never install HIDs in reflector headlamps. Its actually illegal. And the light all gets scattered. It blinds oncoming traffic also.

For Kraz (XM basically) the best bet is to install HID projector fog lights. Excellent results & very economical. Generally around 7k including installation.

Have a look at the DIY for that on my thread here -
Link - TBHP DIY thread (Tata Nexon DIY: HID Bi-Xenon projector foglamps installation)

I'll very much suggest you go for this. Any other bulb upgrades within same reflector headlamps will not give you the light you are looking for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
If you can find a wall (preferably white) and can park the car 25ft away, you can align the headlights yourself. All you need is a star screwdriver and an insulation tape/marker. Use this image as reference and align the headlights.
One tip about the image - its an image for LHD cars. The beam cut-offs in the picture are opposite of how they should look for RHD cars like our's. I'm sure you know this & used the image for representation. I'm clarifying for the newbies who might just be entering the world of auto lighting.
Old 9th December 2019, 16:09   #37
AZT
BHPian

Quote:
Credits first!
=====
e all wiring is "exclusively" coloured as well as socket coupled & you can't connect them incorrectly anyway.[/list]

Thanks for this write up. I have a Tigor and wanted to ask if this would be compatible, the amazon link mentions Zest as compatible but no mention of Tigor.
AZT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2019, 18:43   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZT View Post
Thanks for this write up. I have a Tigor and wanted to ask if this would be compatible, the amazon link mentions Zest as compatible but no mention of Tigor.
If you've a Tigor with projector headlights then you'll need H11 conversion kit as that's what the Tigor uses in low beam.
shivamk11 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2019, 18:45   #39
BANNED

Quote:
I'm sure you know this & used the image for representation. I'm clarifying for the newbies who might just be entering the world of auto lighting.
Yes sir. Apologies for not writing that point in my post.

I used it for representative purpose.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2020, 09:06   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

So this mod came to a sudden & tragic end

The day before yesterday. IronHide - the Nexon - turned 1 on 8th August. Thought of taking him out for a spin to celebrate a bit. But opening bonnet (exactly 1 week from service) - found that rats had assaulted the engine bay! Seems the car-wash after service had washed away my rat repellent spray. (& I was a bit lazy, it had been 4 months since last application. I should have applied it again immediately after the service.).

Each side kit actually becomes a single circuit completely integrated with just 2 relay pins with wires remaining "open". (Those that go into the stock H7 socket for power.) But as you can see - there are countless disconnected wires, torn mesh looms, disconnected bulbs, open ended wires. The rats cut really clean through it all, on both sides! Not a single wire in that image is cut by me. I simply removed all zip ties, undid the mounting bolts & brought the kit home. Rats had done the hard work for me already.

DIY - Tata Nexon XZ+ - Osram 35W HID conversion kit-ratattack.jpg

It was as if the rat was hired on contract by Philips. It/they ate away absolutely EVERY wire that linked to anything to do with OSRAM. Each wire from the bulbs, ballasts, canbus adapter was individually cut up on both headlamps. And so were ALL the wires on the LHS main headlamp stock harness! Had to repair the master coupler also. (More on that in the Nexon ownership thread separately.)

The kit is still completely salvageable. Nothing that some solders, wire sleeves can't fix. But I'm a bit too occupied to go through it all & a bit frustrated too. Thats quite a bit of effort I had spent in installation that has all come to naught. So I have now reinstalled the stock Osram 55W halogens that came with the car & safely stored away the ravaged Osram HID kit at home.

Closed all the wiring holes in the dust caps with silicone sealant from both inside & outside to ensure full dust insulation.

DIY - Tata Nexon XZ+ - Osram 35W HID conversion kit-dustcapssealed.jpeg

Last edited by Reinhard : 10th August 2020 at 09:09.
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2020, 11:47   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
[.)

The kit is still completely salvageable. Nothing that some solders, wire sleeves can't fix.
I suggest you should not try to reconnect these wires, especially on the high voltage side. The slightest of current leak will cause a bigger tragedy and mind that the HV section isnt fused either. It will be a fire hazard. Just dispose the stuff IMO.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2020, 12:11   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I suggest you should not try to reconnect these wires, especially on the high voltage side. The slightest of current leak will cause a bigger tragedy and mind that the HV section isnt fused either. It will be a fire hazard. Just dispose the stuff IMO.
Yes you are right - won't be reinstalling it. Already sealed the caps & reinstalled stock halogens. Have kept the stuff still with me since the couplers and connectors are good, can be used elsewhere for some other projects where needed. Water-proof sealed couplers are always handy. The ballasts are fine & their wiring is not touched either. So can be a handy replacement in case someone needs in future.
Old 6th June 2021, 15:04   #43
BHPian

Just ordered the Osram Premium HID H7 4200k kit off amazon for my 2019 Nexon XZA+. I was planning to take it to a mechanic/car accessory shop but after reading this thread, I am fairly confident I will be able to do a DIY.

Special thanks to Reinhard for the detailed post Hoping to turn my Nexon's power consuming candles into headlights soon
thesidmania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2021, 12:04   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesidmania View Post
Just ordered the Osram Premium HID H7 4200k kit off amazon for my 2019 Nexon XZA+. I was planning to take it to a mechanic/car accessory shop but after reading this thread, I am fairly confident I will be able to do a DIY.
Special thanks to Reinhard for the detailed post. Hoping to turn my Nexon's power consuming candles into headlights soon
Good luck! Glad that you found the thread useful. You can PM me in case you get stuck somewhere (nearly impossible) and need any help anywhere. Cheers!
As a quick confirmation - first just hook the lights up with the connectors and ballasts, and test that they are working. Afterwards proceed to dust-cap cutting and actual final installation.
Old 1st October 2021, 14:15   #45
BHPian

Thanks for the amazing write up and attention to detail. I am planning to follow your footsteps and install the same bulb in my 2018 Ecosport low beam projector. However I got a bit confused after seeing the product images in Amazon.
Apparently there is a plastic portion behind the bulb's mounting point, which is not visible in your DIY images. Is there such a part in the actual product. If it is there, i am afraid I wont be able to close the dust cap after the installation of the bulb.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY - Tata Nexon XZ+ - Osram 35W HID conversion kit-screenshot_20211001135849_amazon.jpg  

SYAM is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks