Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2024, 21:48   #46
BHPian

Re: DIY: Get Android Auto in any Car/Bike for Free (or under 10k)

Please note that the ambient air temperature and the temperature of an object exposed to direct sunlight in that same atmosphere can be very different.

Your temperature probe is away from direct sunlight so would be measuring a temperature that can potentially be a LOT (say by over 5-15 degrees) different than the top of the dashboard thats exposed to direct sunlight for a long time.

Just something to keep in mind during hot summer dries I suppose...
Old 24th May 2024, 22:42   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmission View Post
Your temperature probe is away from direct sunlight so would be measuring a temperature that can potentially be a LOT (say by over 5-15 degrees) different than the top of the dashboard thats exposed to direct sunlight for a long time.
That photo was taken for convenient comparison with the ambient temperature showing in the speedometer. I had also placed the temperature meter just below the Tab on the dashboard, for a prolonged period of time (15 minutes plus) and did not find the huge deviance you are talking about. The temperature, there too, was hovering around the 25~26 degree mark in the air conditioned car. Also maybe the tab placement in my setup is quite away from the windshield and just above the AC vents, with no direct contact with the dashboard, that it remains so cool and worked with zero issues from morning to night, in this extreme heat. Just for your information.

I also find this lack of trust, from some members, quite amusing, as this is the first time in my life that I am using a Tab and am quite surprised with it's ease of use and am trying to post as unbiased a opinion as possible for my setup. Perhaps people really have had very bad experience with Tabs in the past, maybe due to improper placement in the vehicle or having left it in the sun for too long in a parked car, that it is difficult for them to believe that this solution can really work with proper placement and usage.

Cheers...

Last edited by dkaile : 24th May 2024 at 22:55.
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2024, 23:20   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post

I also find this lack of trust, from some members, quite amusing, as this is the first time in my life that I am using a Tab and am quite surprised with it's ease of use and am trying to post as unbiased a opinion as possible for my setup.
You shouldn't assume nobody has experience with these things though

I just mentioned since I have had some (okay a bit more than some) experience with something similar in the past - with cameras (mostly turned off, sometimes turned on) and knowing how hot their surface gets (just like the dashboard surface) can get even when not in use after a couple of hours in the sun, and how that heat does seep into the batteries inside them with time.

I have seen this effect be very noticeable after 2-3 hours of driving under the hot sun in my go pros (black), phones (silver, black), my dashcam (black) and finally on my own hands and legs when the sun is on them while the AC is at the lowest settings and its chilly inside... So much so that I now occasionally blast air via the front windscreen defogger outlets onto them to keep them cool when in active use (only the go pros need that though, and they are known to get hot under use even outside of a car to be honest).

Parking under the hot sun - even for a quick 30 min lunch break - is a whole another can of worms.

I think most phones (and probably tablets too) have temperature sensors inside them (developer options > Power monitoring for example) that you can also use to get a temperature measurement from inside the device (which again wont be the peak temperature, but it may be a good data point for you)

Anyways, all is well if you are happy with the setup. Stay safe

Last edited by Transmission : 24th May 2024 at 23:21.
Old 24th May 2024, 23:34   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmission View Post
You shouldn't assume nobody has experience with these things though :
Absolutely not buddy. I am also trying this for the first time in my life and learning as I am going along from feedback such as yours. So I am now a little perplexed, as to why I have had a trouble free experience so far, if what you and some others have tried to point out about the heat. Maybe it's early days for me. Or maybe my 12 year old Superb has extra high quality UV cut glass that it is keeping the interiors so cool, or the soft rubberized dashboard top has very little heat absorbing qualities. Or my Tab is mounted at least 18 inches away from the windshield mount. Or it's just above the AC vents keeping the Tab cool. Even the aluminum back of the Tab was quite cool even after 2~3 hours of usage. Or I haven't left my tab in a parked car under direct sunlight and never will.

So, I too am learning, please do not get me wrong.

Cheers...

Last edited by dkaile : 24th May 2024 at 23:41.
Old 25th May 2024, 23:20   #50
BHPian

No worries

I think it might have something to do with the positioning of the tab you have - maybe its got just enough airflow to keep it cool (all my issues were when there was no airflow on the device) - or it could also be the glass as you surmise.

If your tab is cool to the touch after a couple of hours of usage in the sun, then I dont think anything I said earlier holds since its clearly not getting heated up in your case...
Transmission is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2024, 10:33   #51
BHPian

So got the tab hooked up with suction cup type holder. The suction is strong and good enough to hold the 9" tab in place
DIY: Get Android Auto in any Car/Bike for Free (or under 10k)-img_20240526_100644.jpg

Fixed the tab to the rectangular magnetic holder with the given metal plate slid between the tab and the transparent cover of the tab

Tab attached and Android auto working in map and music windows
DIY: Get Android Auto in any Car/Bike for Free (or under 10k)-img_20240526_100506.jpg
DIY: Get Android Auto in any Car/Bike for Free (or under 10k)-img_20240526_100943.jpg

This set up is strictly for the OCD people who remember that the tab is in harsh sun and take it up along with them when exiting the car as much as possible or put it in the glove box

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
DIY: Get Android Auto in any Car/Bike for Free (or under 10k)-img_20240526_100751.jpg  

Last edited by Self Driven : 26th May 2024 at 10:34.
Self Driven is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th May 2024, 21:26   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
I also find this lack of trust, from some members, quite amusing, as this is the first time in my life that I am using a Tab and am quite surprised with it's ease of use and am trying to post as unbiased a opinion as possible for my setup. Perhaps people really have had very bad experience with Tabs in the past, maybe due to improper placement in the vehicle or having left it in the sun for too long in a parked car, that it is difficult for them to believe that this solution can really work with proper placement and usage.
Cheers...
I can see how this could become handy in many situations. But I have left my car in open area way too many times - in hospitals , at church, shoping markets. I've had phone overheating and turning off, air freshener melting into dashboard etc😅. Also carrying around a tab is too much of a hassle for me.
Old 27th May 2024, 21:50   #53
BHPian

My 8" tab setup too working fine, tried the headunit reloaded app again after seeing you guys and its working very well for wireless Android auto connectivity.

Also I'm having the carlink kit for apple carplay, which works seamless too.
DIY: Get Android Auto in any Car/Bike for Free (or under 10k)-pxl_20240526_100032203.jpg

DIY: Get Android Auto in any Car/Bike for Free (or under 10k)-pxl_20240526_095833944.jpg

Here is a short video on the setup :
TorqueIndia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2024, 12:24   #54
BHPian

I was thinking of sharing same post, I have been using Samsung A8 tab in my Bolero Neo. (Purchased it from Dubai for 8000 INR)

I was not in favor of changing the stock system because I like the stock look (Personal Preference). So I decided to get a tab with sim slot and use it as infotainment system.

I used 2 magnetic mounts above the stock screen which looks neat when Tab is not attached to the dash, and I have the metal plates pasted on the tablet cover on top left and right side.

DIY: Get Android Auto in any Car/Bike for Free (or under 10k)-whatsapp-image-20240523-2.28.09-pm.jpeg

Magnet Mounts perform fantastic and has good hold, it has not given me any problem till now, on road as well as off the road.
Link: https://amzn.in/d/4F8lACy

I wanted to use the built in speakers, mic and steering mounted controls for my phone so I connect the phone to the stock system via bluetooth so I can answer the calls on the go.

I have a Pagaria bluetooth adapter for my tab which draws power from built-in USB port and is connected to the system via AUX cable, so I keep AUX source selected.
Link: https://amzn.in/d/eWLWLI6

This setup looks neat and clean and gives me a freedom of even sending a tab to back seat if my co-passengers want to take control of the playlist.

DIY: Get Android Auto in any Car/Bike for Free (or under 10k)-whatsapp-image-20240523-2.28.09-pm-1.jpeg

Pros:
1- Gives me full freedom of using a tab instead of limited functionalities.
2- Very handy to use and can be easily passed on to the passengers at back seat.
3- With split screen I can use 2 applications e.g Youtube music, Google Maps.
4- Looks cool, and everyone likes the idea.
5- Stock look is maintained.
6- I can still use my phone with the built in system.

Cons:
1- Can not use the steering mounted controls to skip or forward the tracks.
2- Needs charging so the wire looks messy when it is charging, but I will be buying something like : https://amzn.in/d/9qE0b9L to solve the problem.
3- Being basic tab, the speed is SO-SO and not very good, but it is manageable because I don't expect multitasking on it.
4- No Apple Carplay. I would like to ask if there is a way I can use Apple Carplay on android tab?
5- Extra money spent on Bluetooth adapter and magnet mounts.
6- Need to have a data pack of it's own or hotspot

I know there are a list of cons, however, I am still happy with the setup and I would recommend it to whoever is interested.

Last edited by BikerKeeda : 28th May 2024 at 12:38. Reason: Spelling mistakes
BikerKeeda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2024, 14:46   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerKeeda View Post
Cons:
1- Can not use the steering mounted controls to skip or forward the tracks.
4- No Apple Carplay. I would like to ask if there is a way I can use Apple Carplay on android tab?
6- Need to have a data pack of it's own or hotspot
Since, from what I infer from your post, your car already has bluetooth and steering controls, then why are you using the tab as a standalone with data pack, when you can just connect it to your main phone via wifi Hotspot (no need for any sim on your tab) and get full functionality, like I have been doing. You will also use up less battery without data and your tab will last a full day without charging. And then you will also get full steering control on android auto, and music and calls streaming through your car's bluetooth to your speakers. Also for apple carplay, I have listed a solution a few posts back and also the same solution is being used by TeamBhp member torqueindia's recent post. Kindly go through them.

Cheers...

Last edited by dkaile : 28th May 2024 at 14:48.
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks