Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2008, 16:24   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
It was very easy to open the console. Only four to six screws in the speedo console if i remember well and no soldering, just push the bulbs in the sockets.

I'll post pics over the weekends with positions of the screws.

The lights where a little too bright at night and i had to take a black marker and put spots on the bulbs to dim them. I think, i'll change the bulbs again and try to attach a dimmer so in the late evenings they can be full intensity and i can reduce them to min in darkness.
That'll be very helpful since I plan to do a DIY for this myself. What bulbs were used? And how many?
Old 9th December 2008, 16:29   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitahuja View Post
That'll be very helpful since I plan to do a DIY for this myself. What bulbs were used? And how many?
I frankly don't remember the amount of bulbs. had done it 2 years ago when i wanted the orange BMW look. I think 6 in the speedo. I'll reopen and check. Hardly takes 10-15 minutes. Over the weekend though..

the bulbs were regular dashboard bulbs used in the orange lights of the NHC.

I think costs around Rs.3 per bulb
Old 9th December 2008, 16:37   #18
Senior - BHPian

Nice work badboyscad, it is tempting me to change lights of my 800 from dull green to white or orange.

Could you tell me where I get orange or white LED? Would White LED will give sufficient illumination to the speedo?

Blue LED's has very good illumination but I like Orange or White.
Old 9th December 2008, 17:39   #19
Team-BHP Support

Excellent work once again, BBCad! Seeing you so successful at this, really makes me wanna go and try out this on my car.

Between, i didnt know the Scorpio came with a frontlit display for the speedo console.
Old 9th December 2008, 19:06   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Excellent work once again, BBCad! Seeing you so successful at this, really makes me wanna go and try out this on my car.

Between, i didnt know the Scorpio came with a frontlit display for the speedo console.
i think the speedo light change process might be VERY similar for the ford ikon too because the speedo unit of the 2003 scorpio was also made by ford. it has ford logo embedded in some places.
Old 9th December 2008, 19:39   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboyscad View Post
i think the speedo light change process might be VERY similar for the ford ikon too because the speedo unit of the 2003 scorpio was also made by ford. it has ford logo embedded in some places.
Again, thats news for me! How much we get to learn daily.
Between the process is quite similar. Here's an attempt by bugboy.

Ford_Ikon
Old 9th December 2008, 21:42   #22
BANNED

kool.. hope you change the lights on all the cars and help changing other on their car.
anyways all the best in advance for next car's DIY
Old 9th December 2008, 21:51   #23
Senior - BHPian

hi, decided to try and make the whole instrument cluster blue.i ve started with the switches.

The A/C switch:
DIY - Blue instrument cluster & parking lights for Scorpio (2003 model, 1st gen)-09122008457.jpg

Stock bulb(in the twist lock holder) with green cap removed from the switch:
DIY - Blue instrument cluster & parking lights for Scorpio (2003 model, 1st gen)-09122008458.jpg

The twist lock holder without the bulb:
DIY - Blue instrument cluster & parking lights for Scorpio (2003 model, 1st gen)-09122008459.jpg

Same process(as for the speedo) was repeated to fit the LEDs to the holders and voila.!
DIY - Blue instrument cluster & parking lights for Scorpio (2003 model, 1st gen)-09122008460.jpg
DIY - Blue instrument cluster & parking lights for Scorpio (2003 model, 1st gen)-09122008464.jpg

Will continue to change remaining green lights to blue.
Old 9th December 2008, 23:00   #24
SYJ
BHPian

Man! that looks awesome, will have to try this on my scorpio sometime!!!
Old 10th December 2008, 08:46   #25
Senior - BHPian

bbs, once you change all the interior lights, show them to M&M guys and tell them that they can customize the lighting to customer's liking and car's color!!

Good job done!!
Old 11th December 2008, 02:01   #26
Senior - BHPian

Update:

i tried to remove the A/C control console but ended up unsuccessful. the A/C console is fixed from the inside such that you cant pull it out, instead you have to remove the dashboard itself to remove the console. Moreover the A/C control console is partially mechanical(cables are connected to the center rotary control, so i didnt want to mess with it.

red circles are where the screws go in.
DIY - Blue instrument cluster & parking lights for Scorpio (2003 model, 1st gen)-11.jpg

Then i found out that one of the rear numberplate lights was not working so decided to turn them blue.

The numberplate light:
DIY - Blue instrument cluster & parking lights for Scorpio (2003 model, 1st gen)-22.jpg

The holder unit (notice the amount of oily dust):
DIY - Blue instrument cluster & parking lights for Scorpio (2003 model, 1st gen)-33.jpg
DIY - Blue instrument cluster & parking lights for Scorpio (2003 model, 1st gen)-44.jpg
DIY - Blue instrument cluster & parking lights for Scorpio (2003 model, 1st gen)-55.jpg

Cleaned with paint thinner:
DIY - Blue instrument cluster & parking lights for Scorpio (2003 model, 1st gen)-66.jpg
DIY - Blue instrument cluster & parking lights for Scorpio (2003 model, 1st gen)-77.jpg

The LED fixing procedure was the same as in the alto(note: i covered the numberplate with a piece of tissue paper):
DIY - Blue instrument cluster & parking lights for Scorpio (2003 model, 1st gen)-11122008475.jpg
DIY - Blue instrument cluster & parking lights for Scorpio (2003 model, 1st gen)-11122008476.jpg

Last edited by badboyscad : 11th December 2008 at 02:03.
Old 11th December 2008, 14:43   #27
BHPian

BBS that's a lot of DIY

You name should read bluebadboyscad!

@Tejas: Eagerly waiting for the OHC DIY pictures, hopefully very early Saturday since I really want to do this. Does anyone know where can I get the LED/bulbs in Delhi? (bright ones)
Old 11th December 2008, 15:04   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitahuja View Post
BBS that's a lot of DIY

You name should read bluebadboyscad!

@Tejas: Eagerly waiting for the OHC DIY pictures, hopefully very early Saturday since I really want to do this. Does anyone know where can I get the LED/bulbs in Delhi? (bright ones)
i will try to click pictures tonight itself.
Don't get bright ones, i had installed them and they really interfere with night driving and gets very distracting. i had to darken mine with a black marker.
Use the orange ones used in the NHC.

I'm planning to change to white lights now. what say should i? or stick to the orange?
Old 11th December 2008, 20:44   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
i will try to click pictures tonight itself.
Don't get bright ones, i had installed them and they really interfere with night driving and gets very distracting. i had to darken mine with a black marker.
Use the orange ones used in the NHC.

I'm planning to change to white lights now. what say should i? or stick to the orange?

Definately white, that's exactly what I plan to do as well. A tinge of blue/red should be nice and add a bit colour.
Since you say there are 6 bulbs used, maybe we can mix like 5 white bulbs and 1 blue bulb at a certain location, which makes it look cool

Sorry BBS for hijacking this thread.
Old 11th December 2008, 21:17   #30
BHPian

so did you try it in the center console as well?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks