Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2008, 00:28   #1
Senior - BHPian

DIY - Blue instrument cluster & parking lights for Scorpio (2003 model, 1st gen)

I did a quickie DIY this evening. This DIY is relatively much easier than that of the alto.

Components:
2 5mm blue LED's
2 470 Ohms resistors

Tools used:
Soldering iron
file & blade
cutter

Unscrew the screws found in the places marked by the blue circles to open the bottom panel and the screw found in the place marked by red circle to remove the upper panel(which covers the speedometer console):
DIY - Blue instrument cluster & parking lights for Scorpio (2003 model, 1st gen)-2.jpg

Unscrew the screws found in the places marked by red circles to remove the speedometer console. Blue circles are the twist-lock bulb holders with stock bulbs.
DIY - Blue instrument cluster & parking lights for Scorpio (2003 model, 1st gen)-1.jpg

The part marked by blue is a box which holds the bulbs, push it upwards and pull to remove it.
DIY - Blue instrument cluster & parking lights for Scorpio (2003 model, 1st gen)-08122008403.jpg

This pic shows the top view of the box. remove the paper circuit(blue thingy) before removing the box.
DIY - Blue instrument cluster & parking lights for Scorpio (2003 model, 1st gen)-08122008400.jpg

The box, removed:
DIY - Blue instrument cluster & parking lights for Scorpio (2003 model, 1st gen)-08122008405.jpg

Inside facing side of the box (notice the transparent green plastic thingy):
DIY - Blue instrument cluster & parking lights for Scorpio (2003 model, 1st gen)-08122008409.jpg

Box disassembled:
DIY - Blue instrument cluster & parking lights for Scorpio (2003 model, 1st gen)-3.jpg

Box reassembled without the green plastic thingy:
DIY - Blue instrument cluster & parking lights for Scorpio (2003 model, 1st gen)-4.jpg

The LED (filed to lose its glossiness) soldered with the resistor and inserted into the twist-lock holder:
DIY - Blue instrument cluster & parking lights for Scorpio (2003 model, 1st gen)-08122008440.jpg

The box(with LEDs) fixed to the console and the result is a Cool Blue speedometer:
DIY - Blue instrument cluster & parking lights for Scorpio (2003 model, 1st gen)-08122008443.jpg

Will post more pics tomorrow.

Last edited by badboyscad : 9th December 2008 at 00:32.
badboyscad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2008, 00:38   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice. You should also change lights in the centre console to blue to give it a uniform look.
Old 9th December 2008, 00:38   #3
BHPian

great job bbs!!!
looks real nice in the last pic. intensity of blue is uniform.
Old 9th December 2008, 00:45   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Nice. You should also change lights in the centre console to blue to give it a uniform look.
Will try that tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by white_vdi View Post
great job bbs!!!
looks real nice in the last pic. intensity of blue is uniform.
Here, the intensity of blue is uniform because light is projected from the front onto the whole dial of the speedometer (unlike from behind, in the alto).
Old 9th December 2008, 00:49   #5
BHPian

and why do you file the LED before installation?
Old 9th December 2008, 01:16   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by white_vdi View Post
and why do you file the LED before installation?

These are projector LEDs, normally(without filing) they emit only a beam of light in a straight line. When filed, they lose their projector characteristic and emit light in all directions like normal filament bulb.

DIY - Blue instrument cluster & parking lights for Scorpio (2003 model, 1st gen)-fil.jpg

PS: the idea of filing the LED was given by souljah. thanks to him, again.
Old 9th December 2008, 10:04   #7
BHPian

Nice DIY. Worth giving a try.
Speedo-console looks sporty now.
Great effort badboyscad!
Old 9th December 2008, 10:24   #8
Senior - BHPian

bbs, You are now declared as an 'inhouse DIY speedometer lighting expert'. Good job on this too. Blue speedo will go well with your car colour too! Have fun!!
Old 9th December 2008, 14:37   #9
Senior - BHPian

Nice work BBS. Tell me one thing - what colour is the original LED (or is it just a regular bulb)? If I remove just the green filter, what colour will the console light be? White?
Old 9th December 2008, 14:59   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
what colour is the original LED (or is it just a regular bulb)? If I remove just the green filter, what colour will the console light be? White?
The stock bulb (not LED) is just a normal filament one which emits yellow light. If you remove the green filter alone, then you ll get very bright yellow light.
Old 9th December 2008, 15:40   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
what colour is the original LED (or is it just a regular bulb)?
This is the stock lamp. It is used both in speedometer and parking lamp slots.

DIY - Blue instrument cluster & parking lights for Scorpio (2003 model, 1st gen)-blb.jpg
Old 9th December 2008, 15:44   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

so did you try it in the center console as well? it'll look good. I had once changed my OHC lights to orange in the speedo console and left the car center console yellow and it looked weird till i changed all lights to orange, even the ones in the power window buttons. Seriously give it a try.
Old 9th December 2008, 16:09   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
so did you try it in the center console as well? it'll look good. I had once changed my OHC lights to orange in the speedo console and left the car center console yellow and it looked weird till i changed all lights to orange, even the ones in the power window buttons. Seriously give it a try.
BBS: Good job, waiting for your DIY on the OHC now

Tejas, can you please post pics of the changed lights. Also, if you could give some details on the bulbs, how easy was it to open the console etc.

Last edited by ankitahuja : 9th December 2008 at 16:14.
Old 9th December 2008, 16:15   #14
BHPian

Awesome job BBS. Looks cool.
Old 9th December 2008, 16:16   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitahuja View Post
Tejas, can you please post pics of the changed lights. Also, if you could give some details on the bulbs, how easy was it to open the console etc.
It was very easy to open the console. Only four to six screws in the speedo console if i remember well and no soldering, just push the bulbs in the sockets.

I'll post pics over the weekends with positions of the screws.

The lights where a little too bright at night and i had to take a black marker and put spots on the bulbs to dim them. I think, i'll change the bulbs again and try to attach a dimmer so in the late evenings they can be full intensity and i can reduce them to min in darkness.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks