Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2012, 09:34   #481
BANNED

Re: Tools for a DIYer.

Anyone has done a hobby workshop setup in his own garage ?

I am trying to convert a garage space ( 19 x 10 feet ) in to a proper workshop setup ( excluding lathe & hydraulic press )

I do have fabrication machinery & other regular tools sets & work benches scattered all over my place , which I intend to put in one garage space .
Old 1st November 2012, 11:27   #482
BHPian

I consider few things to be indispensable in any DIY individuals in-car toolkit:

1. A Bosch GSR Prodrive or similar rechargeable and controllable screwdriver. The maximum non-productive time (in my humble opinion) is spent on opening and closing nuts. This tool makes a very easy job of the same. I have tried to attach a PIC of the same.

2. WD40, Loctite or similar Pidilite products, Electrical Tape, Generic Saw and such essentials

3. Ratchet sets as everyone who will ever work on an automobile must have (In my case compatible with the Bosch)

4. A new generation putty called Sugru ( www.sugru.com ) they do deliver to India.
Old 1st November 2012, 14:35   #483
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
A new generation putty called Sugru ( www.sugru.com ) they do deliver to India.
I have had it in mind to get some of this since I first heard of it, which may have been close to its launch. I'd order a quantity of it --- but it has a limited shelf life, something like 6 monhs (? I haven't looked at their site for a while) so I feel I should have some tasks lined up ready for it.

It does look impressive. I guess, when you have sugru, everything looks like a job for sugru!
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st November 2012, 14:45   #484
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I have had it in mind to get some of this since I first heard of it, which may have been close to its launch. I'd order a quantity of it --- but it has a limited shelf life, something like 6 monhs (? I haven't looked at their site for a while) so I feel I should have some tasks lined up ready for it.

It does look impressive. I guess, when you have sugru, everything looks like a job for sugru!
Thanks, I found out about the shelf life the hard way. Once opened, best to consume the entire lot, so am about to order some more, albeit smaller pouches. If forum rules permit, perhaps interested individuals can make a group and share the shipping charges. (Shipping to India is not free).
Old 1st November 2012, 18:43   #485
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

The site says shelf life of 6 months at room temperature and 18 months if kept in fridge! Thats pretty impressive! One doubt, the MSeal which we get , does it not do the same job as sugru?
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2012, 19:04   #486
Distinguished - BHPian

Doing most of maintenance/repair jobs myself. So I have quite a few tools.

A couple of tools, other than the usual, that are really useful if you want to work on cars:

- Invest in a proper jack and axle stands. I have a proper 2 tonnes jack, make sure you get a model that is able to get under low cars as well. Get the biggest/most sturdy axle stands you can get and always use them. Never crawl under your car when it's only resting on a jack, any jack.

- Easy bleed
not sure what you have available in the Indian market, but this is what I have:
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_255216

It will allow you to easily, single hand bleed brakes, or any hydraulic circuit for that matter, e.g. clutch

If you have a classic car, you might also have some pneumatic syste, For instance on my Mercedes W123 central locking is pneumatic. So I've got some pneumatic test tools as well.

- Multimeter
Invest in a good multimeter. You'll need it to trace any electrical fault

- OBD meter
If you have a more modern car, you might want to invest in a OBD meter. You can get fairly simple ones, see http://www.amazon.com/Autel-MaxiScan...2&keywords=obd

It will allow you to scan all generic OBD codes, some more fancy models will allow you to look at some live performance data.

I've got one of the handheld models but I've also got this one: http://www.autoenginuity.com

It gives me the same diagnostic capabilities as the main dealers. But it comes at a price. You buy separate model/type modules to add to the basic package.
Lots of performance (live) data as well.

- Invest in a set of these: http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...-moulding.html

You want to take the interior trim off, a few of these come in very handy..

My favourite shop in the USA was in fact harbor freight. Amazing collection of tools. Not the best quality, but still pretty decent. Spend a lot of time and some money there!

See http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle.html

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st November 2012, 20:06   #487
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
The site says shelf life of 6 months at room temperature and 18 months if kept in fridge!
Thanks. I think they must have updated that since I last looked. My understanding is that this is the use-by for an unopened pack. Once opened, that pouch must be used at once.

18 months is reasonable. Next time I think about it, I'll buy some.
Old 1st November 2012, 21:23   #488
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. I think they must have updated that since I last looked. My understanding is that this is the use-by for an unopened pack. Once opened, that pouch must be used at once.

18 months is reasonable. Next time I think about it, I'll buy some.
In the 8 mini pack one , each pack weighs 5g. I think 5g can be used at one go. Since each of the the 8 are individually packed ,it can be easily stored i feel!
Old 2nd November 2012, 00:31   #489
Distinguished - BHPian

Keep in the fridge, use 8 packs over eighteen months. 5g is probably fairly small. Yes, it sounds good.

Here's a good glue: Tuffix. The selling point of this glue is that it expands and is able to fill gaps in the work. The downside is that once the bottle is opened, it has to be used within a day or so, as it then goes hard.

I used it on a broken wooden umbrella handle. One could just shove the splintered pieces together, but who knows what is happening to the glue inside? Tuffix mad a firm and secure joint, maybe stronger than new. I did a couple of minor jobs with the bottle, but an important repair like that is actually worth a 50g bottle of glue even if the rest is wasted

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 2nd November 2012 at 00:36.
Old 20th November 2012, 18:31   #490
Distinguished - BHPian

When I was making jewellery as a hobby, I got used to using a bench peg. It is an incredibly useful thing. The V-shape is used to support small parts being drilled, cut, or sawn, and the edges generally used as support when filing, etc.

Some time back, during a day-long power cut, one of the things I did after my PC UPS battery was finished, was to mark out a piece of ply I had lying around. This last weekend (even without a power cut!) I got the round-to-it and made my portable bench peg...

Tools for a DIYer-peg1.jpg

The G Clamp is one that I use for clamping a piece of wood to the table anyway

Tools for a DIYer-peg2.jpg

Cutting the hole for the clamp means it is not in the way on one side

Tools for a DIYer-peg3.jpg

The top part of the clamp is also a steel surface for use as a light-work anvil!

Refinements: it should be thinner at the front edge, but this is rough ply, and I think it would splinter if I tried to taper it. If made in a piece of solid wood by a person with chisel skills, the top part of the clamp could be sunk in to give a level surface. Not sure I could do that, especially in plywood. However, if this was needed to cut out shapes in anything other than very small sheet material, that would be necessary.

For regular jobs, one can cut notches, grooves, etc, to help support the work you are doing. It gets to be like a third hand

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 20th November 2012 at 18:35.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th March 2013, 12:21   #491
Senior - BHPian

Bosch is running a promo for its drill kits in Bangalore for the Holi. Following is the offer on its products.
Note mods: This is for the benefit of the members and not a sales promo. If you think otherwise, please delete the post.
Attached Thumbnails
Tools for a DIYer-holi_offer.jpg  

unk9ja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th March 2013, 12:31   #492
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
Bosch is running a promo for its drill kits in Bangalore for the Holi. Following is the offer on its products.
Note mods: This is for the benefit of the members and not a sales promo. If you think otherwise, please delete the post.

Nice ,I called them up , the address is go down after Dairy circle towards those granite and marble shops , there you get mosque , just further down you have it it seems .

Time to pick up that Angle grinder .
Old 12th March 2013, 18:40   #493
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Time to pick up that Angle grinder
Then it must be time to pick up the eye protection goggles, making sure that they are proper pro ones that can withstand impact.

Never, ever even plug the thing in without wearing them first. Not even for a five-second job. This is dangerous tool.

Happy and safe grinding
Old 17th March 2013, 09:00   #494
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
Nice ,I called them up , the address is go down after Dairy circle towards those granite and marble shops , there you get mosque , just further down you have it it seems .

Time to pick up that Angle grinder .
This shop is opposite to Bosch gate no. 2 on the Bannerghatta road. Parking is a bit of bother though in this stretch.
Old 17th March 2013, 20:00   #495
Distinguished - BHPian

Any place in bangalore where i can get to see and feel the swiss victrorinox?. I am planning to buy one which has some 40 odd attachments.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks