Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2010, 17:02   #361
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
The real problem is working with diesel engines ( oil , old ), there I use some kerosine before surf .
Sir no need to use Kerosene; simply use any of the dish washing gel or liquid & they'll work wonders. Nothing can escape including Diesel or even hard grease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Pity about the Swarfega. Wonderful stuff: the dirt...had a soft spot.
Let me try inquiring about this product or its equivalent somewhere at Ambattur Industrial Estate

What about my original question? Is there any such gloves?

Last edited by aargee : 16th November 2010 at 17:04.
Old 16th November 2010, 17:13   #362
Senior - BHPian

Aargee, you can try surgical gloves when changing oil and stuff. Cheap and disposable. For regular work, I use mechanix gloves. Bought from ebay/amazon (don't remember).
Old 16th November 2010, 17:30   #363
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Aargee, you can try surgical gloves...mechanix gloves.
Whoa!!! Wifey was suggesting to buy the surgical gloves; we saw it sometimes during last week, not sure where. So I guess, there's no such gloves that protects from all these elements & I've to switch between them.

Using regular gloves will only harm more as prolonged usage will continue the oil & grease to seep inside & only to smell rotten. In that case, I'll better grease my hands & wash them off.

OT - I'm even more surprised because, ppl belonging to same place think alike
Old 16th November 2010, 17:39   #364
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Using regular gloves will only harm more as prolonged usage will continue the oil & grease to seep inside & only to smell rotten. In that case, I'll better grease my hands & wash them off.

OT - I'm even more surprised because, ppl belonging to same place think alike
That was a good one regarding ppl from same place. But I got the idea from shows like American chopper. Although they don't use surgical gloves, something similar.

The regular work gloves wont smell rotten if you wash them
Old 17th November 2010, 10:59   #365
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... are there any mechanic gloves that are resistance to grease & oil so that I can still work on chains, bearings etc without the grease & oil being passed on to my hands? ...
Look for workman's or gardening gloves in leather. Leather is impervious to grease and oil, and at a pinch you can keep it clean (if the sight of oily / greasy gloves is repulsive ) by washing the gloves. These protect the knuckles too from the inevitable bumps, nicks and cuts of motorcycle maintenance.

The heavy duty ones are all-leather, some stiff and some very pliable. There are lighter duty ones with leather covering palm and fingers, with a knit material covering the rest of the hand and wrists for a closer fit. One or the other kind is available in (modern) supermarkets in the DIY section.

Last edited by DerAlte : 17th November 2010 at 11:01.
Old 17th November 2010, 12:59   #366
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
These protect the knuckles too from the inevitable bumps, nicks and cuts of motorcycle maintenance.
Sounds perfect; anyway these aren't priority, but more than perfect to have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
The heavy duty ones are all-leather,...is available in (modern) supermarkets in the DIY section.
Sir, do we get these in More or Reliance fresh kind of supermarkets? Otherwise, any pic of the gloves or its equivalent is appreciated; I can hunt for them.

But leather cannot withstand against water right? So how about cleaning the gloves? Each wash would rotten the gloves further isn't it?
Old 17th November 2010, 13:11   #367
Team-BHP Support

I have 8 stitches on my middle finger, right hand.
Slipped when removing the engine oil drain nut on my old HH Splendour.

My Dad got me these gloves and got me to wear them whenever I work on my bike.

The dots are rubber. The material is cotton. Got this picture by googling for cotton work gloves. Mine were similar to this.
Tools for a DIYer-cottonworkgloveswrubbergripdotsblankgoodsszsp170746.jpg

I don't wear gloves when working on my bike now.
Don't like wearing them
Old 17th November 2010, 13:22   #368
Senior - BHPian

@BBlost - I like this, but you see the problem of grease & oil getting into the hands, especially when the material is made out of...COTTON!!!

Leather is good choice, but as I stated above, washing would be a big time issue & the rotting smell when use for prolonged periods. Some kind of mesh fabric (like goretex may be) where it doesn't allow oil/grease within & the same time ease on maintenance.

PS - Haven't you slept till now? What're you doing so early in the morning?
Old 17th November 2010, 15:56   #369
Senior - BHPian

Aargee this is what I use

Tools for a DIYer-mw09_mg_05_h_400x500.jpg
Automotive > The Original® Glove : Mechanix Wear
Old 17th November 2010, 21:32   #370
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... do we get these in More or Reliance fresh kind of supermarkets? ...
Possible, since I have seen low quality China-made ones in Food World! Better places are like Star Bazaar, Spar, etc.

Quote:
But leather cannot withstand against water right? ...
Of course it can. One has to blow-dry ASAP with a hair dryer. It goes bad only if you leave it wet and allow fungus to form.
Old 17th November 2010, 22:46   #371
BHPian

To wash gloves try Pril dishwash. Its lime+vinegar+soda great combo to get grease and oil off clothes too and your hands without being harsh. (A plus of being from garment retail)
Old 18th November 2010, 01:47   #372
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
@BBlost - I like this, but you see the problem of grease & oil getting into the hands, especially when the material is made out of...COTTON!!!

I love the smell of grease and oil on my hands.

But unless you dip your hands into oil, this will not permeate thru the gloves.

I had one issue when I forgot that the oil was hot and started draining it. The hot oil soaked into the gloves and almost burnt my hands.
Old 18th November 2010, 12:45   #373
Distinguished - BHPian

I used to love the smell of cutting oil --- that milky mixture of oil and water that cools the tool and the work on industrial laths, drilling machines, etc.

Then I learnt that it is carcinogenic. We must take care when we are handling these things. Would it be wise for mechanics and frequent engine DIYers to use some sort of barrier cream? It's been three decades since I worked (unskilled and semi-skilled only) in engineering factories, but I think we used to. Makes the cleaning easier too.

I don't think there is any harm in enjoying the smell
Old 24th November 2010, 11:29   #374
Senior - BHPian

Is this a tools infatuation?

I've putting off to post this for over 3 days now as people would call me crazy, but, I'm going mad without a guidance. I'm more in need of guidance rather than opinion.

I've been drooling over Craftsman tools over few days & have been thinking to get one shipped to India. I already have the following tools with me...
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1796695-post.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1801032-post.html

Everytime I visit Craftsman tools, I go crazy & I've resisted myself several times from checking out the cart

Anyway, my intention through this post is that I can shell out a maximum of 15K for the tools in addition to Mechanix gloves (I'm getting them) & these are the ones I've sorted out...
1. Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more
2. Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more
3. Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more

What I'm not sure is...
1. Despite having my 101 piece mech tool kit, do I really need one of the above? So I'd convinced myself that, I can sell off my 101 piece & replace with the one I buy.
2. But there's another thought that, I can choose to buy the ones that I don't have with me now & keep adding to the tools. But the thing is, I do not know if those tools will be really in handy or not & most importantly which ones should I choose?
3. Last but not the least

Purpose - Small to medium work load with general house hold work, medium to advanced work with motorcycle & scooters & small to medium works on car.

Gurus, pls guide me as I'm little confused in this. Feel free to suggest anything apart from what I've stated too. Tks.

Last edited by aargee : 24th November 2010 at 11:30.
Old 24th November 2010, 12:10   #375
BANNED

@ aargee, I can't Guide you ( for sure ) but I can suggest you.

points to be considered ( keeping in mind your 'noble' 'Intentions' )

1) checking quality of tools shown on websites , I think one can get too much Impressed & 'crazy ' by pics & blindly order them .

2) In such deals ( package ) the danger of getting many ' unwanted/ unnecessary ' items which come with the lot, is there . (You can order/buy, but after some time you may feel that some of them are never being used)

3) I would suggest that you follow my path which is economical but not 'Glamorus' .

What I did for so many years is that I bought tools ( except basic ) one by one & according to requirment of the particular job . I buy from the chor bazar & also from the new shops .
But every time I insist on good quality

The links you have shown are very much tempting but we need to live in reality too.

One more thing you are not alone being crazy , I have gone through 'this' particular thing many times . But need to think without getting too much influenced/tempted

Best of luck , for a proper choice & selection

Sudarshan
PS Check this, http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...ls-thread.html

Last edited by Sudarshan : 24th November 2010 at 12:17.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks