Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2010, 10:36   #226
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
@Deralte Sir, Bingo!!! the keyword is "usage" is what hit the nail. I agree completely, one should go based on the usage. Thank you very much for helping me understand; now next time when I go buying one, I'm sure to review your post & hit the market; I'll buy things based on my needs.

I'm looking for buying a hand tool, that is something like this to serve the following purpose by simply changing the blades
1. Cut wall, glad if it could cut concrete
2. Cut metals such as iron/alumunium, wood & water pipes (both Gi & Pvc)
3. Additionally extend to polish car like this

I don't want a heavy dutier, but a medium one for house hold purpose to aid in plumbing & light motorcycle work.

My questions are...
1. First of all, is my list valid? I mean, can I accomplish the multiple cutting jobs by simply changing the blades & without varying the RPM's or the machine? More simpler words, does one machine fit to do all the jobs?
2. Can I simply replace the blade with a buff & extend to polish the car? Is there such a model available?
3. I intend to buy Bosch, any additional information is highly appreciated on how to look for a ideal machine. Thanks.
Angle Grinding wheel can be used for cutting with the correct wheel, but it's mainly used for grinding so using it for other usage like cutting will be not an easy job.

I don't think that it can be used for car polishing as its rpm is too high to make scratches while you doing. One slip of hand will set you back by a couple of thousands for the re paint. But if you have enough patience and skills then it may work.
Old 27th July 2010, 12:05   #227
mkh
Senior - BHPian

DA polisher

Anyone has an idea where in bangalore ( or around) can we get a DA polisher- used basically for surface treatment?
Old 27th July 2010, 13:33   #228
Distinguished - BHPian

Another of my cautionary notes: an angle grinder is a very dangerous tool: eye protection, and preferably more, ia an absolute must.
Old 27th July 2010, 13:44   #229
Senior - BHPian

Ok, I'll buy a pair of goggles even if they don't give one free along with it. But any help on the model/specification is highly appreciated.
Old 28th July 2010, 00:28   #230
Distinguished - BHPian

Hmmm... don't know. There are probably international standards, but do they get applied here? something hard sent flying by a grinding wheel is pretty destructive.

Full-face protection would be ideal...
Old 28th July 2010, 05:32   #231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Full-face protection would be ideal...
Ok, I'll wear a helmet

Jokes apart, any idea on the cost of this? Personally I prefer Bosch, but still, are there any other renowned brands? I don't want those Chinese imports.
Old 28th July 2010, 06:37   #232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Ok, I'll buy a pair of goggles even if they don't give one free along with it. But any help on the model/specification is highly appreciated.
you need safety glasses that cover the sides. IF you are wearing regular glasses then you need side sheilds.
Old 28th July 2010, 09:17   #233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
you need safety glasses that cover the sides. IF you are wearing regular glasses then you need side sheilds.
No Sir, I'm really intending to buy the safety googles, as I've seen the sparks that throws up when cutting the iron bars during constructions & would like to buy this. Infact, I would like to wear gloves & set out to work like a professional. Though people might make fun, but the gloves help in holding the iron bar, without me having to pour water often when cutting.

I used to hate tools & loved working with hands; but then the outcome of using the tools is really awesome, great quality work without much experience is what impressed me & hence the look out for tools.

I cannot afford for something like Wurth, Craftsman or Pferd right now, so I guess I've to settle for Bosch. Appreciate to suggest some alternatives for Bosch for wide choices & suggestions on purchasing. Tks.

Last edited by aargee : 28th July 2010 at 09:18.
Old 3rd August 2010, 18:18   #234
Senior - BHPian

Update
I inquired about GWS 6-100 - MINI ANGLE GRINDER & the price is about 1850 which is little discounted than the normal selling price of Rs 2130 against the MRP 43XX. I hope this is normal. Now this comes with some 3 disc plates, which I think is for sanding; for my need on metal & wood cutting, there're 2 blades that costs around Rs 200 each.

They also showed one more product, Hitachi, which is as good as Bosch & its "Made in Malaysia" product & the store owner said Hitachi was better than Bosch as its little heavy duty when compared.

Which one should be better? Hitachi or Bosch. My requirements are not more than cutting a thing sheet of metal or pipe or wood of 3-4 inches thick. Pls provide your opinion
Bosch - BOSCH Angle Grinder GWS 6-100 [GWS 6-100] - RM213.00 : Technotools, Hand Tools & Equipment Distributor

Hitachi - Hitachi G10Sr3 Angle Grinder 100mm / 4" Disc 730w 240v : Tooled-Up.com
Old 3rd August 2010, 19:15   #235
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Now this comes with some 3 disc plates, which I think is for sanding; for my need on metal & wood cutting, there're 2 blades that costs around Rs 200 each.
I've never had an angle grinder, but I think this is a cutting and grinding tool for metal and masonry. I don't think you can sand with it, or cut wood cleanly.

Could be wrong, though!
Old 3rd August 2010, 19:40   #236
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
but I think this is a cutting and grinding tool for metal and masonry. I don't think you can sand with it, or cut wood cleanly.
I'm confident it can be used for sanding, like you said, I too have my own questions on how it can be used to cutting wood. For masonry, they use something like this for cutting the steel - Bosch Power Tools in Online Buyer's Guide, atleast that's what they're using near my house (not bosch though). This hand tool can be used even for cutting through the wall. Basically, I think, this tool is good to make any 3 inches cutting or something of that sort due to the limitation on the blade's size.

If there's a tool to remove the rounded screws (changed from hexagon to circular) or highly tightened screws, that's one of the greatest asset of my lifetime. Does anyone know or heard about such a tool? Any pointers are highly appreciated. Tks.
Old 3rd August 2010, 21:16   #237
Distinguished - BHPian

There is a tool for removing stuck bolts, but I never actually had it in my hands. I guess it would work with rounded (how did you do that? using the wrong size key? Tut tut ) hex-head bolts, as it would grip in the hole. Sorry, don't even know what it is called.
Old 4th August 2010, 08:58   #238
Senior - BHPian

Aaah!!! I need to know that name as I frequently encounter such bolts; one such is my frontal disc brake on my Rx which has promptly refused to be removed & the pads are tightened with the discs. It also has shaved off the hexagon edges so that its almost circular now. I'd to release the other bolt to let go off some oil to make it free.

Can someone help me on this pls? Pls point out a suitable tool that can be used to remove (unscrew) highly tightened bolts. Would appreciate even if it were a machine tool. Tks.
Old 4th August 2010, 09:53   #239
Senior - BHPian

Keep a can of WD40 handy for such occasions. If when removing a bolt you feel that it is going to strip the bolt (too tight), spritz some below the bolt head and, if exposed, the thread side, and wait for some time before trying again. Prevention is better than cure , so be careful while removing bolts or nuts.
Old 4th August 2010, 10:06   #240
Senior - BHPian

Sorry sir, I'm weak in this area. Are you talking about this one? If not, pls educate. Tks.

But since the damage is already done, is there any remedy now or any recommendation on tool is highly appreciated. I'm looking forward to buy that Bosch tool & few other tools & would like to buy a tool for the bolts that are giving me hard time along with WD40. Any suggestion on tool is greatly appreciated. Tks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks