Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2010, 00:36   #136
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1fan View Post
... noticed some sparks (not electrical sparks but the ones that we see when we try and sharpen a knife against a grinding stone) ...
Did it happen once, or is it happening continuously? Not common, but can happen if the brushes are loose (either displaced or spring loose), or if there is dirt/sand on the commutator (rectangular copper sections on which the brushes rest). Best to take it to the dealer to get it replaced, or to the service center to get it cleaned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Here's little of my collection ... few more pliers like long nose, short nose, cutter. ...
Wow, a fantastic collection.

If you can lay your hands on one, look for a Leatherman combination plier/knife/... combination folding tool. It is like a swiss knife of DIY. Has a long nose plier with strong short nose section, and literally a dozen other stuff in a folding contraption.
Old 23rd March 2010, 01:20   #137
Distinguished - BHPian

Aargee: here's a few things that I'd want to add to the nice collection on your table.

Mole wrench: it's like a third hand. Wish I had one!

Stillson Wrench: really a plumbers tool, it is like an adjustable wrench, but designed to grip round surfaces (eg pipes).

Small Pliers: For fine work

Automatic Centre Punch: if you have a drill, you should not be without one of these! Really an engineer's tool, but I find it just as useful when marking/starting a hole in a wall.

Files: a selection

Vice: a smallish one that can be attached to the edge of any bench. Get a good strong one. If it swivels and turns, then so much the better.

Hack saw: You can try insisting that it is for cutting steel only --- but you'll end up cutting other stuff with it too!

Here's something that is probably useless around the car, but I think every house should have one, and I cannot understand why I've never yet seen an Indian builder with one:

A Spirit Level !!!
Old 23rd March 2010, 05:31   #138
Senior - BHPian

@Thad - Thank you so much for your valuable advice; I'm sure to buy mole wrench, stillson wrench, small pliers; actually I'd bought a good stillson wrench made by craftsman, looking at the beauty, my Grandpa fell in love & as I love him too, I donated the $22 stillson to him

On centre punch, my dad used to have one, but I really never found much use for it.

Files & hammer, yes I've only one file & 2 hammer but never took it out on the table to take the pic. I'll search for more files & buy them.

Vice - sorry could you help me understand better? I couldn't understand nor found a convincing pic in google images; is this a big one?

Hacksaw - well I'm not much interested because for several reasons;
1. I used to do plumbing work, but then most of the things are stable now & I have that small axe that takes care of my needs to cut the pipes; metal pipes, I never use or incase I need to use them, I cut them at the shop.
2. I like doing wood work, but I never learned; so I'm skeptical working on wood & hence I don't need them; if at all I need them, I would consider buying a hand held hacksaw with the round blade that is multipurpose for cutting wood & concrete (yes, I've an eye on this)

Last but not the least - spirit level; I found them very useful only when laying tiles; on drilling, I use instincts & the Bosch GSB10 is real professional.

Last night I was browsing sears & was very much tempted to buy several things (happens every time when I browse Craftsman & Sears); I'll be buying a 8/11 set pliers for sure & wrenches up from 15 to 25 & that are in addition to what you've suggested. I would go for English scale & not the metric scale one. If you have some more pls let me know. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathee46 View Post
@argee - Lovely tools, where did you get the mechanic toolset and would you mind sharing the cost. I'm looking for a ratchet kit.
USA; I don't remember the cost as I'd bought it 5 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Wow, a fantastic collection.

If you can lay your hands on one, look for a Leatherman combination plier/knife/... combination folding tool. It is like a swiss knife of DIY. Has a long nose plier with strong short nose section, and literally a dozen other stuff in a folding contraption.
Thanks. I couldn't understand the second part; could you elaborate more? Is Leatherman a name of the brand?

Last edited by aargee : 23rd March 2010 at 05:36.
Old 23rd March 2010, 13:22   #139
Distinguished - BHPian

Oh dear, I drip with embarrassment at the thought of googling "vice" and expecting to find something useful for the workshop!

Apparently it is spelt vise. You wouldn't think that English is my native, and only language...

I have this one. Bought it in UK a couple of years ago, and it was a heavy addition to my baggage, but a neat unit.

Leatherman is, indeed, the brand. Probably the most famous of the quality "multitool" brands. High quality; high price --- but should last a lifetime. I have this one.

Except for the few years when I took to making jewellery as a hobby, I am probably more a tool collector than user, and, a couple of years ago I set my heart on another multitool. Just recently I got a friend to bring me one from USA

Now, I just want to add this one to the collection! It combines the mole-wrench function.
Old 23rd March 2010, 13:32   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Oh dear, I drip with embarrassment at the thought of googling "vice" and expecting to find something useful for the workshop!

Thanks for the pointers & yes Stanley is a very good brand; unfortunately Stanley is not directly available in India & I heard they tied up with some local vendor here & I'm not sure about their quality in India; regarding leatherman, yes, I get an impression that they're nothing less to Craftsman. But sorry, I don't need a vise for my usage & also I'm not a fan of all in one or multi utilities in a single tool. If a tool is screwdriver, I like it to keep it separate & keep it for driving the screws & don't like to mix & match with plier.

I've 2 more (multi) tool that I'll post them today; bought from dollar store in US; the 101 mech toolset + black & decker were carried from US.

Last edited by aargee : 23rd March 2010 at 13:34.
Old 23rd March 2010, 14:04   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Did it happen once, or is it happening continuously? Not common, but can happen if the brushes are loose (either displaced or spring loose), or if there is dirt/sand on the commutator (rectangular copper sections on which the brushes rest). Best to take it to the dealer to get it replaced, or to the service center to get it cleaned.
It happens all the time but only when revved high i.e. when I keep the trigger pressed for a longer duration.

Last edited by f1fan : 23rd March 2010 at 14:14.
Old 23rd March 2010, 14:54   #142
Distinguished - BHPian

I've seen Stanley Tools in a shop in Parry's --- but I didn't go in and poke around, so I can't vouch for them being original, etc.
Old 23rd March 2010, 15:23   #143
Senior - BHPian

Pls Thad, could you give me some location & guidance, I like to get hold of some genuine Stanley instead of Craftsman (OT - I emailed Sears asking about the shipping charges of Craftsman to India & its like 2-3 days now & I haven't got any response)

Meanwhile I stumbled on this - Eastman, Mascot & Blackjack; Do you've any idea about these guys?

Last edited by aargee : 23rd March 2010 at 15:33.
Old 23rd March 2010, 21:59   #144
Distinguished - BHPian

I think it is in one of the roads that crosses Broadway, maybe Errabalu Street. Not sure. I think that the main tool shops are on Broadway.

Thanks for the links to sites of Indian manufacturers: I'll take a look!
Old 23rd March 2010, 22:57   #145
Senior - BHPian

Have you guys checked out the range of tools from Wurth, Germany?
Old 24th March 2010, 09:33   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Have you guys checked out the range of tools from Wurth, Germany?
Nitrous - That's a good information you provided;here's India's contact details. However, I expected a lineage of their tools or something similar to that when I browsed their site & was unable to find any. Let me try calling these guys in Kilpauk today & update more here.

and Chennai's contact is
Reinhold Wuerth India Pvt. Ltd.
Plot No. 139, Door No. 104
Secretariat Colony 9th Street
Kilpauk, Chennai - 600010
INDIA
Phone - 91 33 24 392 458
Fax - 91 33 24 394 152
e-Mail: sales@wuerth.co.in

Last evening I came to know about another tool manufacturer PFERD through a friend, whose relative works in PFERD USA; the tools he was stating blew me, but these guys are not in India yet.

Last edited by aargee : 24th March 2010 at 09:39.
Old 24th March 2010, 11:40   #147
Senior - BHPian

Update on Wuerth
They're selling house hold tools like wrenches & pliers at the above location in Chennai; tools are imported directly from Germany; they don't have any other selling point other than the above; office timing is from 09:30 to 18:30 Mon-Fri; additionally they work on 1st & last Saturday of every month from 09:30 to 17:00.

Nitrous - Thanks for the pointer
Old 24th March 2010, 14:17   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1fan View Post
It happens all the time but only when revved high ...
That means it is happening at all times. Even at slow speed, except then the sparks must be limited inside the housing. Better get it checked.
Old 24th March 2010, 17:52   #149
BHPian

Quote:
That means it is happening at all times. Even at slow speed, except then the sparks must be limited inside the housing. Better get it checked.
Looks like my reply was confusing...My bad.
The sparks are seen everytime but only when I revv hard. If I dont revv much then the sparks are not seen.
Old 24th March 2010, 17:52   #150
Distinguished - BHPian

Here's another international company with an agent in Bangalore. I picked up a paper from the Chennai Engineering exhibition.

PFERD

Like many of the exhibitions at the Chennai Trade centre, the Engineering exhibition is fun --- it could hardly be otherwise, daydreaming about filling our house with lathe, milling and drilling machines --- but it could be so much better. There is not much there in the way of hand tools. I think it was better last year.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 24th March 2010 at 17:53. Reason: Forgot to give the link!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks