Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2010, 18:03   #151
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Here's another international company with an agent in Bangalore. I picked up a paper from the Chennai Engineering exhibition.

PFERD
If you don't mind, could you pls give me contact of PFERD? I would like to check them out; I've been told that they've a hand held tool that does fabulous jobs like buffing, cutting, polishing, screw driving, removing nuts & even drilling. I would like to check out that.

These are the one I promised to show y'day
Tools for a DIYer-p1.jpg

Last edited by aargee : 24th March 2010 at 18:18.
Old 24th March 2010, 18:08   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1fan View Post
Looks like my reply was confusing ... dont revv much then the sparks are not seen.
Arrey no, my answer was not precisely worded, I realize now. I meant - if the sparks are visible outside in high RPM, it is quite likely that the sparks are being produced at low RPM also - just that they remain hidden in the housing and don't come out, and hence you can't see them.
Old 24th March 2010, 18:22   #153
Distinguished - BHPian

PFERD: click on the link in my post, use the dropdown box called something like "other Markets" and select India. You'll get the B'lore company address.
Old 27th March 2010, 13:26   #154
Senior - BHPian

I was there at Wurth Chennai today; they've a very good collection & looks like they've about 1.6L different types of tools; they seem to have supplied tools to Volkswagen & BMW India. Anyway, @Nitrous - man, show me some pointers for buying tools man, these are way too expensive & highly unaffordable for poor people like me.

They'd a plier set (3 numbers) that was worth 6100+12.5% vat; the project manager was kind enough to offer to me at this price only after 50% discount; their 17 piece wrench set costs about 4100!!!

I turned up without buying anything for that price; anyway, mind refused to settle in for Taparia or Drop Forged; will look into Eastman tools & post updates.
Tools for a DIYer-picture.jpg
Old 5th April 2010, 16:21   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Arrey no, my answer was not precisely worded, I realize now. I meant - if the sparks are visible outside in high RPM, it is quite likely that the sparks are being produced at low RPM also - just that they remain hidden in the housing and don't come out, and hence you can't see them.
Thanks Mate for all your help. Last weekend, I took the drill machine back and got a replacement. No sparks now . Now I need to buy a good set of drill bits for wood and mason work. Any pointers on what to buy.
Old 14th April 2010, 18:17   #156
Senior - BHPian

Ratchet Wrench

Can someone tell me where I can get ratchet type wrenches for my car in Mumbai? I have enquired at some local hardware shops but they only stock open / ring / box wrenches. I have seen the local MASS guys use ratchet wrenches, and I would like to check some out if they are reasonably priced.
Old 15th April 2010, 19:53   #157
BHPian

water pump plier

I found this tool handy while doing most of the tasks. You can adjust the jaw width as per requirement and costs only Rs. 125/-. Made in India and quality is good.
Tools for a DIYer-image288s.jpg
Tools for a DIYer-image289s.jpg
Old 15th April 2010, 21:26   #158
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes; an incredibly useful tool. Try to use proper spanners/sockets on nuts and bolts, to avoid damaging them --- but there are so many things pump pliers will get at and undo.

I call them parrot pliers because ... they remind me of a parot!
Old 17th April 2010, 19:57   #159
Senior - BHPian

This is the adjustable spanner, the most favourite tool for the plumbers. I am looking at a proper ratchet spanner. I checked with a local hardware store from where I have bought several odd things in the past, and he said he might get one for me by Tuesday. Cost is approximately 325/- The best part is it is actually just a handle, you can fit any size adapter to it for different sized nuts. I have another spanner which is actually just a handle, and on its hooked tip you can fit a variety of heads to fit different nuts. So the same spanner could be used for your wheel nuts, or for any nuts inside the engine bay as well. But it's not a ratchet.

If I get one, I shall post a picture here.
Old 17th April 2010, 23:08   #160
Senior - BHPian

I see that its warranted for life; so did you find out what's that warranty coverage for & how many years?
Old 19th April 2010, 19:29   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
I see that its warranted for life; so did you find out what's that warranty coverage for & how many years?
It say workmanship and material problems. I asked the shopkeeper. He says if it breaks or bends with normal use then could be replaced instantly.
Old 20th April 2010, 08:26   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by omishra View Post
It say workmanship and material problems. I asked the shopkeeper. He says if it breaks or bends with normal use then could be replaced instantly.
Which will never happen IMO. We've one say for last 33+ years & still working fine & that was from Drop Forged.
Old 21st April 2010, 00:13   #163
Senior - BHPian

Checked with the store and the spanner hasn't arrived. Then the owner shows me another item from the catalogue with the name "Ratchet Handle" and a 2008 price of Rs. 484/- It can take any size lugs. Have ordered one.

Btw, the part number is 1203 or something from the catalogue of Taparia tools.
Old 21st April 2010, 01:10   #164
Senior - BHPian

@honeybee, the ratchet spanner is infact 3 separate items. The Ratchet handle (which contains the mechanism), the extension rod which gets attached to the handle perpendicularly and finally the head which attaches to the extension rod. You get different sized heads to fit different nuts. Try to take your lug-nut with you (if you don't exactly know its size) and get the proper head, else you might have to pick up a set of heads and pray that any one fits the lug nut. I'll try to upload the pic of my ratchet spanner in a day or two. Too lazy to go an get it from the car now :-)
Old 28th April 2010, 01:26   #165
BHPian

for those who are D.I.Y types, and love experimenting Electronic projects, there's a site named http://www.kitsnspares.com/ with many electronic project and kits.

Also a hard to find components can be picked up from their "farnell store" at Shopping.kitsnspares.com

I've just ordered a PIC16F688-I/P MICROCONTROLLER for a home project which i want to make soon.
Lets see how long does the delivery process takes.

Most Viewed