Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Hole saw is the way to go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Hole saw worked well for me too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Hole saw sounds good for the job.
Guys, thank you for the prompt inputs. I was able to cut the hole using the hole saw on the plastic tank. Luckily, the plastic did not melt as I had feared.

Tools for a DIYer-img_9855.jpg

And just as luck would have it, the hole saw was a perfect fit on the drill chuck when the jaws were retracted completely. Else I would have to use some attachments.

Got a lot of flak (albeit positive) on the other thread for not using jack stands while working underneath the car. I have sent some inquiries to some vendors for a pair of good quality 3 ton jack stands. Let’s see how that goes.

Also need to invest in an electrical extension box. I think it is better to make one with 4 sockets, a fuse and a really lengthy cord like 20-25 m in a reel. When we were doing the DIY last Friday, there were no sockets nearby and we had to daisy chain 4 surge protectors for the job.

Tools for a DIYer-img_9852.jpg

Tools for a DIYer-img_9851.jpg

Tools for a DIYer-img_9850.jpg

Tools for a DIYer-img_9849.jpg

PS: Don’t bother about the soldering iron in that snap. The iron was cool when the snap was clicked.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2015, 12:35   #903
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tools for a DIYer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Luckily, the plastic did not melt as I had feared.
I don't think the speeds the drill is capable of will melt the plastic with a hole saw or regular bit.

I have experienced melted plastic when working with dremel at near its maximum speed with carbide bits (and even when using nylon bristle) on plastic.

Quote:
And just as luck would have it, the hole saw was a perfect fit on the drill chuck when the jaws were retracted completely. Else I would have to use some attachments.
Why? Didn't the holesaw have a shank at the other end?
Old 9th March 2015, 12:41   #904
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Why? Didn't the holesaw have a shank at the other end?
It did (a hex shank; pic) but when we retracted the jaws of the chuck completely, it seemed like a real tight fit. I was wondering if I will have to use an attachment but it did fit ultimately.
Old 9th March 2015, 15:59   #905
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I don't think the speeds the drill is capable of will melt the plastic with a hole saw or regular bit.
Admittedly, we are both theorising here (at least I am: perhaps you have tried this, and you shluld tell me: "speak for yourself!" ) but I think it would easily. Many bits/tools at reasonable price are not actually very sharp, and the blunter the tool, the more the friction, the more the danger of melting or softening.
Old 9th March 2015, 18:46   #906
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Also need to invest in an electrical extension box. I think it is better to make one with 4 sockets, a fuse and a really lengthy cord like 20-25 m in a reel. When we were doing the DIY last Friday, there were no sockets nearby and we had to daisy chain 4 surge protectors for the job.

PS: Don’t bother about the soldering iron in that snap. The iron was cool when the snap was clicked.
Here is what is available, albeit a bit expensive.
http://www.amazon.in/MX-SOCKETS-EXTE...5906797&sr=1-3

available in 50m and 30m reels
Old 9th March 2015, 23:36   #907
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Here is what is available, albeit a bit expensive.
Wonder what is the justification behind the cost? Is there any import fee which causes the prices of these relatively simple items to go up? Most of them cost just half at amazon.com
Old 17th March 2015, 08:35   #908
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
You should get some axle stands or similar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
2. Use Jack Stands hence forward whenever you wish to take wheel off from car.
Update:

Ordered a pair of jack stands from Snapdeal last week and they were delivered by Blue Dart yesterday. Had raised an inquiry on the Indiamart website and only 2 dealers bothered to contact me back. Fortunately, one of them had their shop listed on Snapdeal (Aron Technologies, New Delhi) so made the payment using the Snapdeal link instead of a direct bank transfer to the vendor’s account which may not have a buyer security.

Tools for a DIYer-wp_20150316_21_20_27_pro.jpg

Tools for a DIYer-wp_20150316_21_57_35_pro.jpg

Make - Big Bull, model - BBH 53003, paid Rs. 1356.

Quality of the stands look good at least going by the paint, finish and weight. These are very heavy - the delivery guy must have had a hard time lugging it! The ratchet mechanism also works well. Yet to test it with the car. Will be doing so in a couple of months’ time when I intend to fabricate a sump guard for the engine.

Next much wanted addition to my tool kit - a bench vice. Can’t always ask my wife to hold the job while I work with it.
Gannu_1 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th March 2015, 11:59   #909
Distinguished - BHPian

Very good, looks the business! Be safe!
Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2015, 13:23   #910
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Update:

Ordered a pair of jack stands from Snapdeal last week and they were delivered by Blue Dart yesterday.
What is the max height of these stands?

EDIT: 1356 each or for the pair?

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 18th March 2015 at 13:26.
Old 18th March 2015, 13:28   #911
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
What is the max height of these stands?
444 mm when the ratchet rests on the last tooth.

Price is for a pair Tejas.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 18th March 2015 at 13:29.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2015, 10:51   #912
Team-BHP Support

“Take these three items right here. You can have this. WD-40, vise grips, and some duct tape. Any man worth his salt can do half the household chores with just those three things.” - Walt Kowalski (Clint Eastwood) in the movie Gran Torino.

Add m-seal and that list is complete. 3 must haves in a tool box IMO.
Old 26th March 2015, 23:04   #913
BHPian

Need you DIYers to help me out here. If there were to be a Hand/Power Tool rental service (Plus throw in other random DIY stuff),

1. Which items would you guys want stocked up? Lets say everything from a T2 screw driver to a bulldozer (not really, though that would be awesome) is possible
2. Would you guys prefer to buy tools rather than rent them considering the rentals are less than 5-8% of the item cost (per day /depending on the item) with a pick up and drop service.

Just thinking out loud here.
akshaymahajan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2015, 20:47   #914
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshaymahajan View Post
1. Which items would you guys want stocked up? Lets say everything from a T2 screw driver to a bulldozer (not really, though that would be awesome) is possible
2. Would you guys prefer to buy tools rather than rent them considering the rentals are less than 5-8% of the item cost (per day /depending on the item) with a pick up and drop service.
Personally I would just buy the smaller/less expensive tools rather than waiting for the rental availablity.The rental option makes sense for bigger high priced items that I may not have regular use for or do not have space to store.

I doubt the ROI for such a business would be good if the target customer is a regular DIY guy. If the business is located at a place where there are many small garages/workshops who can't afford specialized tools, it might work out.
Jaguar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2015, 21:23   #915
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Personally I would just buy the smaller/less expensive tools rather than waiting for the rental availablity.The rental option makes sense for bigger high priced items that I may not have regular use for or do not have space to store.

I doubt the ROI for such a business would be good if the target customer is a regular DIY guy. If the business is located at a place where there are many small garages/workshops who can't afford specialized tools, it might work out.
I dont disagree with what you say at all. Depends on the tools like you said. I wouldnt want to rent a drill machine or a screw driver. But a pressure washer or a dremel or even an impact drill, i wouldnt mind. But then the TG decreases exponentially in size. With a select set of tools, and a brilliant execution plan (which includes 90 minute delivery and probably a yearly unlimited membership for like 2000-4000), it may just work though. With houses becoming smaller and people more adventurous, it could just work IMO

Anybody here knows whether the Bosch DIY square shut shop or not?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks