Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2014, 19:28   #856
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tools for a DIYer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
That would need you to visualise the paths of air and the heavier particles. Been there, done that, nothing new - this is an old concept.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ::CMS:: View Post
Functionally they are same, all methods creates the cyclone in one way or the other, but there is difference in the effectiveness of filtering. The cone cyclone filters are far cheap and more effective in filtering.
Yes, centrifugal separators are nothing new, devil is the details.
So it would be great (OT for this thread, so maybe a new thread on aircleaners in the technical section) on different designs, with their pros and cons? And why.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 15th December 2014, 13:07   #857
Senior - BHPian

Was in Mumbai on Saturday and had time to visit Crawford Market area.

While searching for Stanley shop in that area, I discovered a 'Stanley exclusive' shop - perhaps a distributor near Nagdevi Street.

Purchased several tools with 30-40% discount.
One of them was this one and it cost me around Rs. 1350 (MRP was around 2200).

All those streets are filled with hardware and tools shops. It is a bit over-whelming to see the size of the market on your first visit.
Old 15th December 2014, 13:50   #858
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If your requirement is limited, dont buy the bits as a set, some you may never use.
Amen! I just needed one bit to put holes on the Alu. angle bracket to route the clothes line and to fix them on the wall.

Quote:
Also get a medium grit file or a counter sink bit to clear the hole.
This wasn’t a precision hole so just the hole and some filing to get rid of the sharp edges worked well.

Quote:
Make sure you use safety glass and make a habit of wearing gloves (rubber dotted) while handling any tools.
Safety glasses are always on when drilling holes on the wall (fine dust!) so this wasn’t any different. Gloves - not sure. Haven’t done any hard core machining work at home so never used them. Will order a pair for safety sakes.

Quote:
Get a carbide-tipped bit, will be faster (of course with cooling - use an oil-water emulsion). Cast iron is much more abrasive than steel. HSS bit will also do, but you will run through the bit and your patience before the hole is through!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Normal twist drills (118 deg angle) work quite well. For Al, carbon steel will do just fine, no need of HSS. If you want to get more technical, preferred lubricant for machining Al is kerosene.

Be warned though, if you are drilling thin sheets, normal twist drills will leave you with a nonround hole.
Got an HSS drill from the local hardware shop for Rs. 30. Set the drill at a low rpm (500’ish I think) and it drilled through the 4thk Alu. angle like a hot knife through butter! Absolutely smooth. I didn’t have a cutting fluid readily available (where do we get kerosene nowadays? Ration shop?) so skipped that. The angle was barely warm after the job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
don't think you can hoid it with your foot, like you might do a piece of wood: if the drill snags, you might loose a piece of foot
I held it with a piece of duct tape on 40 thk wooden board:

Tools for a DIYer-wp_20141214_12_01_48_pro.jpg

Very bad I know but I didn’t have a choice at that time. Neither did I want my wife to hold the angle for me since she has never held a tool with her hand before. Next thing on the to-buy list - couple of C clamps. I missed them during this job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Use a centre punch, or the bit will just go skating.
Yep. Used a punch and hammer to locate the hole on the piece and then drilled through it.

Thank you for the responses guys. Appreciate it.
Old 15th December 2014, 14:22   #859
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... So it would be great (OT for this thread, so maybe a new thread on aircleaners in the technical section) on different designs, with their pros and cons? And why. ...
Thanks! Good idea. OTOH isn't there a vacuum cleaners thread somewhere?
Old 15th December 2014, 21:05   #860
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
When drilling in thin sheets, use a smaller diameter for the hole. Say 5mm for a 7mm hole. Then use a conical grinding bit to smoothen the irregular hole. To avoid the thin sheet swiveling with the drill bit, back it with a wooden piece.
Grinding Aluminium?
Positional accuracy of hole centre?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
I held it with a piece of duct tape on 40 thk wooden board:

Attachment 1318691
Somehow I thought you were embarking on a much bigger job!

Quote:
Thanks! Good idea. OTOH isn't there a vacuum cleaners thread somewhere?
Searching for Dyson here does not throw up anything relevant.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 16th December 2014, 13:29   #861
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... Searching for Dyson here does not throw up anything relevant.
Not synonymous in India, no?

Sent from my iPad using Team-BHP App
Old 16th December 2014, 20:42   #862
Senior - BHPian

Here is photo of the recent purchase.

Tools for a DIYer-img_20141215_214535033.jpg
Old 8th January 2015, 18:11   #863
Senior - BHPian

Here is an offer on Dremel for Bosch employees. Posting here so that if anyone in need can get it through their friends/ acquaintances working there.

Tools for a DIYer-unnamed.jpg

Please note that to avail the EMI facility, the person buying should be a member in the society run by the employees.

Please call Mr. Rajkumar in case you wish to talk. He is the owner of the DIY square where this product is being sold. The other gentleman is from the Bosch and may not take up outside orders.

Mods please note that I have no interest in the above and posting for the benefit of fellow bhpians. You are free to delete this, if found otherwise.

Last edited by unk9ja : 8th January 2015 at 18:13. Reason: Updated the contact person
Old 3rd February 2015, 13:09   #864
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Very true and agree. I see skil tool kits for 299 from Tolexo. Never heard of this site and i am backing out. The one tool which caught my eye is the electronic screwdriver from the same website for 299. No idea about the website, so not willing to take a risk.
Quoting this post since this is the only mention of toledo in this thread.

Buyers just be aware. These guys are a bunch of incompetent buggers. Avoid dealing with them. I've had some issues with them and on searching the net found a host of complaints against them.
Old 5th February 2015, 07:26   #865
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Quoting this post since this is the only mention of toledo in this thread.

Buyers just be aware. These guys are a bunch of incompetent buggers. Avoid dealing with them. I've had some issues with them and on searching the net found a host of complaints against them.
I had the same dilemma and luckily didnt use them to buy any items.

Hope this query satisfies this thread.

We have bunch of RC cars, the toy ones. Some RC joystick are broken and nowhere to be found. Does the available joystick be used to control any RC cars. I just see 27Mhz sticker on available cars and RC, but not sure whether it can be worked.
Old 5th February 2015, 13:13   #866
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... We have bunch of RC cars, the toy ones. Some RC joystick are broken and nowhere to be found. Does the available joystick be used to control any RC cars. I just see 27Mhz sticker on available cars and RC, but not sure whether it can be worked.
In some RC cars, the channel is selectable (this changes the frequency a bit, e.g. 27.35MHz or 27.82MHz). If it is, then another similar remote (with selectable channels) can be set to the same channel to control it. The alternative is to change the crystal used in the car to make it suitable for another remote.

Open one of the RC cars (whose remote is broken) and check if it has a switch mechanism to set channel. If not, you have to keep trying with the other remotes to see which one is suitable.
Old 5th February 2015, 21:53   #867
BHPian

Quote:
In some RC cars, the channel is selectable (this changes the frequency a bit, e.g. 27.35MHz or 27.82MHz). If it is, then another similar remote (with selectable channels) can be set to the same channel to control it. The alternative is to change the crystal used in the car to make it suitable for another remote.

Open one of the RC cars (whose remote is broken) and check if it has a switch mechanism to set channel. If not, you have to keep trying with the other remotes to see which one is suitable.
As of now none of the remotes work. I will open some and see both. What is that crystal change thing? Could you elaborate?
Old 6th February 2015, 13:02   #868
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... What is that crystal change thing? Could you elaborate?
'Crystal' refers to the quartz crystal oscillator that sets the base frequency of the transmitter / receiver pair. The transmitter encodes the position of the speed or steering control and sends it to the receiver, which uses the value to set the speed and direction of the main and steering motors. Both the transmitter and the receiver must have the same crystal frequency for the pair to work together properly.

The crystal should look like one of these (pics from internet):

Tools for a DIYer-crystal1.jpg

Tools for a DIYer-crystal2.jpg

Tools for a DIYer-crystal3.jpg
Old 8th February 2015, 08:38   #869
BHPian

Quote:
'Crystal' refers to the quartz crystal oscillator that sets the base frequency of the transmitter / receiver pair.
I am unable to find any thing of this sort in the car internals. And there is no option to change the frequency too. Is there a universal remote or anything which can come to my rescue?
Old 9th February 2015, 11:36   #870
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is there a universal remote or anything which can come to my rescue?
I doubt any manufacturer will have support for universal remote. Business considerations aside, imagine the catasrophy of a moron taking control of your RC vehicle using his universal remote.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks