Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2014, 19:59   #706
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tools for a DIYer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Brilliant. I was sceptical that a Dremel in an inexperienced hand could accomplish this.

Apologies to you and the dremel! Great job
I was skeptical myself as i haven't done any power grinding before, but I'm not new to such things so had an idea on how to go about it and the output is satisfactory (compared to how unfinished it was before). As i had to work with hard steel i went for the biggest dremel and it worked.

Did some cutting inside the airbox with the softmetal/plastic cutting bit and came out well. Its made a difference to engine breathing as well. Basically cut out all the muffling ribs. Working with the airbox it was hard to do some corners because of the large handpiece, smaller handpiece would've been good for both these inside jobs. If there is a 90degree adapter for the fortiflex handpiece that would be awesome.
Attached Thumbnails
Tools for a DIYer-airboxinside.jpg  

Tools for a DIYer-airboxinside2.jpg  

Tools for a DIYer-airboxinside3.jpg  

Last edited by Sankar : 4th February 2014 at 20:02.
Sankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2014, 21:33   #707
BHPian

Name:  ForumRunner_20140207_212947.png
Views: 1202
Size:  505.9 KB

Death of the trusty hand blender.
Operation Sunday brunch with Aloo paranthas and fresh butter in distress.....

Name:  ForumRunner_20140207_213206.png
Views: 1156
Size:  356.5 KB

Birth of the new 1500 watt power blender! Operation successful

P.S. Don't try this with a dirty drill from your tool box!

Last edited by drsingh : 7th February 2014 at 21:51.
drsingh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2014, 11:50   #708
Team-BHP Support

The el-cheapo handheld blower at home finally blew up after 3 years of service! It worked well as long as it lasted but the winding used to get really hot after say 10 minutes of usage and emanates a burning smell from the vents. Had to pause and resume the cleaning process. I am looking for a replacement.

eBay shows a Skil blower retailing for Rs. 1600 (inc. of shipping charges; link) which looks like the cheapest out there among the branded ones (Skil, Bosch, Black & Decker etc.). A coupon would further lessen this price. Does anyone have any experience with this one? This one has a 3 m long cord and a variable speed setting. Primary use is for cleaning the innards of the PC enclosure and the engine bay of the car.

Bosch’s blowers are retailing for 5k odd. That is too expensive! Black & Decker is for 2.5k but not sure if it is any better than the Skil one. Any inputs would be helpful! TIA!
Old 2nd April 2014, 18:43   #709
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
The el-cheapo handheld blower at home finally blew up after 3 years of service! It worked well as long as it lasted but the winding used to get really hot after say 10 minutes of usage and emanates a burning smell from the vents. Had to pause and resume the cleaning process. I am looking for a replacement.
I would suggest to buy a used air compressor for about 300-4000 bucks and use a flexible pipeline to focus compressed air at any desired location like car carpets / Boot or even your home AC.

Compressor eventhough slightly expensive that your portable motor based blower, life and power are much more. Once I construct my house, I am planning to buy and use an air compressor only.
Old 2nd April 2014, 19:20   #710
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
I would suggest to buy a used air compressor for about 300-4000 bucks and use a flexible pipeline to focus compressed air at any desired location like car carpets / Boot or even your home AC.

Compressor eventhough slightly expensive that your portable motor based blower, life and power are much more. Once I construct my house, I am planning to buy and use an air compressor only.
We live in a rented apartment in a 4-storey building; unfortunately this isn't an option. Portability is also compromised. Appreciate the tip regardless.

I think I'll go with the Skil blower.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2014, 13:10   #711
Senior - BHPian

Today Bosch have put up a stall in my company lobby for all Bosch and Skil products. The discount varies from 15 to 45% and they are ready to match online price if any product is available online for a cheaper price.

Saw a good tool kit - Skil 45 piece stubby set in the brochure (they do not have a display piece, but will get it today itself if I place the order) and now I want to buy it. I am getting this at the same Flipkart price. But since this is a stubby set, will I be able to use it for general chores?

--Anoop
Old 15th June 2014, 12:51   #712
BHPian

I had recently purchased a 41 piece tool kit, to take care of some pending work at home and car. It is worth 250 or so from ebay, and not unexpectedly, it is trash. I mean the bits : you could bite them off shape, if you have fairly well maintained Vicco Vajradanti type teeth .

I lost my Pro'skit set over the years, and now which is the one to buy, which has most of the common Torx, Allen and standard chisel and Philips heads?

Of course my focus is on :

1) Rustproof
2) HARD : yes, should not strip off or get warped. And yes, I know how to use tools properly, and not misuse! True chrome-vanadium ones are available these days?

3) Reasonably priced and available online.
4) Rustproof...!
5) Ratcheting desirable, not mandatory. I have enough fat to burn!

Any online links would be greatly appreciated and first hand user feedback would be great. Machpowertools do not seem to have one, as I speak and I don't believe Taparia is the last word in quality.

EDIT Thanks Latent, I just found this on machpowertools:

http://www.machpowertools.com/bosch-...crewdriver-set

So I think I will get this.
Attached Thumbnails
Tools for a DIYer-index.jpg  

Tools for a DIYer-2607019504600x600.jpg  

Last edited by lapis_lazuli : 15th June 2014 at 13:08.
Old 15th June 2014, 13:06   #713
BHPian

Look for Bosch sets. They are super strong.
latentpotential is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2014, 21:51   #714
Distinguished - BHPian

That looks good, but remember that a fat handle and shaft will not always reach places you need it to reach. But that should be fine: one such set will never satisfy all purposes, however many bits it comes with
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2014, 10:47   #715
Senior - BHPian

Try Taparia tools. They export quality chrome vanadium tools, and have an online presence. The prices are steep, but that is what it costs.
http://www.tapariatools.com/

When I bought sockets way back in early seventies, there was only Gedore as Taparia had not started sockets as yet. The sockets were around Rs20 on an average, today they are Rs.150+.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2014, 22:03   #716
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
That looks good, but remember that a fat handle and shaft will not always reach places you need it to reach. But that should be fine: one such set will never satisfy all purposes, however many bits it comes with
But of course! I am still thinking if I should buy the set or just the set of bits. I have a couple of handles, from earlier sets. Its the bits that fail, or, the tiny neodymium magnet inside, that falls off. I now stick a cylindrical and very strong neodymium magnet to the shaft to prevent the bit or the screw from falling off, and into wrong places!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Try Taparia tools. They export quality chrome vanadium tools, and have an online presence. The prices are steep, but that is what it costs.
http://www.tapariatools.com/
Thanks Roy Saheb. Can I get it in Sadar Bazaar or Kashmere Gate? I got a nose pliers from a Lajpat Rai Market shop, Taparia, but it's rusted tight! I guess it is a fake.

I have this, "obsession" should I say, for the following.

1) A good quality tool kit. I cant imagine life without one.
2) A perfectly flat and comfortable pair of headphones.
3) A fountain pen, which I write with, once or twice a month, maybe.
4) A CASIO digital watch; I dont wear a watch anymore, but it has to be there, nevertheless!
5) A heavy duty extension cord.

Somehow, for the last 25 years, these items have been an important part of my life, and quite inseparable! I am missing a good tool kit these days and it is unbearable.

Last edited by lapis_lazuli : 16th June 2014 at 22:12.
Old 17th June 2014, 16:00   #717
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
... nose pliers from a Lajpat Rai Market shop, Taparia, but it's rusted tight! I guess it is a fake. ...
Unlikely to be a fake. Steel used by Taparia in pliers (both 'cutting' as well as 'nose') was prone to rusting. Simple solution - clean off the rust thoroughly, and coat all exposed surfaces with white petroleum jelly (Vaseline), wiping off the excess. Mine has stayed rust free for the last 40 years!

The Bosch set looks good. It even has an extension shaft, albeit a small one. I have a set made in China 30 years back - still giving me good service. The only thing that went bad was the plastic lining holding the bits and pieces!
DerAlte is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2014, 11:39   #718
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
But of course! I am still thinking if I should buy the set or just the set of bits. I have a couple of handles, from earlier sets. Its the bits that fail, or, the tiny neodymium magnet inside, that falls off. I now stick a cylindrical and very strong neodymium magnet to the shaft to prevent the bit or the screw from falling off, and into wrong places!

Thanks Roy Saheb. Can I get it in Sadar Bazaar or Kashmere Gate? I got a nose pliers from a Lajpat Rai Market shop, Taparia, but it's rusted tight! I guess it is a fake.

I have this, "obsession" should I say, for the following.

1) A good quality tool kit. I cant imagine life without one.
2) A perfectly flat and comfortable pair of headphones.
3) A fountain pen, which I write with, once or twice a month, maybe.
4) A CASIO digital watch; I dont wear a watch anymore, but it has to be there, nevertheless!
5) A heavy duty extension cord.

Somehow, for the last 25 years, these items have been an important part of my life, and quite inseparable! I am missing a good tool kit these days and it is unbearable.
Chawri Bazaar is where you need to go. You take the Metro, get down at the Chawri Bazar station, and between the station and Ajmeri gate all the hand tools shops are there.

There are two types of hand tools, those with chromium plating, which do not rust and those without, which will rust.

Before you go look up the Taparia online catalog, and make your preliminary shortlist, else you will be overwhelmed with the choice.

I never bought sets, but sockets and accessories individually
Your obsessions :
1. Done
2. Try the large professional phones, they are big, comfortable and expensive - start with 10K and go upto 50K+. Again look up online catalogs and agents in India.
3. Be careful of fountain pens. The quality of ink available today is quite bad. So you have to go in for really expensive ones. In case you do not use the pen regularly, the ink will dry up and clog the pen. I still prefer Parker, though if you really have the moolah, Mont Blank is the way to go.
4. I have a Rolex, but last year I got a Casio Quartz for Rs.1,100. It is waterproof to 100m, has day & date display and the outer bezel rotates - like a diver's watch. I use it to calculate elapsed time, a coarse stop watch.
5. That is some thing that you have to make your self, as I have yet to see one in the market. You buy a thick 3 core cable, preferably 10mm.square conductor each (5 meters is more than sufficient) and mate it to a wooden switch board. Nothing fancy, but capable of carrying lots of load. Use 15A & 20A MCB instead of switches and 16A dual purpose sockets.
Aroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2014, 13:33   #719
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Unlikely to be a fake. .....petroleum jelly (Vaseline), wiping off the excess......The Bosch set looks good.
Thanks DerAlte! Clear now. I will get the chrome plated ones, as Aroy suggests, with the hope that the plating doesn't flake off! And probably just the set of BOSCH make bits and not the whole set. It's up for sale too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Chawri Bazaar is where you need to go.... else you will be overwhelmed with the choice.

I never bought sets, but sockets and accessories individually
Your obsessions :
1. Done
2. Try the large professional phones, ....
Exactly! I have workable versions of the other four and I agree with everything that you have suggested!

I use a pair of Roland RH50 headphones now. For the fountain pen: Are the Wing Sung "Chinese Pens" still available these days? They used to be a craze, affordable ones, when we were at school. Never had money for the expensive ones....! I have a Parker now, with the ink cartridges. I "refill" the cartridges with a syringe and Sulekha ink from the late 80s!

The CASIO for me, ditto, and the extension cord: 15 years old, 8 meters, 3 core AC wiring cable, (3mmsq each wire), copper, 6 outlets with NO switch, just a master MCB and a 275V Varistor, after the MCB, (voltage surge protection) and a Schaffner common mode filter, salvaged from a busted piece of equipment! Plug bases are all porcelain/ceramic (with copper connections)...cracked these days, and there are no ceramic ones to be found in the market! Fortunately, ceramic seems to form a bond with cyanoacrylate quite favourably: so the broken pieces have been rejoined!

Thanks again!

Last edited by lapis_lazuli : 18th June 2014 at 13:43.
lapis_lazuli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2014, 22:43   #720
BHPian

Can the DIY crowd recommend me some adhesive to bond a velcro strip to a polyethylene sheet?

Is cyanoacrylate the way to go?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks