Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2014, 15:06   #691
AWD
BHPian

Re: Tools for a DIYer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
If you are a wood-working hobbyist, there is no substitute - saves you the grunt work.

Absolutely invaluable if you need to cut pipes, rods, plastic, wood, plywood (especially in irregular shapes and round holes) etc. Again, saves you the grunt work.

According to their website, there isn't any. That is because without a guide it will be difficult to get straight cuts which are absolutely essential in wood. This is primarily a metal preparation tool for industries and professionals.

The light-duty 4000 can at most do drilling (there are bits in the kit) and routing / edge forming (one has to buy separately). This is not a cutting tool.

The Dremel Trio is a better muti-purpose tool than the 4000. It works like a jig-saw, router and sander, probably a drill also at a pinch. Good enough for small home jobs.

LOL noooo the carpenters use it with the diamond stone cutting wheel since it cuts faster. And then those poor souls will spend even more time planing the rough (and most times, burnt) cut in the wood, instead of using a wood blade and cutting slowly without jamming or burning.

Conventional circular saws for wood operate at a lower RPM, and take blades of dia 5-1/2"-10", with 7-1/4" being the most common. The common small marble/masonry cutting saws use 4" blades, which is a very rare size in the wood-cutting world. If you can find the blades for wood, it is a good tool to have - a smaller circular saw. Or otherwise use the diamond blade but cut slowly to avoid burning. Can't mount a 5-1/2" or larger wood blade, since the torque needed will burn that small motor.
Agreed there won't be any alternative for a Circular Saw when it comes to doing wood.

So now Im keen on a Jig-saw on your recommendations!

Here's an intro on Dremel Saw Max:
& here's a link to Indian sales: http://www.machpowertools.com/dremel...ct-saw-saw-max
Under the Accessories guide, they have mentioned a Straight cut guide. Elec. won't be an issue.

Yes I thought so that Dremel 4000 might not be able to do tough cutting jobs.

For a Marble cutter, wood cutting blade is available for as low as 50/- locally. 4" that is. Just back from local tools dealer, he said in the same money as that for a circular saw, its better to buy a marble cutter + jigsaw. He maintained that Jig-saw will do wood & metal & marble cutter what its meant to...

A thing about Dremel tools, they have RPM settings too wherein one can adjust RPMs to suit ones needs. I could not find a 4" circular saw in the market, is there one ? IMO its just the marble cutter that is 4".
Old 21st January 2014, 16:34   #692
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
... For a Marble cutter, wood cutting blade is available for as low as 50/- locally. 4" that is. Just back from local tools dealer, he said in the same money as that for a circular saw, its better to buy a marble cutter + jigsaw. ...
The diamond blade will work on wood and metal, as long as you cut slowly. The wood blade is suspect - it might go blunt after every session.

Quote:
... I could not find a 4" circular saw in the market, is there one ? ...
I doubt it - I haven't seen one. 4" would have too less depth of cut for any serious use. Suitable only for <0.75"/19mm.
Old 21st January 2014, 23:00   #693
Distinguished - BHPian

It's car related, because one needs a torch in the car (and everywhere else) and I always keep on on my keyring --- until the attachment loop broke and was lost a couple of weeks ago. Thankfully, it had made as a separate part, so it was not the most difficult thing to recreate one.

The raw material: a heavy-duty staple from a carton!

The tools:

Tools for a DIYer-tools3.jpg

Tools for a DIYer-tools2.jpg

The replacement ring and where it needed to fit

Tools for a DIYer-keytorch1.jpg

Tools for a DIYer-keytorch2.jpg

Tools for a DIYer-keytorch3.jpg

Tools for a DIYer-keytorch5.jpg

Tools for a DIYer-keytorch4.jpg

And then... I screwed the two halves back together, and I have my keyring torch again.

Don't be too hard on me: I do not regard this as good work. I used to make jewelery, just as a hobby, and this, in terms of accuracy and neatness is real beginner stuff --- but I'm two or three decades out of practice. Which is how old some of those tools are. Back then, I'd have made the shape better and brazed the ends into a loop .

I'd have made it out of silver too, because that is what I would have had handy, not some old staple.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 21st January 2014 at 23:03.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2014, 15:01   #694
BHPian

Am looking for some wire to wire connectors for some DIY purposes. Here's a sample of what am looking for. Minimum requirement is one pair of leads. Any inputs will be appreciated.

thanks in advance,

Tools for a DIYer-wire-wire-connecctor.jpg
Old 22nd January 2014, 15:15   #695
Distinguished - BHPian

^ If you want to buy online, then this is the resource i use if i fail to get it at a local store:

http://kitsnspares.com (check element 14 there also)
Old 22nd January 2014, 15:19   #696
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
Am looking for some wire to wire connectors for some DIY purposes. Here's a sample of what am looking for. ...
Would be available in any electronics components / spares shop in the city. Ask for Molex connectors.
Old 22nd January 2014, 16:13   #697
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
^ If you want to buy online, then this is the resource i use if i fail to get it at a local store:

http://kitsnspares.com (check element 14 there also)
I've tried their site but this particular connector is not available through the search

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Would be available in any electronics components / spares shop in the city. Ask for Molex connectors.
Thank a ton sir, especially for the exact term to be asked I've already enquired in the spare shop but unfortunately I didn't have a sample or a pic to convince them.

Just came across a listing in Ebay, but they are having only 1 pair connector.
http://www.ebay.in/itm/2-pin-DIY-JST...a6be718&_uhb=1

Thanks again to both of you for the quick heads up.
Old 23rd January 2014, 10:46   #698
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ok so Marble tile cutter cuts across metal with proper blade but can it cut the word as good too ? Im a bit concerned on the wood part because wood cutting blades have teeth which can break away & that can be risky. This can be due to the fact that there's not much protection in the form of a cover over the blade.
Yes they have smaller blades than circular saws but I won't mind that because I'll be using for DIY jobs at home & not professionally.
If you need saw for mere HOBBY WORK then invest in good JIGSAW with variable speed. (Max cost shud be 4k)
If you are a DIY hobby woodworker then, budget and space permitting, I suggest that you invest in a COMPOUND MITRE SAW (SKIL is svailable for mere 14k) and one CIRCULAR wood saw (min price 4.5k for HITACHI).

While doing some wood projects, I have had frightening experience with marble cutter, being used as wood saw. This is safe in the hands of those carpenters who actually modify the base plate with thin sheet of ply for better working. However, if you can fix it (upside down) on table and make it a table saw then you are rather safe but the cutting depth gets compensated.

But if you are passionately into woodworking (NOT CARVING ETC) then buy STANLEY's backhand saws 13" " 17". Believe me they are much better than any power saw.

Raab rakha.
Old 24th January 2014, 14:02   #699
BHPian

Has anyone ever used a JIS bit screwdrivers. I'm asking this because my brake master cylinder has the JIS bit screws and those were stuck tight. A friend lent me his vessel bit set(purchased abroad) which had those bits and I was able to remove the screws in a jiffy.

Now I'm trying to purchase a set for my own use but unable to find anything. The shopkeepers give me weird looks and simply give me the Philips head bits... I googled and was unable to find any Indian site or supplier selling these...
And yes...using Philips bits on JIS screws will lead to stripping of the head sooner or later...

Some advise required....
Manoj2268 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2014, 14:16   #700
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The shopkeepers give me weird looks
Have one from me too!

I had no idea about this one and had to google.
Old 24th January 2014, 15:04   #701
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manoj2268 View Post
Has anyone ever used a JIS bit screwdrivers. I'm asking this because my brake master cylinder has the JIS bit screws and those were stuck tight. A friend lent me his vessel bit set(purchased abroad) which had those bits and I was able to remove the screws in a jiffy.

Now I'm trying to purchase a set for my own use but unable to find anything. The shopkeepers give me weird looks and simply give me the Philips head bits... I googled and was unable to find any Indian site or supplier selling these...
And yes...using Philips bits on JIS screws will lead to stripping of the head sooner or later...

Some advise required....
Ask for Star screw driver / set.
Old 24th January 2014, 17:55   #702
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manoj2268 View Post
Has anyone ever used a JIS bit screwdrivers. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ::CMS:: View Post
Ask for Star screw driver / set.
LOL Yes, perhaps asking for 'Star screw driver' will get you what you want - provided they don't give you Philips Head. Philips Head is *also* called 'Star screw driver'.

10-15 years back, all locally made Philips Head screw drivers *didn't* have the tiny fillet between the 4 flanges constituting the head. These used to work just fine with Philips Head screws. No, they weren't labelled "JIS bits" - it was because their tooling to create heads didn't have the fillet!

Look for India-made, not China-made, bits. You will most likely find it, even if you have to look at each set closely in 20 different shops.
Old 3rd February 2014, 18:10   #703
BHPian

Finally, I was unable to find any JIS Screwdrivers. Had to drill out my Front disc master cylinder screws(Nissin). Placed an order with a US based supplier and now am awaiting the shipment.

Funnily enough, i was cleaning out my motorcycle's carburettor (keihin) and i saw that all the plus shaped screws are JIS screws. It is clear now that improper use of tools lead to the stripping of the screw heads. either the ASC guys should have had the proper tools or Hero Honda should have Indianised the screws.
The JIS screws are identified by a round or a cross mark on the face of the screw.

one more query, where to find copper slip or copper grease required for brake overhauls. Cant seem to find nearby. maybe i do not know the local terminology. please help.
Old 4th February 2014, 09:11   #704
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
I don't want to drill a hole but grind some metal. This is the collector of my header and its not very good on the inside. I want to cut out the excess pipe and merge it as smooth as possible. With the limited space available i think only a flex shaft grinder would work. Do you think dremel is capable of smoothing this (the pipes which are not flush inside the collector) out?

Attachment 1161405
Finally its done. Done with a Dremel fortiflex and tungsten carbide bit, it easily grinds through steel. Smoothening was done with sanding drum. I did the collector the best i could, with a smaller handpiece i could have reached the insides more. After the pic was taken did the inside pipe bit more.
Tools for a DIYer-20140126_180147.jpg
Tools for a DIYer-20140126_180211.jpg

Also ground off a bit of excess piping which was obstructing the airlfow from the connector pipe and flushed the pipe entry.
Tools for a DIYer-20140202_120228.jpg

Use cut resistant gloves, cover your forearm, protective glasses, mask and cover your neck when high speed (what dremel is capable off) grinding/cutting. Otherwise tiny metal shavings would embed in your skin and the sensation would be similar to like what you experience after handling glassfibre without gloves. Keep a vacuum cleaner nearby to clean the work area during the process.
Sankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2014, 16:29   #705
Distinguished - BHPian

Brilliant. I was sceptical that a Dremel in an inexperienced hand could accomplish this.

Apologies to you and the dremel! Great job
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks