Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2020, 20:29   #2191
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tools for a DIYer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I think that chain wrenches are intended for use on heavy steel pipe. I also think that both chain and strap wrenches have that pivot point which is always going to pinch?
That is how it works!

Quote:
I have a strap wrench like the above, with a canvas strap. If I remember rightly it has some non-slip stuff applied to one side.
Belt dressing.

Quote:
They can even manage non-round and irregular shapes.
Preferably convex.

Lore has it that one can use a fanbelt in an emergency. Never got the hang of it.

Sutripta
Old 10th June 2020, 19:03   #2192
Senior - BHPian

I plan to upcycle this Arielmatic2L can design (love it!) and plan to saw the top off to a neat finish and use it as a flower pot. Always trusted Stanley, so will this 10inch mini-saw suit the purpose to nicely fashion it? There were so many options that I got confused. Need something sharp but with a solid hold. Thanks in advance
Attached Images

Sebring is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2020, 19:31   #2193
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
That is how it works!
Quite, but that is also what means it will damage anything soft.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
I plan to upcycle this Arielmatic2L can design (love it!) and plan to saw the top off to a neat finish and use it as a flower pot. Always trusted Stanley, so will this 10inch mini-saw suit the purpose to nicely fashion it? There were so many options that I got confused. Need something sharp but with a solid hold. Thanks in advance
Just thinking out loud...

Sure the hacksaw blade (in any sort of holder, even a hacksaw ) will cut it. So, probably, will lots of other things. Maybe a saw is not the best idea, as it will leave a rough surface. That will get worse as the saw snags for most of the cut (remember the 3-teeth-in-contact rule). So maybe a sharp knife is a better idea?

How about a hot knife?
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 10th June 2020, 19:57   #2194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Knife + Heat on flame.

Easiest/cheapest way.
AbhiJ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2020, 23:26   #2195
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
Knife + Heat on flame.
Old knife! And lots of ventilation. Heating plastics can give off deadly fumes.

Another simpler thought: pierce with the point of a knife, and finish the cut with scissors. Practice on some other bottles first.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2020, 14:57   #2196
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
Knife + Heat on flame.

Easiest/cheapest way.
Get a pen knife or a hobby crafts knife, cuts easier on bottles like these and no need to heat either.
Rocky_Balboa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2020, 16:01   #2197
BHPian

Quote:
Don't cut the jar. The top is actually screwed on but there are locking teeth to prevent removal. You can overcome them by using a large set of adjustable pliers to turn the top (not the dosing cup) and remove it.
Motard_Blr is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2020, 13:22   #2198
BHPian

hello everyone,
I am looking for a set of good quality Axle Stands/ Jack Stands. Being an amateur, I usually have no qualms about non-branded or Chinese tools, but I don't want to take chances here.
So far, I have come across jack stands from Penta and Bluepoint, but they both have a ratcheting mechanism.
Are there any other major brands which make jack stands which lock in place by a locking pin?

Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 12:39   #2199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohh!Oxygen View Post
@R2D2 . This is Hertz EP4
@Prowler I am going to hook it up to a spare car battery and see how it sounds
Once lock down is over I am planning to get this
https://www.electronicscomp.com/powe...t-power-supply
Mission completed. Thanks ton for the help.
348 watts power supply it is. Hooked up two channels with both my floor standing speakers and crossed other two for my ported sub woofer(10 inch car sub).
Fills up my 14X20 ft lounge with enough sound. Lows sound better than my car even if the woofer is rated at 2 amps.

Tools for a DIYer-capturesp.png
Ohh!Oxygen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 15:20   #2200
BHPian

Quote:
I plan to upcycle this Arielmatic2L can design...
Hope to see the finished product here soon
Old 2nd July 2020, 15:35   #2201
Senior - BHPian

Sure. Due to rising Covid numbers in SouthBengaluru, and neighbours'/peoples careless attitudes all around, I've shifted residence to our native town. I guess these activities will be for another day
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
Hope to see the finished product here soon
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 09:00   #2202
RMN
BHPian

Hello everyone!

Any recommendations for a budget torque wrench? Also how much would it cost for a one of acceptable quality?
Old 8th July 2020, 09:18   #2203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMN View Post
Hello everyone!

Any recommendations for a budget torque wrench? Also how much would it cost for a one of acceptable quality?
Look up MacMaster Torque wrench in Amazon. Decent quality for the prices.
Manoj2268 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 21:54   #2204

Quote:
Always trusted Stanley, so will this 10inch mini-saw suit the purpose to nicely fashion it? There were so many options that I got confused. Need something sharp but with a solid hold. Thanks in advance
Stanley sells cheap garbage in India, at least that's what my experience was 3 years back. Bought this very hack saw, liked the design and idea, and fancied the Stanley name. The concept is good, but the execution is pathetic - very light and flimsy. I used it once and it's lying unused ever since in my tool box. The sharpness depends on what blades you use. The one that comes with the piece wouldn't last you long. This might come in handy when the typical D-shaped hack-saw frame wouldn't do the job, ie, when you need to poke the blade inside the cut that you making. Otherwise you are much better off investing in a solid steel hacksaw frame.
Bought a Stanley nose-plier as well, was covered in surface rust after a months time in our humid climate here. The third Stanley product - a long AC tester is as good as any cheap Chinese junk. Give me Taparia any day. Did drop a mail to Stanley India deriding their product quality. I am still to hear from them. So, they are garbage, customer support wise as well.
ElonSkum is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th July 2020, 12:32   #2205
BHPian

I am a big fan of DIY stuff and with this extended lockdown thought I could use the time to arrange all my tools neatly in a corner in the garage. I had always been a fan of pegboard based tool racks, as prevalent in western countries, but currently with limited finances it was out of the question. I decided to make something off the old stuff I had laying around.

This is the final product:
Tools for a DIYer-img_9434-1.jpeg

The list of major power tools I have are:

1. Drill (Bosch GSB 500RE)
2. Angle Grinder (Bosch GWS600)
3. Jigsaw (Black & Decker KS900EX)
4. Rotary Tool (Dremel 4000)

Here is the time lapse of building this tools station.

chiro3110 is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks