Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2020, 12:20   #2146
BHPian

Re: Tools for a DIYer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
My garage had been quite unorganised!

Started getting it organised. Sorting screws, hanging tools etc.
Wow! What a setup! this is not a garage but a full fledged in-house workshop
Aafaq is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2020, 22:51   #2147
BHPian

I had a some plywood lying around, and the dogs needed a feeding station/wter station. We had a iron stand for the water bowls, they used to slide around on the tiles while the dogs drank water. Also, iron corrodes and stains the tiles.

I did some miter cuts glued it up, rounded off the corners and applied a clear coat. A much better DIY solution, compared too what we had before. Tools for a DIYer-20200425_191545.jpg

Last edited by GutsyGibbon : 28th April 2020 at 22:53.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th April 2020, 12:04   #2148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
I had a some plywood lying around, and the dogs needed a feeding station/wter station. We had a iron stand for the water bowls, they used to slide around on the tiles while the dogs drank water. Also, iron corrodes and stains the tiles.
Wonderful ! I have similar kind of bowls and I glued one bowl to a ceramic tile so that the dog won't play with the bowl when he is bored. The iron stand was useless as the dog will play toss.
I like your feed station. What will happen when water comes in contact with the plywood ? Won't it start degrading ? You have given a coat of paint. But will it be sufficient ?
Thanks GutsyGibbon
Prowler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2020, 17:45   #2149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Wonderful ! I have similar kind of bowls and I glued one bowl to a ceramic tile so that the dog won't play with the bowl when he is bored. The iron stand was useless as the dog will play toss.
I like your feed station. What will happen when water comes in contact with the plywood ? Won't it start degrading ? You have given a coat of paint. But will it be sufficient ?
Thanks GutsyGibbon
I am not sure how long it will last. I have coated it with oil based polyurethane. The dogs have been spilling some water over it every day, and water beads up and stays on the surface. Just like oil based paint. We'll see how long this material will last.
Old 29th April 2020, 22:21   #2150
Distinguished - BHPian

The surfaces will be fully protected by the varnish. There will be no degrading. Corner edges look well made and similarly protected. Only edges will be at risk. Hope the bottom edge is well varnished against floor-washing water!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2020, 22:52   #2151
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
The surfaces will be fully protected by the varnish. There will be no degrading. Corner edges look well made and similarly protected. Only edges will be at risk. Hope the bottom edge is well varnished against floor-washing water!
The hole cut in the center, and the bottom edge expose the sides of the plywood. I put 2 coats of varnish in these places. I thought about adding small rubber bumpers, 2mm thick. That would keep the feeder anchored to the tile, and keep the bottom edge off the floor. The way the dogs are using it, it is only getting pushed up against the wall, so I did not add the bumper. Perhaps I should do that for version 2 of this feeder.

Right now, I am focussed on designing a dry dog food/kibble feeder. Something that dumps a preset/measured amount into the bowl. Something like this
GutsyGibbon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2020, 12:11   #2152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
Right now, I am focussed on designing a dry dog food/kibble feeder. Something that dumps a preset/measured amount into the bowl.
She did a great job in that dry food feeder. But it is not automatic. Someone still has to pull that lever. I have been toying with a solenoid operated feeder that can release some dry food. Only issue is my dogs don't like the dry food available here.
Even the automatic water dispenser I made for my earlier dogs didn't work long. The dogs put their paws and muddy the water.
Sorry about the long rant. I like automation - but the problem I face is my pets don't cooperate.

Last edited by Prowler : 30th April 2020 at 12:12. Reason: removed the video link
Prowler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2020, 16:30   #2153
BHPian

This is the best place to put my questions.
I have a 4 channel amplifier (with cables) and a 10 inch sub from one of my past cars. Sound was so sweet that never felt like disposing them.
Fast forward 3 years and repeated warnings from wifey, I am planning them to use them as my secondary home theatre.
It has 4 channels, so I will power two floor standing speakers from two channels and then cross the other two channels to power the sub.

The image has the power ratings for the amp.
Any pointers on what should be the power rating of the input supply and any ecommerce links to procure them? One idea is to get it to a computer shop and check if an SMPS can do the job.
Attached Thumbnails
Tools for a DIYer-ep4.png  

Old 1st May 2020, 07:17   #2154
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohh!Oxygen View Post
The image has the power ratings for the amp.
Any pointers on what should be the power rating of the input supply and any ecommerce links to procure them? One idea is to get it to a computer shop and check if an SMPS can do the job.
I think you should get a linear AC/DC adaptor instead of a SMPS which may, depending on the quality of its construction, inject switching noise into your amplifier and to the audio output.

Based on the specs ("musical" power output which is an unusual term, which may be another word for peak output, I am not sure) below I'd recommend a ~400 W 12 V DC output adaptor that has some extra juice for peak power transients to prevent clipping. You may find it difficult to source a ready made adaptor with this output. You can contact an electronics dealer or repair shop to have one custom made for you. Also make sure you use power cables of the correct gauge.

Also, most car audio amps are designed to take speakers of 2-4 Ohms impedance while home audio/home theatre speakers are generally between 4-8 ohms or higher. So please check your speaker impedances as well.

PS - what make and model is this amp?

Last edited by R2D2 : 1st May 2020 at 07:23.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2020, 11:32   #2155
Senior - BHPian

Audio requires a relatively hum free power supply. So if you use SMPS you will need to filter out the harmonics else they will interfere with audio.

Regarding power 28A x 14,4V gives 400W, factor in the efficiency and other losses a 600W (not VA) power supply will do. From my experience with UPS power rating, a 1000VA rating translates to 600W. (dont ask me how they get that)
Aroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2020, 12:45   #2156
BHPian

Quote:
Any pointers on what should be the power rating of the input supply and any ecommerce links to procure them?
As R2D2 and Aroy sirs have mentioned try to source a linear power supply of around 400 W at 12 V. But there is a caveat. A standard linear power supply would use 12 V transformer rated at 20 A or so. The quiescent current for your amplifier is less than 100 mA which means the no load voltage would rise to almost 16.9 V which might exceed your maximum input voltage which would result in catastrophic failure of your amplifier.

In a similar situation, I remember many eons ago, we used a 12 V 35 AH car battery to feed the amplifier coupled with a 12 V @ 10 A power supply. The peak load can easily be supplied by the battery. We had no clipping at any point . Usually the base frequency in a music would draw the high current.
If your power supply can't supply the required current, whenever there is a base drum, the amplifier will bottom out.
Prowler is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2020, 13:44   #2157
BHPian

Quote:
...10 inch sub from one of my past cars. Sound was so sweet...
... I am planning them to use them as my secondary home theatre.
Even if you do manage to power the amp/speakers from your household mains, I doubt it is going to sound as good as in your car. This has a lot to do with the acoustics of the car cabin versus the acoustics of your room. Before you spend a lot of money, you could just try powering it with a fully charged car battery for a while to check if you still like the sound.

You may want to check out this thread (The Home Theater thread) for more answers.
mvadg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2020, 15:52   #2158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
1. What else should I add?
2. Is there lighter stuff I can replace something here with?
3. Good multitool recommendation? I got recommended the Leatherman Wave with the bit driver extender. Looks really awesome.
Thanks for the links. I had added the exact same multimeter to my amazon.com wishlist. Aliexpress make is even easier.
You've got pretty much everything covered. My suggestion is to add a pair of work gloves and a headlamp.
The Leatherman wave is like the holy grail. Gerber suspension is a cheaper alternative but you lose out on the bit drivers.
Jaguar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2020, 15:57   #2159
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Thanks for the links. I had added the exact same multimeter to my amazon.com wishlist. Aliexpress make is even easier.
You've got pretty much everything covered. My suggestion is to add a pair of work gloves and a headlamp.
The Leatherman wave is like the holy grail. Gerber suspension is a cheaper alternative but you lose out on the bit drivers.
Hey, thanks for that. I have the headlamp. Work gloves s are on my list. Been using latex so far but it’s not sustainable.

Yes, will start saving up for the leatherman. Have resurrected my cheap as chips Stanley multitool for the moment.
Old 4th May 2020, 09:26   #2160
BHPian

@R2D2 . This is Hertz EP4
@Prowler I am going to hook it up to a spare car battery and see how it sounds
Once lock down is over I am planning to get this
https://www.electronicscomp.com/powe...t-power-supply

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks