Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2019, 18:51   #2056
Distinguished - BHPian

Just to add to these electrical torque wrenches, or pneumatic ones. I would never recommend torquing anything with them to a specific value. Most cant anyway, but some have different settings. They are simply not accurate enough. They are great for undoing bolts/nuts and installing and pre torquing. But I always use a proper, calibrated, manual torque wrench to the whatever the required torque needs to be.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2019, 10:48   #2057
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tools for a DIYer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Oh, fine. Tool Acquisition Syndrome. I know it well.

Enjoy!
Too many is never enough But quality tools only since they are for life. Be it power tools or hand tools. Half the tools (handtools) in my collection belonged to my father, which he used to buy as needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Wow Nice!! The smaller one would be useful to handle in tight areas. The bigger one would be brute force

How much did it cost you from from where did you purchase it?
I bought from Makita authorised dealer. They often give better price than online in India. This has been my experience with power tools with Makita, Bosch, Skil etc. Only Dremel was cheaper online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Nice ones, always good to have two!
Jeroen
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motard_Blr View Post
This is what we use: https://www.bosch-pt.co.in/in/en/pro...250-06019D81F0

Same torque as the Makita.

The biggest benefit is the speed of tightening fasteners in production. That makes a big difference when there are hundreds of fasteners to tighten. We always check M10 and larger fasteners for tightness after one bad experience.

Wheel nuts world not be a problem for tightness since they have fine threads, not the usual coarse threads of standard fasteners. They tighten with less torque.
Makita 285 has 30NM more than Bosch EC250. That is 3kg more and should make a difference. But in a production environment it is always best to double check, be it Bosch or Makita.

Quote:
Just to add to these electrical torque wrenches, or pneumatic ones. I would never recommend torquing anything with them to a specific value. Most cant anyway, but some have different settings. They are simply not accurate enough. They are great for undoing bolts/nuts and installing and pre torquing. But I always use a proper, calibrated, manual torque wrench to the whatever the required torque needs to be.

Jeroen
Totally agree, power tools is best used for unfastening and the final tightening/check should always be done by a torque wrench. That said these Makita tools and its three torque/power settings are accurate when compared against a calibrated torque wrench. Probably due to the fine control possible by microprocessor inside on these new gen brushless tools. If in a spot it should work.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2019, 00:23   #2058
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
The 3000 1/25 was about Rs 1K off IIRC during the lightning deal. The main advantage of the kit being the 225 flex shaft and the Dremel holder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
I got the Dremel 3000 and the Flexi Shaft for Rs. 6500.

R2D2 Sir was busy when I told him about the sale, he got delayed and that actually benefitted him. By the time he ordered, the 1/25 kit was back in sale from Cloudtail and he got for Rs. 6100 IIRC.
The Dremel 1/25 kit is now available in Amazon for Rs.5788. After the SBI discount, I ended up paying 5210. Now, the wait begins
Jaguar is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2019, 03:38   #2059
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm in England, and, although there is no big shipping list on the budget for what is a short visit, I will buy...

A set of wood drills. The flat kind, spade drills? The ones I have are horrible: they seem to be softer than sawdust!
Old 1st October 2019, 06:14   #2060
BHPian

Quote:
As it so happens, I am in Dallas, USA this week on business. I got up at 0400am this morning as that is 11.00am my time. Of to the Starbucks and by 0600am the Home Depot opens. Love roaming around these huge DIY stores. Got very good selection of tools and just about every gadget you can imagine and then some more. Just a few piccies to give an impression
Home Depot and Lowes have a DeWalt 12" Double Bevel sliding compound Miter saw on sale now. It used to be $600 now it is $349. I picked up mine this summer. It is has been a very joyful summer. I have built a queen size bed, an outdoor sofa, and a tool shed to house all my tools. If you are looking for a miter saw - this is it, look no further.
Quote:
That's nice. What is the reasoning for buying two?
All the big brands sell the impact wrench and the drill as a kit. I am guessing one of them used as a drill does not have an impact feature. I have a brushless DeWalt wrench and a drill. It is super easy if one has both. You drill a pilot hole in the wood with the drill, and then you drive a screw with an impact wrench. Else, you need to change the tool bit for every screw. Also, it is impossible to drive a 3.5 inch screw without impact (using a drill). Imagine building something big with hundreds of such screws.

Last edited by GutsyGibbon : 1st October 2019 at 06:28.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2019, 10:56   #2061
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
Home Depot and Lowes have a DeWalt 12" Double Bevel sliding compound Miter saw on sale now. It used to be $600 now it is $349. I picked up mine this summer. It is has been a very joyful summer. I have built a queen size bed, an outdoor sofa, and a tool shed to house all my tools. If you are looking for a miter saw - this is it, look no further.

US electrical tools are no good to me. Theirs is still 110VAC whereas I live in 220VAC Europe.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st October 2019, 18:29   #2062
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
The Dremel 1/25 kit is now available in Amazon for Rs.5788. After the SBI discount, I ended up paying 5210. Now, the wait begins
Congrats, it's one heck of a handy tool kit to have for a DIYer.

Guess it's that time of the year, the festive season and all that. But I have this very, very silly upgrade bug biting me. A full set of new power and hand tools.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2019, 19:32   #2063
Distinguished - BHPian

Do we get replacement boxes for those 40-bit sets ?
Old 1st October 2019, 20:01   #2064
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
All the big brands sell the impact wrench and the drill as a kit. I am guessing one of them used as a drill does not have an impact feature.
Since the original Q was asked to me let me intervene. Both are 1/2" drive impacts and they are not part of kit. Both were bought bare.

And thats why Thad asked...

Quote:
That's nice. What is the reasoning for buying two?

Last edited by Sankar : 1st October 2019 at 20:05.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2019, 20:32   #2065
BHPian

Quote:
All the big brands sell the impact wrench and the drill as a kit. I am guessing one of them used as a drill does not have an impact feature. I have a brushless DeWalt wrench and a drill. It is super easy if one has both. You drill a pilot hole in the wood with the drill, and then you drive a screw with an impact wrench. Else, you need to change the tool bit for every screw. Also, it is impossible to drive a 3.5 inch screw without impact (using a drill). Imagine building something big with hundreds of such screws.
The kits nearly always are of Drill and Impact Driver. This is an impact wrench we are talking about and not an impact driver. I too have the 1/2 Brushless Dewalt Combo kit which one of my friends from Canada carried down for me.
An impact driver is suited for driving down screws and not nuts and bolts at high torque settings like Impact Wrenches. I broke off one of the socket adapters when trying to unscrew a wheel lug nut with my impact driver. Also, with most self drilling screws these days, there is usually no need to pre-drill into soft wood. In hard wood, I still prefer to drill a smaller dia hole prior to screwing with the impact driver. In the 4200sq ft shed we built last year, all the GI corrugated sheets were screwed down directly onto the hollow steel pipes with the impact driver and self drilling roof screws without any pre-drilling.
rdst_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2019, 23:57   #2066
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So, I didn't have to wait long. The item got delivered today. The box was sealed and everything looks fine but then it looks like this
Tools for a DIYer-dremel_1.jpg
Tools for a DIYer-dremel_2.jpg
Should I ask for a replacement or is the QC only this much?
Old 2nd October 2019, 01:45   #2067
BHPian

Quote:
So, I didn't have to wait long. The item got delivered today. The box was sealed and everything looks fine but then it looks like this

This looks like an used piece. Better ask for a replacement.

The cost has increased to 6999 now.

I had placed it in my cart, but didn't buy...
Old 2nd October 2019, 02:20   #2068
BHPian

Re: Tools for a DIYer - My tool shed

This summer I built a tool shed in my backyard. I needed a place to store all my tools and a mobile workbench for easy setup. The workbench houses a compressor for a brad nailer, a bucket head vacuum for dust extraction, power cords, skill saw, vice and a miter saw. The workbench also has a wing on one side so that I can cut the typical 8' lumber easily.
I have installed solar motion sensing lights on the outside. On the inside I installed motion sensing lights with solar panel installed on the outside. The shed itself is built out of pressure treated lumber and has shingle roofing. A very amateur build, but very much functional and customized for my needs and space constraints.

It has been super easy to pull out the work bench and start building something in a jiffy. This summer, I have built an outdoor sofa, queen bed, side table with storage, mobile music cart, wall hangings and such. Earlier, I used to spend most of my time setting up and cleaning up all the tools (and saw dust).

Tools for a DIYer-shed.jpg

Last edited by GutsyGibbon : 2nd October 2019 at 02:24.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2019, 12:56   #2069
Senior - BHPian

A generous friend from Australia brought this for me a few days back.

Tools for a DIYer-img_20191002_085944.jpg
blackasta is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th October 2019, 09:28   #2070
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It is not a used piece. In the second pic, the dab of silver paint is there on my Dremel too. It's a QA mark. Don't worry. About the first pic, I am not sure. Get it replaced if it makes you unhappy but it's only a cosmetic issue.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks