Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2020, 03:06   #2116
BHPian

Re: Tools for a DIYer

Hey DIYers, I recently built a cart for my table saw. The saw slides out and rises to the height of the workbench. In this config, the workbench serves as an out feed table. I have added a bench vice to the back of the cart and few other minor mods after taking these pics.
Tools for a DIYer-tablesawcart.jpg
It has been super easy to setup and start ripping large pieces of plywood. Thanks to this cart, I built a utility cabinet in the laundry room in one weekend flat.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 8th January 2020, 18:12   #2117
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
Hey DIYers, I recently built a cart for my table saw. The saw slides out and rises to the height of the workbench. In this config, the workbench serves as an out feed table. I have added a bench vice to the back of the cart and few other minor mods after taking these pics.
It has been super easy to setup and start ripping large pieces of plywood. Thanks to this cart, I built a utility cabinet in the laundry room in one weekend flat.
Must say, that's a smartly designed item! Very practical layout. How about covering the ply with laminate or some similar material on key surfaces? Will protect the panels a bit against silly splashes/age wear perhaps?
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2020, 20:45   #2118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Must say, that's a smartly designed item! Very practical layout. How about covering the ply with laminate or some similar material on key surfaces? Will protect the panels a bit against silly splashes/age wear perhaps?
Absolutely! All surfaces have a polyurethane clear coat. After I took this picture, I have added another coat on the top surface/work area.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2020, 17:00   #2119
BHPian

Quote:
Hey DIYers, I recently built a cart for my table saw.
Beautiful work mate. I have been wanting to build myself a proper table saw for proper timber logs sometime now complete with a raising and sliding table. I even have the major components bought for sometime now including some very nice Freud blades but haven't gotten around to completing the design and commissioning it. Mine will be for big logs of wood though. Currently I have a 4HP single phase motor that we were using in my Indian Multipurpose wood planer/ cutter but it was getting bogged down when we were attempting to make 3 inch+ cuts. So I might upgrade to a 10HP 3 phase motor for my eventual design.
Any decent option from a good brand costs a couple of lakhs in India but I am hoping to get mine made for around 50-60k.
rdst_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2020, 20:36   #2120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdst_1 View Post
Beautiful work mate. I have I even have the major components bought for sometime now including some very nice Freud blades but haven't gotten around to completing the design and commissioning it. Mine will be for big logs of wood though.
Thanks. Just curious, what do you do with these logs?

Tools are not expensive in my state, but raw materials like Teak wood or Mahogany is very expensive. I make small things from exotic woods, or furniture from cheaper wood. Workbench is ideal for that. Below is a 3D cube cutting board made from Maple, Walnut and Mahogany

Tools for a DIYer-20191226_154240.jpg

Last edited by GutsyGibbon : 9th January 2020 at 20:37.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 9th January 2020, 23:12   #2121
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
... a 3D cube cutting board made from Maple, Walnut and Mahogany
What a beautiful thing!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2020, 11:03   #2122
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Tools are not expensive in my state, but raw materials like Teak wood or Mahogany is very expensive. I make small things from exotic woods, or furniture from cheaper wood. Workbench is ideal for that. Below is a 3D cube cutting board made from Maple, Walnut and Mahogany
that is just too beautiful!

Have to stop getting excited about stuff like this... Or will get sucked into this new hobby!
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2020, 11:39   #2123
BHPian

Quote:

That is one awesome cutting board. I am running through our cutting boards every few weeks. I use a meat cleaver for everything which ends up chipping the soft wood.
In stateside everything is available. From here we can only drool at all the tools you and Jeroen have.
Prowler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2020, 12:09   #2124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
That is one awesome cutting board. I am running through our cutting boards every few weeks. I use a meat cleaver for everything which ends up chipping the soft wood.
In stateside everything is available. From here we can only drool at all the tools you and Jeroen have.
Thanks. I was actually thinking, had I lived in India I would have been able to buy teak and rose wood. I buy my raw material from exotic wood store. Last week I found some reclaimed rose wood. I am thinking I will use it for a serving tray that I plan to make for my mom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
that is just too beautiful!
Have to stop getting excited about stuff like this... Or will get sucked into this new hobby!
Thanks! The smell of wood is addictive. I started woodworking last year. Not sure if it is an appropriate hobby for a software engineer. I need all my fingers to be productive. While woodworking with power tools, one pays for a bad idea or a design bug with an eye or a finger It will certainly be my hobby of choice in retirement.

Last edited by GutsyGibbon : 10th January 2020 at 12:36.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th January 2020, 01:17   #2125
BHPian

Quote:
I picked up this hobby while we were building our house in Himachal. All our false ceiling is made from wooden planks. I could have gotten the logs cut into planks at the timber merchant itself but since we were getting so much more work done apart from the ceiling, it made sense just buying the multi purpose machine we get in India. I hired the wood workers for the house job, but I got sucked into the hobby. Also collecting machines and tools have also become a hobby as it is very helpful at my farm. I have a 1HP drill press and a simple welding machine as well which we use to fabricate whatever we need.
The table saw is just something that was needed but the local guys were extremely comfortable working with these crude machines.
Honestly, I probably don't need a big table saw now, considering I have big timber mills just 5 minutes from my house, but these small table saws from Dewalt/Bosch are pretty expensive in India. I saw a local table made by a local fabricator with a blade popping out being run by a motor and this was a big place going through hundreds of boards a day. That contraption he was willing to make for me for just 8k and I could probably make it at my place (since I already have the machines needed) for 3-4k. Sure it was a simple machine, but it was pretty great for the job of cutting boards.

Quote:
Below is a 3D cube cutting board made from Maple, Walnut and Mahogany
That is just beautiful.
I don't know what timber costs are in US, but I think they should be comparable considering how much wood they use over there. I was getting Teak logs in Chandigarh for around Rs. 2000/cu ft. And Cedar was also similarly priced for the legal stuff in Himachal, which is what we used for the doors and windows. Douglas Fir, what we used for the ceiling was half that price.
rdst_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2020, 03:36   #2126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdst_1 View Post
I don't know what timber costs are in US, but I think they should be comparable considering how much wood they use over there. I was getting Teak logs in Chandigarh for around Rs. 2000/cu ft. And Cedar was also similarly priced for the legal stuff in Himachal, which is what we used for the doors and windows. Douglas Fir, what we used for the ceiling was half that price.
Thanks very much, this information is very useful for me. 1 sq ft of 1 inch teak wood costs $25 to $30 in California. That makes it approximately 12 times more expensive than the price you get. Next time I visit India I am going to try buying some teak and rose wood.

Yeah the houses here use Douglas fir for framing and that is very inexpensive. (compared to teak)
Old 11th January 2020, 15:43   #2127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
I use a meat cleaver for everything which ends up chipping the soft wood.
I had the same problem till I got a thick (1 1/2") cutting board made from one end of a Teak Plank (Door frame piece I got from my neighbourhood contractor). It is 14" x 7 1/2". One side for vegetables and the other for meat with cleaver.

The best is to get a tree trunk piece as used by butchers in Delhi. A 12" or 15" round with at least 12" high is ideal. I am still on a look out for an inexpensive piece.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2020, 16:56   #2128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
The best is to get a tree trunk piece as used by butchers in Delhi. A 12" or 15" round with at least 12" high is ideal. I am still on a look out for an inexpensive piece.
Exactly. I found one in Amazon - about 15 inch round trunk. I am waiting for my local timber depot to source one locally. It would be ideal for us - carnivores. We can continue to use the soft wood cutting board for vegetables.
Old 13th January 2020, 01:55   #2129
Distinguished - BHPian

For those using prescription glasses and have an issue wearing a second layer of safety glasses on top.

Found an online seller selling prescription safety glasses.

Bought a pair and I'm very happy. Polycarbonate lenses on them and super fast delivery.

https://www.himalayaoptical.com

PS: I have no commercial deal with them.

Tools for a DIYer-img_2262.jpeg

Tools for a DIYer-img_9367.jpeg

Tools for a DIYer-img_9747.jpeg
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th January 2020, 00:25   #2130
BANNED

Found magneto puller and clutch holder for my P220 and CT100B at a shop named Karthik at Chentitta, Trivandrum.

Tools for a DIYer-20200114_154414.jpg

Total cost for all 4 tools was about 1k.

Cheers,
A.P.
ashwinprakas is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks