Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2020, 17:15   #2266
BHPian

Re: Tools for a DIYer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdst_1 View Post
We used our impact driver to drive in 3-4 inch screws in our roof rafters between eucalyptus and fir.
Another place where an impact driver helps is when you can't apply any force of your own which is required when using a drill driver to push in screws.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
But I rarely use them for drilling as the RPM is way too low for most drilling operations. I have a proper electric (hammer) drill for that.

Obviously, when working on concrete/stone walls I would drill a hole and use a plug, but I would still use the Bosch to drive in the screw.
I'm looking to build up my tool set for some DIY projects around the home. For some casual drilling (putting up pictures etc in concrete walls) to a few basic DIY projects (basic woodwork), would you recommend the DEWALT DCD776S2? It has some really good reviews internationally and seems to be good for my requirements (looking for something that will last a long time with proper care).

Meanwhile also a few questions if anyone can help:

1. What would the benefit of a brushless motor be?

2. Also when would an impact driver be required?

3. Do I need special drill bits for a hammer drill?

4. And finally are battery operated drills like the DeWalt one above powerful enough to drill into concrete?

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help.
Old 23rd August 2020, 18:13   #2267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4ch View Post
I'm looking to build up my tool set for some DIY projects around the home. For some casual drilling (putting up pictures etc in concrete walls) to a few basic DIY projects (basic woodwork), would you recommend the DEWALT DCD776S2? It has some really good reviews internationally and seems to be good for my requirements (looking for something that will last a long time with proper care).

4. And finally are battery operated drills like the DeWalt one above powerful enough to drill into concrete?

It seems to be a good option but do check out reviews and prices of competition from other brands as well.Also, if you have the option to get someone to carry a kit for you from US, then please wait as Indian prices are astronomically higher. I got my Drill and Impact combo kit from US for 18k while it would have cost me 50k in India with smaller batteries.

1) A brushless motor doesn't require change of carbon brushes but for casual usage that factor won't come into play.

2) No need to invest in an impact driver for now as a drill is most important tool that you definitely need. So see if you can get away with using only a drill. As Jeroen has pointed out above, a drill is probably all one needs.

3&4)A simple hammer drill will only be enough for brick masonry and not reinforced concrete for which one requires a rotary hammer drill and special drill bits. Otherwise too, you'll need a set of specific drill bits for wood, metal and masonry seperately.

If you can get away with using a corded drill, then i would suggest picking up a cheap Bosch combo set which comes with the drill and different types of drill bits and a few other assorted accessories.This was my first drill machine kit and good enough for most casual jobs around thehouse.
https://www.amazon.in/Bosch-Reversib...ustrial&sr=1-4
rdst_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2020, 19:30   #2268
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

1) A brushless motor doesn't require change of carbon brushes but for casual usage that factor won't come into play.
]
In addition brushless motors produce much more torque per volume and weight. But they are more expensive.
Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2020, 20:26   #2269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

1) Maintenance free for life. No carbon brush to change. Much better battery life over brushed variant and more torque.

2) For concrete and masonry you need a rotary hammer. A hammer drill will work but you will tire yourself and the drill (been there , wouldn't want to go there again).

3) You will get masonry bits to drill into concrete and masonry. If you are choosing rotary hammer the drill bit would be a masonry SDS plus (for entry level machines a DIYer would use) bits.

4) Most definitely 18volt battery drills are very powerful when compared to a similarly rated corded mains drill.

If your main use is drilling into walls and such get a rotary hammer. If its mainly wood work and plastic buy a normal drill. But, you can use rotary hammer with a SDS plus to Chuck conversion and use regular drill bits in "Drill only" mode for wood, plastic and metal.
  • If main use is mainly masonry/concrete stone etc choose a rotary hammer. Dont even think about hammer drill.
  • If main use is wood/plastic/metal choose a regular hammer drill. It can drill into plastered brick work with not much problem. But if you encounter a concrete beam or pillar be prepared to tire yourself and the drill.

https://www.familyhandyman.com/artic...hammer-drills/

Local store can often match or better price, so check out local before buying online. If you can extend your budget this is a good entry level model Bosch GBH 180-LI Brushless, it is a solid model I have one.

Last edited by Sankar : 23rd August 2020 at 20:28.
Sankar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th August 2020, 15:00   #2270
BHPian

Quote:
It seems to be a good option but do check out reviews and prices of competition from other brands as well.

Quote:
In addition brushless motors produce much more torque per volume and weight. But they are more expensive.
Jeroen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
1) Maintenance free for life. No carbon brush to change. Much better battery life over brushed variant and more torque.
Thanks everyone really appreciate your responses. In that case I may go for the next model up in the DeWalt range which has a brushless motor, it's only a few thousand more.

The prices here in India are slightly more than in Europe, but of course considerably more expensive than the USA.

Thanks again for your help.
Old 27th August 2020, 10:17   #2271
BHPian

Quote:

I have had a DeWalt DCK277C2 combo kit (DCF787 impact driver and DCD777 drill) for couple years now. In my hands they endure a lot of abuse, like leaving them outdoors for days. I have not had to do any maintenance on it. It ships with two 1.3aH batteries, charger and a bag. Sometimes the entire combo kit it is on sale for less than $150. DeWalt has a few combo kits of essentially the same product with different chuck sizes, belt clips, number of LEDs, and battery sizes - with varied pricing. I would buy any of them that is priced well and buy a bigger battery separately. DeWalt made a good name with these combos, and are some of their best tools.

Most take 1/4" impact driver bits, and the DeWalt product line has a $10 driver bit kit, and a $10 drill bit kit. With these you are covered for all kinds of applications involving wood and sheet metal. You can buy a titanium concrete drill bit separately. Having application specific bits extends the life of the bit.

Impact drill helps you drive screws easily through knotty wood, or remove rusted screws easily. It is also easy to insert and remove a bit.

The batteries are certainly powerful to drive through concrete. Some of these drivers ship with 1.3AH batteries. They seem to last forever, when you are driving screws into wood or drywall. As with any LiIon batteries they are sensitive to external temperature. Without a battery level indicator, you would be unsure of the amount of charge left. So, you may ed up charging too soon, too many times and end up killing the battery. After the first year or so, it would be good to invest in a 4AH, or a 3AH battery. They sell these in packs of 2. I recommend getting these bigger batteries.

One good thing about these batteries is that you can buy DeWalt tool only (sans battery) for any other tool needs. Sander, circular saw, router etc. The batteries work with any 20V DeWalt Max tool.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 16:45   #2272
Distinguished - BHPian

My ordinary domestic (Blue) Bosch drill will take on concrete and brickwork using the hammer setting. It is fine for what I need, which probably won't involve more than two to four holes.

The heavy-duty Bosch green machines may get the hole drilled with less effort, and, of course, handle bigger holes, but on the negative side is carrying and handling a much heavier machine.
Old 27th August 2020, 17:59   #2273
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
My ordinary domestic (Blue) Bosch drill will take on concrete and brickwork using the hammer setting. It is fine for what I need, which probably won't involve more than two to four holes.

The heavy-duty Bosch green machines may get the hole drilled with less effort, and, of course, handle bigger holes, but on the negative side is carrying and handling a much heavier machine.
If you have a blue Bosch you have the heavy duty version. my Bosch is green and those are the DIY versions!.

https://www.coolblue.nl/en/advice/bo...osch-blue.html

Even though mine is just the DIY variant, I am happy to report it does quite well on concrete and brickwork in and around the home. To your point, I usually drill just a few holes at a time.

Jeroen
Old 27th August 2020, 20:55   #2274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diogo View Post
I too am planning to get one, any suggestions on model/brand a small scale DIY jobs at home?
I have heard a not so favourable opinion about the foreign brands from repair guys (guys who repair these power tools) as the spares are hard to come by.

I have most of my tools from Ralliwolf, sourced from a local physical shop. The only exception is the Jigsaw that I ordered online.

My experience with power tools: Unless you are experienced in their use, have good strength and proper jigs to use them conveniently, they should be avoided.

Even a jigsaw has a potentially deadly throwback if not used correctly. A jig to help keep it in place is an absolute must.

For the planer, I used it on my bedroom door which has slightly swollen due to the rains and so doesn't close. The planer was ok to handle. I am thinking of a jig to convert it to a jointer, as I shall seldom use it as a hand tool.

The angle grinder I shall most likely use to power other tools through a pulley type mechanism. Again a jig or two.

Had a nasty experience with the angle grinder as I was cutting a bit of plywood with it. The saw blade got stuck into the ply and the piece of ply flew away with a loud bang. The problem with the grinder is the switch to power it on / off is located barely inches away from the cutting wheel. On the other hand, the blade might not have got stuck if the grinder were hand operated (like they show in the youtube videos).

After buying all these power tools and having tried them all, a drill machine and a circular saw would probably be the only ones really necessary for home DIY projects.

A power drill saves so much of time compared to a manual one. And a circular saw helps cut down plywood sheets to smaller sizes. If a local carpenter can oblige you with this, forget the circular saw too. And there's little else that hand tools cannot do. A hacksaw can work just as well.
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 23:23   #2275
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If you have a blue Bosch you have the heavy duty version. my Bosch is green and those are the DIY versions!.
Oh heck, now I've got Bosch Dyslexia!

Mine is definitely a domestic Bosch.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 23:59   #2276
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

You dont pay attention!
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-d...ml#post4346217 (Tools for a DIYer)

Sutripta

Last edited by Sutripta : 28th August 2020 at 00:02.
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2020, 09:22   #2277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Had a nasty experience with the angle grinder as I was cutting a bit of plywood with it. The saw blade got stuck into the ply and the piece of ply flew away with a loud bang. The problem with the grinder is the switch to power it on / off is located barely inches away from the cutting wheel. On the other hand, the blade might not have got stuck if the grinder were hand operated (like they show in the Youtube videos).
That is not the problem with using an angle grinder. The problem is that you are using a completely wrong tool. An angle grinder is made to work with metal and has a high RPM of 10-11000. The tool made to work with wood is called a circular saw with RPM in the 3000-3500 range. Just substituting the blade on the angle grinder to a wooden one is not enough to turn it into a wood saw.
rdst_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2020, 20:19   #2278
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't have an angle grinder. I know they get used with cut-off discs, but I also don't think that they should be used as a saw,

One of my favourite youtubers, Steve Summers, an engineer/machinist by trade as well as by hobby, happened to mention in a recent video, that both the nasty accidents he had had with tools happened when using... angle grinders.
Old 28th August 2020, 21:36   #2279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
. The planer was ok to handle. I am thinking of a jig to convert it to a jointer, as I shall seldom use it as a hand tool.
Be VERY VERY careful - I lost about a quarter inch of my right thumb from trying to joint a short board using a planer in this exact same way. That was painful for months, and the blood loss made my right palm go numb, blue n wrinkled.
blackasta is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th August 2020, 00:53   #2280
Distinguished - BHPian

I've said this recently, but it seems right to say it again. Power planers are recognised as being incredibly dangerous. All the more so because, unlike a big, toothy circular saw, they don't look it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks