BHPian

Re: Tools for a DIYer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Stanley crimping pliers are available for Rs 250-300

http://www.amazon.in/Stanley-Crimpin.../dp/B00L3Z75P4

Even with terminals, its 550 on amazon

http://www.amazon.in/Stanley-Crimpin.../dp/B00ICIKH6E
I have this Stanley crimp tool with me, but the crimp length (along the wire length) is very less (may be 2mm?). Result is not very good if I have a longer ring connectors to crimp.
Old 9th May 2017, 07:53   #1517
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
Wow, he is really serious with the hobby of his. Kudos to him.
One thing that came to my notice is that with that low clearance in the roof, he has to be super careful with that car lift.
Yes, he is very careful and meticulous with his work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Does he run his own garage or is this just for his own hobby? Looking at the collection, its far more sophisticated than an average neighborhood garage. Does he let people use the tools(for a rent though) and perform some DIY repairs?
He runs a hobby garage 😁. He was a Genset Engineer all along (the reason I know him). He had the set of tools to service cars part time in Canada. He is now back in India and does work for friends and family. Nope he does not rent the tools.
manishalive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th May 2017, 11:52   #1518
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

I need to buy a Square drive socket set. This is to work on my old Fiat. Which one would be the best for use. Square drive is much better than the normal ones.

I stanley a good brand for these. And do we have a physical store in Bangalore giving the best deal or is ti better to buy online.
Old 16th May 2017, 12:55   #1519
eko
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Guys,

I stanley a good brand for these. And do we have a physical store in Bangalore giving the best deal or is ti better to buy online.
Stanley is a relatively new brand in India. I have seen Stanley for sale in Reliance outlets among others. You can also try Jhalani,Everest,Taparia etc which are reputed brands . You have hex and bi-hex sockets. Hex will be good for heavy duty use.
eko is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2017, 13:52   #1520
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have some tools from Stanley and they are of good quality and durable too. Apart from stanley, I have a few spanners and screw drivers as well as hex bits from Taparia which again are excellent too. Hence, I would recommend these two brands. There are a lot of other brands as well as chinese replicas. Some chinese replicas are so bad that one tight turn and either the bit shaves off or cracks open. I had the misfortune of ordering a bit set from Ebay branded as Jackley or so. That was the worst tool purchase I ever made.

If you are in Bangalore, its best to visit SP Road and take a look at the options. Even if you are paying a little more, you will be provided with quality options and investing a little more money is always good in the longrun for such tools.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2017, 14:47   #1521
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eko View Post
Stanley is a relatively new brand in India. I have seen Stanley for sale in Reliance outlets among others. You can also try Jhalani,Everest,Taparia etc which are reputed brands . You have hex and bi-hex sockets. Hex will be good for heavy duty use.
Thanks, currently have mix of Tapadia and Gedore 12 point sockets. Actually Hex is a good idea. I will get those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
If you are in Bangalore, its best to visit SP Road and take a look at the options. Even if you are paying a little more, you will be provided with quality options and investing a little more money is always good in the longrun for such tools.
Thanks bro, have been going there often (all the way from Whitefield railway station). Will go for set by Tapadia or Gedore. Just that I wanted to save that drive.

I think I should make a big list before I go there so that I benefit a lot.

By the way I am also looking for pure zinc strips for home DIY galvanizing of hardware. Where do I get that, I was unable to find that in SJP road.

Along with that need the Yellow chromate solution. Wonder where we buy chemicals in Bangalore.
Old 17th May 2017, 12:52   #1522
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

I need to buy a Square drive socket set. This is to work on my old Fiat. Which one would be the best for use. Square drive is much better than the normal ones.

Quote:
Thanks, currently have mix of Tapadia and Gedore 12 point sockets. Actually Hex is a good idea. I will get those.

Thanks bro, have been going there often (all the way from Whitefield railway station). Will go for set by Tapadia or Gedore. Just that I wanted to save that drive.

I have not bought much for the last 40 years. What I had bought during my college days - Gedore sockets are still going strong. In fact I have both Metric sizes (8mm -32mm) as well as the American sizes (3/8" to 1 1/2")

What drive size are your existing sockets - 1/2" 3/8" or 1/4"?

If they are 1/2" and you have the accessories - ratchet, extension bits etc, then Taparia or Jhalani will be the best bet. Stanley used to be a good brand but they are no match to the professional stuff sold by Jhalani (erstwhile Gedore) and Taparia.

BiHex sockets are most versatile, but in case the nuts are bit rounded Hex will be better. In case there is ample space you can go for longer Hex sockets.
http://www.technocart.com/products/h...d-8011100.aspx

You can also get some "Swan Neck" or deep offset ring spanners. These have a deeper shank and are excellent at "hard to get" spaces.
https://www.toolbox37.co.uk/collecti...t-6-22mm-fb701
https://www.tolexo.com/ajay-8-pieces...1.html?wgt=SRP

This is one spanner that pays for itself when you are trying to access the Dynamo / self starter in a cramped space
Tools for a DIYer-gbtoolsstarter_manifoldspannershalfmoongb1144_14.jpg

https://www.tolexo.com/gb-tools-star...9.html?wgt=SRP

Last edited by Aroy : 17th May 2017 at 12:56.
Aroy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th May 2017, 11:49   #1523
Senior - BHPian

So I got my Demel last week and Its almost as good as a Dremel. Extremely happy with the purchase, bought another one

Tools for a DIYer-img_20170513_222752001.jpg
SunnyBoi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2017, 14:33   #1524
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So I got my Demel ...
Don't forget the full-face protection.

Due to the extreme danger of grinding wheels braking or shattering, I'd be a little extra cautious of a fake-brand product.

I wouldn't use a grinding tool without goggles, at least, anyway.

A brain cell tells me that we might have had this conversation before and that you are well aware of the dangers. Anyway, worth mentioning for the benefit of others.

What was the cost/source of the tool?

My Dremel survived immersion in the Chennai flood I was only slightly disappointed that I didn't have to shop for a new one.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th May 2017, 11:35   #1525
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Gedore sockets are still going strong.
What drive size are your existing sockets - 1/2" 3/8" or 1/4"?
I too inherited Gedore sockets from my father (some missing ones were replaced by Tapadia).

Quote:
If they are 1/2" and you have the accessories - ratchet, extension bits etc, then Taparia or Jhalani will be the best bet.
Yes that's the plan.

Quote:
BiHex sockets are most versatile, but in case the nuts are bit rounded Hex will be better.
I currently have bi hex, so a hex is what I am planning for, since at times the bolts are stubborn. Also I need ones like this.

Tools for a DIYer-single-hex-socket.jpg

This one loads the sides of the bolts and not the edges, thus helping preserve the edges, much needed for Fiat scripted original bolts.

Quote:
You can also get some "Swan Neck" or deep offset ring spanners. These have a deeper shank and are excellent at "hard to get" spaces.
This is one spanner that pays for itself when you are trying to access the Dynamo / self starter in a cramped space
Luckily I do not have space concern in an old car .

Quote:
So I got my Demel last week and Its almost as good as a Dremel. Extremely happy with the purchase, bought another one
looks good, How much was this for Sunny, I have original Dremel, now my friend needs one so this may be an alternative.

Also buy eye protection for sure, gloves, mask and ear muff.

Some 20 years ago drilling on a car I had a small iron shaving gone in my eye. I was lucky that I could feel that in my eye and that before it got toxic it was removed. Ever since I have had worn PPE always.
Old 19th May 2017, 11:54   #1526
Senior - BHPian

Here is my Hex socket, 40+ years vintage

Tools for a DIYer-lsc_3028.jpg
Tools for a DIYer-lsc_3029.jpg
Tools for a DIYer-lsc_3030.jpg

An invaluable tool for extracting jammed studs

Tools for a DIYer-hsc_6562.jpg
Tools for a DIYer-hsc_6563.jpg
Tools for a DIYer-hsc_6564.jpg

Circlip pliers
Tools for a DIYer-hsc_5884.jpg
Tools for a DIYer-hsc_5885.jpg
Aroy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th May 2017, 23:56   #1527
BHPian

Looking for a socket set. Any feed back on King Tony brand? Force? Tuftul? Eastman?

http://www.industrybuying.com/socket...HA.DR.1625386/
http://www.industrybuying.com/socket...HA.DR.1616556/
http://www.industrybuying.com/socket...HA.DR.1626900/
http://www.industrybuying.com/socket...HA.DR.1574997/

Hex and bi-hex options? What are the practical differences?
Old 20th May 2017, 00:13   #1528
eko
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingh View Post
Looking for a socket set. Any feed back on King Tony brand? Force? Tuftul? Eastman?
I prefer Eastman. It is popular also in middle east. They are in Indian market for sometime.

Last edited by eko : 20th May 2017 at 00:41.
eko is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2017, 07:48   #1529
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingh View Post
Hex and bi-hex options? What are the practical differences?
Bi Hex for general use, Hex for stubborn bolts and heavy duty. Also using hex every time doesn't hurt so can buy that.

As others have suggested me, buy only reputed brand. Tapadia or Jhalani. Eastman I have heard them as well.
manishalive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2017, 10:03   #1530
Senior - BHPian

Inherited this tool from a friend's grandfather. Can some one tell me what it is and where is it used

Tools for a DIYer-lsc_3035.jpg

Current home for my sockets and accessories
Tools for a DIYer-lsc_3031.jpg

some of my longer tools
Tools for a DIYer-lsc_3032.jpg

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 20th May 2017 at 10:39. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please edit the previous post within the 30 minute window to add more contents to it. Thanks!
Aroy is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks