Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2017, 09:43   #1621
BHPian

Re: Tools for a DIYer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

The amp meter is a nice idea. The inductive thingy would be good, but I don't think I can get it in India.
Kill-a-watt meter is like this: http://alchemy-media-marketing.com/h...r-monitor.html

As per their description : Power Monitor displays the Voltage, Ampere and Watt used by the connected appliance. It can also record your power consumption over time. This will let you calculate what appliances are drawing the most energy and having the biggest impact on your power bill. It can also help you determine when you use most and least power. All this helpful information can be displayed on the LCD display and you can even have it calculate your carbon-dioxide emissions volume.
Prowler is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2017, 18:31   #1622
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The amp meter is a nice idea. The inductive thingy would be good, but I don't think I can get it in India.

The problem with three-phase total monitoring would be taking heavy cable to panel-mounted meters on a movable door. My dangerometer doesn't like that idea. Not at all!
If you spend more, then instead of connecting the Ammeter directly, use a current transformer (CT), as they do in Industry. The power wire goes through CT and its output powers the meter.

https://www.ttiinc.com/content/ttiin...el-Meters.html

http://www.ebay.in/itm/YOKINS-Moving...7.m48543.l9013
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2017, 19:28   #1623
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone have recommendations for heat resistant gloves? I want a pair of gloves which I can use to handle 200-250* parts without my hands getting burnt.
Old 16th August 2017, 21:45   #1624
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
If you spend more, then instead of connecting the Ammeter directly, use a current transformer (CT), as they do in Industry. The power wire goes through CT and its output powers the meter.

Can I use a current transformer like this to power a pilot light like this.

How would I know which to pair with which? Reminder: the pump is 240v, 7.5A, single phase.

Sorry for the dumb questions.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 16th August 2017 at 21:47.
Old 17th August 2017, 01:29   #1625
BHPian

Am looking for a rain water diverter like this. Saw this in Frankfurt Airport. I have a leaking roof where rain water drips in and messes the washing machine placed below. The roof has a sliding door to get to the terrace in our service area.
I tried aliexpress but couldnt find it there. Planning a DIY with simple tarpaulin sheet and a garden hose adapter if finding one at a reasonable price becomes difficult.
Attached Thumbnails
Tools for a DIYer-1502913400208.jpg  

Tools for a DIYer-1502913429055.jpg  

Tools for a DIYer-1502913451460.jpg  

Old 17th August 2017, 01:39   #1626
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Does anyone have recommendations for heat resistant gloves? I want a pair of gloves which I can use to handle 200-250* parts without my hands getting burnt.
Can't think of anything else other than those welding gloves. Never used a pair but I've seen contract personnel in our shipyard holding work pieces using these gloves while welding. It is made of leather thus withstands heat. It isn't a snug fit like the surgical gloves but works well.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2017, 09:39   #1627
BHPian

Quote:

How would I know which to pair with which? Reminder: the pump is 240v, 7.5A, single phase.
As per the technical data from one of your current transformers, it might supply about 37 mA when the primary passes a current of 7.5 A. This might be enough to light up a LED. You will have to fashion a LED with a series resister to connect to this. You can house the LED in a defunct pilot light case. If you ask me, you would be better off connecting your motor through a Kill-a-watt monitor than resorting to all this.
The power monitor will also tell you how much of power consumed with respect to the time the device is connected.

I have connected my refrigerator to one such device and it tells me quite useful information - a normal refrigerator consumes about 650 units in a typical year as against 330 units consumed by an inverter refrigerator. All values extrapolated of course.
Prowler is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2017, 19:40   #1628
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Don't. Bad idea.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2017, 09:22   #1629
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
High temperature resistant gloves were always made with material impregnated with Asbestos, which is now practically banned. You can search the net for asbestos gloves.
Leather gloves will provide resistance for a few seconds only, so may not work if you want to handle high temperature objects for more than a few seconds.
http://www.shreefirepackindia.com/as...nd-gloves.html
http://www.amazon.in/s/?ie=UTF8&keyw...l_9in6n2ot1y_e

Quote:

Sorry for the dumb questions.
Actually you do not need any exotic hardware. Get a CT which can drive a 1A meter. When current flows through the wire, the CT will also have voltage developed in it and that can drive any lamp. To limit the current use a suitable resistance in series.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2017, 19:59   #1630
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Actually you do not need any exotic hardware. Get a CT which can drive a 1A meter. When current flows through the wire, the CT will also have voltage developed in it and that can drive any lamp. To limit the current use a suitable resistance in series.
As I said, a bad idea. CTs are not meant to drive high impedence loads. In fact one is supposed to short CT outputs if the load (say ammeter) is removed, but the CT is still on a current carrying bus.

In any case I think TEG is overthinking it.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2017, 00:48   #1631
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
In any case I think TEG is overthinking it.

I'm desperately trying to underthink it with the simplest possible way of putting an indicator lamp on this end of a wire that has a self-switched device at the other end!

Preferably for a hundred rupees too!
Old 20th August 2017, 11:39   #1632
BHPian

Quote:
I'm desperately trying to underthink it with the simplest possible way of putting an indicator lamp on this end of a wire that has a self-switched device at the other end!
Thad on a separate note, I have a MI Power Strip which has wifi connectivity. I don't know the wattage of your motor or the amperage but this chap has a phone app that shows you power consumption in real time. You don't need to move from your seat and can monitor usage from anywhere. You will know it is running by the power consumption. Cost is about 1000rs for a socket and 1500 for a power strip. Have a look at it.

Edit: saw you have mentioned 7.5A and the socket will work upto 10A

Last edited by diyguy : 20th August 2017 at 11:45.
Old 20th August 2017, 13:16   #1633
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks diyguy, but still too much tech, too expensive, and does not perform in the simple the simple way of a pilot light. Anything I have to interact with over and above noticing it is not fulfilling the requirement.
Old 20th August 2017, 14:16   #1634
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
What would be it's minimum height?
135 mm is the height from the base to the top of the saddle.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2017, 14:43   #1635
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
... a pilot light. Anything I have to interact with over and above noticing it is not fulfilling the requirement.
The best thing so far that the internet offers me is this:

Tools for a DIYer-p4_t_cvsensors_csi_acci.jpg
AcuAMP ACL1 current indicator.

Whilst it is true that $12 is a lot more than Rs.100 and it might cost a lot more if I source it from USA, it does exactly the required job. I have not yet found an India-sourceable equivalent, not even from RS. Cobbling it together is probably ill-advised, as I do not understand the underlying principles.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks