Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2017, 21:03   #1501
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tools for a DIYer

Among the things that I collect are things like whisks in the kitchen, pumps (for water drainage) in the garden and, of course, screwdrivers and screwdriver sets for the tool collection.

Frankly, I was really thinking about this being a rather nice collector's item, with its smart wooden box, than useful expenditure of so much money.

ifixit 128-bit Universal Bit Kit
In a nice oak box.

Yesterday, though, I actually used one of those bits, of a type I don't have in any other set, and had actually never seen before

As I tell my wife: Within reason (of course mine may differ from hers) if a tool is invaluable just once, it has paid for itself.

General comment on the kit though: I like the bits, I like the box, but I don't think much of the handles. They are designed to look good. At least the larger one should be a useful ratcheting handle. But that's OK: I'll admire the looks of the "CNC Machined aluminium" handles and use something else!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2017, 15:38   #1502
eko
BHPian

A recent addition to my DIY tools collection. A stethoscope for mechanics. I am seeing it for the first time in my life and immediately bought it. Can pin point source of noise, especially in engine where there are plenty of rotating parts. Is made in Taiwan. Purchased from Jubail in Saudi Arabia.
Attached Thumbnails
Tools for a DIYer-imag1792.jpg  

Last edited by Rehaan : 9th May 2017 at 10:41. Reason: Please use spaces after punctuation marks (not before). Thanks.
eko is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th May 2017, 18:10   #1503
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eko View Post
A recent addition to my DIY tools collection. A stethoscope for mechanics. I am seeing it for the first time in my life and immediately bought it . Can pin point source of noise,especially in engine where there are plenty of rotating parts. Is made in Taiwan.Purchased from Jubail in Saudi Arabia.
Would you elaborate a bit more on how this is used?
Sure looks like a stethoscope used by doctors !
Old 7th May 2017, 18:16   #1504
eko
BHPian

You can see near the 2 ear pieces in picture, there is a small metal probe. This has an removable extension which is on the left side of the picture.

The ear piece goes in like normal, and the probe has to touch the part being inspected.

Last edited by Rehaan : 9th May 2017 at 10:40. Reason: Please use spaces after punctuation marks (not before). Thanks.
Old 7th May 2017, 19:35   #1505
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A recent addition to my DIY tools collection. A stethoscope for mechanics. I am seeing it for the first time in my life and immediately bought it . Can pin point source of noise,especially in engine where there are plenty of rotating parts. Is made in Taiwan.Purchased from Jubail in Saudi Arabia.
Damn cool this is. Very few guys have knowledge about tools and pick up good ones. This is one if them. Here is one picture of my friends workshop in ground floor of his house.

I see every imaginable tool with him. He does mend cars as a hobby.
Attached Thumbnails
Tools for a DIYer-1494165569374.jpg  

Tools for a DIYer-1494165618023.jpg  

Tools for a DIYer-1494165694831.jpg  

Tools for a DIYer-1494165755598.jpg  

manishalive is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th May 2017, 20:13   #1506
BHPian

Quote:
As said by eko, it is a very useful tool to pinpoint and identify various noises from an automotive engine. That said, there is a cheap alternative which would serve the purpose - a long screw driver !
Position the tip of the screw driver to the particular part of the engine you want to inspect and hold your ear against the handle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Damn cool this is. Very few guys have knowledge about tools and pick up good ones. This is one if them. Here is one picture of my friends workshop in ground floor of his house.

Wow, he is really serious with the hobby of his. Kudos to him.
One thing that came to my notice is that with that low clearance in the roof, he has to be super careful with that car lift.
adrian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2017, 01:02   #1507
Distinguished - BHPian

As a child I saw, in Black&White war movies, ship's engineers using listening devices to check on the condition of bearings, etc. My father explained to me what they were doing and why.
Old 8th May 2017, 01:28   #1508
BANNED

Added another tool to my collection.

Got an open barrel crimping tool yesterday. Thanks to BHPian Sudeepg, who helped me just in time. Can't thank you much for the trouble taken to courier it to me. Also he sent me some terminals and connectors too.

Item cost is IIRC 850

Attaching an image :

Tools for a DIYer-img20170427wa0062.jpg
Old 8th May 2017, 02:27   #1509
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You can see near the 2 ear pieces in picture , there is a small metal probe. This has an removable extension which is on the left side of the picture. The ear piece goes in like normal , and the probe has to touch the part being inspected.

It's a good idea to practice a lot with this tool. Listen to a lot of parts on various engines, so you get some feel on how they are sounding. Sometimes it might be obvious what you are listening too, other times you might just not know whether it sounds ok or not. Just like doctors who learn to use their stethoscopes, the more you use it, the more useful it becomes.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2017, 08:41   #1510
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post

Does he run his own garage or is this just for his own hobby? Looking at the collection, its far more sophisticated than an average neighborhood garage. Does he let people use the tools(for a rent though) and perform some DIY repairs?
Old 8th May 2017, 09:40   #1511
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Got an open barrel crimping tool yesterday.
Is this available online? Any link for the same? I have seen in local stores but were very expensive ones.
Old 8th May 2017, 09:54   #1512
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
Is this available online?
Am not sure if this is the same as what I purchased last year for crimping my ethernet cables at home. Got it from Amazon for under 200rs
Edit: oh well noticed mine is different
Attached Thumbnails
Tools for a DIYer-1494217444345.jpg  

Last edited by diyguy : 8th May 2017 at 09:58.
Old 8th May 2017, 10:05   #1513
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
Is this available online? Any link for the same? I have seen in local stores but were very expensive ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Am not sure if this is the same as what I purchased last year for crimping my ethernet cables at home. Got it from Amazon for under 200rs
Stanley crimping pliers are available for Rs 250-300

http://www.amazon.in/Stanley-Crimpin.../dp/B00L3Z75P4

Even with terminals, its 550 on amazon

http://www.amazon.in/Stanley-Crimpin.../dp/B00ICIKH6E
Old 8th May 2017, 12:31   #1514
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Stanley crimping pliers are available for Rs 250-300
Hi SunnyBoi,

I believe its similar/same as following used for un-insulated terminals

Tools for a DIYer-crimpingtool.jpg

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free...b-87d60971e490

Regards.
Old 8th May 2017, 13:27   #1515
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Hi,

LAN and telephone socket crimper is different from the one being discussed here.

-Ilango

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks