Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2020, 21:49   #2251
BHPian

Re: Tools for a DIYer

I use my impact driver with a 6" impact driver bit a lot. A great application of impact driver is pocket holes. The bit that ships with pocket hole jigs (Kreg) are for impact drivers. It is so incredibly easy to pop these bits in and out, that anything else would be a royal pain. I use it so much that I ended up buying a massive DeWalt battery pack (compared to stock that ships with driver). It can be used with all 20V DeWalt cordless tools, the bigger battery packs also have a battery level indicator LEDs. This battery gets its most use on the impact driver, and cordless circular saw.

Last edited by GutsyGibbon : 17th August 2020 at 21:51.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2020, 22:56   #2252
Senior - BHPian

Building a basic frame from reclaimed rebars. Shall be putting some mesh wiring on it to create a barrier for the dogs, preventing them from climbing up on cars.
This would be my first proper welding project.

Tools for a DIYer-img_20200815_122138.jpg

Tools for a DIYer-img_20200816_125456.jpg

Tools for a DIYer-img_20200816_132717.jpg
blackasta is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th August 2020, 02:52   #2253
BHPian

One thing that has gotten easier for my family, is picking a gift for me, for Father's Day, birthday and such. I got this sweet circular saw for Father's Day, from my dear wife.

Tools for a DIYer-saw.jpg

Bonus was that Lowes had a Father's Day deal where I got a bigger 3AH battery with charger free ($120 worth) with any DeWalt cordless tool. It always sucks to have your tool run out of juice midway through some task. These bigger batteries have a neat LED battery level indicator on the battery. This way I can plan tasks based on the battery capacity.

Tools for a DIYer-driver.jpg

Last edited by GutsyGibbon : 19th August 2020 at 03:06.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th August 2020, 08:40   #2254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manoj2268 View Post
How many of you have or use an impact screwdriver regularly?

What is to be looked in one when buying? Are the bits any different? Also, any specific brand that majority swears by?
Went and bought CIC impact screwdriver for 550 odd rupees. It has a removable head and can accomodate 1/2" Sockets.

Common impact sockets nos 10,12,14,17 and 30 mm.

Allen key sockets 5,6 mm

C clamp 4 inches for 100 odd rs and 24/27 and 30/32 wrenches.

Phew!
Old 19th August 2020, 09:57   #2255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manoj2268 View Post
Went and bought CIC impact screwdriver for 550 odd rupees. It has a removable head and can accomodate 1/2" Sockets.

Common impact sockets nos 10,12,14,17 and 30 mm.

Allen key sockets 5,6 mm

C clamp 4 inches for 100 odd rs and 24/27 and 30/32 wrenches.

Phew!
Oh, Were you referring to the manual impact driver where you use a physical hammer for the impact action? I had totally forgotten about this nifty tool.
I thought you were asking about electric impact drivers. I believe all replies to your posts are referring to the electric impact drivers.

Last edited by Holyghost : 19th August 2020 at 10:01.
Holyghost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2020, 13:43   #2256
BHPian

Yes. My bad that I did not explain clearly. I looked for Eastman or taparia but the dealers did not have them in stock.

I got this one and a extra bit set thrown in from a shop in chawri bazaar. All in all, a very good deal. This is very heavy and undid the countersunk disc rotor bolts in 2 hits.
Old 19th August 2020, 15:32   #2257
Distinguished - BHPian

So here is my little impact screw driver. Very simple, very effective.

Tools for a DIYer-img_8196.jpg

Tools for a DIYer-img_0562.jpg

I use my little Bosch electrical screwdriver for just about everything:

Tools for a DIYer-img_8433.jpg

The other day we were doing some work on the floors in my sons appartment.

I use the Bosch to drive these 7cm long screws into wooden beams without any problem or pre-drilling.

Tools for a DIYer-img_6645.jpg

Not sure how large/thick a screw needs to be, to warrant an electrical impact screw driver. Or how hard the material needs to be? What kind of DIY job requires that kind of force?

These days I will only pre-drill if there is a risk of the wood splitting, or any potential damage or so. Otherwise, just use the good ol trusted Bosch and drive it in!

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 19th August 2020 at 15:35.
Jeroen is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2020, 19:17   #2258
BHPian

This Bosch device which you are calling an electric screwdriver is actually a drill. I have a similar Bosch one but 12V. I am surprised that you could drive those screws so easily as these don't even seem to be of the self-drilling variety. Any idea what kind of wood it was.
We used our impact driver to drive in 3-4 inch screws in our roof rafters between eucalyptus and fir.
Another place where an impact driver helps is when you can't apply any force of your own which is required when using a drill driver to push in screws.

Last edited by rdst_1 : 19th August 2020 at 19:31.
Old 19th August 2020, 19:33   #2259
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdst_1 View Post
This Bosch device which you are calling an electric screwdriver is actually a drill. I have a similar Bosch one but 12V. I am surprised that you could drive those screws so easily as these don't even seem to be of the self-drilling variety. Any idea what kind of wood it was.
Well, actually we call it a accuschroefboormachine

https://www.hornbach.nl/shop/zoekres...oefboormachine

Which means battery screw drill machine.

But I rarely use them for drilling as the RPM is way too low for most drilling operations. I have a proper electric (hammer) drill for that.

These come in a nice storage box complete with various screw bits, not drill bits!

Not sure what kind of wood. Main beam supporting a floor. I have used it for all our DIY screwing around the house. From simple plywood, to different kinds of laminated stuff.

Obviously, when working on concrete/stone walls I would drill a hole and use a plug, but I would still use the Bosch to drive in the screw.
Old 19th August 2020, 19:36   #2260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Well, actually we call it a accuschroefboormachine

https://www.hornbach.nl/shop/zoekres...oefboormachine

Which means battery screw drill machine.
Do you have to use any force when driving in a screw into wood with this?
Old 19th August 2020, 19:44   #2261
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdst_1 View Post
Do you have to use any force when driving in a screw into wood with this?

Not much. The trick is to have the correct screw head and respective bit. As you can see these are torx. You just stick the bit in, push a bit whilst pulling the speed/rpm trigger and it will go in just fine.

In many of the DIY places boxes of screws will be sold with a complementary screw bit. I try not to ever use old fashioned slotted screws. Especially with electric screwdriver you always run the risk of it slipping out. Especially at high torque and high forces. And that means you end up sticking the drill bit into your brand new kitchen cupboard/wardrobe/sofa etc!

Take care!

Drill and screw safely!
Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2020, 20:02   #2262
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm aware of the manual impact driver. I've never owned or used one, but, according to my understanding, it is a tool to free up rusted or otherwise stuck screws.
Old 19th August 2020, 21:23   #2263
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone used this Tiger Wrench? From just the looks, appears a nifty thingy to have in the car or motorcycle tool-box. I don't, however, see any familiar brands! Are these really worth the price around 600/- a piece?

tia,
-BJ
Old 19th August 2020, 23:45   #2264
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
Has anyone used this Tiger Wrench? I think they are designed for Fathers'-Day Gift Givers.
Probably most of them get lost at the back of those dads' cupboards. I would go for a socket set and three sets of spanners (open, ring and combination).
Old 20th August 2020, 00:02   #2265
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I'm aware of the manual impact driver. I've never owned or used one, but, according to my understanding, it is a tool to free up rusted or otherwise stuck screws.

Yes, it is very good for that very purpose.
Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks