Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2021, 11:25   #2371
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tools for a DIYer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
What are these called and where to buy them?
I had in 2017 purchased from eBay if I recollect. It took nearly a month for it to get delivered and I think it was shipped from China then.

What I bought was 1:4 and for a pack of 10, I had paid a little over 600/- then of which only 3 were used and I still have 7 more that am sure will come to use in future.

Tools for a DIYer-img_20210215_112700.jpg

Amazon has a listing of this product but looks quite expensive now.

Last edited by paragsachania : 15th February 2021 at 11:29.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th February 2021, 12:09   #2372
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingh View Post
I've used this connector rail solution to join wires around the house that need extension.I've also used it to join damaged/cut wires.
Is there a better way to accomplish the same? Or a more efficient way?
Quote:
What are these called and where to buy them?
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
What I bought was 1:4 and for a pack of 10, I had paid a little over 600/- then of which only 3 were used and I still have 7 more that am sure will come to use in future.

Attachment 2121773
You may search for Wago (Its the brand name I guess) on amazon or other market places. Reproducing one such listing here. This one is priced in line with what has been quoted by @paragsachania

On a separate note, This seems like a superb and elegant solution for a common problem. Thank You @paragsachania.

Last edited by roamer012 : 15th February 2021 at 12:11.
roamer012 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2021, 12:19   #2373
BHPian

Please suggest a suitable tool for the easy removal of push up clips. If possible please post a link to buy the same.
Attached Thumbnails
Tools for a DIYer-img_20210215_121830.jpg  

Old 15th February 2021, 12:24   #2374
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpzonwheels View Post
Please suggest a suitable tool for the easy removal of push up clips. If possible please post a link to buy the same.
I may be responding with something you may already know so apologies if it sounds too basic.

Have you tried a simple flathead screw driver? You first put the flathead beneath the top clip and lift it up. As you lift it, the external clip holding the pin will become hollow enabling you to pull this entire push up clip assembly out. Typically, this is exactly how it is done.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2021, 12:29   #2375
BHPian

I have tried the flathead screwdriver and managed to broke two clips in the process . The clips used in the bumpers are filled with mud and other debris, so looking for a more convenient tool.
Quote:
I may be responding with something you may already know so apologies if it sounds too basic.

Have you tried a simple flathead screw driver? You first put the flathead beneath the top clip and lift it up. As you lift it, the external clip holding the pin will become hollow enabling you to pull this entire push up clip assembly out. Typically, this is exactly how it is done.
Kpzonwheels is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2021, 12:36   #2376
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have tried the flathead screwdriver and managed to broke two clips in the process . The clips used in the bumpers are filled with mud and other debris, so looking for a more convenient tool.
I can imagine, as soon as you referred to what is in bold. Unfortunately there won't be a tool that will help such a situation . After all, the inside part of the clip has to first come out and for that you need to clean that mud settled on it first.

I have removed bumpers quite a few times and have broken these clips too. Thankfully, I always have some extra of these all the times for such cases. But the best thing to do really is to get the car washed thoroughly before attempting to remove these clips, especially those that are exposed to external environment.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2021, 12:40   #2377
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Something like this may help.

https://www.amazon.in/Intuitech-Tool...s%2C494&sr=1-4
sagarpadaki is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2021, 12:46   #2378
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
How will this help remove the debris stuck on the other side? The only advantage I see of this tool is that it helps apply uniform pressure on both the sides of the clip but from the top and that's all.

Honestly, for such clips and the situations mentioned, stocking few more of these works best.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2021, 12:56   #2379
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
How will this help remove the debris stuck on the other side? The only advantage I see of this tool is that it helps apply uniform pressure on both the sides of the clip but from the top and that's all.

Honestly, for such clips and the situations mentioned, stocking few more of these works best.
The hope is that the uniform pressure and the leverage of the length of the tool will provide enough force to dislodge the debris and remove the clip.

Ofcourse replacing the clips with new ones is the best option. They would have gone brittle over the years
sagarpadaki is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2021, 12:57   #2380
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Typical trim-remover kits (also available on amazon.in but costlier than the now taboo AliExpress) - have good tools to remove clips safer than our usual tactics of screw-driver. Better in case of newbie DIY folks generally.

As for the grime-mud deposits on the inaccessible side of the clip - the only possible solution is to give 5-6 gentle taps with a rubber mallet / soft head screw driver handle on the clip to break away / loosen the dirt in the hope that it lets go.
Reinhard is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2021, 13:05   #2381
BHPian

Quote:
These are clip on types. The proper way would be to use a nose player to hold the clips under pressure and push them out of the slot. Better said than done. Sometimes even access to the clip part is difficult. Try all the tools mentioned above and keep some spares in handy.
srini1785 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2021, 13:12   #2382
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Keep stock of clips just replace them after removing. This will ensure they are in their best strength. When there is mud stuck on either side, irrespective of what tool you use, it would fight against the plastic anchor arms and during removal it will make it weaker. Hence everytime you remove the clip it gets weaker. It hardly costs a rupee or two whenever I have got it and I personally just replace the clips if it takes force to come out. I reuse only clean clips which are located in areas that don't gather mud.
audioholic is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th February 2021, 13:52   #2383
BHPian

Thanks for the valuable suggestions. I will keep some spare clips with me in the future. The clips on the bumper got weaker whenever I unclip them, so it is best to replace them as @audioholic said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Keep stock of clips just replace them after removing. This will ensure they are in their best strength. When there is mud stuck on either side, irrespective of what tool you use, it would fight against the plastic anchor arms and during removal it will make it weaker. Hence everytime you remove the clip it gets weaker. It hardly costs a rupee or two whenever I have got it and I personally just replace the clips if it takes force to come out. I reuse only clean clips which are located in areas that don't gather mud.
Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post
These are clip on types. The proper way would be to use a nose player to hold the clips under pressure and push them out of the slot. Better said than done. Sometimes even access to the clip part is difficult. Try all the tools mentioned above and keep some spares in handy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Typical trim-remover kits (also available on amazon.in but costlier than the now taboo AliExpress) - have good tools to remove clips safer than our usual tactics of screw-driver. Better in case of newbie DIY folks generally.

As for the grime-mud deposits on the inaccessible side of the clip - the only possible solution is to give 5-6 gentle taps with a rubber mallet / soft head screw driver handle on the clip to break away / loosen the dirt in the hope that it lets go.
Quote:
Quote:
I can imagine, as soon as you referred to what is in bold. Unfortunately there won't be a tool that will help such a situation . After all, the inside part of the clip has to first come out and for that you need to clean that mud settled on it first.

I have removed bumpers quite a few times and have broken these clips too. Thankfully, I always have some extra of these all the times for such cases. But the best thing to do really is to get the car washed thoroughly before attempting to remove these clips, especially those that are exposed to external environment.
Old 15th February 2021, 14:58   #2384
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As far as I recollect these are single use clips. The locking mechanism will span off or become loose when taken out. It is better to buy and install new clips every time. Here is a link to the clips. They may be much cheaper in shops.
https://www.amazon.in/Rivet-Fastener...=1&ext_vrnc=hi

Tools for a DIYer-41zrtyfk3l.jpg
Aroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2021, 16:46   #2385
BHPian

Delete post. Delete post. Delete post.

Last edited by drsingh : 15th February 2021 at 16:48. Reason: Delete post.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks