Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2020, 15:27   #2221
BHPian

Re: Tools for a DIYer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Yes, at home with 230V domestic AC line.
I had a qualified electrician draw a fresh separate connection in my terrace. He drew it using a 4 sq mm 3 core cable from the MCB box.
Its probably ok then. The welding equipment usually have a higher wattage ( 1.5-1.8Kw) and sometimes its more than the sanctioned load for a domestic connection. So when you weld and if you notice bulbs dimming then its time to get separate higher load commercial line.

Last edited by srini1785 : 13th July 2020 at 15:45.
srini1785 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2020, 17:12   #2222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
first weld !

Attachment 2029649
You need to break the weld to find out how you have done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Not necessarily tools for a DITer, but most likely tools that DIYers would drool over:

Initially you needed a gun permit for this thing! So they changed some of the safety features and now anybody can buy it! Cartridges come in different sizes, to deliver different “punch” depending on the material you are shooting into
Hilti is well known for its demolition hammers.

First rule of gun handling - no matter what (magazine out, chamber empty), do not point a gun at anything unless you actually want to! Do not hold/ carry it horizontally.

Sutripta
PS - Idea for the Coen brothers - No country for old men 2 - uses this gunpowder powered nail gun.
I think it was also used in 'The Wire'.

Last edited by Sutripta : 13th July 2020 at 17:16.
Sutripta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th July 2020, 17:49   #2223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
You need to break the weld to find out how you have done.
Chipped it later, and the quality was a joke. Few bends, and it came out.
The test item was rusted old TMT bars which came out of a small demolition job at the house.
Maybe i'll clean them using a wire brush to get some good surface for my next practice.
Wanted to try my hand on some disposable items before actually buying some sq tube or angle iron to build something meaningful.
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2020, 19:24   #2224

What are the KPT guys smoking? I have a hands-me-down KTP2-20VR 600watt hammer drill. Needed the user manual and was also hoping that they have a service manual as well, for download on their website.

God, I was in for such a shock. Their website is such a farce. There's absolutely no user manual. The scant specifications that they provide model wise is laughable.

The icing on the cake are the web forms- they have quite a few of them. Spent over 20 mins trying to get a couple of web-forms submitted; no go. Throws some cryptic error. And, the wise guys make it mandatory to enter your mobile number - who does that? Why would they want my mobile number, for a simple webform submission, unless I am signing up for some kind of warranty services.

It seems the website is one man's creation, some Amogh Karmakar. He's name is omnistamped in the website footer.

I wonder why KPT drills are so popular this side of the country.

Anyone has a user manual of this particular model -KPT2-20VR?
Old 13th July 2020, 19:43   #2225
BHPian

Any recommendations on Jigsaws, preferably one with T-Shank blades.
  1. Is 400W sufficient for hobby wood work?
  2. Any particular brands to avoid? There are some local (Maybe Chinese)
  3. Budget is 2.5K, there are some Black And Decker 400W at this price.
  4. Online vs Local shop prices, is there a lot of difference.
Old 14th July 2020, 04:03   #2226
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Chipped it later, and the quality was a joke. Few bends, and it came out. ...
Never mind, it's all learning, and good to start on scrap, or, at least, stuff without value.

I spent an hour or more once, trying to solder (braze) a tiny piece of rod into a hole. It was the push piece for a box snap, the like of which you'll find on many a bracelet. Every attempt, it failed. Eventually it dawned on me. It was a very good fit; it was a push fit: there wasn't any room for the solder to flow. silver-solder faces-to-be-joined have to close (it is not a gap filler), but not that close. fixed within a few minutes of realising.

We live and learn. Or, more like, we try, fail and learn

Not my metal, but I'd want two pieces of steel that I was going to join, like copper, silver or gold, to be really clean. Certainly no oxides. otherwise known to the steel people as rust.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2020, 00:53   #2227
Senior - BHPian

Are the generic Dremel accessories like this one good? I am not finding any original Dremel bits on Amazon.
Old 15th July 2020, 03:29   #2228
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
generic Dremel accessories
Hard to say. I actually don't rate the Dremel stuff that highly. Some of that stuff wears out or breaks pretty quickly. Which can be very dangerous: please do use eye protection with those things, especially, but not limited to the cutting/grinding items. Those thin cut-off wheels are like ice-cream wafers: super-fragile.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2020, 12:36   #2229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks - I am taking lessons from Youtube (If that can be considered as such, but I picked up almost all of my woodworking knowledge from Youtube as well).
I came across this video yesterday which you might like

A school mate of mine is into manufacturing welding and painting simulators. https://skillveri.in/ You can maybe see if you can get access to some such simulator to learn the basics first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Which can be very dangerous: please do use eye protection with those things, especially, but not limited to the cutting/grinding items. Those thin cut-off wheels are like ice-cream wafers: super-fragile.
Yes, I wear eye protection and also use a pair of mechanix work gloves.
Jaguar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2020, 03:59   #2230

Which would be the correct lube for the gearbox of an old,12V, Bosch cordless drill? The gear was slipping, opened it up to sort it out. The gears are absolutely clean, there's no grease at all, just some kind of oil. Would prefer to keep it that way; don't wanna use just any grease. The right lube please?
Old 27th July 2020, 18:25   #2231
Distinguished - BHPian

It's completely over the top, but I have added a stropping stage to sharpening my kitchen knives.

Tools for a DIYer-dsc08373small.jpg

The strop has a leather strip fastened to one side, and some soft wood attached to the other. I don't know about using the wood: is it for finer or coarser compound?

The Menzerma product is absolutely not from their car detailing ranges! Although... it might have its applications. It puts a mirror finish on stainless steel. I cut off the block for kitchen use, and it took the tips off all the hacksaw-blade teeth.

I've found that I can get a good edge back on scalpel blades, so no longer consider them disposable.
Old 1st August 2020, 12:26   #2232
Senior - BHPian

Recent lockdown made my hands itch and so I bought an angle grinder and a variable speed drill.

Then went ahead and bought an electric planer.

I shall be going for a circular saw too.

The bit about the angle grinder is the extremely high RPMs. It doesn't have variable speed, and I am just not comfortable standing in front of it, or holding it in my hands, knowing that the slightest of issues could result in a 12000 rpm particle shooting in some wild direction.

Bought a stand for the grinder from Amazon that makes it into a chop saw. Tried it on wood and it slices through the wood like butter. Not just the raw mango pallet wood, but solid heavy oak.

The problem? Its reach is severely limited. On a stand it can only cut through small strips of wood. So for a pallet I have to first use a crowbar to separate the wooden strips and then cut them down to size. With oak, it took me around fifteen minutes to rotate the 2x2 thick post and it still left a few strands uncut in the middle. Not exactly my idea of using a power tool.

A circular saw with a jig will let me cut through a piece of plywood or a thick oak timber much easily. Adjustable depth, lower RPMs, larger blade and the various safety features. Not to mention angular cuts.

So if anyone is looking for a power tool to cut wood for DIY, don't waste money on an angle grinder. Buy a circular saw. Or if you do want to waste it on an angle grinder, I shall sell you mine.
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2020, 13:27   #2233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Recent lockdown made my hands itch and so I bought an angle grinder and a variable speed drill.

Then went ahead and bought an electric planer.

I shall be going for a circular saw too.
Hold on to your angle grinder, it has multiple other uses as well.

You should be able to handle pretty much all beginner grade woodworking stuff with a circular saw and a straightedge - you can use a speed square for cross cuts upto 6 inches, or build a bigger one from wood / ply for rip cuts.

Be careful with that electric plane - I suffered my worst accident till date with one, losing 1/2 inches from the tip of my left thumb.
Old 1st August 2020, 23:54   #2234
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The bit about the angle grinder is the extremely high RPMs. It doesn't have variable speed, and I am just not comfortable standing in front of it, or holding it in my hands, knowing that the slightest of issues could result in a 12000 rpm particle shooting in some wild direction.
I feel like that about angle grinders too. But I was once lectured by a pro, that the power planer was the most dangerous tool in the shop. He told me that this is because, unlike an angle grinder or a circular saw, they don't look dangerous, which makes them even more so.

Angle grinders (I'll get one one day): eye protection is an absolute, and full-face protection pretty much so. Actually, I wouldn't mind a leather apron. Especially as I am mostly bare-chested when at home.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2020, 16:00   #2235
BHPian

Quote:

A circular saw with a jig will let me cut through a piece of plywood or a thick oak timber much easily. Adjustable depth, lower RPMs, larger blade and the various safety features. Not to mention angular cuts.
I too am planning to get one, any suggestions on model/brand a small scale DIY jobs at home?

Most Viewed