Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2014, 12:13   #721
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tools for a DIYer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post

Plug bases are all porcelain/ceramic (with copper connections)...cracked these days, and there are no ceramic ones to be found in the market! Fortunately, ceramic seems to form a bond with cyanoacrylate quite favourably: so the broken pieces have been rejoined!

Thanks again!
There are industrial metal sockets with ceramic inset available (Compton & Havels). I use those for all my AC's.

I have seen some very high end modular sockets with ceramic base, but their cost is not worth it.
Old 19th June 2014, 12:18   #722
Distinguished - BHPian

Can anybody guide me on how to cut wine bottles?
I have these 30 odd wine bottles which I have been hoarding to make into glasses.
Cut from the middle, and the base, attach base to mouth, voila.
I saw it at some joint in Khan market, done to perrier( I think), and they looked fantastic.
Any help as to what kind of tools etc are needed, or what kind of artisan I should go to (If artisans are what one goes to still....)
Old 19th June 2014, 12:18   #723
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingh View Post
Can the DIY crowd recommend me some adhesive to bond a velcro strip to a polyethylene sheet?

Is cyanoacrylate the way to go?
I think rubber solution, or the mochi/shoe repair type Fevibond/Anabond/Dendrite would be better suited. Cyanoacrylate doesnt go too well with polyethylene. I tried for my home made car and AC cover, but, it was finally Dendrite adhesive. Takes 8-12 hours to cure under pressure.

But everything said, whatever the glue: be sure to clean the application area with a good solvent. It is mandatory to remove the dust/oil/contamination layer for the bond to happen. There is some new Fevicol carpenters glue, which is seemingly all purpose DIY type as well! Carpenters these days work with a lot many more materials than just wood and the occassional glass!

On a different note, why not try the small rivets? The bag repairer has it!

Last edited by lapis_lazuli : 19th June 2014 at 12:30.
Old 19th June 2014, 12:38   #724
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
I have these 30 odd wine bottles which I have been hoarding to make into glasses.
I saw it at some joint in Khan market, done to perrier( I think), and they looked fantastic.
Any help as to what kind of tools etc are needed, or what kind of artisan I should go to (If artisans are what one goes to still....)
If I remember, you take a nicrome wire (heater element), wrap it around the bottle where you want it cut. Then connect it to battery so that it heats up and glows. That should be enough.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2014, 13:14   #725
BHPian

Quote:
Can the DIY crowd recommend me some adhesive to bond a velcro strip to a polyethylene sheet?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
There is some new Fevicol carpenters glue
Fevicol SR, can bond very fast to any rubber / plastic / any similar items. The catch is to apply the glue to both the surfaces and wait till it dries (~1min), then join them for better bonding.

Last edited by ::CMS:: : 19th June 2014 at 13:17.
::CMS:: is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2014, 14:09   #726
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can anybody guide me on how to cut wine bottles? ... or what kind of artisan I should go to (If artisans are what one goes to still....)
* If you want to do it yourself
- get a sharp diamond-tip glass cutter (not the steel wheel type)
- build a jig where the cutter stays stationery, and you rotate the bottle in place. You can make it out of wood. Advantage - all bottles will be cut at the same place if you mount the cutter at one place, and the bottle is stopped at the base end
- place bottle in the jig, rotate as smoothly as you can ensuring a smooth shallow cut. If there are discontinuities, the separation will not be smooth, and the bottle might crack
- tap on one side of the cut with a light metal hammer or a heavy knife. The top and bottom should separate easily
- Use water-based emery paper to smoothen the cut edges

The key thing with the bottle-goblet idea is getting the drinking and base edges smooth.

* If you want someone else to do it, go to a place where they make glass showcases and fish tanks out of glass. Best would be someone who has an electric buffing stand (a motor with buffing wheels on either side). Ask at any photo-framing shop in the local market, and they will be able to tell you where you can find one. There are a few in Lajpatrai Market and other Old Delhi areas

Joining the 2 parts is the other problem. The best glue for this is Gorilla glue (not sure if it is available in India), much better than Araldite. Cyanoacrylate will be difficult to use.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2014, 22:45   #727
BHPian

Quote:
I'd suggest you find a professional to do it.

I've had limited success with the acetone dipped thread method. There at lots of YouTube videos on the subject.
Old 20th June 2014, 18:37   #728
BHPian

Expanding on what DerAltr is saying posting two links for an interesting website

http://www.instructables.com/id/easy...-common-parts/
&
http://www.instructables.com/id/Simp...Bottle-Cutter/

lots of other methods given but this one gets good results and is neat. You will need to try you hands a couple of times before you get perfect results in cutting the wire. Will share some

Sharing some lamps I had made.
Attachment 1252120
ps. Mods not promoting anything just sharing examples.
Attached Thumbnails
Tools for a DIYer-img_4258.jpg  

Tools for a DIYer-img_4259.jpg  

Tools for a DIYer-img_4260.jpg  

Old 27th June 2014, 22:00   #729
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, I tried my hand at it today.
Managed to stabilize the glass cutter with a vice, but the bottle was in my hand, so got a wavery slice.
Then I tried a shortcut, heated the whole thing over a gas flame rather than using a torch or a candle. The glass cracked brilliantly in water. So instead, I have a tumbler.
I think with a bit of practice, this is an easy at home project. Waiting now for more bottles to be emptied, the last batch was sold off in my absence.
Oh, and the glass has been amateurishly ground with grinding bits in a home drill, with full face mask on.

PS - not going to be using this, but I think by the 3rd, 4th try, they'll be coming through well.
Attached Images

Old 28th June 2014, 22:44   #730
BHPian

Name:  ForumRunner_20140628_224152.png
Views: 1027
Size:  328.8 KB

What do I need to work with screws like this in a restricted space?

A ratchet with a Philips bit? Are these available separately or can I do without a ratchet?
Old 29th June 2014, 00:59   #731
Distinguished - BHPian

I doubt if even this would fit in that space. It's about 120mm including the bit. A ratchet stubby, with interchangeable bits, it was a cheap bargain-bin thing from Maplins in London and cost only a pound or two --- and is possibly my most useful screwdriver.

Tools for a DIYer-stubbyratchet.jpg

But you can buy bent screwdrivers. No, seriously you can. L-shaped, like an allen key, you can easily get them into the space. The problem is with applying pressure if the screw is tight or stiff.

Quote:
A ratchet with a Philips bit? Are these available separately or can I do without a ratchet?
have you got a socket set? Use a screwdriver bit, with a socket it fits, and a small ratchet. In fact: thanks for the idea! Have logged for future use.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2014, 10:40   #732
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I doubt if even this would fit in that space. It's about 120mm including the bit. A ratchet stubby, with interchangeable bits, it was a cheap bargain-bin thing from Maplins in London and cost only a pound or two --- and is possibly my most useful screwdriver.

Attachment 1255747

But you can buy bent screwdrivers. No, seriously you can. L-shaped, like an allen key, you can easily get them into the space. The problem is with applying pressure if the screw is tight or stiff.

have you got a socket set? Use a screwdriver bit, with a socket it fits, and a small ratchet. In fact: thanks for the idea! Have logged for future use.
I have a large handle and big sockets for spark plugs and wheel nuts etc.

There is a cheap angled screwdriver set available,like the one below,but its too long

http://www.ebay.in/itm/41-PCS-TOOL-K...5f5b7bd&_uhb=1

I have found the ideal solution for my problem

http://www.amazon.com/Neiko-03044A-R...PZEVF292YS5R9Y

Is something like this available in India? Or can I assemble such a set with a small ratchet and bits off the shelf?

Kindly provide links to Indian products if possible.

I have found two products that might work together.

http://www.ebay.in/itm/1-4-Drive-Hea...f6bccd9&_uhb=1

http://www.ebay.in/itm/Bosch-Skil-30...5e56eb3&_uhb=1

Any Inputs? will the above two products play nice with each other?

Another option on ebay? Is this brand any good?

http://www.ebay.in/itm/Branded-Force...f6bf118&_uhb=1

Last edited by drsingh : 29th June 2014 at 10:57.
Old 29th June 2014, 12:15   #733
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 1255722

What do I need to work with screws like this in a restricted space?

A bent screw driver is what you need. If you cannot find one in the shop, just bend a normal one (any workshop will do it for you, if you can not).
Aroy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th June 2014, 15:11   #734
Distinguished - BHPian

Neat and practical thinking from Aroy

I know we love our tools, but this is time to sacrifice one to create another.

(I'm sure members have some good tool mods: we could post them!)
Old 29th June 2014, 19:44   #735
Senior - BHPian

Here are some that may also do the job
http://stanleytools.com/default.asp?...3B+Screwdriver

http://www.homedepot.com/p/qv/204356099

And this is the best - a screw driver with flexible shaft

http://www.ebay.com/itm/31PC-FLEX-BE...-/171065575480
Tools for a DIYer-150775.jpg

Last edited by Stratos : 1st July 2014 at 22:42. Reason: Reattached image in correct size.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks