Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2021, 03:55   #2356
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tools for a DIYer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Trust me Araldite is - like Thad sir says - a child's putty compared with JB Weld.
Did I say that? <Blush>

Well, I guess it is probably justified. Lately, I've become a fan of superglue. I think one has to get a good one, the one I use is Anabond, and I think it is industrial strength. Of course, superglue, of course, is only good for clean breaks --- Although magical things can be done with superglue and sodium bicarbonate.

Most epoxy glues are probably good, certainly Araldite is. For anything that requires major gap filling or building up, Mseal, from the local shop, is great!
Old 21st January 2021, 04:10   #2357
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post

1.) How can I glue back the old cracked glass. What glue to use.
Can you post a pic of the crack? The crack is not really visible from the pic.
Old 23rd January 2021, 07:31   #2358
BHPian

Was looking for a mid sized wood saw and came across this listing on Amazon.
It is a chainsaw adapter kit that can be linked to an Angle Grinder

https://www.amazon.in/Cheston-Electr...s%2C484&sr=8-5

My first though was , this looks as dangerous as hell.
Just want to get an opinion from the other members
Fillmore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2021, 10:38   #2359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Was looking for a mid sized wood saw and came across this listing on Amazon.
It is a chainsaw adapter kit that can be linked to an Angle Grinder

https://www.amazon.in/Cheston-Electr...s%2C484&sr=8-5

My first though was , this looks as dangerous as hell.
Just want to get an opinion from the other members
Avoid. Unless you are out chopping tree branches.

I bought an angle grinder just for this purpose, DIY wood cutting. The moment I started it (without the blade, mind you), it scared the living shit out of me. It spins at upwards of 10k rpm, and anything going wrong will cause a big accident. And there are a lot of things that can go wrong.

I tried cutting a 2x2x2 piece of wood with the grinder (with a wood cutting blade), and it couldn't do a clean sweep (because the blade is barely 4 inches, and it can't cut through the block). Went back to a hand saw, and although it took me a few minutes, it was the most relaxing part, as I suddenly found it to be much safer.

Use a handsaw, get a rip cut saw, sharpen it well and it should eliminate the need for an electric saw, at least for smaller DIY jobs.

Get a circular saw if you do feel the need to cut big sheets of plywood fast.
honeybee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2021, 10:44   #2360
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys I need suggestion.....
I guess you will find a new jar of similar size easily if you visit the wholesale crockery market in Bangalore, if there is one. Alternatively, search for "glass jars with metal lids" on Amazon, there are quite a few options, some of which could be of the size you are looking for. A few copied below for your reference:

https://www.amazon.in/Jinelza-Salsa-...%2C294&sr=8-30

https://www.amazon.in/Farkraft-Glass...%2C294&sr=8-12

https://www.amazon.in/AVNISH-Small-G...%2C294&sr=8-32

Only metal lids:

https://www.amazon.in/Pure-Source-In...%2C293&sr=8-18
Old 28th January 2021, 19:17   #2361
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
If you do want a perfect solution, why not spend on glass glue?

Alternatively, you could try sourcing the bottle from some mayapuri type place that sells antique auto stuff, or source it from ebay perhaps.

If you are passionate about getting it perfect, perhaps it's time to indulge her.

Also can you please share some photos of the location of the bottle in the engine bay?
Yes I can spend on glass glue, I just wanted to be sure if that will work. I want a fool proof solution so asking experts here . Also from the time I posted here have got the brackets made by laser cutting and folding and have modelled the bottle in CAD. I figured out the bottle I got is over sized in diameter, so will not do and thus the cad drawing.

This bottle is available no where and was also used on Ferraris, so the price is usually around 500 USD + Shipping + Customs

Tools for a DIYer-bracket.jpg

Tools for a DIYer-bottle.png

Tools for a DIYer-whatsapp-image-20210127-2.16.06-pm.jpeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
Can you cut the top of the jar to be of the right height, and see if I can use a rubber lid. Or a 3d printed lid with a rubber band as a gasket that seals water.

I would try experiments like this only if I can source more than one replacement jar.
The project here is 100% exact copy of the original and therefore all this circus. If not I can use other available solutions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
Can you post a pic of the crack? The crack is not really visible from the pic.
Here you go.

Tools for a DIYer-20210128_190405.jpg

Tools for a DIYer-20210128_190357.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
I guess you will find a new jar of similar size easily if you visit the wholesale crockery market in Bangalore, if there is one.

Only metal lids:
No buddy these are all not the right size - I need is 112mm Diameter and 116 mm height with a 96 mm screw cap. But yes I will definitely visit the main market to try my luck, just in case.
manishalive is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th January 2021, 19:52   #2362
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No buddy these are all not the right size - I need is 112mm Diameter and 116 mm height with a 96 mm screw cap. But yes I will definitely visit the main market to try my luck, just in case.
From the engine bay photo, I see the increased height will probably foul with the closing of the bonnet. And I suspect there's something running underneath it. But I may be wrong.

Can you mount the new bottle slightly to the left / right and place it a little lower?

Also how is the pipe connected to it, from the bottom?
Old 29th January 2021, 08:09   #2363
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
From the engine bay photo, I see the increased height will probably foul with the closing of the bonnet. And I suspect there's something running underneath it. But I may be wrong.

Can you mount the new bottle slightly to the left / right and place it a little lower?

Also how is the pipe connected to it, from the bottom?
Yes the increased height will foul and right below is the cross member / stiffener. No I cannot mount it any where else. Dante Giacosa designed / placed it perfectly where it should be.

There will be a small nipple / nozzle (M7 bolt turned half way down to form a nozzle) affixed to the bottom hole to carry the fluid required.
Old 29th January 2021, 11:49   #2364
Senior - BHPian

Well, other than that, I am out of ideas!

May be write to Fiat Motors and see if they can arrange one for you?
Old 31st January 2021, 18:03   #2365
Senior - BHPian

Can someone recommend a cordless impact wrench/driver for working on motorcycles and cars (tyre removal)? If it can be used as a screw driver and occasional drilling in wood/metals- will be icing on the cake. Budget is around 10k INR.

Regards,
-BJ
Old 31st January 2021, 18:33   #2366
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
Can someone recommend a cordless impact wrench/driver for working on motorcycles and cars (tyre removal)? If it can be used as a screw driver and occasional drilling in wood/metals- will be icing on the cake. Budget is around 10k INR.

Regards,
-BJ
You won't find anything from the established brands like Dewalt, Bosch, Makita in this budget.
Also, impact wrench and driver are two different things and you can't use one in place of other effectively. Wrench should only be used for removing lug nuts etc and it will be just too powerful for screw driving.
Prices in India are at least 2 times if not 3 times more than the US prices as you can check here.

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07HNHX83X/...6VQ92AD3?psc=1
rdst_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2021, 20:58   #2367
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post

Regards,
-BJ
There are unbranded electric wrenches available under 10K. Comes in 1/2 inch drive and can be used to loosen/tighten lug nuts.

My mechanic uses one of these for the past year on a daily basis and he is happy with the performance

https://www.amazon.in/s?k=electric+i...ss_ts-a-p_1_14
sagarpadaki is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2021, 07:58   #2368
BHPian

I've used this connector rail solution to join wires around the house that need extension.I've also used it to join damaged/cut wires.

A sample is shown below.

Is there a better way to accomplish the same? Or a more efficient way?

I insulate the joint by wrapping with insulation tape. Is there a product to seal such a connection from humidity (sealing such a connection in the bathroom)?

I've thought about sealing it with M-seal.

Are crimp connectors a better solution for such connections?

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Tools for a DIYer-_210215_070420_811.jpg  

Old 15th February 2021, 09:33   #2369
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingh View Post
I've used this connector rail solution to join wires around the house that need extension.I've also used it to join damaged/cut wires.

A sample is shown below.

Is there a better way to accomplish the same? Or a more efficient way?

I insulate the joint by wrapping with insulation tape. Is there a product to seal such a connection from humidity (sealing such a connection in the bathroom)?

I've thought about sealing it with M-seal.

Are crimp connectors a better solution for such connections?

Thanks in advance.
Way back in 2017,when my requirement was to split a single line into 3 more additional sockets to power up the devices for my home theatre system, I made use of these connectors to split the line, one each for Ground, Line and Neutral.

Tools for a DIYer-20170505_150029.jpg

Tools for a DIYer-20170505_145118.jpg

You skin the wires 20mm, insert the wires and lock the clip. Totally reversible tomorrow of you change the design and layout of the cabinet.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th February 2021, 11:22   #2370
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Way back in 2017,when my requirement was to split a single line into 3 more additional sockets to power up the devices for my home theatre system, I made use of these connectors to split the line, one each for Ground, Line and Neutral.

You skin the wires 20mm, insert the wires and lock the clip. Totally reversible tomorrow of you change the design and layout of the cabinet.
What are these called and where to buy them?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks