Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2017, 19:54   #1561
BHPian

Can you post a picture of the job at hand. I would have advised common wood glue as that usually shrinks but I would like to get a look at the job at hand before suggesting something. Generally for wood joints we prefer glue that doesn't show up outside the joint.
Old 16th July 2017, 20:02   #1562
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Once you have the hole, next use headless nails to secure the collar to the door, that is drive the nail from inside the hole towards the door, radially. Two nails at opposite end would do.A hole saw is an excellent addition to tool set.
Thanks for the excellent detail. I do have the hole saw set and have used it twice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
Hello, Godrej sells metal collars ( adapters ) just for this purpose, i.e. for upgrading from the "old" style night-latches to the newer models.... You could try checking with the hardware store from where you got the new night-latch if they carry these adapters too.
Thanks will check this tomorrow as I need to do this over the next day or two max.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Try JB Weld. It will bond with steel as well as wood.
thanks will try this with the ready adapters.
Old 16th July 2017, 21:51   #1563
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tools for a DIYer

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
Hello, Godrej sells metal collars ( adapters ) just for this purpose, i.e. for upgrading from the "old" style night-latches to the newer models.
Almost the only solution, because the locks (key part) do not have the same centre. The cutout in the plug would need to be offset.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2017, 22:08   #1564
BHPian

Found this adapter and something like this will be the wonderful.
Attached Thumbnails
Tools for a DIYer-1500223098108.jpg  

Old 16th July 2017, 22:42   #1565
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueEyes View Post
Thanks.
That's the first thing I did and the lady at the Mumbai office gave cellphone number of a sales guy. He gave couple of other numbers to contact but nobody gave concrete answer where I can get these rolls.
Finally, upon further digging I found a distributor here who would also sell small numbers for retail. So a Tesa 51608 would cost Rs.320 + GST. If anyone interested contact V3 Group, 08026572605 Geo location.
Awesome, that location is very close to my house. 320+ is a very good price too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueEyes View Post
Also saw your earlier post about Dremel purchase. Have you put it to use? I been looking one for myself, nothing fancy just the basic stuff. There are just way too many choices. What's your feedback on the one you purchased?
Its just as good as a Dremel. I have compared it with a dremel and tehre is no difference in performance. I have used it in many projects and it has become an essential tool for me.
SunnyBoi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2017, 22:44   #1566
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdst_1 View Post
Can you post a picture of the job at hand. I would have advised common wood glue as that usually shrinks but I would like to get a look at the job at hand before suggesting something. Generally for wood joints we prefer glue that doesn't show up outside the joint.
Tools for a DIYer-stick.jpg

Forgive the blur, but you can get the idea that it is a typical broken-stick kind of injury. The sort that should, more or less, push back together in a decent fit. It seems maybe it broke in the same place as before. Perhaps the glue wasn't as good as I thought. Maybe I will just JB-Weld it. It will be tough. though, to get it to run into all the crannies. And tough to clean up.

Hmmm... Have a large bottle of Fevicol handy.
Old 16th July 2017, 23:26   #1567
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Attachment 1657542

Forgive the blur, but you can get the idea that it is a typical broken-stick kind of injury. The sort that should, more or less, push back together in a decent fit. It seems maybe it broke in the same place as before. Perhaps the glue wasn't as good as I thought. Maybe I will just JB-Weld it. It will be tough. though, to get it to run into all the crannies. And tough to clean up.

Hmmm... Have a large bottle of Fevicol handy.
Epoxy glue seems to be the only solution for this kinda injury. We used to fix broken table tennis bat handles with Araldite and this is a similar case.
A quick-set Epoxy glue is what you need otherwise the handle might move before the glue dries up and sets.
You can later try and procure a clear Epoxy wood finish and coat the whole handle in a thick coat so that the repair doesn't look ugly.

P.S. - Fevicol or normal wood glue won't work because you won't be able to clamp and apply pressure for the glue to set without breaking the handle again. Those glues are used when two pieces of wood can be joined while applying pressure, which is not the case here.

Last edited by rdst_1 : 16th July 2017 at 23:29.
rdst_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2017, 23:41   #1568
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes, you are right on both those counts.

I was just thinking about something I only heard of yesterday: superglue and sodium bicarbonate. But it seems that it sets very, very fast and that might not give me time to manipulate the wood into position.
Old 19th July 2017, 09:13   #1569
BHPian

As an update to my saga of switching out an older godrej night latch with a newer smaller one, I called godrej support and they sent me a technician to do this. He had the adapter and tried the swap. We realized that the lever that helps turn the locking mechanism when the key is rotated was shorter as the door in which I was planning to install it was thicker than the door where it was earlier installed. So dropped the plan to swap and will purchase a new one along with an adapter. The adapter costs 350rs. The adapter feels very solid and is a good solution to fitting a smaller lock in a larger door hole with minimal fuss and woodwork. However there could be other complications like thickness of door and position of screws etc which will impact your lock decision.
Attached Thumbnails
Tools for a DIYer-1500435647769.jpg  

Tools for a DIYer-1500435669910.jpg  

diyguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2017, 09:44   #1570
BHPian

Quote:
JB Weld ...
A sledgehammer of a glue! I would not think it is needed for this job, but, if one happened to have it, then fine. Is it available in India? Mine comes from London.
Yes. It is available in India here: www.alchemy-media-marketing.com/

It is available in other online stores as well.
Prowler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2017, 11:32   #1571
Distinguished - BHPian

I can vouch for JB products. Last time i was in UK i bought nearly their entire range for applications for plastic, rubber, metal, wet works, etc.
Old 19th July 2017, 19:14   #1572
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
... i bought nearly their entire range for applications for plastic, rubber, metal, wet works, etc.

Wow. I'm only familiar with Weld, which, as any nine-year-old might put it, is a thousand million billion times better than Araldyte!

I won't claim that it can make any item immortal, but I have one small bead of it that has held a specs-frame arm together for over a decade. There is a wire-into-ferule joint underneath it, but it is too shallow and the ferule completely lost its grip, so all it does it keep the parts together. The JB Weld holds them together.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler
Yes. It is available in India
I never thought to look online .in, but should have done: Lots of products at Amazon.in!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 19th July 2017 at 19:36.
Old 20th July 2017, 09:42   #1573
BHPian

Quote:
Wow. I'm only familiar with Weld, which, as any nine-year-old might put it, is a thousand million billion times better than Araldyte!

I never thought to look online .in, but should have done: Lots of products at Amazon.in!
In Amazon.in there are many sellers who ship from abroad for many items. The clue is to look at the probable delivery date. If it is less than 3, 4 days, they ship from India. If it is longer than a week, the products are shipped from abroad.

I ordered something and it took nearly 25 days to reach. And to my surprise, it didn't go through the Indian customs. This will open a Pandora's box eventually for the buyer.
Old 20th July 2017, 16:17   #1574
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes, often "3-4 weeks" or "usually ships in n days" are clues.

The experience can be transparent and trouble-free. I recently bought a set of three right-angle screwdrivers. I didn't even think about it coming from abroad at the time, but got a KYC )why do I always type "kfc: I hate the stuff!)" request and the item arrived promptly.
Old 20th July 2017, 19:16   #1575
BHPian

The name of seller and the prices are also good indicators. If the prices are very high as compared to the UK/US price and the seller name is Cart2India or Globe2India then these are being imported by third party and we are being looted.
It would be much cheaper to import it ourselves or via Amazon Global because these sellers aren't tool importers and usually procure their products from online sellers and then add a hefty markup of their own.
Having bought stuff from direct importers recently, I know that the prices offered should usually be equal to the selling prices abroad and at times even cheaper.
I was looking to import some Knipex pliers from Germany, but after finding their importer, I was pleasantly surprised to find his pricing even better than Amazon.de pricing . So I ended up getting the 'Made in Germany' tool for less than what a person in Germany can buy it for.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks