Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2016, 18:06   #1456
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tools for a DIYer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
The model is Metabo TS250. maximum rip capacity is 24 inches.
I believe it was a last piece sale from Tolexo.com - I got is for about 24000. Prices vary widely from site to site. Currently it is priced around 40-50k across sites. Better get the Makita or the Ferm which are below 30k.
I had added that several times to my shopping cart and then always decided against it at the last minute. So you were the lucky guy who bought that. The Makita one does not have good reviews. Will check out the Ferm one. But as you said, the prices are close to 50k and I am not very keen on that right now. I still have a queen size bed to be built and a few cupboards. But hoping to do that using only the circular saw.
Old 13th December 2016, 19:14   #1457
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
I had added that several times to my shopping cart and then always decided against it at the last minute. So you were the lucky guy who bought that. The Makita one does not have good reviews. Will check out the Ferm one. But as you said, the prices are close to 50k and I am not very keen on that right now. I still have a queen size bed to be built and a few cupboards. But hoping to do that using only the circular saw.
I have built quite a few shelves, dressers etc with the circular saw. It is possible, but chief impediments are that it is more time consuming, less accurate and repeatability sometimes is off.

One very important piece of advice from an youtube content creator (I believe it's either DIY Tyler or Jay Bates), is that repeatability is more important in woodworking, especially cabinetmaking, than accuracy of sticking to plans.

Repeatability is much easier to achieve, especially for rookie DIYers like me, on a table saw and jigs than using a circular saw.

Last edited by Rehaan : 14th April 2017 at 11:53. Reason: Post edited as per earlier PM.
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2016, 07:45   #1458
BHPian

@blackasta,

Thanks for sharing! You really have an awesome set of tools. Can you please share the price and model of your drill-press as well.

While browsing through your blogs, in one of the pictures, I did see that you are using a paint spraying machine to do the painting. Can you post the link of the same and your user experience.

Thanks,
Venki
Old 19th December 2016, 08:36   #1459
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venki7744 View Post
@blackasta,

Thanks for sharing! You really have an awesome set of tools. Can you please share the price and model of your drill-press as well.

While browsing through your blogs, in one of the pictures, I did see that you are using a paint spraying machine to do the painting. Can you post the link of the same and your user experience.

Thanks,
Venki
The bench top drill press model is FERM TDM 1025. I bought it from machpowertools.com . Available from other sites as well. Prices vary from 9000 to 12000 by site. I got it for 9500.

The spray painter is FERM SGM 1011. It is a hvlp (high volume low pressure) machine. Got it from Flipkart.
Please read the review here Ferm Fine System 350W SGM1011 HVLP Sprayer
http://dl.flipkart.com/dl/ferm-fine-...oduct.share.pp
blackasta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2016, 11:15   #1460
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
The bench top drill press model is FERM TDM 1025. I bought it from machpowertools.com . Available from other sites as well. Prices vary from 9000 to 12000 by site. I got it for 9500.

The spray painter is FERM SGM 1011. It is a hvlp (high volume low pressure) machine. Got it from Flipkart.
Please read the review here Ferm Fine System 350W SGM1011 HVLP Sprayer
http://dl.flipkart.com/dl/ferm-fine-...oduct.share.pp
How has your experience been with FERM. I can't see any option to see their service centres. Right now, they are the only VFM power tools vendor with some international repute.
I am looking to buy a cordless drill/impact driver combo. The prices in US are dirt cheap compared to India, but Amazon isn't shipping any products with Li-Ion batteries to India.
Ferm 14.4V cordless drill is available for just 7100 at Amazon.in and seems a very VFM proposition. I had almost ordered it, but I just came to know that one of my friends is coming down from US and I might ask him to carry some stuff for me.
Bosch 18V Drill and Impact driver combo with 2 2.0 Ah batteries is just $149 at Amazon.
Old 20th December 2016, 13:11   #1461
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdst_1 View Post
How has your experience been with FERM. I can't see any option to see their service centres. Right now, they are the only VFM power tools vendor with some international repute.
I am looking to buy a cordless drill/impact driver combo. The prices in US are dirt cheap compared to India, but Amazon isn't shipping any products with Li-Ion batteries to India.
Ferm 14.4V cordless drill is available for just 7100 at Amazon.in and seems a very VFM proposition. I had almost ordered it, but I just came to know that one of my friends is coming down from US and I might ask him to carry some stuff for me.
Bosch 18V Drill and Impact driver combo with 2 2.0 Ah batteries is just $149 at Amazon.
Experience with FERM - Quite good. The benchtop drill is simple enough and does it's job adequately. The chuck however has gathered rust, but that has not affected it's usability. The HVLP sprayer is very good - it's a breeze to paint small or large items using the same. Haven't thought about service centers though.

Regarding getting stuff from USA - be sure to check that the battery chargers for the cordless drill/drivers accept 220v. Also, lithium batteries must be carried in person, plus there are other rules of FAA (read https://www.faa.gov/about/initiative...info/?hazmat=7)
Old 14th January 2017, 10:25   #1462
BANNED

Got another small tool for DIY jobs.

It is a Collar Hose Clip Plier. Image below
Name:  ForumRunner_20170114_102325.png
Views: 1609
Size:  482.3 KB

These type of clips are used on EGR hoses, Oil Separator hoses that need this tool for removing and fixing
Tools for a DIYer-4.-various-clamps.jpg

Screenshot of the item and price
Name:  ForumRunner_20170114_102342.png
Views: 1630
Size:  85.6 KB

Bought from: AliExpress
Price: ₹718
Shipping Method: AliExpress Standard Shipping
Delivery Time: 28 days.

Last edited by a4anurag : 14th January 2017 at 10:26.
a4anurag is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th January 2017, 10:50   #1463
BHPian

Ordered this from amazon.in. Tuftul 46 bits tool kit. It has a bendy adapter also . Comes in a metal case and a mold to hold all drivers in place. Though the quality of the plastic mold is not that great. The actual quality of the drivers is very good.
Tools for a DIYer-tuftul.jpg
allien936 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2017, 23:56   #1464
Distinguished - BHPian

Invaluable.

The small percentage of sockets in a set that you will actually use makes the whole thing worthwhile
Old 22nd January 2017, 22:57   #1465
BHPian

Friends, I am planning DIY for footwell area LED lights for my Civic. For this purpose, i will need tap dome light wires (near under-dash fuse box). I was planning to use T-taps for this purpose, but many members suggest against it (also it's damn difficult to find t-taps in India). What can be alternate best insulation way for tapping dome wire?
Old 23rd January 2017, 13:41   #1466
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techcoze View Post
Friends, I am planning DIY for footwell area LED lights for my Civic. For this purpose, i will need tap dome light wires (near under-dash fuse box). I was planning to use T-taps for this purpose, but many members suggest against it (also it's damn difficult to find t-taps in India). What can be alternate best insulation way for tapping dome wire?
T-taps are available in ebay.in but its little bit on the costlier side. (http://www.ebay.in/itm/DIYcrafts-6xS...cAAOSwNnRYgwe~).

A better option in my opinion would be to get fuse taps. Again you can get these from ebay.in.

Regards,
Venki
venki7744 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2017, 13:52   #1467
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venki7744 View Post
T-taps are available in ebay.in but its little bit on the costlier side. (http://www.ebay.in/itm/DIYcrafts-6xS...cAAOSwNnRYgwe~).

A better option in my opinion would be to get fuse taps. Again you can get these from ebay.in.

Regards,
Venki
Initially i thought about fuse tap, but civic fuse box don't have separate fuse socket just for dome light. So there is no way but to tap from dome light wire somehow.

I feel now it would be easier route to tap connection from dome light holder itself on ceiling, than experimenting with T-taps. Will try it on upcoming long weekend.
Old 27th January 2017, 18:52   #1468
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by allien936 View Post
... Though the quality of the plastic mold is not that great. ...
I had the same problem with a set I had bought 30 years back.

The solution is simple - give support from bottom. On the bottom side of the plastic mold, stuff some foam strips into the crevices, and stick some to the flat areas with adhesive.
Old 3rd February 2017, 19:03   #1469
BHPian

This tool kit has been my best accompanying friend for last 3 years for various DIYs. Purchased from local store for 1500/-. It helps to tackle variety of nut-bolts without any damage.

Tools for a DIYer-wp_20131228_045.jpg

Tools for a DIYer-wp_20131228_044.jpg
techcoze is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2017, 11:25   #1470
Senior - BHPian

Bought a Cobbler Pincer from More Megastore recently. I paid ₹77 after discount. The one I picked up was the last piece on display.(Pic courtesy: snapdeal)
Attached Thumbnails
Tools for a DIYer-img_20170222_104215.jpg  

Last edited by dailydriver : 22nd February 2017 at 11:28.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks