Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2017, 23:25   #1681
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tools for a DIYer

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Okay, finally got a Cello plastic cabinet to arrange all my tools and stuff. Feels good to have a 'centralized' tools collection:
Wow, that looks good! Are you comfortable with the plastic shelves taking that much weight?
Old 23rd October 2017, 00:36   #1682
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Wow, that looks good! Are you comfortable with the plastic shelves taking that much weight?
Thanks Nick! Those plastic shelves have metal beams beneath them making them sturdy. They should be fine!
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2017, 13:18   #1683
Distinguished - BHPian

I have some plastic drawer units (post flood emergency furniture) and they are ok but a bit flimsy. I didn't know this cupboard has steel supports!

And, OMG, Spannerzzz!

Nice to see you have so many. I think I have finished collecting spanners and pipe wrenches for a while and have started collecting G-clamps. More on the way.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2017, 14:43   #1684
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

And, OMG, Spannerzzz!

Nice to see you have so many. I think I have finished collecting spanners and pipe wrenches for a while and have started collecting G-clamps. More on the way.

Bought a few sets recently from Amazon. My old spanners are there in the blue bag!
Have just one G- clamp, locally made, enough for basic jobs like pushing brake pistons during my DIY activities. Here it is:
Tools for a DIYer-image.jpeg

BTW, saw in this thread that you have gotten a few already and now I read that you are still acquiring them? Any particular application that you are eyeing?
saket77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2017, 22:45   #1685
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
BTW, saw in this thread that you have gotten a few already and now I read that you are still acquiring them? Any particular application that you are eyeing?
Nothing in particular. I've only ever had two or three. It is just that they are so useful when needed, so thought I'd indulge in having a selection.

Got four Stanley G-clamps today. two 75mm and two 25mm. The 25mm ones are definitely cute.

Example of when you really need a clamp... Loosened the cover of our house water (sump to overhead tank) pump as it had jammed. One screw broke. Getting a broken screw out of a hole could be an interesting process, but not when one needs to get a pump working right away, and access is really really hard. So... there is a small, cheap g-clamp on that corner now.

Given that I am not that much of a DIYer, it is amazing how few of my tools have never ever come in handy!
Old 10th November 2017, 05:07   #1686
BHPian

It feels nice when I can justify spending so much on my tools, thanks to the commercial nature of the building we are constructing. So, I found ou that I couldn't drill holes for fasteners in the concrete pillars with just my hammer drill. I needed a rotary hammer. So, I went out and bought the best one out there. Presenting the Hilti TE 7-C. For those of you who don't know, Hilti is like the Rolls Royce of industrial level drills. The best part for me is that they have a 1 year warranty which not only includes wear and tear parts but also free pickup and drop. The last part was what made me choose them over a more powerful Bosch machine as I live in a rural area quite far away from any service centre.
Buying directly from the company also ensured that I got the best price which was actually cheaper than US prices despite us having 18% GST.
Attached Thumbnails
Tools for a DIYer-1510270534157.jpg  

rdst_1 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th November 2017, 18:26   #1687
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Have just one G- clamp ... ... ...saw in this thread that you have gotten a few already and now I read that you are still acquiring them? Any particular application that you are eyeing?
Of course I'd forgotten that I was going to drop the lid of a small wooden box, made only with glue, and would have to reglue a couple of sides

Tools for a DIYer-clamps.jpg

That's the biggest of my clamps and the two smallest Stanley ones. Could have done with at least two more of those small ones. Oh, and had I foreseen this mishap I could have bought frame clamps!

Today's arrivals. The screwdrivers are so small I thought I should put the scale there or nobody would believe. They are not good quality, one has rust already, but they will do something vital one day. There is a branded set of four on Amazon. I might go for it. Getting at screws in hard to reach places is always a challenge.

Tools for a DIYer-tinyscrewdriver.jpg

The mini hacksaw holder is much sturdier than the one I've had for years, and I wanted the one with the bar, this time, yes, for a specific project: cutting a tough plastic manhole cover.

And reading the card led to one of those DOH! moments. Hacksaw blades should be fitted to these mini holders to cut on the pull stroke.

Oh heck... How did I never realise that!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th November 2017, 18:52   #1688
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Of course I'd forgotten that I was going to drop the lid of a small wooden box, made only with glue, and would have to reglue a couple of sides
That's the biggest of my clamps and the two smallest Stanley ones. Could have done with at least two more of those small ones. Oh, and had I foreseen this mishap I could have bought frame clamps!
So, more G clamps in order

Quote:
Today's arrivals. The screwdrivers are so small I thought I should put the scale there or nobody would believe. They are not good quality, one has rust already, but they will do something vital one day. There is a branded set of four on Amazon. I might go for it. Getting at screws in hard to reach places is always a challenge.
Actually I am still wondering that where these screw drivers can be used. They are small, that's okay, but the head size is for normal screws I guess. How can one get enough of grip for torqueing that size of nuts/ screws? How do you plan to use it?

Quote:
The mini hacksaw holder is much sturdier than the one I've had for years, and I wanted the one with the bar, this time, yes, for a specific project: cutting a tough plastic manhole cover.
And reading the card led to one of those DOH! moments. Hacksaw blades should be fitted to these mini holders to cut on the pull stroke.
Oh heck... How did I never realise that!

I got the same hacksaw a few days ago from Amazon. When it arrived, it was much smaller than what I expected. But that carbon steel saw should retain its sharpness for long enough. Plus that is claimed to be flexible too, however, feels rigid and brittle when I try to bend it with hands. Good thing is that the blade is replaceable. And yes, a holder is always a welcome addition when it comes to hack saws.

I also got myself one Stanley ratcheting screwdriver. And I already put it to some use. It did help in fastening/ unfastening quickly while servicing my washing machine. This one: (pic taken from amazon)
Tools for a DIYer-61xzp2jgx0l._sl1234_.jpg
saket77 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th November 2017, 01:19   #1689
Distinguished - BHPian

Hacksaw blades are not meant to be bent. In my youth, they simply didn't stand it, they snapped if misused. Subsequently, technology improved to allow the cutting edge to be hard while giving the rest of the blade some flexibility and, yes, they can be bent. But they shouldn't be!

I have that screwdriver too. The double-speed thing is actually useful for doing stuff like taking those far-too-long screws that hold electrical switches/sockets to their wall boxes. Except that now I have a cheapo battery driver for that kind of job.

The screwdrivers will probably come in handy for things like the screws that hold on pump fan covers, where the thing has been installed to be inaccessible, or one screw (idiot design!) points at the ground. I have some right-angle screwdrivers too. When it comes to torque, it is usually not much good without being able to apply pressure too, especially for Philips heads, where the bit can spin out and destroy the star. One just needs... lots of potentially useful stuff!

True, though, that that little driver is not going to take any wood screws out!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 11th November 2017 at 01:21.
Old 12th November 2017, 13:26   #1690
BHPian

Those little screw drivers - chubby screw drivers can be given extra torque if you put a ring spanner on it - all subject to the condition that they are well made ( not the cheapo Chinese ones). I had one which came in handy where there was no space to use a normal handled screw drivers. Its handle was designed in such a way that it can take a ring spanner to apply extra torque.
Prowler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2017, 21:54   #1691
Senior - BHPian

How to prevent rust on screwdriver bits? I have tried using sandpaper & applying little oil but rust reappears after few months. Section of bit not exposed to air doesn't rust though, check flat bit of 2nd image.

Tools for a DIYer-img_2017112901.jpeg

Tools for a DIYer-img_2017112902.jpeg
Old 29th November 2017, 22:50   #1692
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm afraid that the only answer, probably, is to buy bits that don't rust.

Otherwise... Keep the oxygen away from the iron: lightly oil them.
Old 30th November 2017, 18:13   #1693
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
How to prevent rust on screwdriver bits? I have tried using sandpaper & applying little oil but rust reappears after few months. Section of bit not exposed to air doesn't rust though, check flat bit of 2nd image.
Rust is primarily caused by humidity. Use a rust remover to get rid of the rust.

Thereafter, keep all tools away from damp places and coat them with WD-40 or a light oil for e.g. sewing machine oil. You can also apply a very thin coat of vaseline (preferred over grease) as with car battery clamps and terminals.
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2017, 20:58   #1694
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post

Attachment 1700871

Attachment 1700872
Store in Tupperware or similar.
And buy better quality bits!

Regards
Sutripta
Old 30th November 2017, 23:09   #1695
Distinguished - BHPian

A lot of the bits that come in sets rust. We need some miracle substance the covers without leaving stickiness.

How would a slight smearing of silicon grease work, I wonder?

... ... ...

OK, I just wire-brushed and silicon-grease smeared the bits with my favourite Skill ratchet screwdriver, which had got some rust. Ask me in a couple of years!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks