Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2018, 23:37   #1816
BHPian

Re: Tools for a DIYer

Tools for a DIYer-41gfsbipxbl.jpg

Experts,
I need to buy a Grease Gun. Vehicle on which it is to be used is a Thar Di.
My uses are very low and greasing will be needed once in 6 months.

There are three type grease guns (for home DIY purpose)-

1. Mini Grease Gun:-
Capacity - 120 gms, Pressure – up to 6000 PSI
My likes -Small capacity is good for casual use/ different type greases (Chassis/ WB).
My dislike – Quality of material.
My Confusion- a) Can we fill it by simple spooning method/ by hand at home because cartridges are difficult to find and costly?. If there is only cartridge filling then it is useless.
b) This model do not have ‘Air Release Valve’ like its 450 gm model, will it affect adversely?

2. Leaver Grease Gun:-
Capacity - 500 gms, Pressure – up to 10000 PSI
My likes - Air Release Valve
My dislike – Capacity is too big, difficult to clean. For less use, it is not a practical thing.
My Confusion- a) Can we fill it by simple spooning method/ by hand at home because cartridges are difficult to find and costly? If there is only cartridge filling then it is useless.

3. Push Type Grease Gun:-
Capacity - 125 gms, Pressure – up to 1000 PSI
My likes – Easy to fill (Hand fill)
My Confusion- Pressure is to less, only 1000 PSI. Is it capable to push the grease in propeller shaft nipples & rear axle Wheel Bearing nipples?

Last edited by (Alok) : 21st March 2018 at 23:38.
Old 22nd March 2018, 11:00   #1817
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Alok) View Post
Attachment 1744245

Experts,

There are three type grease guns (for home DIY purpose)-

1. Mini Grease Gun:-
Capacity - 120 gms, Pressure – up to 6000 PSI

2. Leaver Grease Gun:-
Capacity - 500 gms, Pressure – up to 10000 PSI

3. Push Type Grease Gun:-
Capacity - 125 gms, Pressure – up to 1000 PSI
My likes – Easy to fill (Hand fill)
My Confusion- Pressure is to less, only 1000 PSI. Is it capable to push the grease in propeller shaft nipples & rear axle Wheel Bearing nipples?
I had this push type grease gun for my Bullet Motorcycle. It just about served the purpose. For cars, it won't have sufficient pressure.
The mini lever type grease gun can be loaded with grease without any cartridge.

Crawling under the car/jeep/SUV with a grease gun, once in 6 months sounds like a torture to me. Modern cars don't require greasing every few months. They would be lubricated adequately every time they go for their annual/bi-annual service.
Old 22nd March 2018, 12:49   #1818
Senior - BHPian

I once had the side lever gun. That was when we had an ambassador. Once we switched over to Maruti and other modern cars, there was no regular greasing required, and the gun was sold. I strongly recommend this type of gun. Just keep in mind that after every use, you have to take the grease out of the gun, store it in a sealed container. Of course clean and lubricate the gun for storage.

With such low usage and long intervals, it is pointless to buy a grease gun. Long intervals will deteriorate the grease in the gun. The only reason that I can envisage for acquiring one is if you are based in a remote region or a jungle, away from normal highways.

I suggest that you find places where trucks are serviced. They will have a high pressure grease system, and you can visit them once in six months. That will not only save you money, but also the effort of crawling under the vehicle.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2018, 15:47   #1819
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Experts,
I need to buy a Grease Gun. ...
Maybe relevant, maybe not, but I bought a set of chisels and punches from Amazon with "JCB" brand. It was horrible, soft steel, and quite useless. I booked the return within minutes of opening the package.

The replacement "Stanley" item/package was identical in appearance. There is such a Stanley product; whether I have the genuine one or not I don't know, but at least it saw some heat treatment.
Old 22nd March 2018, 16:55   #1820
Distinguished - BHPian

My grease gun is very similar to your number 2, the leaver operated one.
Yes it has a big capacity, but I just fill it with a bit of the grease I will be needing. Also, you can get cartridges which makes it even easier changing the type of grease.

The one issue could be the size, if you need to be in an awkard place and work the leaver that could get tricky. Mine has a hose type of adapter instead of the long fixed nozzel which helps too.

Jeroen
Old 22nd March 2018, 21:41   #1821
BHPian

Thanks for reply friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
The mini lever type grease gun can be loaded with grease without any cartridge.
What the search I did on internet, it shows in all the YouTube videos by just replacing cartridge and I doubt that the hand-filling means air voids and result will be loss in pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
I suggest that you find places where trucks are serviced. They will have a high pressure grease system, and you can visit them once in six months. That will not only save you money, but also the effort of crawling under the vehicle.
My previous service centre was having a pneumatic grease gun but now my mechanic has shifted and in new service center and there is no grease gun.
Truck service center will not agree to touch small vehicle and that for only greasing.
Besides all this service centers and road guys who greases trucks use only single type grease and most importantly if any grease nipple is chocked, they do not bother to open it and just say ‘ho gaya’.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Maybe relevant, maybe not, but I bought a set of chisels and punches from Amazon with "JCB" brand. It was horrible, soft steel, and quite useless. I booked the return within minutes of opening the package.

The replacement "Stanley" item/package was identical in appearance. There is such a Stanley product; whether I have the genuine one or not I don't know, but at least it saw some heat treatment.
Yes it is relevant sir. I suspect the same by looking the product in picture itself (JCB). How is Groz tools product?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
My grease gun is very similar to your number 2, the leaver operated one.
Yes it has a big capacity, but I just fill it with a bit of the grease I will be needing.
Mostly available guns on internet are near about 500 gms capacity. How is yours?
If it can be used for small quantity like 100/150 gms and can be hand filled I am more inclined to order a good quality product with ‘Air release Valve’ function from Stanley or Groz.

Quote:
The one issue could be the size, if you need to be in an awkard place and work the leaver that could get tricky. Mine has a hose type of adapter instead of the long fixed nozzel which helps too.
Thanks. I will also get one with flexible hose.
(Alok) is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2018, 22:18   #1822
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

Once again, try Taparia.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 23rd March 2018, 00:17   #1823
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Mostly available guns on internet are near about 500 gms capacity. How is yours?
If it can be used for small quantity like 100/150 gms and can be hand filled I am more inclined to order a good quality product with ‘Air release Valve’ function from Stanley or Groz.

Thanks. I will also get one with flexible hose.
Not quite sure, but 500 gas sounds about right. Yes, you can scoop in any amount of grease you like.

Good luck

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2018, 00:21   #1824
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Once again, try Taparia.
I'm converted already!

My main spanner sets; c-clamps in several sizes. Yes, good, solid stuff. It was just a neat little chisel/punch set. The online-buying story actually had three chapters: I'll spare you the other details!
Old 23rd March 2018, 11:57   #1825
Senior - BHPian

Actually there are quite a few hand tool manufacturers who export "Chrome Vanadium" steel tools. Of these Taparia and Everest are best known. Gedore which is now Jhalani was one of the best, but I have no idea whether they are still in this business.

In short for durable spanners and sockets look out for "Chrome Vanadium" stamped on each piece.
Aroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2018, 18:47   #1826
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Mine has a hose type of adapter instead of the long fixed nozzel which helps too.
How many hands do you need to operate it?

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2018, 02:11   #1827
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Obviously, any Good mechanic will grow a third arm and hand over time! But seriously, this one clips onto the grease nipple. As long as you don't need to much force/pressure to get the grease in it's ok. Otherwise it's one hand in the hose, wedge the grease gun against something and use the other hand to operate lever.

Tools for a DIYer-imageuploadedbyteambhp1521837641.513451.jpg
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2018, 13:51   #1828
BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 1744245

Experts,
Alok, I got a Tata agrico lever type grease gun with both flexible and fixed extension for my thar Di. It serves my purpose fine.

Quote:

Regards
Sutripta
I found that a 4 jaw coupler works fine, eliminating the need of the third hand I mean to hold the coupler in place incase of a flexible extension.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 10th May 2018 at 21:34. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote option (QUOTE+) while quoting and responding to multiple posts. Thanks.
sugathan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2018, 18:58   #1829
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
I am planning a brake pad + rotor DIY (stock) in the coming week.
I just got my brake set. All are OEM spec. The details:

a) Front - KBX 275 x 25 mm, ventilated.
b) Rear - Bosch 270 x 9 mm, solid
c) Pads - Bosch

One of the factory fitted rear rotors (right rear) has an uneven surface probably due to the pad which had 4 mm friction material back in Jan. 3 mm is the minimum. It's probably near minimum service level by now. These rear pads also give off a lot of black dust while the front ones do not.

I just decided to replace all 4 rotors. OEM supplier quality (Bosch and KBX) aftermarket parts are way cheaper than OEM. Price difference? It is just Rs 2K for aftermarket while the OEMs are 5.6K which makes for a huge difference in overall costs. I bought them online from a GREAT seller (genuine parts dot com) about whom I'll be discussing in the online spare part purchases thread.

The 4 discs weigh approx. 20 Kgs. Installation planned for later in the week. This will be the very first time I will be using aftermarket products (except ICE) in this car. Hope they fit perfectly and work as good as the OEM!

Pics of the tools etc to follow soon.

Last edited by R2D2 : 16th April 2018 at 19:09.
R2D2 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th April 2018, 20:22   #1830
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Pics of the tools etc to follow soon
Awaiting these details Sir.

Can you please list out the tools that you plan to use for the brake job?!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks