Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2018, 10:46   #1846
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tools for a DIYer

Guys, what is your opinion on Cordless screwdrivers. Are they worth plonking in the money ? I am eyeing this model from Bosch

https://www.amazon.in/Bosch-Go-Smart...ct_top?ie=UTF8
Old 12th June 2018, 10:50   #1847
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Guys, what is your opinion on Cordless screwdrivers. Are they worth plonking in the money ? I am eyeing this model from Bosch
Make sure you buy a cordless screwdriver or drill with a lithium-ion battery. Avoid models with the older NiCd batteries.
Old 12th June 2018, 11:26   #1848
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

In my opinion it is not of much use, especially for occasional jobs. Worth the investment on if you use it a lot, day in and day out.

Personally I find a set of dedicated screw drivers a much better option - easy to use, better grip and better torque for those stubborn stuck screws.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2018, 11:57   #1849
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Make sure you buy a cordless screwdriver or drill with a lithium-ion battery. Avoid models with the older NiCd batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
In my opinion it is not of much use, especially for occasional jobs. Worth the investment on if you use it a lot, day in and day out.

Personally I find a set of dedicated screw drivers a much better option - easy to use, better grip and better torque for those stubborn stuck screws.
The Bosch one mentioned above by sagarpadaki has a Li-Ion battery, so should be able to hold charge longer and be usable for simple screw in / outs. Don't expect any force / drilling power.

I have a B&D (https://www.amazon.in/Decker-KC4815-...D4N4B2F2CE2RX1) which spends more time plugged in than being used, as charge retentivity is extremely poor due to the NiCd battery. One of my bad investments in power tools if I may say so.

For all serious work, I use my Bosch drill & Makita impact driver (both corded).
Old 12th June 2018, 12:15   #1850
Distinguished - BHPian

I have this and it is outstanding. Even bought an adapter for use with nuts and bolts. And also bought a drill adapter for small drill bits.

Highly recommended. Holds charge forever.

https://www.amazon.in/Bosch-GDR-120-...ch+screwdriver

I got a good deal on one of the snap deal sales a few years ago for Rs. 4000.

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 12th June 2018 at 12:18.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2018, 14:01   #1851
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
I have this and it is outstanding. Even bought an adapter for use with nuts and bolts. And also bought a drill adapter for small drill bits.

Highly recommended. Holds charge forever.

https://www.amazon.in/Bosch-GDR-120-...ch+screwdriver

I got a good deal on one of the snap deal sales a few years ago for Rs. 4000.
What is your main usage of this tool?

I am mainly looking for something that can screw/ unscrew into pretty hard wood. I am not able to apply enough downward force along with rotational force with my hand to push and turn the screws into wood with hand held screw driver. So was wondering if i should go with an impact driver or a normal cordless driver.
Old 12th June 2018, 14:08   #1852
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I am mainly looking for something that can screw/ unscrew into pretty hard wood. I am not able to apply enough downward force along with rotational force with my hand to push and turn the screws into wood with hand held screw driver. So was wondering if i should go with an impact driver or a normal cordless driver.

Just a thought, make sure you get the appropriate screw driver bits for the screw. Can make a big difference. I have the green version of this one and I find it an extremely versatile tool. But I have invested in several sets of different high quality screw bits.

Jeroen
Old 12th June 2018, 14:21   #1853
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

It looks good, and I'd probably definately buy it on Tejas's recommendation alone. Especially at this price, which is not that much more than my very simple B&D 4-AA-battery driver.

My most frequent use of an electric screwdriver is removing and replacing the cover plates of electrical switches and and sockets. The screws are long, but there is not much torque involved and I don't need much power, just time saving. Otherwise, if I need to put a two-inch screw into a wall I use the drill. No, it isn't the right tool for the job, but it gets it done, even if I have to do the last couple of turns and final tightening by hand.

This looks like a great buy, and my only reservation is that if you want it primarily for construction work, and will use regularly, then that might indicate something much more heavy duty.

The most use I ever made of an electric screwdriver was back in the day when I was regularly taking off PC covers, inserting/changing boards, etc. The screwdriver came free with a bulk purchase of CDs (or maybe it was still floppies back then: I forget) and was one of the most useful ans used tools we had.

As for having the right bit: if it didn't come with the driver I'm using, chances are that I have one, that fits, from one of my other screwdriver kits.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 12th June 2018 at 14:22.
Old 12th June 2018, 14:21   #1854
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Just a thought, make sure you get the appropriate screw driver bits for the screw. Can make a big difference. I have the green version of this one and I find it an extremely versatile tool. But I have invested in several sets of different high quality screw bits.

Jeroen
I have a wide range of screw driver bits . Are you referring to the different types of bits or quality of the bits. If it is the latter then i do not know how i can check if the quality of the bits that i have are good/bad.
Old 12th June 2018, 14:24   #1855
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Everything. Mostly for the tougher jobs. And i do a lot of DIY on my car and at home and in the garage though i don't get enough time to showcase it here.

And yes as Jeroen said, getting the right bits is important.

This is something you would buy once and keep for a long time, so i'd recommend the impact type over the regular type anyday.

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 12th June 2018 at 14:25.
Old 12th June 2018, 14:31   #1856
BHPian

Quote:

Will you be pre-drilling a hole for the screw to go in?
If not, then a normal cordless screwdriver will not help. Also you would need self drilling screws and an impact driver if you want to insert screws without pre-drilling.
I have a cordless impact driver and still, I prefer a pre-drilled hole as it makes the job so much easier getting the screw in.
Old 12th June 2018, 14:42   #1857
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdst_1 View Post
If not, then a normal cordless screwdriver will not help. Also you would need self drilling screws and an impact driver if you want to insert screws without pre-drilling.
I have a cordless impact driver and still, I prefer a pre-drilled hole as it makes the job so much easier getting the screw in.
Here is a typical use case-
1. I want to hang a cabinet on the wall. So i use a drill with a concrete bit to make a hole of required size. Into that hole i hammer in a wooden gatta. Now i want to screw into the wooden gatta.

2. I want to drill some screws into the ply wood cupboard to hold a shelf.

I want something that can satisfy the screwing requirements of both 1 & 2
Old 12th June 2018, 15:02   #1858
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdst_1 View Post

With the exception of steel, concrete and bricks I never pre drill any hole. Unless maybe over 8mm.
My Bosch will drive any screw into all woods I have encountered in my home.

Jeroen
Old 12th June 2018, 15:18   #1859
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have a wide range of screw driver bits . Are you referring to the different types of bits or quality of the bits. If it is the latter then i do not know how i can check if the quality of the bits that i have are good/bad.

Both quality and the different sizes.

You really need a bit that fits very neatly into the screw. Poor quality bits might not fit that well, but more importantly will easily wear out and start loosing their grip.

If your bits slips, jumps out/over, look at it closely, check for correct size , but also look at the wear of the bit, shavings, deforming of the bit etc

Jeroen
Old 12th June 2018, 15:25   #1860
BHPian

Quote:
Here is a typical use case-
1. I want to hang a cabinet on the wall. So i use a drill with a concrete bit to make a hole of required size. Into that hole i hammer in a wooden gatta. Now i want to screw into the wooden gatta.

2. I want to drill some screws into the ply wood cupboard to hold a shelf.

I want something that can satisfy the screwing requirements of both 1 & 2
1) Stop using wooden blocks and use a plastic screw sleeve/anchor instead. They expand when the screw is driven in and hold the screw more tightly in masonry than a wood block would. Any screw driver will work for the plastic anchor as the hole is pre-drilled.

2)Again, a cheap cordless Li-ion drill/driver will be enough to drill through plywood. I still prefer pre-drilling because it causes less splintering of the wood and hence a cleaner looking hole.

Just make sure the hole is a size smaller than the screw size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
With the exception of steel, concrete and bricks I never pre drill any hole. Unless maybe over 8mm.
My Bosch will drive any screw into all woods I have encountered in my home.

Jeroen
My Dewalt 18V cordless Impact driver will also drive screws in wood and even steel (self-drilling ones) without any issues. However I prefer to drill a hole beforehand in wood because it leaves a cleaner hole and causes less splintering of the wood which is an issue with some softwoods which can leave the joint less secure and even cause a crack along the entire length of the wood. No such issues with hardwood though. I like that the wood should be left an unblemished as possible and I even make sure that the screws are embedded into the wood and then the head covered with a plug making them completely invisible (wherever possible).

Edit - Also, to drive a screw without pre-drilling, one has to ensure that they have the correct posture as one needs to apply some force as well to drive the screw down. This is not possible in some cases when one has to lean over etc. to get to the place where the screw has to be put in. In all such cases too, a pre-drilled hole makes the job of screwing in a lot easier.

Last edited by rdst_1 : 12th June 2018 at 15:32.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks