Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2018, 19:02   #1801
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tools for a DIYer

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Finally! My long awaited consignment of Permatex high temperature brake caliper grease and anti seize compound came in today. No more running to city dealers or purchasing from crooked sites like autopartshub.in/ for speciality lubes.

Permatex® Ceramic Extreme Brake Parts Lubricant

Permatex® Copper Anti-Seize Lubricant

The stuff will last me a lifetime.
I have the same combo as yours and these products are best in the business. Did a recent brake pad and guide pin change on our i20 and used these for doing up the calipers. They go easy on without much smearing/sticking and things are working butter smooth on the brake front after this job!
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2018, 20:30   #1802
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
I have the same combo as yours and these products are best in the business. Did a recent brake pad and guide pin change on our i20 and used these for doing up the calipers. They go easy on without much smearing/sticking and things are working butter smooth on the brake front after this job!
Any local supplier you know of? I had to hunt high and low for this stuff and in the end got it from Europe.

Last edited by R2D2 : 20th February 2018 at 21:00. Reason: typo
Old 20th February 2018, 21:03   #1803
Senior - BHPian

Since a one time effort, you should have also got the nickel filled antisieze compound.
Effective for things like diesel injectors and glow plugs, exhaust manifold/ turbo bolts etc., where copper filled does not cut it.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 20th February 2018, 21:42   #1804
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Since a one time effort, you should have also got the nickel filled antisieze compound. Effective for things like diesel injectors and glow plugs, exhaust manifold/ turbo bolts etc., where copper filled does not cut it.
According to the manufacturer the copper anti-seize grease works for:

• Spark plug threads installed into aluminium engine heads
• Exhaust manifold & engine bolts
• Oxygen sensors
• Knock sensors
• Thermostat housing bolts
• Fuel filter fittings
• Battery cable connections

That covers all my use cases since my cars are petrol driven.

Also, some ingredients in this product are carcinogenic and it should preferably be handled with safety gloves on. It should never be used on wheel nuts or studs.

Last edited by R2D2 : 20th February 2018 at 21:43.
Old 21st February 2018, 14:26   #1805
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Any local supplier you know of? I had to hunt high and low for this stuff and in the end got it from Europe.
Unfortunately no. There is no demand for such high quality lubrication products in our market hence no local supplier.

However, you can order these from amazon.COM with international shipping and they deliver on 10 days flat.

For the copper anti seize, you can get the 3M copper grease which is better than permatex. Just drop a mail to 3M india with a pic or a link to the product and asking for the distributor of it in your city .
Old 21st February 2018, 17:33   #1806
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Unfortunately no. There is no demand for such high quality lubrication products in our market hence no local supplier. However, you can order these from amazon.COM with international shipping and they deliver on 10 days flat. .
True, but they're charging 2x the price with shipping etc. I got my supply from Europe. Had to wait 3 weeks but it wasn't urgent. Tomorrow I am taking my car to a FNG for a rear brake pad replacement and will be using the ceramic stuff during reassembly. Thought I'd get parts from the ASC but the price differential is so much it makes sense to try Bosch from the market. The entire brake system including ABS is Bosch BTW.

Quote:
For the copper anti seize, you can get the 3M copper grease which is better than permatex. Just drop a mail to 3M india with a pic or a link to the product and asking for the distributor of it in your city .
Actually it won't make sense to buy the 3M grease now. The quantity of Permatex copper grease is enough to last me a very, very long time.
Old 21st February 2018, 17:46   #1807
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
True, but they're charging 2x the price with shipping etc. I got my supply from Europe. Had to wait 3 weeks but it wasn't urgent. Tomorrow I am taking my car to a FNG for a rear brake pad replacement and will be using the ceramic stuff during reassembly. Thought I'd get parts from the ASC but the price differential is so much it makes sense to try Bosch from the market. The entire brake system including ABS is Bosch BTW.

Actually it won't make sense to buy the 3M grease now. The quantity of Permatex copper grease is enough to last me a very, very long time.
True that. Even i have the same combo and it is going to last a long long time! Just ensure that you wrap them in a a zip lock pouch and store them . They will last for years !
Old 21st February 2018, 20:26   #1808
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
True that. Even i have the same combo and it is going to last a long long time! Just ensure that you wrap them in a a zip lock pouch and store them . They will last for years !
Why do they need a zip lock bag? Any volatile ingredients? I wouldn't think so, and not at room temperatures at least.

Moisture? Maybe over the long term. Pune has low humidity weather except in the monsoons but I will certainly protect my stash of Permatex.
Old 11th March 2018, 23:45   #1809
BHPian

Guys, I need, or shall I say want a small angle grinder, and to get started have shortlisted two entry level models from Bosch (GWS 600) and Black and Decker (G720R)

Have some questions:
1. The Bosch one seems to have only two slots to fit in the handle. I'm thinking that it will be a bit cumbersome for a cutting job if the handle is parallel to the plane of wheel rotation. But, the fact that a company like Bosch built the machine like this makes me wonder if I'm over emphasizing the need for the third handle location. Your comments please.
2. The Amazon reviewers seem to have problems with the reliability of the Black and Decker. Perhaps it is not a machine for the pros, but hopefully should be okay for a DIYer. Any experience with this grinder on the forum?
3. Finally, hope the grinding wheels are all standard... And Bosch wheels will fit on the Black and Decker or for that matter any 4" angle grinder .

Thanks,
Su-47
Su-47 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2018, 03:09   #1810
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
3. Finally, hope the grinding wheels are all standard...
I have mentioned recently that I would like to have a bench grinder. An angle grinder would be good too, although they are on my list of tools to be afraid of!

I'm sure all wheels are not standard quality, and in this application, quality means safety on a dangerous tool.

I'd appreciate it if anyone who can answer your question could also say a few words about buying safe (as safe as possible) wheels.

Another thing is... I have safety glasses, but no full-face protection. Recently I have heard guys mention that they have been in hospital because of sparks/particles getting over or under their glasses, and that full-face protection is a must.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2018, 08:28   #1811
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
An angle grinder would be good too, although they are on my list of tools to be afraid of!

I'm sure all wheels are not standard quality, and in this application, quality means safety on a dangerous tool.
Yep, it is a scary tool (but a bit less scary than the handheld circular saw).
Quality of wheels is THE reason because of which I want to ensure compatibility of B&D grinder with Bosch wheels. They are easily available, and hopefully are of good quality with less likelihood of breaking in the middle of a job. Also I hope some safety regulation controls the level of harm the wheel debris can cause to humans and the environment.

If you have the space and don't mind losing on the versatility of a hand held grinder, a bench grinder should be safer. I used it while I was in college, and it was quite an easy machine to operate.

Quote:
Another thing is... I have safety glasses, but no full-face protection. Recently I have heard guys mention that they have been in hospital because of sparks/particles getting over or under their glasses, and that full-face protection is a must.
Even I don't have full face protection. With a set of gloves, well fitting eye protection, a breathing mask, and common sense to keep sparks away from my face, I was hoping to be all set. But, if the wisdom of the forum says face protection is a must have, will have to think about it.

One thing I've seen some folks do, is use an angle grinder without the safety guard, and that is quite dangerous.

Cheers!
Old 12th March 2018, 16:32   #1812
Distinguished - BHPian

Nothing protects you from a grinding wheel if something ends its life: not even the guards. You (and I) must wear the proper protection!

I had a hefty, industrial-size motor with a grinding wheel on one side, and a fitting for polishing wheels on the other. And I didn't really know or think about safety way back then. Worse thing that happened was some piece of jewellery pinging past my ear and denting the wall behind me.

Possibly the most dangerous job I have ever done is polishing silver chain, and I did understand that. You might not be surprised at how many people think you should wrap it round a finger or two. Great way to loose fingers! You hold it so that if the wheel does grab it, it pulls it out of your hand without pulling any part of your hand. Yep... even polishing can be dangerous!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th March 2018, 20:38   #1813
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'd appreciate it if anyone who can answer your question could also say a few words about buying safe (as safe as possible) wheels.
Stick to Indian makes :- Carborundum, Grindwell Norton.
Chetan, any comments?
Old 19th March 2018, 22:33   #1814
NH7
BHPian

They are easily available, and hopefully are of good quality with less likelihood of breaking in the middle of a job. Also I hope some safety regulation controls the level of harm the wheel debris can cause to humans and the environment.

Even I don't have full face protection. With a set of gloves, well fitting eye protection, a breathing mask, and common sense to keep sparks away from my face, I was hoping to be all set. But, if the wisdom of the forum says face protection is a must have, will have to think about it.

One thing I've seen some folks do, is use an angle grinder without the safety guard, and that is quite dangerous.

Some practical tips from my side;

Ensure the wheel has a higher rpm rating than the angle grinder( duh).
Remove the wheel from the grinder after the job and store flat.
Have atleast two of the same type wheels. Helps a great deal safety wise- you can resist the temptation to keep going with the worn down wheel. Wear only tight fitting gloves- mechanix type, with anti slip rubberised coating on the palm and cut resistant breathable material on the back. I use clear poly carbonate goggles always AND a bike helmet with vizor( !!), if tackling a tricky job.

Get a variable speed machine while you are at it, its much more versatile.

By the way, Literature in my workplace ( oil and gas industry) says abrasive wheels manufactured more than 12 months back, are not to be used. Reasons are not stated. Guesses anybody??

Last edited by NH7 : 19th March 2018 at 22:57.
Old 20th March 2018, 05:55   #1815
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH7 View Post
By the way, Literature in my workplace ( oil and gas industry) says abrasive wheels manufactured more than 12 months back, are not to be used. Reasons are not stated. Guesses anybody??
Grinding wheels are abrasives bonded together with an adhesive. These adhesive have a shelf life and lose their properties over a period of time and can be dangerous to life and property if things go wrong. So it is advised to use these within a definite time.
unk9ja is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks