Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2015, 11:48   #1051
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tools for a DIYer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Damn, that is one HUGE and solid drill! And looks like a vintage one. Where did you source it from?
The drill is over 45 years old.

The bits I bought in Tajikistan, in 2007 when I had gone there for a 2 week stint. They are Chinese and should be available where ever hardware is sold. In Delhi the main market is in Chawri Bazar, but I believe they are available in Goving Puri also.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2015, 12:13   #1052
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Preferably get one that is 300mm or longer. I have a 20mm carbide, 450mm long drill.
My biggest fear when drilling is the bit breaking and flying as shrapnel. I am not an expert but have broken a bit once though it did not fly. Is this something that happens with the longer bits? How does one protect against?
Old 14th June 2015, 15:34   #1053
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
My biggest fear when drilling is the bit breaking and flying as shrapnel. I am not an expert but have broken a bit once though it did not fly. Is this something that happens with the longer bits? How does one protect against?
A helmet with face shield, eye protection goggles and gloves are a must when using power tools.
regards Arun
Old 14th June 2015, 20:40   #1054
BHPian

Where can I find some high temperature grease, in small quantity, say 0.5-1kg pack? I am talking of copper grease/moly (molybdenum disulfide) grease (commonly, for use in brakes, brake pad replacements). Online or any other outlet preferably in Delhi NCR region would be great. OTOH, any grease, non soap based, capable of withstanding 300-400 degrees C plus, would do.
Old 15th June 2015, 17:40   #1055
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
Where can I find some high temperature grease, in small quantity, say 0.5-1kg pack? I am talking of copper grease/moly (molybdenum disulfide) grease (commonly, for use in brakes, brake pad replacements). Online or any other outlet preferably in Delhi NCR region would be great. OTOH, any grease, non soap based, capable of withstanding 300-400 degrees C plus, would do.
http://www.dowcorning.com/applicatio...OD&country=IND
(http://www.dowcorning.com/applicatio...IND&language=E )
https://www.iocl.com/products/IndustrialGreases.aspx
http://www.tolexo.com/skf-high-visco...se-319215.html
Old 15th June 2015, 19:17   #1056
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
Google and search for any dealers in your area for Omega lubricant. They have some of the best lubricants in the market for extreme application. Omega are Australian based company. But mind you they are pricey though.
Old 16th June 2015, 11:45   #1057
Distinguished - BHPian

Purchased Dremel 3000 off PayTM. Got a sweet 40% cashback which meant the tool cost came to 3900 bucks

Used the tool right away to smooth-en the edge of a table glass to a curved shape using one of the grinding bits provided. The tool did the job well. The rubber body is very ergonomic and helps keep a firm control over the tool.

A must have tool for all DIY'ers
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2015, 10:37   #1058
BHPian

Made a couple of additions to my tools

Automatic wire stripper / cutter

Tools for a DIYer-carton.jpg

Tools for a DIYer-wirestripper.jpg

Glue gun

Tools for a DIYer-gluegun.jpg

Foot switch

Tools for a DIYer-foot-controller.jpg

This is of a local make and is a six speed one. Don't have any specification details stamped on it. The pin reads 9 amps and so it is useless with the angle grinder. As of now I am planning to take it apart and make it more heavy duty and make it a simple on / off type by throwing away the resistors. The singer shop here only had the foot controller and motor combo for sale. I am still on the look out for an industrial grade foot switch like the one below

Tools for a DIYer-foot-controller-industrial-grade.jpg

regards Arun
Old 21st June 2015, 18:01   #1059
Senior - BHPian

So I used Berger's White Primer (ST) Solvent Thinnable on a metal door that I was planning to paint.

http://www.bergerpaints.com/products...hite-primer-st

After putting one entire coat of this primer I was told by someone that this particular primer is only meant for wooden doors and not the metal.

How badly screwed am I? I've wasted almost an entire day putting that one coat on and do not have the energy to strip it down using sandpaper. Is it really going to damage the door if I leave it as it is for a week so that I can get a painter from outside to sand it and then use the right primer, help please :(
Old 22nd June 2015, 10:38   #1060
Senior - BHPian

Spoke to a painter, there isn't any issue and I can use the metal primer and then paint the door, phew!
Old 2nd July 2015, 12:05   #1061
Distinguished - BHPian

I have the screw driver bits like those circled in Red in the below pic. I want to use them with a drill machine which require the kind of adapter circled in Yellow.Any idea where i can get the adapter alone?
Thanks

Tools for a DIYer-tekton2841precisionbits-copy.jpg
Old 2nd July 2015, 14:20   #1062
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
I have the screw driver bits like those circled in Red in the below pic. I want to use them with a drill machine which require the kind of adapter circled in Yellow.Any idea where i can get the adapter alone?
Thanks

Attachment 1388510
You don't need an adaptor. You can insert them and positively lock them in between the 3 jaws of the collet.
Just ensure you have a speed & direction controlling knob in your drill machine.
Old 2nd July 2015, 14:52   #1063
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
You don't need an adaptor. You can insert them and positively lock them in between the 3 jaws of the collet.
Just ensure you have a speed & direction controlling knob in your drill machine.
Thing is those bits are small in length, 2 cms max. And if i am screwing a screw a bit deep(2-3 cms inside from surface) then the collet will not allow the bit to reach the screw head.
Old 2nd July 2015, 18:29   #1064
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thing is those bits are small in length, 2 cms max. And if i am screwing a screw a bit deep(2-3 cms inside from surface) then the collet will not allow the bit to reach the screw head.
Check out at Azeez Trading Company on the SJP road. It is on the left towards KR market from Town hall side just as the Sirsi circle flyover ramp starts. He has a good variety of tools. Speak to the owner who is a Muslim, he will suggest you an alternate if they don't have a solution.

But these days they stay closed during afternoons and close early at 1730-1800hrs due to Ramzan.
Old 2nd July 2015, 19:14   #1065
BHPian

Quote:
I have the screw driver bits like those circled in Red in the below pic. I want to use them with a drill machine
Why don't you use screw driver bits for power drills ?

Tools for a DIYer-drill-bit.jpg

regards adrian

Last edited by adrian : 2nd July 2015 at 19:15.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks