Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2022, 23:53   #2551
BHPian

Re: Tools for a DIYer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
True, the quality of spares used like slider, wheels etc are too compromised in locally fabricated ones. I know a couple of interior designers who did connect me with some of the best suppliers for such items, and after factoring the price, cost between branded and local ones is negligible.
This is not the answer you were looking for, I just want to add a couple obvious points before you make your decision. When you buy a mass produced product, it will do a lot of things moderately well. When you get something custom built, you know what has gone into the build. You may be able to fix, replace things later. You may be able to customize a little bit later to suit your changing needs.

Here is a picture of my normal backyard.
Tools for a DIYer-20220205_172358.jpg

My backyard in workshop mode, with fold out work bench, and rollaway tool carts.
Tools for a DIYer-20220205_150903.jpg

All the tools tucked away in the nooks and crannies of the shed.
Tools for a DIYer-20220205_171612.jpg

All these carts have been built, torn down, and rebuilt more than once to accommodate for the changing requirements, and tool upgrades. If you have specific dimensional needs, you should certainly consider a custom build.
GutsyGibbon is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 8th February 2022, 16:57   #2552
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
This is not the answer you were looking for,

All these carts have been built, torn down, and rebuilt more than once to accommodate for the changing requirements, and tool upgrades. If you have specific dimensional needs, you should certainly consider a custom build.
Hello friend, you have an awesome tool carts with equally good tools. I like the pegboard setup. I am doing similar for my place, but this is mostly for regular use tools and supplies, like drivers, pliers, scissors, tapes etc.

As for the tool trolley, while the custom setup will give us freedom for size and features. A regular one will give us the basic thought layout which is sturdy, ergonomic and safe for the basic / general use tool kit.

I find wurth trolley (7 drawer) good for the tools I have and I still have some spare space.

But you are absolutely correct on doing your own as per the tool kit one has. as that will be perfect fit.
manishalive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2022, 17:27   #2553
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Keep stock of clips just replace them after removing. This will ensure they are in their best strength. When there is mud stuck on either side, irrespective of what tool you use, it would fight against the plastic anchor arms and during removal it will make it weaker. Hence everytime you remove the clip it gets weaker. It hardly costs a rupee or two whenever I have got it and I personally just replace the clips if it takes force to come out. I reuse only clean clips which are located in areas that don't gather mud.
I want to buy some of these plastic clips for some DIY work. Can someone point where to get these in Bangalore? (preferably East Bangalore)
Or should I visit JC Road? Any particular shop there?
Thanks in advance.
Old 23rd February 2022, 11:11   #2554
BHPian

GustyGibbon,

Do you use lumber or ply for your tool carts?
Old 23rd February 2022, 11:40   #2555
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkat_partha View Post
GustyGibbon,
Do you use lumber or ply for your tool carts?
I use both. I build a frame with Douglas fir, and add plywood around it. The surfaces that get lot of wear and tear is certainly plywood, this way I can replace it, when needed. I do use a lot of leftover plywood, they are all the same thickness, but don't necessarily look the same.
GutsyGibbon is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2022, 14:27   #2556
Senior - BHPian

Eid mubaraq folks. My Eidi from misuses. Just delivered . First experiment would be to open the stuck disc brake master cylinder cover of RE Bullet.

Tools for a DIYer-pxl_20220503_083003943.jpg

-BJ
bj96 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 10th May 2022, 05:39   #2557
Distinguished - BHPian

Got this handy Torque Adapter. Using conventional torque wrench is far more cumbersome than this. Post bank offers, I paid ~Rs. 4,300 for it on Amazon:

Tools for a DIYer-20220506_112500.jpg

Tools for a DIYer-20220506_112513.jpg

Tools for a DIYer-20220506_112522.jpg

Tools for a DIYer-20220506_112543.jpg

Tools for a DIYer-20220506_112600.jpg

Tools for a DIYer-20220506_112706.jpg

Name:  GIF 5102022 112338 PM.gif
Views: 622
Size:  2.56 MB

Last edited by Rehaan : 11th May 2022 at 00:00. Reason: Replacing gif :) If its >800px then a static thumbnail gets generated.
Leoshashi is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 9th July 2022, 23:07   #2558

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Got this handy Torque Adapter. Using conventional torque wrench is far more cumbersome than this. Post bank offers, I paid ~Rs. 4,300 for it on Amazon:
Interesting find. Does the adapter reading match those of the the normal torque wrench? And does using an extension on it(since it's so bulky) affect the torque reading? Since it will be wrench > adapter > extension > socket
Old 11th September 2022, 18:18   #2559
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
Eid mubaraq folks. My Eidi from misuses. Just delivered . First experiment would be to open the stuck disc brake master cylinder cover of RE Bullet.

Attachment 2303626

-BJ
Hi BJ,

Last night I failed to open a screw of my Pulsar and in the process have made it all bald. I guess impact drivers are the way forward. I am a bit confused between this (Eastman) and Goodyear's.

How has been your experience in terms of handling the Eastman, typically any shortcomings you observed?

I would also like to have some inputs on good yet sturdy magnetic screwdriver+Philips which is also strong to retain the grooves in the process. The local shop over here never stocks stuff of quality. Please assist.

Last edited by Majumdarda : 11th September 2022 at 18:21.
Old 12th September 2022, 12:17   #2560
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majumdarda View Post
Hi BJ,

Last night I failed to open a screw of my Pulsar and in the process have made it all bald. I guess impact drivers are the way forward. I am a bit confused between this (Eastman) and Goodyear's.

How has been your experience in terms of handling the Eastman, typically any shortcomings you observed?

I would also like to have some inputs on good yet sturdy magnetic screwdriver+Philips which is also strong to retain the grooves in the process. The local shop over here never stocks stuff of quality. Please assist.
In the last 50 years, I have had my share of bolt heads and screw heads rounding off. In all cases it was wrong tool. Unless the screw driver head sits firmly, or the spanner/socket is square and tight, the tools will slip and spoil the screw/nut/bolt. It has nothing to do with hand held or powered tool.

So :
. Use the correct tool and ensure that the screw driver head or the spanner/socket sits square and firm. That is why there are so many sizes and variations of screw driver heads and sockets.

. In case of a treally stubborn piece, instead of force use a chemical to loosen the tight fastner - WD40 or similar.

I have found that 1/2" socket set with various sockets and screw driver heads (flat, phillips, hex etc) do the best job. With power tools you will exert more force and there are chances of stripping the head much faster than with manual tools.My son recently bought a 1/4" socket set along with screw driver tips - about 40 different heads!
Aroy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 13:11   #2561
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
. Use the correct tool and ensure that the screw driver head or the spanner/socket sits square and firm. That is why there are so many sizes and variations of screw driver heads and sockets.

. In case of a treally stubborn piece, instead of force use a chemical to loosen the tight fastner - WD40 or similar.
Exactly the situation with me Roy da, and I learnt the hard way; but lessons learned nevertheless. I am saved that I had not tried my adventures on some critical part and made them useless. Spent quite some time this morning trying to procure the right-sized Taparia Phillips head screwdriver, which sits firmly, but in vain.
Old 12th September 2022, 16:13   #2562
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Last night I failed to open a screw of my Pulsar and in the process have made it all bald. I guess impact drivers are the way forward.
Will an impact driver actually help here?

Can you post a photograph?

Last edited by aah78 : 13th September 2022 at 01:24. Reason: Quote fixed on request.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 16:59   #2563
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Can you post a photograph?

I had visited the local servicing guys earlier today and requested them to try and remove the screw. I guess the screw is more screwed now. I have been suggested to break the panel as there is no way (per them) to open this philips head.

Firstly I do not want to part pieces from my beloved and secondly, even if I have to, I have to first ensure if a brand new LH switch panel of such an old model will be available.

Tools for a DIYer-p1.jpg

Tools for a DIYer-p2.jpg

On a lighter note, the last week I replaced the shock absorbers and a few cables, and nothing came from Bajaj. In fact the choke cable is from a company I have never come across, but this had to be replaced and it's this particular one whose fitting is now stuck at the panel end
Majumdarda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 17:15   #2564
BHPian

Quote:
I had visited the local servicing guys earlier today and requested them to try and remove the screw. I guess the screw is more screwed now. I have been suggested to break the panel as there is no way (per them) to open this philips head.
I have tried the superglue method, and that worked for me. There are many ways. Use the search term "how to remove a stripped screw"
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/How+to+...ed+Screw/13213
GutsyGibbon is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 17:53   #2565
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Firstly I do not want to part pieces from my beloved and secondly, even if I have to, I have to first ensure if a brand new LH switch panel of such an old model will be available.

Attachment 2357747

Attachment 2357748

On a lighter note, the last week I replaced the shock absorbers and a few cables, and nothing came from Bajaj. In fact the choke cable is from a company I have never come across, but this had to be replaced and it's this particular one whose fitting is now stuck at the panel end
Here are steps

Procure screw extractor of the correct size
https://www.amazon.in/3mm-Screw-Extr.../dp/B079N3YCYM
Tools for a DIYer-clipboard01.jpg

. Choose the right size and drill a hole in the screw.
. Now screw in the extractor (counter clockwise)

The extractor will grip the damaged screw and slowly unscrew it.

https://www.amazon.in/YADAV-3-10mm-D...strial&sr=1-39

This one has 2mm for smaller sizes
Aroy is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks